Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Argylle (2024, D: Vaughn) S: Cavill, Rockwell, Howard, Cranston, Cena, Jackson, O’Hara, Lipa

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Argylle (2024, D: Vaughn) S: Cavill, Rockwell, Howard, Cranston, Cena, Jackson, O’Hara, Lipa

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-21, 12:53 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

“Kingsman” director Matthew Vaughn has signed up an all-star cast for his new film franchise “Argylle,” which will be produced by Vaughn’s U.K.-based studio MARV.

Henry Cavill (“Man of Steel”), Sam Rockwell (“Moon”), Bryce Dallas Howard (“Jurassic World”), Bryan Cranston (“Breaking Bad”), Catherine O’Hara (“Schitt’s Creek”), John Cena (“Bumblebee”) and Samuel L. Jackson (“Avengers: Endgame”) are all set to appear in the spy thriller.

MARV is already planning at least three films in the franchise, which is based on a debut novel of the same name by first-time author Ellie Conway.

The thriller is set to be published next year by Transworld Publishers Ltd., a division of Penguin Random House. Shooting on the film will begin in Europe this August.

The film (and book) will follow the globe-trotting adventures of a super-spy named Argylle across the U.S., London and other exotic locations. Pop singer Dua Lipa will provide music for the title track and score as well as making her acting debut in the feature.

“When I read this early draft manuscript I felt it was the most incredible and original spy franchise since Ian Fleming’s books of the ’50s,” said Vaughan. “This is going to reinvent the spy genre.”

Zygi Kamasa, CEO of MARV said: “We are delighted that we will be starting our fourth, and by far the biggest, feature film production since the start of the global pandemic. It demonstrates both our desire to scale up our production activity and our ambition to continue to launch new franchises beyond the ‘Kingsman’ series of films.”

Jason Fuchs (“Wonder Woman”) is writing the script and MARV and Vaughan will produce alongside Fuchs, Adam Bohling and David Reid. Zygi Kamasa, Carlos Peres, Claudia Vaughn and Adam Fishbach will exec produce.
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/m...235014809/amp/
Old 07-08-21, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,199 Likes on 2,065 Posts
re: Argylle (2024, D: Vaughn) S: Cavill, Rockwell, Howard, Cranston, Cena, Jackson, O’Hara, Lipa

So this isn’t a spin-off of Die Hard?

Thats a hell of a cast they have there. I guess it’s a good consolation prize for anyone hoping to see Cavill cast as the next Bond.
Old 08-04-21, 02:32 PM

re: Argylle (2024, D: Vaughn) S: Cavill, Rockwell, Howard, Cranston, Cena, Jackson, O’Hara, Lipa

Apple is near completion on another seismic film package streamer deal. Apple Original Films is closing worldwide rights on Argylle, the next film to be directed by Matthew Vaughn and produced by his MARV banner. First unveiled with cast recently, the package bore an ask of $200 million and Deadline hears that this deal will close right around that mark. It’s a deal for one picture but the hope will be to launch a franchise. The picture comes with a killer cast led by Henry Cavill, Sam Rockwell, Bryce Dallas Howard, Bryan Cranston, Catherine O’Hara, John Cena and Samuel L. Jackson. Making her screen starring debut will be singing sensation Dua Lipa, who will also provide music for the title track and score. Apple already had a relationship with Vaughn, last year acquiring the biopic Tetris: The Movie, with Taron Edgerton, playing the video game impresario.

The parties confirmed the deal, but weren’t talking money. “I’m thrilled to team with Apple and bring the most compelling spy thriller I’ve ever read to the only streaming service that can create a franchise of this scale and quality for global audiences to experience,” Vaughn said.

The film, based on the soon to be launched spy novel Argylle from author Ellie Conway, follows the world’s greatest spy as he is caught up in a globe-trotting adventure. Conway’s debut thriller is scheduled to be published in a major launch in 2022 by Transworld Publishers Ltd, a division of Penguin Random House.

Jason Fuchs penned the script, and Vaughn’s regular collaborators Adam Bohling and David Reid are also producing, as is Fuchs. Zygi Kamasa, Carlos Peres, Claudia Vaughn and Adam Fishbach will serve as executive producers.

While the financial commitment feels high, it has become the accepted price of doing business on these ready to go star packages, particularly one that could become a global spy series like 007. Apple has landed several of these big ticket film packages. They include the Will Smith-Antoine Fuqua thriller Emancipation, currently in production, as well as the Martin Scorsese-directed Killers of the Flower Moon. with Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert De Niro starring in the Eric Roth-scripted adaptation of the David Grann book. Apple also landed the Ridley Scott-directed Napoleon pic Kitbag starring Joaquin Phoenix as the French leader and Jodie Comer playing his wife. Shooting is set to begin later this year.

Vaughn is repped by WME and Ziffren Brittenham.
https://deadline.com/2021/08/apple-2...l6ZqCt_BCf-HhU
Old 03-08-22, 12:51 PM

Old 06-15-23, 03:08 PM

Re: Argylle (2024, D: Vaughn) S: Cavill, Rockwell, Howard, Cranston, Cena, Jackson, O’Hara, Lipa

“Argylle,” a new globe-trotting spy adventure from director Matthew Vaughn, is coming to theaters in 2024.

The film, which is being produced by Apple Original Films and distributed by Universal Pictures, will land on the big screen on Feb. 2 before streaming on Apple TV+ on a later date.

“Argylle” follows Henry Cavill as a super-spy whose job takes him across the U.S., London and other exotic locations. He plays a secret agent suffering from amnesia who is tricked into believing he’s a novelist. The star-studded cast also features Bryce Dallas Howard, Sam Rockwell, Bryan Cranston, Catherine O’Hara, John Cena, Dua Lipa, Ariana DeBose and Samuel L. Jackson.

Vaughn’s U.K.-based studio Marv is already planning at least three films in the franchise, which is based on a debut novel of the same name by first-time author Ellie Conway.

“When I read this early draft manuscript I felt it was the most incredible and original spy franchise since Ian Fleming’s books of the ’50s,” Vaughan previously said about the thriller. “This is going to reinvent the spy genre.”

Jason Fuchs wrote the screenplay. The film is produced by Cloudy Productions and Vaughn’s regular collaborators Adam Bohling and David Reid, as well as Fuchs. Zygi Kamasa, Carlos Peres, Claudia Vaughn and Adam Fishbach serve as executive producers.
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/m...te-1235645590/
Old 06-17-23, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Argylle (2024, D: Vaughn) S: Cavill, Rockwell, Howard, Cranston, Cena, Jackson, O’Hara, Lipa

I'm intrigued by the debut novel/first-time author aspect of this production. Can a new work by a first-time author be that good that it launches an instant new franchise? Have the actors even read it? Has anyone else? Is it really that good? Or does it simply have enough of the ready-made elements required to construct a by-the-numbers action blockbuster with good enough parts, on paper at least, to attract some name actors. Did the first-time author write the script? Or was there behind-the-scenes help from some old hands at this kind of thing? Or is it, by some completely miraculous fluke, a new original idea by a new author injecting new blood into a tired old industry?
Old 06-18-23, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I'm intrigued by the debut novel/first-time author aspect of this production. Can a new work by a first-time author be that good that it launches an instant new franchise? Have the actors even read it? Has anyone else? Is it really that good? Or does it simply have enough of the ready-made elements required to construct a by-the-numbers action blockbuster with good enough parts, on paper at least, to attract some name actors. Did the first-time author write the script? Or was there behind-the-scenes help from some old hands at this kind of thing? Or is it, by some completely miraculous fluke, a new original idea by a new author injecting new blood into a tired old industry?
reading the summary it’s sounds like a cross between
Spoiler:
Bourne Identity meets Romancing the Stone
Old 09-28-23, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Looks fun. Kind of reminds me of a spy version of Romancing the Stone.
Old 09-28-23, 10:30 AM

Dua Lipa is hot AF. Sign me up.
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
Obi-Wanma (09-28-23), Why So Blu? (09-28-23)
Old 09-28-23, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,199 Likes on 2,065 Posts

That trailer is a bit of a mess but I trust the actual movie will be a lot of fun.

I have a not-so-secret crush on Bryce Dallas Howard. I’ll watch her in anything.
Old 09-28-23, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

It's in 4K DV/Atmos if you watch it via ATV+ app. Looks fun as hell.
Old 09-28-23, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Looks great
Old 09-28-23, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts

I'll watch anything Vaughn directs, so this will be a must watch for me.
Old 09-28-23, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Looks like fun . Romancing the Stone meets...just about any action franchise these days.
Old 09-28-23, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 433 Likes on 297 Posts

Looks great… no clue what it was but the cat in the backpack was worth checking out.

Opening night!
Old 09-28-23, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Looks like fun . Romancing the Stone meets...just about any action franchise these days.
At first I got serious The Lost City vibes from it, which is another recent Romancing the Stone riff I enjoyed.

Interesting tidbit from Wikipedia:

The Hollywood Reporter questioned the identity of first-time author Elly Conway, whose book is the basis of the film, as the only evidence of her existence include an Instagram account with no posts and a two-line bio that says she resides in the United States. They also pointed out that her name is spelled differently, as Ellie, on the website of the publisher Penguin Random House, and said their attempts to contact her, her publicist, and her talent agent were unsuccessful.[18] The trailer reveals the film's protagonist is in fact the in-universe author of the Argylle novels.[4]

Last edited by RocShemp; 09-28-23 at 10:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
story (09-29-23)
Old 09-29-23, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
At first I got serious The Lost City vibes from it, which is another recent Romancing the Stone riff I enjoyed.

Interesting tidbit from Wikipedia:

This movie looks to be extremely meta. I think we may be in for something similar to the "Castle" books put out at the same time as the TV series where they were ghost written but attributed to the character in the series.

Also, having seen his filmography as a whole, I think Matthew Vaughn may be the best action director working today, with the possible exception of Chad Stahleski, but the latter hasn't really expanded outside of John Wick.
Old 09-29-23, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Looks fun as hell. Great cast too. Totally in
Old 01-31-24, 09:10 AM

This is out tomorrow evening. I can finally stop seeing that trailer at every screening!
Old 01-31-24, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Looks really fun. Plus directed by Matthew Vaughn and with a pretty stacked cast. Definitely interested in seeing it.
Old 01-31-24, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

No reviews is usually a solid sign!
Old 01-31-24, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Old 01-31-24, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2
No reviews is usually a solid sign!
Out now: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/argylle
Old 01-31-24, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

So far it is at 37%, ouch. Still, I think this will be a rather fun film to watch when it hits cable/streaming.

Old 01-31-24, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
So far it is at 37%, ouch. Still, I think this will be a rather fun film to watch when it hits cable/streaming.
No cable. It will be on Apple TV+.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.