Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

CODA (2021, D: Heder) S: Emilia Jones, Marlee Matlin, Troy Kotsur

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-04-21, 12:13 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Every family has its own language. CODA premieres on Apple TV+ and in select theaters on August 13.

Gifted with a voice that her parents canít hear, seventeen-year-old Ruby (Emilia Jones), is the sole hearing member of a deaf familyóa CODA, Child of Deaf Adults. Her life revolves around acting as interpreter for her parents (Marlee Matlin, Troy Kotsur) and working on the familyís struggling fishing boat every day before school with her father and older brother (Daniel Durant). But when Ruby joins her high schoolís choir club, she discovers a gift for singing and finds herself drawn to her duet partner Miles (Ferdia Walsh-Peelo). Encouraged by her enthusiastic, tough-love choirmaster (Eugenio Derbez) to apply to a prestigious music school, Ruby finds herself torn between the obligations she feels to her family and the pursuit of her own dreams.

Screenplay by Si‚n Heder.
Directed by Si‚n Heder.
This was a big hit at Sundance winning the Audience Award and Grand Jury Prize. Apple paid $25 million for it.
Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/coda_2021
Old 08-09-21, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: CODA (2021, D: Heder) S: Emilia Jones, Marlee Matlin, Troy Kotsur

This looks really good. I know Marlee Maitlin is deaf. Iím curious if the father and son are deaf in real life as well.
Old 08-13-21, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
This looks really good. I know Marlee Maitlin is deaf. I’m curious if the father and son are deaf in real life as well.
Yes they are.

Good movie. Idk about $25mil rights good. But it was definitely enjoyable and brought the feels. Really good performances by everyone involved. Too bad it won’t get a lot of attention being on Apple.

Last edited by dex14; 08-14-21 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-13-21, 07:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Itís gonna get my attention. Every show I play, Ted Lasso, Mythic Quest, etc., this trailer plays and I donít skip ever. Hopefully sometime this weekend.
Old 08-14-21, 12:59 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great movie. Got me pretty emotional and I rarely get that way. Highly recommended
Old 08-14-21, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by sye46
Great movie. Got me pretty emotional and I rarely get that way. Highly recommended
Agree. If I had to describe this film in one word I would say, tender. I had no idea what it was about going in. I only saw it's 95% rating on RT and said "I'm in". And the very first scene hooked me with the lead female character singing on the fishing boat with her Dad and brother. Her performance was truly amazing. And her story was heartbreaking. She wanted to help her family and at the same time wanted to live her own life when she was older. And the pressure her parents put on her was unreasonable. As you mention, there are several very emotional scenes. One was when she was practically begging her family to let her go. Eyes filled up with tears. It reminded me of that scene in "Anywhere But Here" where Natalie Portman was begging Susan Sarandon the same. The other scenes that really got to me were when her brother was telling her to leave, saying the family didn't need her. Which wasn't true. He just didn't want her stuck in that town and wanted her to have a life he couldn't. The other scene was where her Dad asked her to sing for him sitting in the back of his truck. And he held her neck trying to feel her voice. Good God, that was crushing. It's not all sad though. It's also very uplifting. I cannot recommend it enough.

Last edited by Daytripper; 08-14-21 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-14-21, 06:59 PM

My review of movie on Apple TV+ called CODA:

Wow! Holy carp (inside movie joke) is CODA a movie that I had no idea what it was about going in (and that’s how should be). From trailers, maybe surmised coming of age, which it is, with deaf family. Everything was seamless. So beautiful in words and gestures. Emilia Jones who plays Ruby is remarkable and that voice! I get chills. As is rest of cast. Her family who are all deaf. Marlee Matlin always gives a great performance. Much lighter here, but great all the same. Just as she was, of course, in…Seinfeld. 😂 oh, I mean that movie with Children…😜

Go in with no knowledge, no inkling could even prepare you for as a colleague quotes when he really likes a movie a “nice” movie. He’ll refer it to classics like Braveheart, thinks it’s a “nice” movie. Be it he’s 24, so you could see where the limited vocabulary comes in. I was just impressed that a movie that came out just before born would be seen years later and liked.

Well, this was beyond nice, is was downright good! Seriously, the 4 awards it won at Sundance, the biggest, I believe, are well deserved. This will be up and win something come Oscars 2022 (strong best picture contender as of now).

Just a great, coming of age, overcoming, succumbing. Just runs the gamut and does it so magically. Incredible, felt like real life performances. Funny, heartbreaking, totally real.

If anyone stood out like a sore thumb though (because rest of cast are no names right now) it was Matlin bc a) she’s an Oscar winner and b) She’s still gorgeous at 56.

Don’t walk, click a few buttons, maybe activate using your cell phone or iPad and see this movie.

A perfectly beautiful, emotional, well acted gem of a film. Whatever format. I don’t think it matters anymore (streaming, broadcast, etc) anyway. A movie is a movie. At home or in the theaters. Many don’t even have luxury to go to theater due to many things, so even if it weren’t these times, having alt means is win for consumers at least.

This is that movie that comes along maybe once, if we’re lucky, every few years. This leaps to head of pack of all around great well made movies. This was a master class in everything enjoyable about said movies.

Simply divine.

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-15-21 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-14-21, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Wow! Holy carp is this a movie thst tiu orvdtblrsdt I had no idea what it was about.
You don't say.
Old 08-14-21, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
You don't say.

A method post where you need an interpreter like in the movie.

Last edited by dex14; 08-14-21 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-14-21, 07:21 PM

Geez I was still editing. For goodness sakes. I coherent think now is.
Old 08-15-21, 04:02 PM

I hope many see this here. You must du et.
Old 09-08-21, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

This may be my favorite movie of the year so far.

I'm a choir singer, so that certainly helps, but I just really liked the story of the deaf family, and the main character's efforts to do something on her own. It's tough to watch at times for sure, but ultimately satisfying, and the music was good. About the ending:
Spoiler:
I did NOT expect her to start signing her audition song--and I was yelling at her family to not watch and put that pressure on her--but it was so appropriate and so moving. The dumb thing is that I myself have signed live music a few times (I don't know ASL--someone teaches me), so it should've been a really obvious development for me, but no. The person who teaches me the ASL (we often do it together) hasn't seen the movie, so I'm trying to get her to watch it by pitching the choir/deaf angle without spoiling the ending. She's interested, but I don't know if she has Apple+.

The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (09-08-21)
Old 09-08-21, 06:14 PM

^ I actually thought she’d do it one song before, but when she did I balled like a little baby. Can’t edit yo buy the Blu.
Old 12-21-21, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Will probably have to add this to my honorable mention Top 10.

I have stayed away from this for 4 months because the subject matter just didnít interest me.

But it was really good. Also have no idea why Apple paid $25 million for this, but itís worth a watch and would be difficult for most people not to enjoy this.

Itís actually quite funny too. Iím thinking it will probably get a Best Picture nomination because of the expanded field, and there just arenít many quality films with/about people with disabilities.

B+ grade
Old 02-12-22, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Finally saw this, wonderful film, all around great performances.

I thought the choir teacher was Billy Bob Thornton at first
Old 02-12-22, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

This is a very likeable movie, and I enjoyed it. Could have been too maudlin and cliched, but strong performances helped it get over the top. And I like the choir teacher as comic relief, it worked for me. ***/****

It reminded me a lot of 'Running On Empty', another drama about a 17yr-old talented musical prodigy, living in an insular but close-knit family. But its time for them to make a break and start living their own lives.
Old 02-12-22, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by [email protected]
This is a very likeable movie, and I enjoyed it. Could have been too maudlin and cliched, but strong performances helped it get over the top. And I like the choir teacher as comic relief, it worked for me. ***/****

It reminded me a lot of 'Running On Empty', another drama about a 17yr-old talented musical prodigy, living in an insular but close-knit family. But its time for them to make a break and start living their own lives.
During The Hollywood Reporter writers round table, the director of CODA said Running On Empty was an inspiration for her. Maggie Gyllenhaal said sheíd have to get her together with her mom (who wrote ROE).
The following users liked this post:
[email protected] (02-13-22)
Old 02-23-22, 09:24 AM

Apple and its Original Films division will re-release the inspirational film for free in theaters from next Friday, February 25 through Sunday, February 27. All free screenings to feature open captions to be fully accessible to the deaf and hard-of-hearing.

The limited theatrical release will take place in major cities across the U.S. and London, free-of-charge and with open captions. There will be three daily showtimes for audiences to attend on a first come, first serve basis. Audiences at a special showing in Los Angeles will have the opportunity to be part of a live Q&A with the cast and writer/director Si‚n Heder, which will have translators in ASL.
https://www.coda.film/tickets/
Old 02-24-22, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Good (maybe not great, but good) film that everyone should find entertaining. I'm kind of surprised it got nominated for Best Picture just because of how "mainstream" it plays. I'll be shocked if Troy doesn't win Best Supporting Actor...he was really, really good.
Old 02-24-22, 05:32 PM

Mainstream is the antithesis of this movie. I can’t remember the last time I saw a deaf person in movies let alone 3/4 of main cast. This was far beyond “mainstream”. Sure it told a coming of age story of a girl with a gift, but never have you seen actual deaf actors. They were fantastic and deserves every much that nom. I wish it had a chance of winning is all.
Old 02-26-22, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Yeah, I think the coming-of-age by a high schooler through music might have a mainstream feel to it, but the deaf angle was definitely unusual, and it was all so well done.

The theatrical weekend is only at one location in my area, and the seats seem to be about 75% full so far except for 10 pm, which is great. Iíd kinda like to see it on the big screen, and Iíd want to support it if it were sparsely attended, but I kinda feel like I should leave the seats for those who donít have AppleTv or canít see it for whatever other reason. I have a friend in my choir who knows ASL, and Iíve been badgering her for months to see it. This is just another opportunity.
Old 02-28-22, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Mainstream is the antithesis of this movie. I canít remember the last time I saw a deaf person in movies let alone 3/4 of main cast. This was far beyond ďmainstreamĒ. Sure it told a coming of age story of a girl with a gift, but never have you seen actual deaf actors. They were fantastic and deserves every much that nom. I wish it had a chance of winning is all.
I only meant "mainstream" in its appeal to audiences, not (necessarily) in the fact that half the cast was made up of deaf actors.
Old 03-03-22, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

I just watched this after it won the Ensemble award at the SAGs. Thought it was quite good, but not great. It was sweet and the lead actress was phenomenal, as was Kotsur who feels like the Oscar front runner and deserves to be. But some of it felt pretty trope-y and predictable. The mean girls at school. The one friend Ruby has. Some of the family drama. And I hated the audition scene. It felt so fake, such a screenwriter cop out. She canít sing at all, then sees her family and suddenly belts out her song? And signs while singing for the first time? (Something I, and I assume most others, wondered why she had never done for her family before, even when they ask her to sing). It just bummed me out because it came right after the choir concert and post-concert scenes that I thought were exceptionally well done. Overall a very good movie that I enjoyed. Just wish it was less predictable and maybe a little more sharply written.
Old 03-26-22, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

What a revelation Emilia Jones is. So charismatic but believable in a role that has to be all parts quick, young, unsure, vulnerable, scared, and often unstoppable. But always believable. I'm hoping they don't snap her up and throw her in a Marvel franchise or the like.

Great movie. 9 out of 10. A simple story told beautifully. Again, it's not what the story's about but how you tell it that turns something good into something GREAT.
Old 03-26-22, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Mainstream is the antithesis of this movie. I canít remember the last time I saw a deaf person in movies let alone 3/4 of main cast. This was far beyond ďmainstreamĒ. Sure it told a coming of age story of a girl with a gift, but never have you seen actual deaf actors. They were fantastic and deserves every much that nom. I wish it had a chance of winning is all.
Marlee Matlin has a long career. I've seen her plenty in movies and TV. There are deaf actress in The Walking Dead and while not actually being deaf, The Sound of Metal was nominated last year and by far the superior movie.

CODA is just so superficial and a wasted chance in my opinion. All that's left is a nice feel good movie. Nothing like Whiplash or The Sound of Metal.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.