Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Does knowing that a movie had an extremely troubled production change how critical you are of it?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Does knowing that a movie had an extremely troubled production change how critical you are of it?

Old 08-01-21, 04:15 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

When it is reported that a movie had an extremely troubled production, such as a constantly changing script, a change of director or lead actor/actress during filming, or extreme studio interference, does that information change how critical you are of the movie?
Old 08-01-21, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Does knowing that a movie had an extremely troubled production change how critical you are of it?

Not really. I judge it based on what I'm watching. Although usually the story of the troubled production tends to be more interesting than the movie itself (like Alien 3)...
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (08-02-21)
Old 08-01-21, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: Does knowing that a movie had an extremely troubled production change how critical you are of it?

No for me too. Looking over lists of what are considered to be the most troubled movie productions of all time, there are lots of movies I like on them and some that I consider some of my all-time favorites (like Jaws, Back to the Future, Apocalypse Now, Fitzcarraldo, Blade Runner, Superman 2).
Old 08-01-21, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 817 Likes on 542 Posts

Sometimes it actually draws me in. When I watched Spookies for the first time, I thought it was a terrible, confusing piece of shit. Then I watched a documentary/making of and discovered it’s more like two separate movies smashed together to make one.
John Pannozzi (08-02-21)
Old 08-01-21, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 397 Likes on 320 Posts

Recently my wife and I watched Three Kings. She didn't know the movie and the problems during production, but I thought it quite intersting she didn't like the direction and the editing and said the movie was tonally all over the place and some parts didn't fit at wall. So without knowing she picked up on it.
When I hear a movie had a troubled production I'm a little bit sceptic, so that could influence me, but if the movie works regardless I do enjoy it anyway, like World War Z, Three Kings, Solo or Rogue One.
story (08-02-21)
Old 08-01-21, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,799 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Sometimes it actually draws me in. When I watched Spookies for the first time, I thought it was a terrible, confusing piece of shit. Then I watched a documentary/making of and discovered it’s more like two separate movies smashed together to make one.
This tid-bit has made me want to watch Spookies now, so I'm with you, Todd!
Old 08-01-21, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts

In an example like Jaws, knowing about the production difficulties makes me appreciate the final product more, and that kind of knowledge can usually help explain why a bad movie ended up that way,

But that's all an intellectual exercise. A movie has to stand on its own in the act of watching it. If a movie is good, it actually should push thoughts about its production out of your mind, and you should just be engaged with the experience.

I can be impressed that a GREAT movie like Pulp Fiction had a pretty low budget, but the movie shouldn't leave space for thinking about that while I'm watching it, especially for the first time.
Old 08-01-21, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

If anything it will peak my interest more.

I could not wait to see Waterworld reading up on that one and was not disappointed.

Old 08-01-21, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't know if any other movie ever beat Cleopatra (1963) in the troubled production dept. ?? Sorry about not being able to find part one.

Old 08-01-21, 07:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

I usually never care or look to much into that stuff. If final product looks good and want to see, then how it got to celluloid is meaningless to me. I knew a little about Director controversy with Solo movie, but enjoyed Howard’s final product. Spielberg did ok with AI, though that wasn’t really controversy so much as Kubrick died. But there have been others I’m sure, that I may not have been aware or could care less about. But if movie turned out I liked, that’s all that matters.
Old 08-01-21, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 817 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
This tid-bit has made me want to watch Spookies now, so I'm with you, Todd!
While I can’t fully recommend blind buying it, (as with most Vinegar Syndrome releases) I think it’s on Shudder. Might want to check it out there and then pick up the BD for the doc and repeat viewings.
Old 08-01-21, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Nope!

The first film that comes to mind is Fantastic Four (2015). I didn't know about any of the issues the production of that film had and came out with the same opinions about it.
Old 08-01-21, 10:36 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Thank you for your answers. I, too, am not more critical of a movie that has had an extremely troubled production.

Rogue One is the best new SW movie. Fight me.
Old 08-02-21, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Nope!

The first film that comes to mind is Fantastic Four (2015). I didn't know about any of the issues the production of that film had and came out with the same opinions about it.
I had heard a lot about the problems and about the director distancing himself from the movie, but I was still sure, it had to be better than the other F4 movies. It wasn't, it's one of the few comic book movies I never wanna see again and I watched Catwoman twice.
Old 08-02-21, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
While I can’t fully recommend blind buying it, (as with most Vinegar Syndrome releases) I think it’s on Shudder. Might want to check it out there and then pick up the BD for the doc and repeat viewings.
It’s also on YouTube. I did a blind buy on Spookies and I thought the plot was confusing and made no sense. The farting zombies are funny and the creature effects are really good given it’s such a low budget movie.
Old 08-02-21, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,433 Likes on 913 Posts

I don't even know that a movie had a troubled production when I see it. Sometimes I'll hear about it later, if it's high profile. Since I don't follow gossip, I don't hear about these things, whether if it's the director fighting with the star or if it's the star dating someone.
Old 08-02-21, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I don't even know that a movie had a troubled production when I see it. Sometimes I'll hear about it later, if it's high profile. Since I don't follow gossip, I don't hear about these things, whether if it's the director fighting with the star or if it's the star dating someone.
Not everything is gossip, sometimes it's just movie news.
Old 08-02-21, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Maybe?

Like David Lynch's Dune was a mess and is a mess but I still enjoy it despite it not being a great telling of the story.

Old 08-02-21, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Shoulda been a poll so I could click "no."
Old 08-02-21, 06:00 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for all of the replies.
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Shoulda been a poll so I could click "no."
Wait, someone actually wants me to make a poll?
Old 08-02-21, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,433 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub-Zero
Thanks for all of the replies.

Wait, someone actually wants me to make a poll?
What are you, high?