Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney/Pixar's Turning Red (2022, S: Shi) V: Chiang, Oh

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney/Pixar's Turning Red (2022, S: Shi) V: Chiang, Oh

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-21, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 318 Likes on 260 Posts
Re: Disney/Pixar's Turning Red (2022, S: Shi) V: Chiang, Oh

Okay, the end of the trailer where she says I'm Calm, turns back into a human and then goes Yes! just to poof back into a panda made me laugh out loud. Looks like it will be a fun movie to watch.
Old 07-14-21, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,223 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think the Asians are good at math trumps the girls are bad at math, because I think there's an "Asian girls (with glasses) are great at math" trope in a ton of places.

That said, I don't find that particularly offensive, and I think it's entirely possible that the mom was checking up on her daughter because she's worried about the transformation (she doesn't seem shocked by the transformation and really even if she was a Tiger mom, why would she be sneaking around the school to make sure her daughter does well in a math test?). Personally I think it's awesome that we have a ton of Asian-led movies even if the major ones still feature Kung Fu or being a ninja.
Well, let me just say from professional experience, even adults with college degrees are fucking idiots with regard to simple mathematics, and that has nothing to do with gender or race or anything, so I say "HOORAY!" to anyone who is encouraged to study math. Math teaches logic.
Old 07-14-21, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Well, let me just say from professional experience, even adults with college degrees are fucking idiots with regard to simple mathematics, and that has nothing to do with gender or race or anything, so I say "HOORAY!" to anyone who is encouraged to study math. Math teaches logic.
Honestly, though, there's a difference between being good at/studying math and being super excited to learn about the quadratic formula.
Old 07-14-21, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,223 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Honestly, though, there's a difference between being good at/studying math and being super excited to learn about the quadratic formula.

Old 11-17-21, 08:48 AM

Received 4,966 Likes on 3,358 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
John Pannozzi (11-17-21), Rodney2187 (01-08-22)
Old 11-17-21, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,458 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Looks fun, I'll give it a watch.
The following users liked this post:
Rodney2187 (01-08-22)
Old 01-07-22, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,976 Likes on 2,829 Posts

Going to Disney + on March 11th

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/t...aa5dee56334940

Chapek screwing Pixar for a 3rd time.

Just my opinion, but if you're a Pixar staffer who worked hard on these movies, it must be a gut punch that Disney is dropping their movies straight to streaming and not giving them a chance to be financially successful. I mentioned it in another thread, but it feels like their content is being devalued as basically "free" content.
The following 3 users liked this post by DJariya:
Rodney2187 (01-08-22), tanman (01-07-22), tommyp007 (03-12-22)
Old 01-07-22, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,927 Likes on 4,716 Posts

Yeah that's a weird decision. I thought we were past dumping theatrical releases on streaming services. And if they aren't playing favorites, the fact that they did put Encanto into the theaters for Thanksgiving sure makes it look like they are.
DJariya (01-07-22)
Old 01-07-22, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk God

To not even give this a chance to make any money in theatres like they did with Encanto doesn't make any sense. I don't know what Chapek is thinking. They should have at least done it the same with Encanto and given it 1 month before putting it on Disney +
Old 01-07-22, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I wish we'd have continued the same day streaming releases... I like that they're doing this with Pixar films, but it certainly feels like a slap in the face that they're not treating Disney films the same.
Old 01-07-22, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk God

I agree with this THR writer. Like he said, it's obvious that Chapek doesn't value his creative talent equally and now Pixar is just a "content creator"

Last edited by DJariya; 01-07-22 at 04:52 PM.
tanman (01-07-22)
Old 01-07-22, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 318 Likes on 260 Posts

I am with Koby and Djariya, happy that I can see this in my apartment on D+ in a couple months, but if they are still only releasing Disney produced animated content in theaters and then a month or two later on D+, while Pixar films go straight to D+, yeah...that is a decision no longer being driven by Covid preventing folks from going to the theater and a deliberate decision by management to use Pixar as a content feeder for D+.

Now the content they are feeding D+ is top shelf product and puts a smile on the face of folks like myself, but yes...it can be demoralizing if Pixar now sees it is pretty obvious that their content is on the feed into streaming waterway, and other Disney content goes down the feeding into theaters waterway.

Disney needs to figure out a way to perk up the employees at Pixar before they start to consider jobs at other animation shops/studios.
Old 01-07-22, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 417 Likes on 316 Posts

I actually feel different about the straight-to-streaming strategy. I don't feel like it's disrespectful at all.

In order to maintain the 118 million Disney+ subscribers (which generates over $900M in revenue a month - minus some promo deal subscribers), Disney needs to continuously put new high profile content on the platform each month. That could be Star Wars shows, Marvel shows, theater-to-streaming movies, and/or just straight-to-streaming movies. Otherwise you would be like me (pre-Hulu Live bundle) and only subscribe month-to-month based on certain shows I'm waiting for. With new high profile content each month, someone might just stay subscribed because the new movie or TV show will be available in a few days, next week, etc...

Disney would rather have $900M in revenue a month, then $200-$400 million (domestic) over a few months in theaters. Future subscription revenue can be "guaranteed", while future box office revenue is more of a prediction.

And some of that $900M in Disney revenue goes to the Pixar budget, so keep that coming.

But that's just my opinion...

Last edited by MLBFan24; 01-07-22 at 05:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MLBFan24:
Deftones (01-07-22), Rodney2187 (01-08-22)
Old 01-07-22, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Pixar has made Disney billions in box office over the last 25+ years. This movie was not designed as a straight to Disney + original. It was something their producers, writers, animators designed for families to see in the theater and was supposed to be their 1st big movie of 2022. I'm not trying to be a shill for Pixar, but it has to be demoralizing that their movies are no longer viewed as top tier films for the Disney library, but just "content" for a streaming service.
Old 01-07-22, 05:39 PM

Received 4,966 Likes on 3,358 Posts

No reason not to give this at least a 30-day window.
The following 3 users liked this post by dex14:
devilshalo (01-07-22), DJariya (01-07-22), story (01-07-22)
Old 01-07-22, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,106 Likes on 773 Posts

I read through this entire thread and there was not a single mention of Teen Wolf. You guys are slipping.
Old 01-07-22, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,112 Likes on 769 Posts

Because it's a panda...duh...
Old 01-07-22, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,458 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I think too many folks in this thread are still falling for the old way of thinking that “direct to video” equals lower quality.

Streaming is the way. It is where people will be watching things going forward. The pandemic may have pushed it through a little faster but it was already moving in this direction.

I agree it may feel like a slight to release some to the theater and not others, and that’s worth discussing but as far as financial goes someone else already posted how much D+ subscriptions generate and we all know Pixar makes the most of their money with merchandising. Look at Cars and Frozen.
Rodney2187 (01-08-22)
Old 01-07-22, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I think too many folks in this thread are still falling for the old way of thinking that “direct to video” equals lower quality.

Streaming is the way. It is where people will be watching things going forward. The pandemic may have pushed it through a little faster but it was already moving in this direction.

I agree it may feel like a slight to release some to the theater and not others, and that’s worth discussing but as far as financial goes someone else already posted how much D+ subscriptions generate and we all know Pixar makes the most of their money with merchandising. Look at Cars and Frozen.
Tell that to Spider-Man.

Pixar releases since the pandemic:
Onward was understandable.
Soul following what Onward did.
Lucca there were already rumblings of hard feelings from Pixar of being side lined.

Every other Disney release:
Mulan - Disney+ Premier access
Cruella - Theater and Disney+ Premier access
Black Widow - Theater and Disney+ Premier access
Jungle Cruise - Theater and Disney+ Premier access
Shang Chi - Theater
Eternals - Theater
Encanto - Theater
Now Turning Red - Disney+

All four Pixar movies have been released as a Disney+ movie when they were intended for a theatrical release. None of the other Disney released movies created for a theatrical release have been treated the same way.

Far be it from me to look a gift horse in the mouth and this seemingly goes against Bob Paycheck's nickel and dime nature. But I think it does malign all the artists at Pixar that have produced these movies. And yeah sure streaming is the future blah blah blah. But making movies is more then just a business. Especially for the artists making them. The grunts on the ground actually making these movies are seeing a cut of the profits so the artistry side of it is a big reason why they do what they do. It's a huge slap in the face.
DJariya (01-07-22)
Old 01-07-22, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman
Because it's a panda...duh...
Take two:

Because it's a pan...duh....

Old 01-08-22, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
I actually feel different about the straight-to-streaming strategy. I don't feel like it's disrespectful at all.

In order to maintain the 118 million Disney+ subscribers (which generates over $900M in revenue a month - minus some promo deal subscribers), Disney needs to continuously put new high profile content on the platform each month. That could be Star Wars shows, Marvel shows, theater-to-streaming movies, and/or just straight-to-streaming movies. Otherwise you would be like me (pre-Hulu Live bundle) and only subscribe month-to-month based on certain shows I'm waiting for. With new high profile content each month, someone might just stay subscribed because the new movie or TV show will be available in a few days, next week, etc...

Disney would rather have $900M in revenue a month, then $200-$400 million (domestic) over a few months in theaters. Future subscription revenue can be "guaranteed", while future box office revenue is more of a prediction.

And some of that $900M in Disney revenue goes to the Pixar budget, so keep that coming.

But that's just my opinion...
Originally Posted by milo bloom

Except Pixar staff have ALREADY complained and moaned about it being disrespectful and questioning why ONLY their work gets this treatment with their past films as it is... and it seemingly has fallen on deaf ears as they continue to treat Pixar films as second class citizens who are told they'll get a theatrical release yet get tossed onto Disney+ for free... while Disney films that get tossed on Disney+ do so with a premium cost ontop of it... not for free.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/04/pi...ng-1234633910/
https://screenrant.com/pixar-luca-so...d-controversy/

I can't really see them continuing to remain silent or stick around for future projects while being so upset with how they see their work being treated.

It's not about it not getting a theatrical release at all, but also the fact that their films don't get the "premium" cost additive that Disney films do when they hit streaming.

Considering this is the third time this has happened, it paints a clear picture of the difference in treatment between films produced under the Pixar label and films not.

Last edited by Koby; 01-08-22 at 02:40 AM.
Old 01-08-22, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,927 Likes on 4,716 Posts

Clarification : Onward was in theaters but did crappy business as one of the last major release before the shutdown. It quickly Went to Disney Plus once all the theaters closed.
Old 01-08-22, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Onward was totally understandable. Soul was kind of a Christmas gift to Disney+ members. Lucca could totally have been in the theaters of part of their premium access. They had already released Mulan, Raya, and Cruella that way. Turning Red is just a slap in the face to the Pixar artists.

Again it's really weird advocating for paying for something when it comes to Disney, especially under the Bob Paycheck era.
Old 01-08-22, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Will their movies still be eligible for Academy consideration?
milo bloom (01-08-22)
Old 01-08-22, 11:32 AM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Will their movies still be eligible for Academy consideration?
The movie will more than likely have a limited run in el capitan. Also in theaters that do not have Disney+.
There are still nearly 600 theaters that not have not opened since last year. The chances of going back to limited capacity and or limited hors is high.
Best to do this now, as they probably have data we are not aware of.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.