Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Argylle (2024, D: Vaughn) S: Cavill, Rockwell, Howard, Cranston, Cena, Jackson, O’Hara, Lipa

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Argylle (2024, D: Vaughn) S: Cavill, Rockwell, Howard, Cranston, Cena, Jackson, O’Hara, Lipa

Old 02-11-24, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 143 Posts
Re: Argylle (2024, D: Vaughn) S: Cavill, Rockwell, Howard, Cranston, Cena, Jackson, O’Hara, Lipa

Caught this today while killing time before the game. Overall, I found it enjoyable, if a bit out there in terms of believability, but that's pretty much Matthew Vaughn.
Spoiler:
The movie is basically The Lost City meets Long Kiss Goodnight, and it even includes Sam Jackson as a cast member, which I'm sure was an intentional connection. Bryce Dallas Howard is very hard to buy as someone capable of doing the action scenes they had her doing. But that's kind of Vaughn's trademark. I find it a bit difficult to connect this to Kingsman universe, given that both Jackson and Boutale played characters in that franchise.

I was using prepaid passes to see it, so no money lost. Could have easily trimmed 20 minutes off the run time and made it work. I really do think if there's any future for a franchise with this, it needs to be on Apple TV+, as the movie felt more like a direct to streaming release. Not bad, but not anything exceptional. I think Vaughn was a bit restrained in terms of the over the top violence he wanted to show.
Old 02-11-24, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,116 Likes on 878 Posts
Re: Argylle (2024, D: Vaughn) S: Cavill, Rockwell, Howard, Cranston, Cena, Jackson, O’Hara, Lipa

Caught a matinee of this with my wife today. I actually liked it a lot. Not sure why it’s gotten such negative reviews.

Over the top for sure but very much has Matthew Vaughn’s signature feel all over it. Some good twists, a fun cast, over the top action. Lots of fun if you ask me. I’d also be curious to see more of how this ties in with the Kingsman movies.
Old 02-12-24, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 805 Likes on 532 Posts

Holy shit. I’ve never seen a movie go so downhill so fast. I really, really enjoyed the first 2/3’s of this. Once the smoke bomb scene happened, I checked out and there was no going back. I thought Rockwell and Cavill were the standouts for me.
I like most of Vaughn’s films, so I was bummed out I didn’t enjoy this more.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (02-15-24)
Old 02-12-24, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the smoke bomb scene was fun. Over the top and ridiculous but I laughed a bunch at it.

I guess I don’t understand the complaints about not being grounded. That’s not usually Vaughn’s style. Not sure why this would be different.
Old 02-12-24, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Grabbed the book today. I’ll read it eventually.
Old 02-15-24, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Received 1,051 Likes on 611 Posts

Caught this as the Valentine's pick (wife's choice, not mine). Think this needs to lose about 45min of runtime and gain a few real sets. I hated looking at this movie. I didn't mind the over-the-top-ness, but just want to see real light hitting real surfaces. And what's with all the flashbacks to stuff we've already seen? Does the movie think the audience is that stupid?
Old 02-15-24, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,001 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Caught this as the Valentine's pick (wife's choice, not mine). Think this needs to lose about 45min of runtime and gain a few real sets. I hated looking at this movie. I didn't mind the over-the-top-ness, but just want to see real light hitting real surfaces. And what's with all the flashbacks to stuff we've already seen? Does the movie think the audience is that stupid?
Short answer: Yes
Long answer: Definitely
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (02-15-24)
Old 02-20-24, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 674 Likes on 556 Posts

Maybe "Electric Energy" will outlive the movie?

Old 02-20-24, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,103 Likes on 2,009 Posts

^ Catchy song. Too bad Cavill seemed to have the enthusiasm of a plank of wood.
Old 02-20-24, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 674 Likes on 556 Posts

just like his acting