Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney's Encanto (2021, D: Howard/Bush/Castro Smith) V: Stephanie Beatriz, music by Lin-Manuel Miranda

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney's Encanto (2021, D: Howard/Bush/Castro Smith) V: Stephanie Beatriz, music by Lin-Manuel Miranda

Old 12-24-21, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts
Re: Disney's Encanto (2021, D: Howard/Bush/Castro Smith) V: Stephanie Beatriz, music by Lin-Manuel Mirand

Watching it now on D+
Old 12-24-21, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 565 Likes on 415 Posts
Re: Disney's Encanto (2021, D: Howard/Bush/Castro Smith) V: Stephanie Beatriz, music by Lin-Manuel Mirand

This was fantastic. Great animation and songs. Top tier modern Disney in my opinion.
Old 12-24-21, 08:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 946 Likes on 792 Posts

I bought this on Vudu. Can’t wait. Looks so so colorful. Glad Beatriz getting around. From guest as sister on Modern Family to B99, then she was great in In the Heights.
Old 12-24-21, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 745 Likes on 545 Posts

Seems like a tried and true story of redemption. It was okay, but repetitive on familial themes from other Pixar films.
Old 12-25-21, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Very good movie. I liked most of the songs. I didn't hate any but a few didn't hit with me. The animation was good but didn't hit any new ground In a world with Arcane and Maya and the Three the animation bar has been raised pretty high. The story was simple and good. Its about family.
Old 12-25-21, 07:06 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I loved it. The music really made the movie. I think this will be up for some Oscars next year.
Old 12-27-21, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,709 Likes on 2,665 Posts

Just watched this a 2nd time on Disney + I think I liked it better the second time around. Maybe I was a little tired when I saw it in the theatre a month ago.

Disney + hasn't posted any bonus or making of material yet. I'd to see what went into making this movie.
Old 12-28-21, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Just watched it last night. Enjoyed it but all through the songs and choreography, I was thinking it seemed like a stage play. Then I saw who did the music and it all came together.
Old 12-28-21, 09:34 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Just watched this a 2nd time on Disney + I think I liked it better the second time around. Maybe I was a little tired when I saw it in the theatre a month ago.

Disney + hasn't posted any bonus or making of material yet. I'd to see what went into making this movie.
I thought this wasÖ.okay. I actually thought it wasnít all that in terms of the music. Miranda has done way better music in just about everything else, including Moana. I think I need to give it another watch to see if I also like it better a second time around.

No extras, but I came upon this on Twitter from Kai Martinez. She has a lot of video of her and other dancers doing the routines for the movie where it looks like they based the animation off of.
Old 12-28-21, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

We watched the day after Christmas on D+ and absolutely LOVED it!
Old 12-28-21, 05:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 946 Likes on 792 Posts

This was wonderful. Lin-Manuel is just amazing. His trifecta this year are among my top 5 probably with Encanto, tick…tick, Boom! (directed), and In the Heights. Just a marvel. His songs, lyrics, melody’s are so original and poetic. Everything he does is poetic and beautiful in so many ways. Encanto was beautiful, but I actually rushed there were more songs in the movie. I thought little dearth from what I was expecting, but great nonetheless.

So what was Mirabel’s actual power?
Spoiler:
that she has total power to keep house, village, family together? Like does she have most now?

Old 12-28-21, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been listening to the soundtrack pretty much non-stop in my car since watching the movie. Love love the songs.
Old 01-01-22, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,275 Likes on 2,105 Posts

What a truly wonderful movie! I loved everything about this. The songs, the story, the visuals, it was all just fantastic.

This may be the most colorful and visually beautiful CGI animation Iíve ever seen. Off the top of my head I canít think of anything that would beat it.

4.5/5
Old 01-01-22, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,042 Likes on 859 Posts

Really good movie, and looked great in 4K. I've mainly seen Beatriz in B99 and didn't realize it was her voice. I thought midway through that the music sounded like LMM, and yes, I try to avoid movie info going in. I saw one tagline of "There's a little magic in almost all of us," which I thought sounded mean and exclusionary until I saw the movie.

It's funny how different services have different descriptions (which I assume are provided by Disney). E.g.,

D+: Mirabel discovers she may be the key to saving the magic that surrounds her extraordinary family.

Vudu: [Encanto] tells the tale of the Madrigals, an extraordinary family living in a magical house in the Colombian mountains. But when Mirabel, the only ordinary family member, discovers the magic surrounding their home is in danger, she may be her family's last hope.

Microsoft: ENCANTO follows Mirabel, her extraordinary family and their magical house.

itunes is really long and lays out the plot, so if you keep reading I guess it's kind of on you. I dislike the short ones like D+ that at a glance might reveal more than you want to know. However, I know that I'm weird in trying to avoid spoilers if I already know I want to see the movie, and some people like to know the full plot before they go in.

Old 01-02-22, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I just got back from seeing it. I thought it was pretty good, but not great. This isn't going to be one of the all-time Disney classics, but it's still a very enjoyable movie.

It's beautifully animated and the colors are so vibrant. This movie is really about the long mythology of this Colombian family and some misunderstandings that happen along the way. The one criticism I had was there wasn't a "villain" or antagonist.

Mirabel, voiced by Stephanie Beatriz from Brooklyn 99, is a very charming and likable lead character. The whole family dynamics was one of the strong points. The songs by Miranda were okay, but none of them really stood out.

I'd give this an 8 out of 10 and maybe a B. If you have kids, I think this will make a good family viewing experience. I wouldn't call this "must see" theatrical. If you don't have any sense of urgency to see animated movies like this or kids begging you take them, I guess you can wait to see it in a month on Disney +
This echos my main criticism of the movie that there was no real antagonist. Not every story needs one of course but I had a hard time coming to grips with what this story was trying to tell. Maybe itís because unlike most animated/Disney movies itís less a journey of discovery for the protagonist: yes she comes into her own after having doubts about herself but it basically comes down to sheís right everyone else is wrong and everyone else goes through a sort of transformation.

also, from the start my kids especially were against Abuella and most of the family for the way they treat her. Maybe that was the point.
Old 01-12-22, 12:30 PM
Political Exile

Received 484 Likes on 320 Posts

I finally sat down and watched this movie in my home theater and really enjoyed it. I've always enjoyed musical Disney movies with the song and dance, and it's great that they are moving back to that style. Will probably pick up the steelbook at Best Buy.

This tweet is a hot take though from the NY Times. Not enough sex and romance?
Old 01-12-22, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts

Weird hot take there. That man needs to go watch Benedetta.
Old 01-12-22, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 745 Likes on 545 Posts

I guess love of family wasn't good enough. Still think this was "meh".
Old 01-14-22, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

DIsney movies not being horny enough is a weird way to define decadence.
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (01-14-22)
Old 01-23-22, 10:20 AM

Received 4,680 Likes on 3,168 Posts

“We Don’t Talk About Bruno,” from Disney’s "Encanto," is the highest-charting song from a Disney animated film in more than 26 years, outranking even “Let It Go.” Lin Manuel Miranda didn’t see the massive popularity of the song coming.
https://apnews.com/article/entertain...491c3f5b940d25
Old 01-23-22, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts

When I heard that last week, I was really surprised as well, because the song didn't seem to be a standout. Maybe I'll have to listen to it again.
Old 01-23-22, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I didn't like the film. Took 3 tries to get through it and didn't enjoy any of the songs.
Old 01-23-22, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've now watched it 5 times since release. Probably my favorite Disney movie of the last 20 years and easily the best music.
Old 01-23-22, 06:13 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought it was just decent. The songs and lead character were alright, the concept was interesting but they didn't do a lot with it. The execution felt generic, and it ends pretty abruptly. I enjoyed Raya and Luca quite a bit more.

Wreck it Ralph 2 is still easily the worst Disney animation movie of the past decade.
Old 02-08-22, 06:41 AM
Political Exile

Received 484 Likes on 320 Posts

Encanto steelbook is out today at Best Buy for those that didn't preorder. Sold out for delivery and in store seems to be selling quick. Unfortunately the price went back up to $35. It was unavailable to order but priced at $30 over the weekend.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.