Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Nine Days (2021, D: Oda) S: Winston Duke, Zazie Beetz, Benedict Wong, Tony Hall, Bill Skarsgård

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Nine Days (2021, D: Oda) S: Winston Duke, Zazie Beetz, Benedict Wong, Tony Hall, Bill Skarsgård

Old 08-04-21, 12:21 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Now Playing NY & LA, Nationwide August 6

Will (Winston Duke) spends his days in a remote outpost watching the live Point of View (POV) on TV's of people going about their lives, until one subject perishes, leaving a vacancy for a new life on earth. Soon, several candidates — unborn souls — arrive at Will's to undergo tests determining their fitness, facing oblivion when they are deemed unsuitable. But Will soon faces his own existential challenge in the form of free-spirited Emma (Zazie Beetz), a candidate who is not like the others, forcing him to turn within and reckon with his own tumultuous past. Fueled by unexpected power, he discovers a bold new path forward in his own life. Making his feature-film debut after a series of highly acclaimed and award-winning short films and music videos, Japanese Brazilian director Edson Oda delivers a heartfelt and meditative vision of human souls in limbo, aching to be born against unimaginable odds, yet hindered by forces beyond their will...

Written and Directed by:
Edson Oda

Starring:
Winston Duke, Zazie Beetz, Benedict Wong, Tony Hale, Bill Skarsgård, David Rysdahl, Arianna Ortiz
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10451852/
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/nine_days
Old 08-04-21, 02:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Nine Days (2021, D: Oda) S: Winston Duke, Zazie Beetz, Benedict Wong, Tony Hall, Bill Skarsgård

It's like an MCU movie with some of the cast, plus Tony Hale and another Skarsgård. Interesting premise.
Old 08-07-21, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Nine Days (2021, D: Oda) S: Winston Duke, Zazie Beetz, Benedict Wong, Tony Hall, Bill Skarsgård

There seems to be at least one movie each year that gets solid critical praise - and I don't get it. This does it. The movie's narrative really doesn't take us anywhere and the "philosophical" ramblings are anything but profound. What am I missing?
Old 08-08-21, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

It's like The Ring but with two more days.
Old 11-05-21, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Really enjoyed this. It’s a slow burn pretty much the whole way, but I absolutely loved the final 10 minutes.

Zazie Beetz looks like a very young Halle Berry. She’s terrific in this.

Glad it’s available to everyone now.
Old 11-06-21, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

I had not heard of this but the cast is impressive. I’ll try to seek this out.