DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Eyes of Tammy Faye (2021, D: Showalter) -- Jessica Chastain, Andrew Garfield (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/653155-eyes-tammy-faye-2021-d-showalter-jessica-chastain-andrew-garfield.html)

DJariya 06-09-21 02:52 PM

The Eyes of Tammy Faye (2021, D: Showalter) -- Jessica Chastain, Andrew Garfield

THE EYES OF TAMMY FAYE is an intimate look at the extraordinary rise, fall and redemption of televangelist Tammy Faye Bakker. In the 1970s and 80s, Tammy Faye and her husband, Jim Bakker, rose from humble beginnings to create the world’s largest religious broadcasting network and theme park, and were revered for their message of love, acceptance and prosperity. Tammy Faye was legendary for her indelible eyelashes, her idiosyncratic singing, and her eagerness to embrace people from all walks of life. However, it wasn’t long before financial improprieties, scheming rivals, and scandal toppled their carefully constructed empire.

Directed by: Michael Showalter Written by: Abe Sylvia Produced by: Jessica Chastain, p.g.a., Kelly Carmichael, p.g.a., Rachel Shane, p.g.a., Gigi Pritzker

Cast: Jessica Chastain, Andrew Garfield, Cherry Jones, Fredric Lehne, Louis Cancelmi, Sam Jaeger, Gabriel Olds, Mark Wystrach, and Vincent D’Onofrio

Comes out September 17th in theatres

Decker 06-09-21 03:03 PM

Re: The Eyes of Tammy Faye (2021, D: Showalter) -- Jessica Chastain, Andrew Garfield

Either Jessica Hahn is horribly miscast here, or she's not figuring into this story much. The only other woman listed there in the cast is Cherry Jones.

DJariya 06-09-21 03:10 PM

Re: The Eyes of Tammy Faye (2021, D: Showalter) -- Jessica Chastain, Andrew Garfield

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13943687)
Either Jessica Hahn is horribly miscast here, or she's not figuring into this story much. The only other woman listed there in the cast is Cherry Jones.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9115530...=tt_cl_sm#cast

No one is credited on the IMDB page as Jessica Hahn. So yeah she probably has virtually no role in this telling of the story.

dex14 06-09-21 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13943687)

Huh?

GoldenJCJ 06-10-21 07:44 AM

As much as I love Jessica Chastain, I’m not sure I have much interest in Jim and Tammy Faye’s story.

I also find it odd that they chose to use the same exact title as the documentary from 20 years ago. I was confused for a minute, knowing that I had heard the title of this movie before but also knowing that it was a brand new movie.

jpcamb 06-10-21 09:40 AM

As much as I love Chastain this sounds like a hard pass for me. If I hear it is brilliant I may watch it on HBO down the road but I can not see myself paying to see this story and her films are hit or miss lately.

Groucho 06-10-21 10:39 AM

The makeup is pretty bad and Garfield seems miscast. It's an interesting story but doesn't look good.

Decker 06-10-21 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 13943987)
The makeup is pretty bad.

Based on the subject matter, that seems appropriate.

Hazel Motes 06-10-21 01:43 PM

Looks kind of I,Tonya ish.

IBJoel 06-10-21 02:53 PM

Burying the lede here: Directed by Michael Showalter?!

Dr. DVD 06-10-21 06:45 PM

I like Jessica Chastain, think she's a good actress, and quite lovely. That said, she really comes across as "please give me an Oscar" when she does movies of this nature.

William Fuld 06-10-21 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13943921)
I also find it odd that they chose to use the same exact title as the documentary from 20 years ago. I was confused for a minute, knowing that I had heard the title of this movie before but also knowing that it was a brand new movie.

The documentary is excellent. It humanized Tammy Faye, as did the season of The Surreal Life she did with Ron Jeremy.

clckworang 06-10-21 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 13944082)
Burying the lede here: Directed by Michael Showalter?!

I noticed that, too, and did a bit of a double take.

Originally Posted by William Fuld (Post 13944208)
The documentary is excellent. It humanized Tammy Faye, as did the season of The Surreal Life she did with Ron Jeremy.

I was just going to say the same thing. The documentary is well worth a watch even if you don't think you have any interest in the subject matter.

Based on that, I can see why Chastain was attracted to the project, but it could easily be a Mommie Dearest moment for her. This made me remember Jan Hooks playing Tammy Faye on an SNL sketch. She was hilarious, but I don't think I'd want to watch a whole movie of that. The tone will need to be just right.

Daytripper 06-11-21 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 13943987)
The makeup is pretty bad and Garfield seems miscast. It's an interesting story but doesn't look good.

Originally Posted by jpcamb (Post 13943947)
As much as I love Chastain this sounds like a hard pass for me. If I hear it is brilliant I may watch it on HBO down the road but I can not see myself paying to see this story and her films are hit or miss lately.

I love Chastain too. But she looks and sounds nothing like Tammy Faye in this. And Garfield is even more miscast as Jim Bakker.

JackoOnHisBacko 06-11-21 08:05 AM

I have a big crush on Jessica, and really don't want to see her dressed up as Tammy Faye.

devilshalo 06-11-21 06:10 PM

I didn't know that was Chastain.. I thought it was Lily James. :eek:

d2cheer 06-12-21 10:09 AM

Who would pay to see this? Lifetime movie.

dex14 09-13-21 07:23 AM

Opens this week.

Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the...ammy_faye_2021

Dr. DVD 09-13-21 12:40 PM

Doubt I will see this one. I always found Tammy Faye to look "unnatural" and don't care to repeat those creepy feelings.

GoldenJCJ 09-13-21 04:41 PM

I’m a big fan of Jessica Chastain but I’ll probably pass on this. Watching Tammy Faye as a sympathetic character doesn’t interest me at all.

DJariya 09-13-21 04:46 PM

Normally I would see pretty much anything with Jessica Chastain. But, Tammy Faye's wacky story doesn't interest me at all. I'm also going to pass on this. I'd rather watch her in Scenes from a Marriage on HBO instead.

TomOpus 09-14-21 10:23 AM

I guess I'm the only one seeing this. It's not a world I know a lot about. I hope Jessica (and Andrew) go all-out over-the-top. That's how I viewed the real couple. Oscar-bait? Sure, why not. I just want to be entertained.

dex14 09-14-21 10:34 AM

I feel bad for Garfield. Poor guy has two movies coming out before the next Spider-Man movie. He’s going to be in the line of fire for a constant barrage of questioning.

jpcamb 09-14-21 10:35 AM

It would take amazing word of mouth to get me to watch this movie and I am normally all in for anything with Jessica. The subject matter is quite offputting.

TomOpus 09-17-21 06:49 PM

Watched the documentary yesterday, so it was fresh in my mind when I saw this today.

For a lot of this movie, it did follow the doc pretty close. Nothing about the daughter nor was Jessica Hahn's name mentioned. As expected, this is Chastain's movie. She was Tammy. But, as good as she is, I really liked Cherry Jones as Tammy's mom. Her attempts to keep Tammy grounded in tradition were funny. Much like the docu, Chastain paints Tammy in a positive light. And her singing voice is spot-on. She was a woman of deep faith, so there's a lot of scripture talk.

The audience was the largest I've seen at the theater since the pandemic started: a whole 14 people.

The movie ends, as a lot of bios do, with showing the actor with shots of the real person with a blurb about what happened to them.