Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney/Pixar's Turning Red (2022, S: Shi) V: Chiang, Oh

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney/Pixar's Turning Red (2022, S: Shi) V: Chiang, Oh

Old 03-18-22, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 393 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: Disney/Pixar's Turning Red (2022, S: Shi) V: Chiang, Oh

I loved the visual style and the 2nd and 3rd act of the movie were okay, but the 1st act was just loud noises and what I hated about the movie was the trivialization of Mei's upbringing. Her mother is screwing her up hard. She's going to develop a depression.
Old 03-18-22, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 539 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
I loved the visual style and the 2nd and 3rd act of the movie were okay, but the 1st act was just loud noises and what I hated about the movie was the trivialization of Mei's upbringing. Her mother is screwing her up hard. She's going to develop a depression.
That was literally one of the main themes of the movie.
Old 03-19-22, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Questyen
That was literally one of the main themes of the movie.
I did acknowledge that it was in the movie, but not in a fashion I would consider apporiate to the seriousness of the matter, that's literally what trivilization is. The movie was more about becoming independent of your overbearing parents (mother), which by the end of the movie succeeds.
I don't expect the movie finishing on the possibility of Mei committing suicide in 20 years, but don't finish the movie on the note that everything is alright and no harm was done. Mei is already screwed up for life, since those early years are the most important.
Old 03-19-22, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 539 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
I did acknowledge that it was in the movie, but not in a fashion I would consider apporiate to the seriousness of the matter, that's literally what trivilization is. The movie was more about becoming independent of your overbearing parents (mother), which by the end of the movie succeeds.
I don't expect the movie finishing on the possibility of Mei committing suicide in 20 years, but don't finish the movie on the note that everything is alright and no harm was done. Mei is already screwed up for life, since those early years are the most important.
You are generalizing way too much. Every single person that has an overbearing parent growing up is not "screwed up for life" or going to suffer depression for the rest of their life. That's not how human beings work early years or not.
Old 03-20-22, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Questyen
You are generalizing way too much. Every single person that has an overbearing parent growing up is not "screwed up for life" or going to suffer depression for the rest of their life. That's not how human beings work early years or not.
That is exactly how people work. Not every depression has to manfiest in instability or worse, perhaps Mei becomes an overbearing mother, too, like her mother, who had an overbearing mother herself, but everything done to us, by our parents influences our psyche.
I know it's a family movie, I can't expect it to be to more, but I still think the movie trivialized the way Mei was treated by her mother.
Old 03-20-22, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 696 Likes on 506 Posts

^ But Mei realized this and broke out of that mold. She very much had an independent streak in that she was going against her mother's wishes. If anything, this was closer to the Far From the Tree short or Joy Luck Club (if she were Waverly).
The following users liked this post:
The Questyen (03-20-22)
Old 03-20-22, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 947 Likes on 590 Posts

I watched this last night. It's fun and cute, but not up there with Pixar's best. Doubt I'll ever revisit it.
Old 03-20-22, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,435 Posts

Plus she was already fiercely independent, just leading a double life and hiding it from her parents. So it's not like she had to develop herself completely, it was more being honest with her parents about who she truly was (or was becoming), and finding a balance between the cultural norm of honoring your parents and being who she wants to be. And her parents kind of saw the light there, that was the whole point.

Also, it's based off the real life experiences of the writer, who I assume is not a psychological wreck or at the very least doesn't consider herself one.
Old 03-20-22, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 266 Likes on 222 Posts

I watched the making of/behind the scenes and it really does a great job of explaining why this movie was made. Also, yes, the ladies behind the film are not psychological wrecks. The funniest tidbit is that they chose a red panda as the animal Mei turns into because they thought red pandas are adorable looking animals. Also impressive is how much of this film was completed during the pandemic.

Old 03-21-22, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 148 Likes on 124 Posts

I haven't looked into Domee Shi's interviews yet, but I'm wondering where the autobiographical elements end in terms of her relationship with her parents. The plot point with not just Mei Lin's mother but her grandmother and aunts
Spoiler:
all suddenly accepting her decision to keep the red panda

really feels like wish fulfillment.

I come from a pretty strict upbringing myself and knew others who had old-school parents whose #1 rule was 'You're the child, I'm the adult. You listen to what I say.' I can totally see someone like Shi fantasizing about talking back to the adults in her family when she was 13 and their taking her side.

I know exactly how teen rebellion played out for the kids and I back in the day, and I can tell you the 'rents didn't just simply roll over and say, 'OK, they're grown up now. They've got this. We should leave them be.' It took decades for some of our parents to mellow out and acknowledgement their children's independence and adulthood.

I realize Shi rolled that turn in with the adventure elements to sell that
Spoiler:
change of heart by the adult women in her family

but I didn't buy it. I reacted by thinking what I said at the top.

Overall, I'm in the camp that feels this is good but isn't peak Pixar. I'll probably need to give Turning Red another look to settle my rankings but as of this moment, I'd put it last in terms straight-to-Disney+ Pixar releases behind Soul with Encanto leading the pack.
Old 03-21-22, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Plus she was already fiercely independent, just leading a double life and hiding it from her parents. So it's not like she had to develop herself completely, it was more being honest with her parents about who she truly was (or was becoming), and finding a balance between the cultural norm of honoring your parents and being who she wants to be. And her parents kind of saw the light there, that was the whole point.

Also, it's based off the real life experiences of the writer, who I assume is not a psychological wreck or at the very least doesn't consider herself one.
She is an adult and made a movie about her (bad) childhood experiences, seems to me she is still occupied by her upbringing. She deals with it in a more healthy way than taking drugs, but obviously she can't let go of her experience had the channel it in a creative way. Leading a double life as a kid isn't something kids should experience.
Old 03-21-22, 10:55 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Well the finale was that she broke that mold. So she will be growing up without needing to live a double life, but also to embrace what she learned. They did an outstanding job showing that.
Old 03-21-22, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 735 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott

Overall, I'm in the camp that feels this is good but isn't peak Pixar. I'll probably need to give Turning Red another look to settle my rankings but as of this moment, I'd put it last in terms straight-to-Disney+ Pixar releases behind Soul with Encanto leading the pack.
Encanto isn't Pixar and it wasn't straight to Disney+
Old 03-21-22, 11:04 AM

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wanma
Encanto isn't Pixar and it wasn't straight to Disney+
That also confused me too at first. I wasn't sure whether Encanto was a Pixar film or not when I first heard about it. Probably because the movie looks similar to Coco and Luca.
Old 03-21-22, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 696 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Well the finale was that she broke that mold. So she will be growing up without needing to live a double life, but also to embrace what she learned. They did an outstanding job showing that.
And I felt it was more about her Mom dealing with the whole Red Panda thing than anything and suppressing her feelings. She was just as guilty at trying to be this dutiful daughter that was afraid of her own Mom that she didn't know what to do when Mei put her foot down and formed her own opinions and disapproved of her friends.
Old 04-16-22, 12:09 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,176 Likes on 831 Posts

Oh look, someone found the worst possible take on this film.

(1min video in the tweet)

Old 12-05-23, 12:09 PM

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Getting a theatrical release on February 9.

Old 12-05-23, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,464 Likes on 2,491 Posts

I'll at least check this one out in the theater. It definitely got the shaft from Chapek dumping it to Disney +

Old 12-10-23, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 359 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'll at least check this one out in the theater. It definitely got the shaft from Chapek dumping it to Disney +
Looking forward to seeing this in an actual theater.

One of my close friends & I initially watched it on Disney+, so I'll probably reach out to him if he wants to see it again during the re-release.