Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Minor characters that were featured relatively prominently in the movie's advertising?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Minor characters that were featured relatively prominently in the movie's advertising?

Old 08-16-21, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 930 Likes on 709 Posts
Re: Minor characters that were featured relatively prominently in the movie's advertising?

I wouldn't exactly call them "minor characters", but I definitely don't think the foreground characters in this image are the leads the way you might think just from looking at it:

Old 08-16-21, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
Re: Minor characters that were featured relatively prominently in the movie's advertising?

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
You were saying Marion was not a minor character in Psycho, and I was agreeing with you.

I was also agreeing that having Casey be played by a movie star made her presence and death important, even though the character itself is a minor character. So, again, I am agreeing with you.
However, If Casey had been played by a nobody, she would have just been the first victim who disappeared from the film after the first scene and was never spoken of again --practically the definition of a minor character.

How do you not understand what I am saying?
Oh, you mansplaining Janet Leigh in Psycho was your attempt at saying you agreed with me? It did NOT come off that way.

And I disagree about a star needing to be in that Scream role. To many who watch Psycho now, Janet Leigh may not be a big star, but her character's death still has resonance, even if it's a different kind. It's all in the quality of filmmaking, and I think that opening scene from Scream stands on its own. We'll agree to disagree.
Old 08-16-21, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,072 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Oh, you mansplaining Janet Leigh in Psycho was your attempt at saying you agreed with me? It did NOT come off that way.
Again, you said Marion was not a minor character, and I was agreeing with you. If you didn't understand that, then that's about you. You accuse me of mansplaining to you, when I have no fucking clue who you are. So revealing on your part, but I can't compose my posts to account for any potential prisms of victimhood through which anyone is determined to read them.

And I disagree about a star needing to be in that Scream role. To many who watch Psycho now, Janet Leigh may not be a big star, but her character's death still has resonance, even if it's a different kind. It's all in the quality of filmmaking, and I think that opening scene from Scream stands on its own. We'll agree to disagree.
You disagree with me about Scream despite the fact that my explanation is the exact same explanation that Drew Barrymore and Wes Craven make about their intentions with the scene. Good for you!

I don't believe in agreeing to disagree when I am right, but I'll stop posting about Scream and Psycho.
Old 08-16-21, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Alec Baldwin is in about 5 minutes of the movie. It's a hell of a 5 minutes......but still 5 minutes
Old 08-17-21, 08:24 AM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

I'd say Iron Man in Spider-Man- Homecoming. He was all over the advertising, and almost all those scenes were in the trailers lol.
Some of the later Saw movies with Tobin Bell
The newer Mortal Kombat and Sub-Zero/Scorpion (especially the latter)
Old 08-17-21, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tommyp007

Alec Baldwin is in about 5 minutes of the movie. It's a hell of a 5 minutes......but still 5 minutes
That poster doesn't even show Brandon St. Randy
Old 01-13-22, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From an article published this morning:

Leaving aside the symbolic sadism of killing off one of the most beloved child actors characters in movie history, Barrymore’s casting was, like Janet Leigh’s participation in Psycho, a shrewd exercise in wrong-footing an audience. Just as viewers in 1960 would have expected Leigh to escape the Bates Motel rather than become collateral damage, Barrymore’s celebrity seemed to offer her a kind of protective shield. Instead, screenwriter Kevin Williamson weaponized the star’s fame against itself, setting up a mandate of Darwinian ruthlessness that gave the film its serrated edge. “[You were] sure she’s the star of the movie,” recalled Dimension Films executive Richard Potter in The Ringer’s recent oral history of Scream. “There’s no way she’s going to die. When she dies at the end of that sequence, you’re going to go, ‘Anyone could die.’”
https://www.theringer.com/movies/202...nchise-history
Old 01-13-22, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
I wouldn't exactly call them "minor characters", but I definitely don't think the foreground characters in this image are the leads the way you might think just from looking at it:

Because Pearce and Crowe were still nobodies back then. Everyone else was already established.
Old 01-13-22, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's been a long time since I've seen LA Confidential; were Kim Basinger's breasts the stars of the movie?
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (01-13-22)
Old 01-13-22, 10:58 AM

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,088 Posts

IBJoel (01-13-22)
Old 01-13-22, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
From an article published this morning:

https://www.theringer.com/movies/202...nchise-history
Then why does the scene work for audiences now who don't know who the fuck Drew Barrymore was when she was a kid? My whole point was that if the scene is done right, you don't need a star for a scene to stand the test of time and have resonance. How does this article contradict that? Are you saying the scene loses all impact if you don't know who Barrymore was as a kid?

I don't know the name of the actress whose character was the first killed in Suspiria, but the filmmaking made that scene memorable and have a great impact. If the filmmaking in Scream hadn't been on point, then all it would have been was a cheap pop because of casting that wouldn't hold up for future audiences who don't know her as a star. My contention is that the scene stands on its own even for audiences who don't know Barrymore, meaning you really didn't need a star aside from getting a cheap pop, but I guess you disagree.
Old 01-13-22, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts

Sly Stallone in Driven
Old 01-13-22, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Then why does the scene work for audiences now who don't know who the fuck Drew Barrymore was when she was a kid? My whole point was that if the scene is done right, you don't need a star for a scene to stand the test of time and have resonance. How does this article contradict that? Are you saying the scene loses all impact if you don't know who Barrymore was as a kid?

I don't know the name of the actress whose character was the first killed in Suspiria, but the filmmaking made that scene memorable and have a great impact. If the filmmaking in Scream hadn't been on point, then all it would have been was a cheap pop because of casting that wouldn't hold up for future audiences who don't know her as a star. My contention is that the scene stands on its own even for audiences who don't know Barrymore, meaning you really didn't need a star aside from getting a cheap pop, but I guess you disagree.
Films can impact a contemporary audience differently than future audiences. Even if a movie stands the test of time you don't get the same impact that audiences got when the movie was new.
The Cowboys with John Wayne. Bruce Dern kills John Wayne. He doesn't just kill him, he shoots him in the back. Dern received hate mail for years. Because it was Wayne he killed,and what Wayne represented to audiences at the time, it had a profound effect on his career. People viewed him as a villain or psycho. Not because he killed the character, but because he killed John Wayne. Today's audience couldn't give a fuck if it's John Wayne.
Old 01-13-22, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 397 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
Sly Stallone in Driven
At least he was the 2nd lead, but I can't figure out why Kip Pardue didn't conquer Hollywood, after this breakthrough performance.
Old 01-13-22, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All I know is that everything you have said about Scream is directly contradicted by the people who made the movie, including Barrymore.

There is a meta level to the scene in Scream. The scene can "work for you" as (literally) the opening scene of a horror movie where the killer takes his first victim. However, there is another level of meaning going on with the scene, and if you don't understand that level, then you don't completely understand the scene.

Barrymore was cast and killed in that scene to produce an effect on the audiences that saw the movie in 1996, as explained in the article I posted. The actress had to be a star for the scene to do what they wanted it to do, but I guess you disagree. But you're not just disagreeing with me, you are disagreeing with the film-makers. I, personally, am willing to take them at their word about what their intentions were, especially since they have been saying the same thing for 25 years.

I completely understand how the scene in Casablanca where the crowd sings La Marseillaise and drowns out the Nazis works within the dramatic context of the movie,, and I can even feel some emotion watching it. But I don't fully understand and can never experience what that scene felt like for an audience watching it in 1943, and the film-makers made the movie for a war time audience, so they had intentions and expectations for how that scene would play.
Old 01-13-22, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

Some may say Bryan Cranston or Elizabeth Olsen. Others may say Godzilla.

Old 01-13-22, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
At least he was the 2nd lead, but I can't figure out why Kip Pardue didn't conquer Hollywood, after this breakthrough performance.

He's a scumbag:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kip_Pardue

On October 31, 2018, the Hermosa Beach Police Department announced it was investigating a report of sexual misconduct filed by actress and intimacy coordinator Sarah Scott, who alleged she was "sexually violated while at work" in May by Pardue, her former costar.[5] On July 7, 2019, SAG-AFTRA, a labor union, fined him $6,000 for sexually harassing Scott.[6]
Old 01-13-22, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,159 Likes on 2,035 Posts

How does one become an “Intimacy Coordinator”?
Old 01-13-22, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Gotta side with Dooku on Scream. Craven & Williamson casting Barrymore was very intentional as was misleading audiences in advertising. Drew was basically the only star amongst mostly unknowns. Throwing her out front and center gets buts in the seats AND they get to blow people's minds in the opening minutes, and letting audiences know this isn't your typical horror flick.

Of course decades later all that intention is lost on a modern audience and it plays just as well as if Barrymore is an unknown. I watched it with my kids last week for the first time. It's aged very well...and they loved it. It didn't cross my mind about not knowing Barrymore and the context.

It works both ways, but the creators' original intent was always pretty transparent.
Count Dooku (01-14-22)
Old 01-13-22, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Charlize Theron in the Road. She was featured very prominently in the trailers and they probably showed all her scenes in the trailer
Old 01-13-22, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
How does one become an “Intimacy Coordinator”?
Sanitation Engineer = Janitor
Intimacy Coordinator = Fluffer
GoldenJCJ (01-13-22)
Old 01-13-22, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,159 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Old 01-14-22, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts

This is probably not quite what the OP had in mind, but I remember reading something about the Chinese print ads (and possibly TV and radio commercials) mentioning that Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars had dozens of big name stars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3HkC3FjnRc

I don't know how true that is about the ads but while technically accurate, the claim about having a star-studded cast was a bit of a gag.
Spoiler:
In the final minute or so of the movie after a huge fight destroys a cafeteria, an elevator opens up and dozens upon dozens of Hong Kong celebrities come pouring out. They each have one line, which is, 'You've gotta be kidding me.' That means all those people had a speaking part in the film. If a Hollywood movie were to try a stunt like this today, the studio might get sued for false advertising.

Old 01-14-22, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Sanitation Engineer = Janitor
Intimacy Coordinator = Fluffer
I always figured an "intimacy coordinator" was either like a coach who sat on the set of a movie or tv show barking out orders like "Tug on her nipples! Slide your finger up her ass! Aim it at her tits, Eddie!" or a kind of ASMR thing where it's a woman whispering instructions like "Gently glide your fingers across her belly... Softly cradle her hip.... Aim it at her tits, Eddie..."
Old 01-14-22, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Charlize Theron in the Road. She was featured very prominently in the trailers and they probably showed all her scenes in the trailer
Curiously, her character still has more of a presence in the movie than in the book.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.