Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of The Suicide Squad?
5 stars
2.63%
4 3/4 stars
2.63%
4 1/2 stars
18.42%
4 1/4 stars
6.58%
4 stars
28.95%
3 3/4 stars
10.53%
3 1/2 stars
11.84%
3 1/4 stars
1.32%
3 stars
6.58%
2 3/4 stars
0%
2 1/2 stars
9.21%
2 1/4 stars
0%
2 stars
1.32%
1 3/4 stars
0%
1 1/2 stars
0%
1 1/4 stars
0%
1 star
0%
0 stars
0%
The first one was enough. Don't trust this re-boot
0%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-21, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Originally Posted by csant
No, I was in and out of sleep. It didnt hook me at all.
Watching a movie while half asleep and tired is not a good way to do it. If you feel motivated enough, I would try to give it another whirl during the day when your not tired.

I’ve watched movies in the past where I was half asleep and I knew I had to give it another chance. I saw Blade Runner 2049 in the theater at a 11pm show after having a big dinner and beer. That alone knocked me out and I feel asleep for 80 percent of it. I knew I didn’t give it a fair shot. So I went back two weeks later and saw it in its entirety fully awake. And I really enjoyed it.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-06-21 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-06-21, 11:06 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Thought it was a really well made movie, a lot of fun. Saw where they were going with Ratcatcher from the very start, clearly the most powerful character. Also the Iris Alba Bloodsport character was clearly written for Will Smith/Deadshot- they didn’t really even try to hide it.

King Shark rules the day every time.
Old 08-06-21, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I wish Polka Dot Man would have survived. It’s would have liked to see him in a sequel.
Old 08-07-21, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Watching a movie while half asleep and tired is not a good way to do it. If you feel motivated enough, I would try to give it another whirl during the day when your not tired.

I’ve watched movies in the past where I was half asleep and I knew I had to give it another chance. I saw Blade Runner 2049 in the theater at a 11pm show after having a big dinner and beer. That alone knocked me out and I feel asleep for 80 percent of it. I knew I didn’t give it a fair shot. So I went back two weeks later and saw it in its entirety fully awake. And I really enjoyed it.
I can't remember the last time I feel asleep while watching a movie. Yeah, it had gore and such but it felt forced. Just didnt interest me that much. I might watch it again, I mean its "free" on hbomax. lol
Old 08-07-21, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Eh I fall asleep during a lot of movies at home. It took me 4 tries to get through 28 Days Later (I wound up liking it a lot but man did those first tries put me down fast).

I rewatched the 2nd half of this again tonight.
The following 2 users liked this post by RichC2:
csant (08-07-21), EdTheRipper (08-08-21)
Old 08-07-21, 01:20 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Eh I fall asleep during a lot of movies at home. It took me 4 tries to get through 28 Days Later (I wound up liking it a lot but man did those first tries put me down fast).

I rewatched the 2nd half of this again tonight.
When you’re old you fall asleep during a lot of movies, especially at home. (Happens to me a lot)
The following 2 users liked this post by Eric F:
csant (08-07-21), EdTheRipper (08-08-21)
Old 08-07-21, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Also the Iris Alba Bloodsport character was clearly written for Will Smith/Deadshot- they didn’t really even try to hide it.
I think originally Elba was going to be Deadshot but perhaps Will Smith's reps reached out to leave open the possibility of him reprising the character down the line?
Old 08-07-21, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Thought it was fun, but not something I think I’ll really revisit. I did enjoy it more than the first one.

I guess it’s the purpose, but could have done without a lot of the grotesque scenes. Reminded me of a Matthew Vaughn film in that regard.

Sad about Flagg. However, would be cool to see Squad vs Squad in another installment. Pretty sure Harley wouldn’t have any problem going after Peacemaker.
Old 08-07-21, 07:16 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I think originally Elba was going to be Deadshot but perhaps Will Smith's reps reached out to leave open the possibility of him reprising the character down the line?
From 2019:
Though the next installment in the “Suicide Squad” franchise is moving full-steam ahead with the addition of Idris Elba to the team, the movie will now move forward without one of its main characters.

Though it was previously reported that Elba would be replacing Will Smith as Deadshot in the new pic, sources now tell Variety that all parties including director James Gunn have decided to move on from the Deadshot character, with Elba playing a new character in “The Suicide Squad.”

Warner Bros. had no comment on the decision.

It is unknown what character Elba would now be playing, but after taking the last few weeks to discuss, everyone involved felt this was the right move. The team also did not want to feel as if it was disrespecting Smith, who helped bring this character to life for the first time, by replacing him with Elba. While many believe chances are still slim for a future return, the decision keeps the door open for Smith to possibly come back in future films, since his original reason for leaving had to do with scheduling and not creative differences.

Variety first reported in February that Smith would not be appearing in the next film and Warner Bros. and Gunn moved instantly to add Elba to the team after the director and actor sat down days after Smith’s departure. The meeting went so well that Elba agreed on the spot to join the next installment, but even at that time it was not set in stone whether he’d be playing Deadshot or a brand new member of the team.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/s...er-1203181518/
Old 08-07-21, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Got me in the feels when the last thing Starro said was that he was happy in space just watching the stars.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (08-09-21)
Old 08-07-21, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
Got me in the feels when the last thing Starro said was that he was happy in space just watching the stars.
That was a nice touch, I thought.
Old 08-07-21, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I liked that line as well.
Old 08-07-21, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Really enjoyed it. Pretty much erases the first SS movie, which is fine by me.

The was the first time I actually enjoyed Harley Quinn. Right balance of misguided and villain. The romance thing went on a little long, but the payoff was worth the wait. I read a theory about how the flowers during the palace slaughter were there to soften the scene to prevent an NC17 rating (sorta like the black and white sequence in Kill Bill v.1) but I got the impression they were an expression of her insanity. And she didn't say Puddin' once, which automatically added one star to the review, no matter how bad the rest of it may have been.

The diversion team at the beach made sense as most of them were worthless to start with. It's a shame Captain Boomerang had his best moments in either movie before getting wiped out.

King Shark is basically a combination of Groot and Drax. Loved every scene he was in. Definitely the character everyone will remember.

And it was nice to see a finale that isn't a blue energy explosion. Not every superhero movie has to end with an immediate existential threat being averted at the last second.

As for negatives, I didn't like the Amanda Waller character in either movie, although I get she's not supposed to be "likable" and seems very faithful to what I've seen of the comic version. Also, I thought the trailers gave too much away. I know they had to fight a lot of negative bias from the first one, but the shot of King Shark ripping a dude in half was badass, and I can only imagine a full theater reacting to that if it had never been seen before.

Still, along with the first Wonder Woman, one of the few truly good DCEU movies they've made. I hate to think the only way DC can succeed in movies is to copy Marvel and steal talent from them, but hopefully this will inspire someone to do better in the future.
Old 08-07-21, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
That was a nice touch.
Old 08-07-21, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Streamed this last night. Definitely worlds better than the first. Glad they finally decided to let Harley Quinn show what a psychopath she truly is and go on a killing spree. This movie was pretty much old school James Gunn material to the max; cussing, borderline violence, and a touch of nihilism. I would wager anything made during the Snyder era of DC is now an "elseworlds" type experience, and it kind of needs to stay that way.
Old 08-07-21, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I much prefer to never see this botched up version of DeadShot in a DC movie again. The comic book and animated character is an irredeemable jerk who is only looking out for himself.
Old 08-07-21, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

The movie was a blast. Easily the best DCU movie to date and, for me, even ranks above many of the Marvel films. I like that the film - for all it's craziness - had some real heart to it, and that there were real stakes involved (you never knew who would survive, which isn't the case for many superhero flicks).
Old 08-07-21, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
I much prefer to never see this botched up version of DeadShot in a DC movie again. The comic book and animated character is an irredeemable jerk who is only looking out for himself.
okay. That’s weird
Old 08-07-21, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
The was the first time I actually enjoyed Harley Quinn. Right balance of misguided and villain. The romance thing went on a little long, but the payoff was worth the wait. I read a theory about how the flowers during the palace slaughter were there to soften the scene to prevent an NC17 rating (sorta like the black and white sequence in Kill Bill v.1) but I got the impression they were an expression of her insanity. And she didn't say Puddin' once, which automatically added one star to the review, no matter how bad the rest of it may have been.
I also appreciated film's small changes to the character, even down to her tattoo on her left shoulder, which started as "Property of Joker" to (now) "Property of No One".
Old 08-07-21, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The movie was a blast. Easily the best DCU movie to date and, for me, even ranks above many of the Marvel films. I like that the film - for all it's craziness - had some real heart to it, and that there were real stakes involved (you never knew who would survive, which isn't the case for many superhero flicks).
This is what elevates it for me, the majority of super hero movies in general you know nothing of real consequence is going to happen to the heroes. Flagg's death really caught me off guard and the losing Polka Dot Man (who I really liked) was a bit of a shock as well. Heck I was hoping a few of the first wave was going to survive longer.
Old 08-07-21, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Well, this is a bummer, apparently it’s turning out to be a massive bomb:

https://deadline.com/2021/08/the-sui...ax-1234810359/
Old 08-07-21, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

The issue is also that, unlike Birds of Prey, TSS cost 185 million to make. Birds was like 80 million, I think. Nevermind that you have it on HBO Max, too.
Old 08-07-21, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Well, I went to the theater Thursday night, so I did my part. The huge budget and HBO Max were a bad mix. This could be a really bad sign for Dune.
Old 08-07-21, 03:31 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Could be?
The following users liked this post:
E Unit (08-07-21)
Old 08-07-21, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Well, I went to the theater Thursday night, so I did my part. The huge budget and HBO Max were a bad mix. This could be a really bad sign for Dune.

Dune is the only HBO MAX film I will see at theaters first.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.