Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Night House (2021, D: Bruckner) S: Rebecca Hall

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-11-21, 06:35 AM

Received 4,555 Likes on 3,090 Posts

In Theaters August 20

Reeling from the unexpected death of her husband, Beth (Rebecca Hall) is left alone in the lakeside home he built for her. She tries as best she can to keep it together Ė but then nightmares come. Disturbing visions of a presence in the house calling to her, beckoning her with a ghostly allure. Against the advice of her friends, she begins digging into her husbandís belongings, yearning for answers. What she finds are secrets both strange and disturbing Ė a mystery sheís determined to unravel. THE NIGHT HOUSE stars Rebecca Hall (HOLMES & WATSON, CHRISTINE), Sarah Goldberg (Barry, Elementary), Vondie Curtis Hall (DIE HARD 2, EVEíS BAYOU), Evan Jonigkeit (Togetherish, Sweetbitter), and Stacy Martin (VOX LUX, NYMPHOMANIAC).

Cast: Rebecca Hall, Sarah Goldberg, Vondie Curtis Hall, Evan Jonigkeit and Stacy Martin
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9731534/

Premiered at Sundance 2020: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_night_house
Old 08-11-21, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts
Re: The Night House (2021, D: Bruckner) S: Rebecca Hall

Yet another one of those films where the trailer gives away the gimmick, except for the "why" of it all.
Old 08-18-21, 11:54 AM

I wasn't originally planning on seeing this in theatres, but the reviews are so positive that I may check it out if I have time.
Old 08-18-21, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,189 Likes on 915 Posts

Seeing this tomorrow night.
Old 08-19-21, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

With that trailer and those reviews, I'm 1000% in. Going on Sunday afternoon.
Old 08-20-21, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

The film is stylishly directed and has a great lead performance by Hall, but in the end it turned out to be mostly about nothing.

Spoiler:
So, my take on the plot is: Earlier in her life, Beth (Hall) was in an accident and briefly "died" before being brought back to consciousness, but not before seeing that there was nothing on the other side. This nothingness left a void in her life, which she managed to fill by getting happily married. However, 'Nothing' (the grim reaper?) is none too happy that Beth escaped death and so he feeds "urges" into her husband in an attempt to get him to kill her. Her husband tries to deal with these urges by finding women who look just like his wife and killing them, in hopes that Nothing will be fooled into thinking he has murdered Beth and thus leave them alone. However, Nothing isn't fooled, so the husband finally decides to kill himself, believing that Beth will now be safe. However, Nothing continues to come after Beth, trying to push her to the brink of insanity and suicide. In the end, Beth is brought back from the dark side through the love of her best friend, who arrives just in time to save her.

Another take on the story could be that Beth is just a severely depressed person who was imagining all the weird stuff that was happening because she couldn't deal with her husband's suicide. So, the whole story is mostly just happening inside her head and not be taken factually (ie. her husband isn't really a serial killer).

I was afraid for a moment that this was going to be one of those movies where it was revealed in the end that Beth had actually died for good in that earlier accident in her life and that this whole movie was just a Jacob's Ladder-type scenario. Glad they didn't go down that path.

The following users liked this post:
DJariya (08-21-21)
Old 08-20-21, 06:04 PM

Rebecca Hall is phenomenal in this. I'm such a fan of hers. It is interesting how she straddles the line of being in some big movies, but still not being a huge star. She is always so good. Can't wait to see her directorial debut this year.

I enjoyed the movie a lot. It is one of the better psychological thrillers I can remember seeing in a long time. Great direction. I'm looking forward to seeing what Bruckner does with his Hellraiser film.

Perkinsun Dzees, your first take is how I took it too. That seems the most straightforward. I also was afraid they were going to pull the thing you mentioned, but thankfully they did not.
DJariya (08-21-21)
Old 08-20-21, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

The trailer is giving me some House of Leaves vibes.
Old 08-21-21, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Just got out of this. I really liked this movie. It's a slow burn, but it's a top notch well acted and directed psychological thriller. And it definitely picks up by the second and third act. I agree Rebecca Hall is fantastic in this. And yeah I agree with the 1st take in the spoiler above. It's pretty straightforward.
Old 08-23-21, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Saw this last night. I thought it kind of sucked.
Spoiler:
She's kind of a jerk to everyone. Her husband turns into a serial killer in order to try and save her.
Some of the ideas were good, like the mazes and the 'women who look like her' to throw off the 'nothing'. In the end, though, her husbands efforts didn't really matter since the 'nothing' could just grab her and smash her into a wall anyways.
Also, her seeing other women at different times when dreaming didn't really make sense.
Old 08-24-21, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Was pretty good. Fantastic performance by Hall
Old 08-25-21, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Interested in this because I heard that it originally started as a Hellraiser reboot movie. I've heard if you watch it with that in mind it makes it a bit better.
Old 10-11-21, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Now streaming. This will definitely be on my best of 2021 list.
Old 10-12-21, 05:09 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I really enjoyed this as well. The story wasn’t perfect, but the performances and the atmosphere made it an intense and engaging watch.
Old 10-12-21, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Ending sucked movie was not great either.

That is all.

Old 10-30-21, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

This will be on my Top 10 list for the year.

Rebecca Hall was fantastic, as basically everyone has said. Watch this shit late at night and itís pretty scary.

we need more horror/thriller films like this that are well done. So much better than a slasher.

I thought the director did a terrific job with this.
Old 10-30-21, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,013 Likes on 837 Posts

Just saw this and liked it, though I donít know if Iíll ever rewatch it. Funny how Rebecca Hall doesnít really look like a traditional movie star, but Iíve liked her in everything Iíve seen, and this is the first time Iíve seen her carry a whole movie. It worked for me.
Old 04-08-22, 11:44 AM

This is up on HBO Max.
Daytripper (04-08-22)
Old 04-08-22, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts

Rebecca Hall is one of those actresses who always shows up and is great to watch even if she's in a bad movie. She carries this film which has some great ideas but IMHO doesn't quite stick the landing.

In terms the effects, it was a mixed bag and at times you could easily tell this wasn't a $100M movie. That effect with the support post, though, was pretty original and is one of the best uses of CGI that I've seen in a small movie.
Old 04-09-22, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

I watched this and it was decent but I didn't buy into the reveal at the end.
Old 04-16-22, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I just caught this on HBO Max last night. Fortunately I didn't know much at all about the movie going in (just the basic synopsis and hearing general good word of mouth). I think it was low on my radar since it sounded so much like other movies ... a slow-moving ghost story that's artfully made and acted, which gets great RT reviews and mostly bores me.

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
The film is stylishly directed and has a great lead performance by Hall, but in the end it turned out to be mostly about nothing.

And thankfully the movie went in a different direction than what I was expecting. I thought it was a cool use of CGI in showing the:
Spoiler:
"nothing" spirit. How Beth would see a ghostly outline, but when she moves the outline is revealed to be formed from the borders of other things (the "nothing spaces".

While it wasn't a problem understanding what was going on, it felt like there was a lot of mythology and background that was skimped on. Like if it was based on a book (which it wasn't) and things were cut to fit into a reasonable running time.
Old 04-16-22, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott
Rebecca Hall is one of those actresses who always shows up and is great to watch even if she's in a bad movie. She carries this film which has some great ideas but IMHO doesn't quite stick the landing.
It's actually impressive how engrossing she made this. And, agree, the ending doesn't quite land but the build up, atmosphere and acting is a pleasant surprise.
Old 04-20-22, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I saw this in the theater during its initial run. Unlike most movies, I still remember it very well. Rebecca Hall gave a great performance and the film stays with you long after it is over. I'll probably eventually pick it up on Blu-Ray, but it's not a priority right now.
Old 05-16-22, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

My girlfriend and I watched this last night. It's funny, just as the plot was coming more into focus, we each gave our theory as to the husband's motivations:

Spoiler:
She thought it was a demon/entity guiding him. I thought he was suppressing urges to kill his wife by killing similar looking women.

Turns out we were both kind of right.

I wasn't really into the movie at first, but as mentioned earlier it picks up in the second act. From then it had my attention. I would describe this as
Spoiler:
Final Destination for adults.

Last edited by DJLinus; 05-16-22 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-16-22, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Weird. I thought I made a post about this movie a while ago but I guess I didn't unless it was in another thread like when it dropped on HBO Max.