Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that never had the original theatrical version released on home video on any format?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that never had the original theatrical version released on home video on any format?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-21, 05:00 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Are there any movies that have never had the original theatrical version of the movie released on home video on any format? For whatever reason, only an alternate version of the movie was released on home video, but not the original theatrical cut? Thanks to anyone that replies.
Old 08-28-21, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Movies that never had the original theatrical version released on home video on any format?

The Phantom Menace? To my knowledge, the extended landing platform scene, as well as other alterations have been in all of the post theatrical releases. You could probably find slight alterations in the other prequels also, but TPM had the most.
Old 08-28-21, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: Movies that never had the original theatrical version released on home video on any format?

The Program (1993)
Old 08-29-21, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Jimmy Hollywood (1994)
9 1/2 Weeks (1986)
The Wild Life (1984)
Wayne’s World (1992)
Old 08-29-21, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Haven’t all home versions of Godfather 3 been different than the theatrical?
Old 08-29-21, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
The Phantom Menace? To my knowledge, the extended landing platform scene, as well as other alterations have been in all of the post theatrical releases. You could probably find slight alterations in the other prequels also, but TPM had the most.
I'm pretty sure the VHS of TPM was the theatrical cut. Not so for Attack of the Clones. The original film prints didn't show Padmé taking Anakin's mechanical hand at the end, despite it being included in the digital cinema version. The scene of Padmé comforting Anakin after he confesses to
Spoiler:
murdering the Tusken Raiders

was also added back later. In the film print version, she just stands there looking at him before the scene wipe. The only other difference I remember was that Padmé originally said "Yes." when the clone trooper asks if she's alright after falling out of the gunship. That got dubbed over, so now she groans "Uh-huh" instead. I know there was supposed to have been some tweaking done to Revenge of the Sith as well, but any changes were so minor I didn't notice them.

Last edited by joe_b; 08-29-21 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-29-21, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Wonder Boys removed a line about Alan Ladd committing suicide when it was released on VHS/DVD.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...613-story.html

And I suppose you could argue The Shining belongs on the list, as it played the first week with an extra scene of Wendy in the hospital being visited by Ullman. Then Kubrick decided to remove it, but rather than do new film prints, theatres were instructed to have the projectionist cut out that last scene and send it back to the studio. I'm really surprised a copy of this scene has never (to my knowledge) surfaced somewhere, as I'd be very curious to see it.
Old 08-29-21, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,462 Likes on 930 Posts

I thought this thread was about major edits, like how the first DVD release of A Touch of Evil was completely different from the theatrical release. I know of a small edit.

When I saw Return of the Jedi in the theater, an Ewok had a 'cute' death scene where it closed its eyes and turned its head to the side. (Aww.) It was awful. I never saw that scene again.
Old 08-30-21, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I thought this thread was about major edits, like how the first DVD release of A Touch of Evil was completely different from the theatrical release. I know of a small edit.

When I saw Return of the Jedi in the theater, an Ewok had a 'cute' death scene where it closed its eyes and turned its head to the side. (Aww.) It was awful. I never saw that scene again.
There's still a "cute" Ewok death scene, I don't recall it ever showing the dead Ewok up close, just his comrade trying to shake him awake, then kinda sitting back down when the other doesn't wake up.
Old 08-31-21, 12:43 PM

Big had a line deleted where Jon Lovitz says “She’s our company welcome wagon”- on the video he says “Say Hi to her and she’s yours”- the real Welcome Wagon wasn’t happy with it.

Scary Movie is missing the line “Brad Pitt’s ex-girlfriend is a real freak!”
Old 08-31-21, 12:44 PM

Wall Street also had a line about Puerto Ricans that was deleted.
Old 08-31-21, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

I can't remember if Jaws 4: The Revenge had the full theatrical release with Jake's death on home video or not. The altered home video ending has him live.
Old 08-31-21, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is missing the scene with Sloan undressing.
Old 08-31-21, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,201 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Did Michael Mann’s Last of the Mohicans ever have its original cut on video or has it always been the “Director’s Cut”?
Old 08-31-21, 05:41 PM

Never saw Jaws The Revenge because it wasn’t the theatrical version, though it may have played that way in other countries. What version is on streaming?
Old 08-31-21, 06:11 PM

Last of the Mohicans theatrical cut was on laserdisc and VHS.
The following users liked this post:
GoldenJCJ (09-02-21)
Old 09-02-21, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

In the theatrical version of Traffic, Caroline (the daughter of Michael Douglas' character) answers "Cincinnati Country Day" when asked by the cops if she's in school. The (real) school complained about the movie's depiction of "their" students, so the school name was removed in home video releases, and she now simply answers "Yes."
Old 09-02-21, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Never saw Jaws The Revenge because it wasn’t the theatrical version, though it may have played that way in other countries. What version is on streaming?
Amazon Prime has it this month and I thought I saw in the past that Netflix streamed the original version.

It's the alternate ending with Jake surviving and the shark blowing up.

Last edited by devilshalo; 09-02-21 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-02-21, 02:43 PM

Minor change in Bruce Almighty, the pager with the call from God originally showed a real phone number which surprised me (wasn’t able to write it down) but was changed to a 555 number for the DVD.
Old 09-02-21, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
The Program (1993)
There was a Hong Kong laserdisc with the original film.