Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which actor do you think does the most for Hollywood and society?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-01-21, 06:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

So I came across this article…Forbes’ most generous celebrities.

I never would have thought who was #1. Who used to be and kinda still is my crush as Hollywood actresses go, even though not around much anymore. Still looks great! But, I do think outdated list.

my picks (or at least who I think is most), though going only by some interviews. But, doing for Hollywood, I would go with Robert De Niro and Robert Redford bc of their respective film festivals (Tribeca and Sundance, respectively) and bringing light to movies and filmmakers that might not have been made/seen or come to wider attention without them. And when they do a talk show, more so De Niro, Redford pretty rare, they talk about the festival and not themselves. I think that’s great they take the time to help unseen Hollywood up and comers or at least tries. I mean what do they care? They hate attention, the both of them and they have nothing more to prove in their careers. Really worked themselves up and true success stories. Now, they give to others in industry bc they can, want to, and really do care and want great ideas of all things

But, for society, the stuff that the new Brat Pack are doing is amazing.

Matt Damon with the water thing (think Ben does with him) always amazes me and I think fracking he’s talked about for real or was that just for movie Promised Land. But, also Clooney, Pitt, even Don Cheadle do a lot for our and much more underprivileged nations. Angelina Jolie too. Isn’t she an actual ambassador to or of something?

But, I think the one in my mind, the one that did a lot before any of them was Paul Newman. He never got a dime for his products (I know others don’t either). And, there are so many and they are good. I’ve had sauce, popcorn, peanut butter, I know others and all, all proceeds have gone to his passion projects and charities I mean of course it still does. Even after his death. He did so much with that brand.

who’s your pick for most generous to Hollywood and most generous to society or part of society that has the biggest impact?
Old 07-01-21, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts
Re: Which actor do you think does the most for Hollywood and society?

Jamie Gertz is married to the billionaire who owns the Washington Wizards. He's worth $5B.
​​​​​
Old 07-01-21, 07:03 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Good for her. Still contributes and does a lot.
Old 07-01-21, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

He's gone now, but the answer should be pretty obvious : Paul Newman and his foundation has donated over $570M to charity. He started a company that became a huge success in the retail food industry and donated ALL PROCEEDS to charity. We will never see that level of charity from a celebrity again.
The following 9 users liked this post by Decker:
Giantrobo (07-02-21), Goonies85 (07-02-21), IBJoel (07-02-21), Jaymole (07-05-21), John Pannozzi (07-02-21), MR Round (07-01-21), OldBoy (07-01-21), PhantomStranger (07-01-21), story (07-02-21) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-02-21, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Jamie Gertz is married to the billionaire who owns the Washington Wizards. He's worth $5B.
​​​​​
Ted Leonsis wishes.
Old 07-02-21, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
​​​​​
Correction. Gertz’s husband Tony Ressler is the controlling owner of the Hawks.
Old 07-02-21, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

The actor who does the most for Hollywood and society is the one who makes the best movies. Right now I can't think of anyone who fits that bill who's still alive. 40-odd years ago I might have said John Wayne, even though he was making some pretty bad ones toward the end of his life.
Old 07-02-21, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 374 Likes on 272 Posts

Sean Penn arguably does quite a lot for society. Not a huge fan of him but he certainly puts a lot of effort in.
Old 07-02-21, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg have done a lot for WWII vets and Holocaust survivors.

Spielberg founded the Shoah Foundation and I believe they were both instrumental in the creation of the World War II memorial in Washington DC.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (07-02-21)
Old 07-02-21, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts

Before I clicked on the thread and saw it was talking about charity, the answer that popped into my head was Tom Hanks.

He does the most for Hollywood by being an example of how someone can achieve the greatest fame and success possible, and still be a genuinely good person.

He does the most for American society by investing his energy and fame into projects that uplift us. I can't think of another actor whose body of work (as both an actor and producer) consistently leaves me feeling proud to be an American, the way Hanks' does.
Old 07-02-21, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Tyler Perry. I don't like a lot of his movies, but he's a genuinely nice guy who gives back a lot.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shannon Nutt:
Giantrobo (07-02-21), story (07-02-21)
Old 07-02-21, 11:50 AM

Received 1,832 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Tyler Perry, Oprah Winfrey, and Byron Allen are three Black entertainment producers that constantly platform young up and comers especially young people of color, are active, good philanthropic role models, and built media empires that consistently put people first. All were outsiders who made their own rules in the system and this will have lasting impact in the industry.

BTW, I think most here likely know the exploits of Perry and Winfrey, but I have to say Byron Allen is amazing. Started standup at 14, was in the writer's room for Jimmy Walker as a teenager (with Jay Leno and David Letterman) and on the Tonight Show by 18, at 32 founded Entertainment Studios, which now owns The Weather Channel, The Grio, Bally's Sports, partial owner of Fox Sports Network, plus owns other channels and network affiliate stations. Produces a ton of low-cost production shows to get people's foot in the door, personally hosts comedy shows to showcase up-and-comer comedians like he was, and holds high-profile fundraisers for Children's Hospital because it saved his life when he was a boy and they never sent his mom a bill. He's committed to raising $50 million over ten years. Like Tyler Perry and Oprah Winfrey, he does things his own way and it pays out for him but he also really looks out for his people. Great guy.
The following 3 users liked this post by story:
Giantrobo (07-02-21), IBJoel (07-02-21), Kurt D (07-02-21)
Old 07-02-21, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Tyler Perry. ... he's a genuinely nice guy who gives back a lot.
Yep. Charity...And he puts LOTS of people to work and gives many opportunities to be in the biz. He was a Homeless man and now he's a Powerful BILLIONAIRE who gives back a lot.
Old 07-02-21, 12:07 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg have done a lot for WWII vets and Holocaust survivors.

Spielberg founded the Shoah Foundation and I believe they were both instrumental in the creation of the World War II memorial in Washington DC.
Gary Sinise also does a lot of stuff for vets and first responders.
The following 3 users liked this post by TheBigDave:
GoldenJCJ (07-02-21), IBJoel (07-02-21), The Cow (07-02-21)
Old 07-02-21, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

Jane Fonda and Daryl Hannah have spent most of their adult lives giving back and fighting for justice.
Old 07-02-21, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts

If we're mentioning Paul Newman we have to throw Danny Thomas and Jerry Lewis in there.
The following users liked this post:
story (07-02-21)
Old 07-03-21, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Old 07-03-21, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by William Fuld
If we're mentioning Paul Newman we have to throw Danny Thomas and Jerry Lewis in there.
Danny Thomas is a good one.
Old 07-03-21, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Me, by watching their crappy movies.