Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney/Pixar's Turning Red (2022, S: Shi) V: Chiang, Oh

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney/Pixar's Turning Red (2022, S: Shi) V: Chiang, Oh

Old 03-12-22, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 144 Posts
Re: Disney/Pixar's Turning Red (2022, S: Shi) V: Chiang, Oh

Really enjoyed this one. Definitely more mature than most Disney/Pixar material in terms of humor.
Old 03-12-22, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Wow, the animation is outstanding. It's presented in 4k DV.
I too was blown away at the picture quality. Definitely one of the best 4K streaming available.
Old 03-12-22, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,108 Likes on 2,010 Posts

I enjoyed this but outside of the last 15 minutes or so this felt like it was hitting every beat from Teen Wolf. It wasn’t until the end when it starting going in it’s own direction and felt a bit more fresh.

Originally Posted by Decker
I really enjoyed it. Fun entertaining movie.
Mostly confused as to why it was a period film (ha) taking place in 2002 rather than present day. That still seems like a weird decision.
Outside of the social media piece which I would think would have to be addressed since so much of the story took place in front of onlookers. I could also imagine that 2002 was the peak of the boy bands craze. Having that same story point would feel a little behind-the-times in 2022.
Old 03-12-22, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,927 Likes on 4,044 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Outside of the social media piece which I would think would have to be addressed since so much of the story took place in front of onlookers. I could also imagine that 2002 was the peak of the boy bands craze. Having that same story point would feel a little behind-the-times in 2022.
Um, have you heard of an up and coming boy band from Korea called BTS? They’re kinda popular right now.
Old 03-12-22, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 541 Likes on 394 Posts

I thought it was a really cute enjoyable movie with some great kid voice acting. Not as good as Encanto but still a very good Pixar film.
Old 03-13-22, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Um, have you heard of an up and coming boy band from Korea called BTS? They’re kinda popular right now.
You may have a point. I’ve heard of BTS but didn’t think about them when I made my post. Of course, I’m not a 13 year old girl so why would I?
Old 03-13-22, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 810 Likes on 565 Posts

I wouldn't consider the popularity of a single boy band the equivalent of a "boy band craze". What other boy band is popular right now?
The late 90s had a swarm of boy bands at the height of their careers.
Old 03-13-22, 01:56 AM

How many boy bands were the girls of Turning Red obsessing over?
Old 03-13-22, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just going off of what Golden said and your response to him:

I could also imagine that 2002 was the peak of the boy bands craze.
He mentioned the peak of the boy band craze as a possible reason to keeping it set in 2002... and you offered a single boy band that's popular now - which wouldn't be considered a 'boy band craze".

Old 03-13-22, 10:51 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

They’re tied way more to the K-Pop craze that’s been going on.

We all really liked this movie, it had a lot of heart to it. I’d definitely place it above Encanto.
Old 03-13-22, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Coral
I'm just going off of what Golden said and your response to him:

He mentioned the peak of the boy band craze as a possible reason to keeping it set in 2002... and you offered a single boy band that's popular now - which wouldn't be considered a 'boy band craze".
Did you ignore the very next sentence he wrote?
Having that same story point would feel a little behind-the-times in 2022.
Since BTS is a huge draw amongst tween girls, that story point really wouldn’t feel that out of place in a contemporary story, would it?
Old 03-13-22, 11:28 AM

Received 4,451 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Like many great Pixar films before it, brand new feature Turning Red tells a universal story rooted in the specific, exploring puberty from the perspective of a Chinese Canadian tweenager in the early 2000s.

The film – which has now been released exclusively on Disney Plus – goes to great pains to recreate that specific setting, with director Domee Shi inspired by her own experiences growing up.

"It was really fun," she explained to RadioTimes.com when asked about bringing the period to life. "I mean, I have nostalgia and fondness for the early 2000s, and I feel like it's actually coming back now. I feel like teens now embrace the early 2000s once again.

"I just love how that era was so like... it's the beginning of the internet, that y2k kind of aesthetic. You would burn CDs for your friends and like mix CDs for your friends, you know, try to mate your Tamagotchis together.

"That was like a thing I remember. That technology was like just coming in. But it wasn't like everybody was on social media at the time. I just felt like that was just a really rich period to kind of tell this story."

"And especially at that age, like if you told it now there's no way to tell it without talking about social media and the influence of that," added producer Lindsey Collins. "So to tell it kind of pre-that, that kind of introduction allowed it to be a simpler and more relational story, right?

"It's like, what matters to her are her friends and her family, not what everybody else in the world has to say. So I think that allowed it to be kind of a simpler and more kind of intimate portrayal of what it is to be 13."

At a press event prior to the launch of the film, the creative team outlined some of the things they did to make that setting come across – from Mei's denim skirt to her obsession with fictional boyband 4*Town to the presence of flip phones, CDs and jelly bracelets.

But one other key area in which the time period was brought to life was in the music, with prolific film composer and music producer Ludwig Goransson brought in to score the film.

"In addition to his prowess in movie scores, he's also a music producer who has worked with, you know, Childish Gambino, Justin Timberlake, Adele, Lizzo, to name just a few," Collins explained. "So he brought this perfect mix of traditional score and also a deep early 2000s pop knowledge to the movie."

And he wasn't the only prominent musician to play a big role in the finished film – pop sensation Billie Eilish and her brother Finneas O'Connell also wrote songs for the film. And although Eilish would only have been an infant at the time the film was set, Collins said she was a perfect fit.

"When we started thinking about songwriters who could capture the early 2000s sound and bring something fresh to it, Billie's name came up," she explained. "And after further research with the Disney music team, we had a better sense of Finneas and Billie and their influences, their style, and figured why not start with our dream choice?"
https://www.radiotimes.com/movies/tu...ish-exclusive/
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (03-14-22)
Old 03-13-22, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 924 Likes on 652 Posts

I absolutely understand artists working within a time and place they are comfortable. I would probably do the same. But don't try to sell me on the early 2000's as something more than it is just because that's when you happened to be 13.
Old 03-13-22, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you ignore the very next sentence he wrote?

Since BTS is a huge draw amongst tween girls, that story point really wouldn’t feel that out of place in a contemporary story, would it?
Sure it would feel out of place - because the director/co-writer is writing about her experiences in that era and wants to convey that to the audience. It's also a draw to people who were around that age in the early 2000's - giving them a bit of nostalgia. Can't have it set today and ignore smart phones and all the other technologies we have today. May as well set all movies the current times - why have any period pieces at all?
Old 03-13-22, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 541 Likes on 394 Posts

You guys argue about some dumb fucking topics.
The following 2 users liked this post by The Questyen:
John Pannozzi (03-14-22), kakistos (03-13-22)
Old 03-13-22, 01:53 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
welcome to the Internet!
The following 2 users liked this post by jwb0323:
John Pannozzi (03-14-22), tommyp007 (03-13-22)
Old 03-13-22, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I don't know what to tell you man. I was replying to a statement that it would be impossible to set a story about teenagers in the present day if a plot point revolved around a boy band that the girls were obsessed with by pointing out that there is one just like that hugely popular right now. Then Coral chimes in with why make any period pieces at all, which is insane and not at all related to the topic at hand.
If someone wants to say the story wouldn't work in the age of cell phones, I would disagree but could listen to that argument. But boy bands are not a reason why this had to be a story set twenty years ago.
They can set the movie in any period they like. I just think they didn't do a great job establishing that it was set twenty years ago right from the jump. Having an adult narrate the story looking back (rather than the thirteen year old girl protagonist) would have cleared up a lot of the confusion for me.
Old 03-13-22, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In my defense, I never used the word “Impossible” when talking about setting it 20 years ago for boy bands. Personally, I think the late 90s and early 2000s was a bigger time for boy bands but of course it could be set today.

That also doesn’t change the fact that the majority of the movie felt like a ripoff of Teen Wolf for me which takes it down several notches for me, whether it was set today or in 2002.
Old 03-13-22, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 338 Likes on 259 Posts

I watched about 10 minutes and dumped this. Did not catch my interest at all.

Old 03-14-22, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,436 Posts

The BTS-like boy band actually seemed the most anachronistic (I realize they were multi cultural) since it's more of a current phenomena and the 2000 boy bands were very different (unless Canada had a lot of Korean pop stars coming back then or something). It lands the same though. I mean how much realism do you want in a movie where there's a
Spoiler:
kaiju

attack and everyone just goes back to normal?

But really the only indication this happened in the past was a blurb at the beginning and besides a little bit of ??? from us initially it didn't bother me or my kids. I think they mentioned Toronto later in the film and my wife was like "this is in Canada" which shows that she wasn't paying attention and that it wasn't super important to the backstory at least from the audience perspective. Culturally it was probably a lot more relatable to a non-Asian audience than something like Bao.

I do wonder what traditional Asian parents think about it. I think it hit the right beats but it is certainly a big fear (or was at least) that the kids become "Americanized" and lose their family values (of course she doesn't in the end, she just realizes she doesn't have to put on a face all the time). I also wonder how relatable this is to the rest of the world (I think Canada is similar enough to America that it doesn't matter for us). But as a family we liked it.

It also flew way over my head that the title could refer to a certain maturation point in a young girl's life until they mentioned it (which must also be a first for a Disney movie)
Old 03-14-22, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,436 Posts

Oh I forgot to mention this but I loved the visual style of this, very manga/anime-esque especially with the eyes.
Old 03-14-22, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,053 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Oh I forgot to mention this but I loved the visual style of this, very manga/anime-esque especially with the eyes.

In her default face, Mei seemed kinda Aardman-y
The following 2 users liked this post by Count Dooku:
[email protected] (03-23-22), John Pannozzi (03-14-22)
Old 03-14-22, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 697 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
The BTS-like boy band actually seemed the most anachronistic (I realize they were multi cultural) since it's more of a current phenomena and the 2000 boy bands were very different (unless Canada had a lot of Korean pop stars coming back then or something). It lands the same though.
The boy band is less BTS or One Direction and more N'sync, BSB or 98 Degrees.
I did like that mom says, if they're 4*town.. why are there 5 of them?

John Pannozzi (03-15-22)
Old 03-14-22, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I did like that mom says, if they're 4*town.. why are there 5 of them?
Exactly what I said to my kids when they were first introduced. So we got an extra chuckle when the mom said it later.
John Pannozzi (03-15-22)
Old 03-15-22, 04:50 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

No doubt that Disney's decision to pull this from theaters was rash and premature. This actually could've done decently with next to no family friendly competition.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.