DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Old Guard II (D: Mahoney) - S: Theron (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/653278-old-guard-ii-d-mahoney-s-theron.html)

devilshalo 07-01-21 01:16 PM

The Old Guard II (D: Mahoney) - S: Theron

Charlize Theron Says ‘Old Guard’ Sequel Script Complete, Filming to Begin Early Next Year (EXCLUSIVE)

By Marc Malkin

It’s official! Charlize Theron tells me that the script is done for the sequel to “The Old Guard,” her Netflix film adaptation of the graphic novel of the same name. Cameras will start rolling in the first quarter of 2022. The gay couple, played by Marwan Kenzari and Luca Marinelli, will be back, too. “Oh, yeah!” Theron says. “They’re definitely there.”
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Let’s go to work. <a href="https://t.co/N5em8Moq3c">https://t.co/N5em8Moq3c</a></p>&mdash; Charlize Theron (@CharlizeAfrica) <a href="https://twitter.com/CharlizeAfrica/status/1410434516280221696?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 1, 2021</a></blockquote>

jpcamb 07-01-21 02:58 PM

re: The Old Guard II (D: Mahoney) - S: Theron

First one was a lot of fun. Looking forward to the next installment.

dex14 08-26-21 12:16 PM

re: The Old Guard II (D: Mahoney) - S: Theron

EXCLUSIVE: A year after becoming one of Netflix’s most popular original films to date, the sequel to The Old Guard is gearing up quickly as Netflix and Skydance zero in on a next director to take the helm. Sources tell Deadline that Victoria Mahoney has come on to direct The Old Guard 2, with stars Charlize Theron, KiKi Layne, Matthias Schoenaerts, Marwan Kenzari, Luca Marinelli, Veronica Ngo and Chiwetel Ejiofor returning to reprise their roles.

Mahoney steps in for Gina Prince-Bythewood, who directed the first but decided to not come back to helm the sequel as the success of the first film has led to several news jobs including Sony’s The Woman King starring Viola Davis and Thuso Mbedu.

“I love The Old Guard and the story and characters I was honored to put into the world. It was exciting to disrupt the genre,” said Prince-Bythewood. “I have decided not to direct the sequel, but will stay on as a producer. I leave our franchise in good hands as my girl Vic Mahoney takes on this next chapter.”

Mahoney has become one of the more in-demand directors after becoming second unit director on J.J. Abrams’ Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, making her the first woman and first Black woman to direct a Star Wars film. Mahoney had a number of projects she was considering, but the opportunity to direct the Netflix film was too good to pass up.

“Genuinely blown backwards by the collective levels of talent, skill and savvy that went into carving The Old Guard,” Mahoney said. “I must’ve watched it over a hundred times, and as such, cannot communicate the true measure of my excitement–being invited on The Old Guard journey alongside ferocious badasses. Ever eager to continue pushing the genre for action-loving audiences. Warmly tipping my hat to the world Gina, Charlize, Rucka, Fernández, Skydance, Netflix, Marc Evans Productions, Denver & Delilah Films and the entire Team daringly put forward.”

Greg Rucka and Leandro Fernández graphic novel series, the original pic followed a covert team of immortal mercenaries who are suddenly exposed and must now fight to keep their identity a secret just as an unexpected new member is discovered. The original is one of Netflix’s most popular films to date and was seen by 78M households in its first four weeks.

Rucka will pen the sequel with David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Don Granger producing for Skydance; Theron, Beth Kono and AJ Dix producing for Denver and Delilah and Marc Evans producing for Marc Evans Productions. Prince-Bythewood will also produce. Rucka will exec produce.

“We are beyond thrilled that Vic is joining The Old Guard team,” said Theron, Kono and Dix. “Her passion for these characters and her ambitious vision for the movie overwhelmed us all. We are grateful for the opportunity to work with her.”

The sequel also marks a major milestone for Skydance as it is now the only studio to supply Amazon, Netflix and Apple with tentpole franchises and signature content. With the success of The Old Guard (Netflix) and The Tomorrow War and Without Remorse (Amazon Prime Video), in 2021 alone Skydance delivered top franchises at two different streamers with a Tomorrow War sequel already in development.

Mahoney is repped by CAA and Nina Shaw of Del Shaw Moonves Tanaka Finkelstein & Lezcano.
http://dlvr.it/S6NTNc?fbclid=IwAR13M...893Rx5Z3DAF2t8

TomOpus 08-27-21 05:48 PM

Re: The Old Guard II (D: Mahoney) - S: Theron

I never saw the first one (at least I don't think I did). I see it's still on the 'Flix. Was it that good?

GoldenJCJ 08-27-21 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 13976293)
I never saw the first one (at least I don't think I did). I see it's still on the 'Flix. Was it that good?

It’s got some good concepts and not so good concepts. Some parts work and some parts don’t really work but Charlize makes it worthy of a watch alone.

It’s been awhile since I saw the first but I seem to remember the filmmakers painting themselves into a corner with the plot resolution as far as a sequel would go. I can’t quite remember though.

TomOpus 08-27-21 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13976297)
It’s got some good concepts and not so good concepts. Some parts work and some parts don’t really work but Charlize makes it worthy of a watch alone.

It’s been awhile since I saw the first but I seem to remember the filmmakers painting themselves into a corner with the plot resolution as far as a sequel would go. I can’t quite remember though.

Hmmm. I'll watch it a little before football starts.

eta: now that I started to watch, I think I did see it. I'll have to look for a thread.
eta2: I didn't post in that thread but I found this quote:

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 13772125)
Decent film. Cool action, but slow burn with the character development. But I understand it’s necessary.

Nice setup for a sequel.

Superman07 08-27-21 09:34 PM

How did I not know this was getting a sequel?!

I really enjoyed the first one. I agree it had some kinks, but overall good concept and good story. The teaser at the end left a lot to be wanting, so it’ll be interesting to see where they go.

Id like to see a little more Highlander, in that we get more substantive time in the past.

Koby 08-30-21 07:59 AM

Really enjoyed the first one...looking forward to the sequel.

dex14 06-10-22 06:34 PM

devilshalo 06-13-22 04:55 AM

Mary Embry v Jenny Johnson? :eek:

DJariya 06-22-22 01:48 PM

csant 06-22-22 01:55 PM

I hope this one is as entertaining as the first one.

Draven 06-22-22 02:15 PM

I just rewatched the first one this week - hadn't seen it since it first came out. It's really great - the team is a ton of fun and I'm ready for more adventures.