Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How bad do you think Dune (2021) will bomb?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: How bad do you think Dune will bomb?
$20-40M total gross
6.06%
$40-60M total gross
6.06%
$60-80M total gross
27.27%
$80-100M total gross
12.12%
$100-150M total gross
9.09%
It will surprise everyone and be a hit
12.12%
I don't care about box office at all. I will watch it, but I simply don't care
27.27%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

How bad do you think Dune (2021) will bomb?

Old 08-12-21, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts
Re: How bad do you think Dune (2021) will bomb?

I always assumed this would underperform regardless of the pandemic. Fans will appreciate it (like myself) but I never saw this connecting with mass audience who aren't aware of the source material.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (08-12-21)
Old 08-12-21, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I always assumed this would underperform regardless of the pandemic. Fans will appreciate it (like myself) but I never saw this connecting with mass audience who aren't aware of the source material.
I sort of agree. It feels like a heavy sci-fi film, and in general those don’t do well. It also seems like a film that’s going to require sequels to tell its story, and I doubt that will happen if it’s a box office disaster.

My guess is it’ll be well reviewed and loved fans though.
Old 08-12-21, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
He’s a great director so he’ll continue to get work. Whether or not studios keep tossing him $150 - 160 million projects is another story.
Yeah it sucks when a director is handcuffed by a limited budget. Until some movies bust out big BO, it might become standard to keep budgets in tow.
Old 08-12-21, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
He’s a great director so he’ll continue to get work. Whether or not studios keep tossing him $150 - 160 million projects is another story.
I wouldn't mind more movies like Prisoners or Sicario. With his big budget movies he chose the hard way. He's not making Marvel, DC or Star Wars, he chose difficult IPs. It's the audiences who aren't that open to those movies, which is a damn shame.
Old 08-12-21, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,821 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Couple that with fans (such as myself) who will wait to see it as a rental or something for ... reasons. I just don't have faith that it will translate effectively. I bet there are plenty of skeptical fans, so that leaves only the diehards. The real mystery is why the project got greenlit in the first place.
Old 08-12-21, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
Couple that with fans (such as myself) who will wait to see it as a rental or something for ... reasons. I just don't have faith that it will translate effectively. I bet there are plenty of skeptical fans, so that leaves only the diehards. The real mystery is why the project got greenlit in the first place.
It's a great story. No mystery there.

Is it an easily adaptable story for the mass audience? Eh, not really. And it really does make me pessimistic that we'll get the second half made. I really can't understand why they wouldn't make it all at once like they did Lord of the Rings.

Even if it doesn't get finished, I can still see myself buying this on 4K to watch this great cast mucking about in the desert for 2.5 hours because it looks so good.
Old 08-12-21, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
It's a great story. No mystery there.

Is it an easily adaptable story for the mass audience? Eh, not really. And it really does make me pessimistic that we'll get the second half made. I really can't understand why they wouldn't make it all at once like they did Lord of the Rings.

Even if it doesn't get finished, I can still see myself buying this on 4K to watch this great cast mucking about in the desert for 2.5 hours because it looks so good.
Movies are made to make money, not tell great stories. Which means someone thought this film would bring in enough money to be considered a success.
The following 2 users liked this post by Noonan:
story (08-12-21), Why So Blu? (08-12-21)
Old 08-12-21, 01:39 PM

Also, if I recall correctly, it took many years before the first book actually caught on. No mistake, I love it, and its sequels (at least those solely written by Frank) but I'm not sure it's that great of a story, more like an acquired taste!

ETA I will totally buy it in 4k.
Old 08-12-21, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The book isn't the screenplay. The goal is to take those parts of the book that work and adapt those to the screen, so I don't really get the unfilmable notion. That being said you can have a masterpiece like the Lord of the Rings or butcher it like The Dark Tower. Villeneuve is a great director, so I do believe he is able to make a movie that tells the story of Dune, while appealing to a mass audience. I never thought it could be a billion dollar movie, but I also never thought it's a just for hardcore fans.
Readers are only a small percentage of the movie going audience, it helps to be a bestseller, but the success of a movie lies on the people who didn't read the books or comics. Hardly anybody reads comics but everybody watched comic book adaptations, which also only take bits of the source material and work just fine.
Old 08-12-21, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Runaway
The book isn't the screenplay.
If you say so!

But the story is what was brought up, which is a story full of murky politics, religiosity, and perceptions based on interiority.

Not exactly kibble for the average sci-fi crowd these days, who just want cool giant worms and fights.
Old 08-12-21, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I often feel like once someone or some fanbase throws out, "Unfilmable" when it comes to certain works, it's like they set up a mindset that is self fulfilling. Like no matter how good something filmed is, they will always not give it a fair chance or even admit it was better than they thought it would be. I see them come in already thinking "its gonna suck!!".

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-13-21 at 12:08 PM.
GoldenJCJ (08-12-21)
Old 08-12-21, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I often feel like once someone or some fanbase throws out, "Unfilmable" when it comes to certain works, it's like they set up a mindset that is self fulfilling. Like no matter how good something filmed is, they will always not give it a fair chance or even admit it was better than they thought it would be. I se them come in already thinking "its gonna suck!!".
I believe this only applies if that fan or fanbase actually tried filming it themselves, only then would their prophecy be fulfilled, just like Leto II's prophecy was fulfilled. When you see everything, it gets tricky.
Old 08-12-21, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I often feel like once someone or some fanbase throws out, "Unfilmable" when it comes to certain works, it's like they set up a mindset that is self fulfilling. Like no matter how good something filmed is, they will always not give it a fair chance or even admit it was better than they thought it would be. I se them come in already thinking "its gonna suck!!".
Unfilmable to me is a term when special effects used to suck.
Old 08-12-21, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Critically acclaimed, but it still kind of sucked. It wasn't a very good movie, so it didn't find an audience. It was a huge disappointment, story wise. And Harrison Ford was sleepwalking through his performance.

I beg to differ. In the time since it's release it, like it's predecessor, has found a fanbase amongst the populace, albeit a small one. Granted, a lot of them are the same ones who discovered the original late in life like I did, but I wouldn't call it a disappointment storywise. Ford was sleepwalking though, like most of his stuff nowadays.
Old 08-12-21, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember back in 2001 we had a thread called "Who Thinks LOTR Will Flop?" Needless to say, it didn't and the thread was closed. I think this is a different case, but one does have to ask the question: if LOTR were made today would it be able to catch on like it did back in 2001? This may sound nuts, but I think a lot of the success of the first LOTR movie could be attributed to the aftermath of 9/11 and audiences craving pure escapism with clear cut bad guys and good guys in their stories. One could argue we need escapism now more than ever , but unlike then, the threat wasn't something that one could encounter by simply breathing the air in a room.
Old 08-13-21, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I remember back in 2001 we had a thread called "Who Thinks LOTR Will Flop?" Needless to say, it didn't and the thread was closed. I think this is a different case, but one does have to ask the question: if LOTR were made today would it be able to catch on like it did back in 2001? This may sound nuts, but I think a lot of the success of the first LOTR movie could be attributed to the aftermath of 9/11 and audiences craving pure escapism with clear cut bad guys and good guys in their stories. One could argue we need escapism now more than ever , but unlike then, the threat wasn't something that one could encounter by simply breathing the air in a room.
I don't think 9/11 had anything to do with the success of Lord of the Rings, since its success was a worldwide phenomenon, including book sales going through the roof.
Old 08-13-21, 08:24 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I also think there's a line on how popular "fantasy" and "sci-fi" movies are perceived and received by audiences. Sci-fi movies are more often a harder sell than fantasy ones.
Old 08-13-21, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

It's gotta be accessible to the general movie-going audience and the budget has to be lower otherwise we're looking at another Blade Runner 2049. It'll be a great looking art film that will bomb. Arrival cost 47 million and made a lot of money. There's all these variables that need to be taken into consideration before being made -- the same reason(s) why The Suicide Squad bombed. The new variable, of course, being the pandemic. Just remember that BR2049 was a couple of years ago.
Old 08-13-21, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I’m not familiar with the books, but part of me also wonders if something like this would have been better served as a series on HBO or something versus a movie. Sounds like it’s king of a long, drawn out story that will need more than one installment. I get the desire for the spectacle of a film, but modern shows have shown they can still do a lot too.
Old 08-13-21, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
I’m not familiar with the books, but part of me also wonders if something like this would have been better served as a series on HBO or something versus a movie. Sounds like it’s king of a long, drawn out story that will need more than one installment. I get the desire for the spectacle of a film, but modern shows have shown they can still do a lot too.
The Sisterhood of Dune will be a series, coming to HBOMax
https://www.inverse.com/entertainmen...20Dune%20canon.

It will take the time to explore the history of the Bene Gesserit, but main Dune novel is absolutely cinema worthy, I think the studio just needs to go into with the understanding it won't be a theatrical blockbuster but will have a longtail on home video and streaming.
Dr. DVD (08-13-21)
Old 08-13-21, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
It's gotta be accessible to the general movie-going audience and the budget has to be lower otherwise we're looking at another Blade Runner 2049. It'll be a great looking art film that will bomb. Arrival cost 47 million and made a lot of money. There's all these variables that need to be taken into consideration before being made -- the same reason(s) why The Suicide Squad bombed. The new variable, of course, being the pandemic. Just remember that BR2049 was a couple of years ago.

Blade Runner 2049 was in 2017; four years ago. Who taught you math?

In all honesty, what are the options at this point? Delay it inevitably until the pandemic is over? Personally, I too agree that this should have been an HBO series like Game of Thrones. It's just too expansive to be confined to a movie or two. Maybe if this does well enough on streaming they'll greenlight a follow up as a series along with the other books ratings pending.
Old 10-26-21, 12:17 PM

I decided to vote "it will surprise everyone and be a big hit" since the gross is currently 220 million.

I kid because I love.

And I'm petty.

Old 10-26-21, 12:34 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

at this thread and those number options (in retrospective).
Old 10-26-21, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
The Sisterhood of Dune will be a series, coming to HBOMax
https://www.inverse.com/entertainmen...20Dune%20canon.

It will take the time to explore the history of the Bene Gesserit, but main Dune novel is absolutely cinema worthy, I think the studio just needs to go into with the understanding it won't be a theatrical blockbuster but will have a longtail on home video and streaming.
Ah, looks like my comment about streaming was closer to the mark than even I thought. Part 2 has been given the greenlight.
Old 10-26-21, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I predict that it will bomb so bad that Part 2 won’t get greenlighted.

Timothee Chalamet will spend the rest of his days shamefully running around the sidewalks of Hollywood Blvd. wearing his Fremen costume alongside the guys dressed as Spider-Man and Elmo.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.