Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) -- S: Johansson, Pugh -- The Spoiler Review Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Black Widow?
5 stars
3.95%
4 3/4 stars
0%
4 1/2 stars
5.26%
4 stars
26.32%
3 3/4 stars
9.21%
3 1/2 stars
18.42%
3 stars
18.42%
2 3/4 stars
3.95%
2 1/2 stars
5.26%
2 stars
5.26%
1 3/4 stars
0%
1 1/2 stars
2.63%
1 star
0%
0 stars
0%
She's dead. Who cares??
1.32%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) -- S: Johansson, Pugh -- The Spoiler Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-21, 08:43 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) -- S: Johansson, Pugh -- The Spoiler Review Thread

Originally Posted by RichC2
Deadline states Disney will ultimately pay $40m for this blunder.
drop in the fucking bucket for them.
Old 09-30-21, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
Re: Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) -- S: Johansson, Pugh -- The Spoiler Review Thread

I think I read that she was granted the copyright to Friday the 13th. Good for her. Good for her.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
RichC2 (09-30-21), TGM (10-01-21)
Old 10-04-21, 07:04 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Disney Plus announced that Marvel Studios’ “Black Widow” will be available to all Disney Plus subscribers beginning Wednesday.
Old 10-04-21, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I only saw it once when it theaters months ago. I'll watch it again probably this or next weekend after it hits Disney + I likely won't pick up any physical media until the holidays when it hopefully gets cheaper.
Old 10-04-21, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Deadline states Disney will ultimately pay $40m for this blunder.
She was asking for 50m... so its a win, win situation. heh
Old 10-07-21, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Forgot about this being on D+ already, woo hoo! Going to be a fun Friday evening for me as I sit down to watch.
Old 10-09-21, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

I had held off seeing this for the longest time because I just wasn’t that interested. I don’t know if it was because of Marvel burnout, the fact that this takes place before the last few Avengers movies and we already know the fate of Black Widow, or what. Either way, my interest was minimal.

Anyway, I caught this on Disney+ tonight and absolutely loved it. Probably in my top 5 Marvel movies! It was different enough that I didn’t feel like it was following the exact same formula we’ve seen lately. It played more like a Jason Bourne movie in the Marvel universe. I thinks that’s why I liked it. Also, they put together a great cast. Winstone, Harbor, Weisz were all fantastic but Florence Pugh was the absolute standout. I was never a huge fan of Black Widow but I’m absolutely interested in the series if she continues on.

Overall, a very pleasant surprise!
Old 10-17-21, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Finally saw this on Disney+.

I thought this was ok. Some of the stunts were just too much. Such as Natasha getting thrown around in a SUV as it roll over crashes multiple times, but she gets out ok. I know this is Marvel and I'm suppose to suspend disbelief, but c'mon now...

Florence Pugh as Yelena was awesome. Great new MCU character.

The story was ok. Usually we get a heavy dose of the villain's backstory in these films, but not this time (Dreykov).
Old 10-17-21, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Thinking back on this after watching Shang Chi, specifically regarding the fight scenes, they really should have gone with a more realistic flavor to the action. At least in the first few fight scenes. I thought the choreography in Shang Chi was great and helped to make the movie more relatable vs yet another over the top superhero action sequence. I thought Winter Soldier did a much better job with more realistic action which grounded the movie better. At least until the last action sequence which was appropriately spectacular in both movies.
Old 10-18-21, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Well, she kinda is. Not to level of Captain America, but this whole movie centered around the super soldier serum vials (the red stuff, which apparently the antidote, which also is red and aerial and then no more Black Window hold, think lose powers too?) and Black Widow program that Natasha got out of. She took some type of it which gives her the super quick reflexes and fighting stuff, but not strength. I dunno I read about it somewhere, but that’s what the movie was, trying to get remaining vials and I guess destroy them. That was my gripe. We thought there was 1 serum that went to Steve, Dr. killed and no more. More comes with Winter Soldier/Hydra, the 5 or 6 others Nemo killed. Then there’s trying to make more and it just seems these serums are not infinite, unlike the infinity stones, which apparently are used as paper weights now or in that timeline or whatever. Blah. Rehashed and revamped. Marvel is better than this.
Finally watched this and going back through the comments, but I have to ask... what in the world are you talking about the super serum and the Widows getting it? Did I miss part of the movie? To my knowledge we have no idea what gave Red Guardian his powers or if it's related to Steve's serum either.

BTW, the way they call it out in the movie I wasn't sure, was he lying about interacting with Captain America or is that hinting that they had a replacement Cap in the 80s (which would be weird because the only reason to revive the Cap name is to make a spectacle out of him and surely someone would have mentioned it before this)? I don't think even Isiah Bradley wore the suit, right?
Old 10-20-21, 02:23 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Old 10-20-21, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Once they settled, then they could release this.. things that make you go 🤔
Old 10-20-21, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

They could do a sequel and have it take place during the 5-year "blip" - but they'd have to have cameos from Cap and Hulk (and maybe Stark).
Old 10-21-21, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
They could do a sequel and have it take place during the 5-year "blip" - but they'd have to have cameos from Cap and Hulk (and maybe Stark).
The Hulk would probably be a yea, but other than that, the best we'd probably get is Rhodey and the Raccoon.

They could use the movie to show how Bruce became Professor Hulk, maybe even include the Gray Hulk in there, too for the hell of it.
Old 10-21-21, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

See, explaining the Hulk's journey would be worthwhile since it's pretty jarring (though with the whole rights thing unlikely to happen). But I really don't need to see a movie that explains why Natasha died her hair red and let it grow out (much like we didn't really need a movie about how Natasha got her vest). It feels like this movie was saying goodbye to this character and introducing a new Black Widow.
Old 10-21-21, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I watched the Making of Black Widow documentary last night on Disney + and it was actually pretty good. Too bad it was filmed before all the shit went down with Scarlett and Disney this past summer.

There were some really interviews with the cast and the director. It ran about 57 minutes.

I guess now Marvel isn't going to put these documentaries on the physical media and will just add them to Disney + as part of this Assembled series.
Old 11-20-21, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I finally got around to watching this. A friend of mine doesn’t have D+ so I was waiting for him to be available. I wasn’t sure I’d want to watch this twice based on reviews and from what other friends have said. I’m glad I was right. Man I really disliked this.
I know every action movie falls victim to this in some way, but I could not overlook the ridiculous shit she could pull off and endure. She’s not a super soldier, she’s a regular human (albeit highly trained). It just completely took me out of the movie. Plus the guy who kept showing up and providing comic relief. Did he even have a name? Every time he appeared we yelled who are you? It’s like in the Room when people kept appearing with no introduction.
The only thing keeping this out of the cellar of the MCU is Iron Man 3. In a few days we are gonna watch Shang Chi and if they manage to remedy the Mandarin travesty, Black Widow could move to the bottom.
Old 11-22-21, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

We finally watched this...it was Ok. I share lots of the same feelings from Toddarino above. Nothing I need to own or see again.

Old 11-22-21, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

I honestly felt the best part of the movie was Black Widow being mocked for her landing stances by Pugh. Just not a memorable movie. I really hope Scarlet's secret project is not a sequel. And I love the BW character and Scarlet.