Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

King Richard (2021, D: Green) -- S: Will Smith, Jon Bernthal -- Biopic on Venus & Serena Williams father

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

King Richard (2021, D: Green) -- S: Will Smith, Jon Bernthal -- Biopic on Venus & Serena Williams father

Old 07-28-21, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Based on the true story that will inspire the world, Warner Bros. Pictures’ “King Richard follows the journey of Richard Williams, an undeterred father instrumental in raising two of the most extraordinarily gifted athletes of all time, who will end up changing the sport of tennis forever. Two-time Oscar nominee Will Smith (“Ali,” “The Pursuit of Happyness,” “Bad Boys for Life”) stars as Richard, under the direction of Reinaldo Marcus Green (“Monsters and Men”). Driven by a clear vision of their future and using unconventional methods, Richard has a plan that will take Venus and Serena Williams from the streets of Compton, California to the global stage as legendary icons. The profoundly moving film shows the power of family, perseverance and unwavering belief as a means to achieve the impossible and impact the world. Aunjanue Ellis (“If Beale Street Could Talk,” TV’s “Quantico”) plays the girls’ mom, Oracene “Brandi” Williams, Saniyaa Sidney (“Hidden Figures,” “Fences”) stars as Venus Williams, Demi Singleton (TV’s “Godfather of Harlem”) stars as Serena Williams, with Tony Goldwyn (the “Divergent” series, TV’s “Scandal”) as coach Paul Cohen and Jon Bernthal (upcoming “The Many Saints of Newark,” “Ford v Ferrari”) as coach Rick Macci.

The ensemble also includes Andy Bean (“IT Chapter Two”), Kevin Dunn (the “Transformers” films, HBO’s “Veep”) and Craig Tate (“Greyhound”). Green directed “King Richard” from a screenplay written by Zach Baylin. The producers were Tim White and Trevor White under their Star Thrower Entertainment banner, and Will Smith under his Westbrook banner. Isha Price, Serena Williams, Venus Williams, James Lassiter, Jada Pinkett Smith, Adam Merims, Lynn Harris, Allan Mandelbaum, Jon Mone and Peter Dodd served as the executive producers. The behind-the-scenes creative team includes Oscar-winning director of photography Robert Elswit (“There Will Be Blood”), production designers Wynn Thomas (“Da 5 Bloods,” “Hidden Figures”) and William Arnold (“The Hate U Give”), Oscar-nominated editor Pamela Martin (“The Fighter”), and two-time Oscar-nominated costume designer Sharen Davis (“Dreamgirls,” “Ray”). The music is by Oscar-nominated composer Kris Bowers (“Space Jam: A New Legacy,” “A Concerto is a Conversation”). A Warner Bros. Pictures Presentation, A Star Thrower Entertainment Production, A Westbrook Production, A Keepin’ It Reel Production,

“King Richard” is slated for U.S. release on November 19, 2021 in theaters and on HBO Max via the Ad-Free plan; it will be available on HBO Max for 31 days from theatrical release.

Old 07-28-21, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts
Re: King Richard (2021, D: Green) -- S: Will Smith, Jon Bernthal -- Biopic on Venus & Serena Williams fat

Will Smith really wants that Oscar.

It looks decent enough to check out on HBOmax.
Old 09-03-21, 11:40 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: King Richard (2021, D: Green) -- S: Will Smith, Jon Bernthal -- Biopic on Venus & Serena Williams fat

A few reviews from Telluride:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/kin...ometer-reviews
Old 10-21-21, 11:51 AM

Old 10-21-21, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Every time I see this trailer I wonder why the movie's central character is Venus and Serena's father and not them.
Old 10-21-21, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Every time I see this trailer I wonder why the movie's central character is Venus and Serena's father and not them.
Because he’s an interesting figure in his own right. The script was solid.
Old 10-21-21, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Do you know very much about their history? That's not meant to be sarcastic, just not sure how much you know.

From a very young age, he started training his girls to be pro tennis players. He saw it as their way out of the high-crime, low-income area in which they lived. So, he was the one who taught them to play, despite not really being a tennis coach. He used more unconventional methods and did his own thing in preparing his girls, even as he rankled many in the very traditional tennis world. He was always front and center in their matches and a big driving force. That all seems tailor-made for a movie to me. Not necessarily a good one but one that could maybe be sold to an audience.
Old 10-21-21, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I'm sure most of you here in Movie Talk have very little to no background of Richard Williams or may not even follow tennis. But I for me living in So Cal, before Venus and Serena were even remotely a thing, they were just two teenagers from Compton, who happened to be pretty good at tennis. Richard Williams did a lot of speaking to the news about his two prodigy daughters and was basically their voice until the girls became superstars on their own.
Old 11-18-21, 07:35 PM

This will be up on HBO Max tomorrow.
Old 11-20-21, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Watched this on Max last night and enjoyed it.
Old 11-20-21, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Watched this today. Good family-friendly sports bio. Felt like a movie from the Disney brand.

Film's take on Richard is more positive than what you would likely think if you knew him for real. Played as this stubborn guy who bends people to his will and gets proven right in the end. I bet dealing with him IRL was a real fucking pain.
Old 11-20-21, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

This bombed horribly at the box office.

I really enjoyed it. They easily could have made this rated R, and you can tell they just skimmed some of the bad stuff with the Williams sisters producing.

That being said. I thought it was very entertaining.
Old 11-21-21, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I enjoyed this too. I've read a few places online that Smith's the one to beat for best actor this year at the Oscars. I mean, he was good and all. But I didn't think he turned in an award winning performance. Of all the actors, I think the woman who played his wife stood out the most. I really liked her. But I do recommend the film.
Old 11-21-21, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,180 Likes on 4,208 Posts

I really liked this movie. Hits a lot of familiar beats but a very well made film and man is Will Smith good. Give him his Oscar now, nobody is going to beat him here - great performance, fully exploring both his natural charisma and his prickly side, and it’s time.
Old 11-21-21, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I really liked this movie. Hits a lot of familiar beats but a very well made film and man is Will Smith good. Give him his Oscar now, nobody is going to beat him here - great performance, fully exploring both his natural charisma and his prickly side, and it’s time.

I have yet to watch the movie, but this one just seems like it was done as another blatant attempt to get Smith an Oscar, like Concussion. This bombed badly this past weekend, and while I know the fact that it's day and date can be used , I think most people who decide awards will know that this was a blatant Oscar grab.
Old 11-21-21, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,180 Likes on 4,208 Posts

Just because it's Oscar bait doesn't mean it's not award-worthy. Just ask Renee Zellweger or Sir Anthony Hopkins
Old 11-22-21, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts

Hard to say something truly bombed if it's on HBO Max, though, right?
Old 11-22-21, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
Just because it's Oscar bait doesn't mean it's not award-worthy. Just ask Renee Zellweger or Sir Anthony Hopkins
The Father wasn’t baity, IMO.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (11-24-21)
Old 11-22-21, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 236 Posts

Went to a matinee today at my small local theater. The manager indicated there had hardly been any interest in this film, but quickly added it was due to it being on HBO Max.

I expected to enjoy it and I did.

The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (11-22-21)
Old 11-23-21, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

I don't think we are back to the point where the box office means anything. I know people who were regular movie-goers who are still reluctant to go back, and then add in the streaming availability.

The first two MCU Spiderman movies opened at $100 million and grossed over $300 million. We need to see how No Way Home does to gauge the state of US theaters.
Old 11-23-21, 10:55 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I enjoyed the movie, but the dialog got a little cheesy with "the plan" and all of the foreshadowing of what we already knew about their future success, stuff like Richard Williams telling Serena who was disappointed that she couldn't turn pro when Venus did " "Venus will be #1, but you will be the greatest of all time!". Dialog was close to just saying "Serena, you will win 7 Australian Opens, 7 Wimbledons, 6 US Opens and 3 French Opens, it's PART OF THE PLAN!"
Old 11-23-21, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

I will see this but have to make sure pick a day where I have time to watch a 2 hr and 24 minute movie.
Old 11-24-21, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
Hard to say something truly bombed if it's on HBO Max, though, right?

Pretty much. This seems like something families will watch over the Thanksgiving holiday.
Old 11-24-21, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I will see this but have to make sure pick a day where I have time to watch a 2 hr and 24 minute movie.
Just watch one less of those shitty, direct-to-video movies.
The following 3 users liked this post by dex14:
Boondock Saint (11-30-21), DJariya (11-24-21), The Questyen (11-24-21)
Old 11-29-21, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Good movie overall. I can understand why they chose to ignore more negative things (like his past family) but more than a couple lines of dialogue about it would have been nice. Movie was paced really well; it didn't fell like it was 2.5h long after it was over. I could have easily watched another hour to see a few more years of their career.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.