Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Quiet Place Part II (2021, D: Krasinski) -- S: Blunt -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of A Quiet Place Part 2?
5 stars
5.41%
4 1/2 stars
18.92%
4 stars
45.95%
3 1/2 stars
13.51%
3 stars
13.51%
2 1/2 stars
2.70%
2 stars
0%
1 1/2 stars
0%
1 star
0%
0 stars
0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

A Quiet Place Part II (2021, D: Krasinski) -- S: Blunt -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 07-14-21, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 574 Posts
Re: A Quiet Place Part II (2021, D: Krasinski) -- S: Blunt -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I think while the movie is effective in many places it just ultimately feels like a mostly insubstantial connection between movies 1 and 3. Or more specifically, a little too episodic. It offered nothing new, just more.

Still good though. Also watching it without the right sound system will hamper it.
Old 07-15-21, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 451 Likes on 314 Posts
Re: A Quiet Place Part II (2021, D: Krasinski) -- S: Blunt -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Why the hell did Jack Ryan pick up an entire bag of oranges and a gallon of water to go to a Little League game? Then he whips out a knife in the stands to cut the orange? What the hell?
I assumed he was responsible for getting oranges and water were for his son's team. Normally they have someone do that for kids soccer teams - give them drinks and a little something to ensure they have enough energy to play the second half of the game. Never seen it with baseball though since they're not exactly doing a lot of running.

I thought this was kinda meh. It didn't really offer anything new from the first movie.

I'm not sure if these creatures are smart or not. They accidentally wind up getting on a boat and then just drift to the island. Is this something they could've done all along, or are they not intelligent enough? Or maybe they didn't know about islands?

The premise of them not being able to swim just made me think of the dumb premise of M. Night's Signs.

Do we have any idea why they travelled or were transported to earth? Did they come to earth for the resources or just to kill everyone? I figured we'd have a little more knowledge about them after the 2nd movie, but we got nothing.

Old 07-15-21, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 106 Likes on 96 Posts

Watched this last night on Prime and quite enjoyed it. I'm glad Krasinski changed things up by showing the Day 1 flashback and also found plausible reasons for the characters to go outside their safe areas. I guess no apocalyptic vision of the world is complete without average-people-turned-evil popping up to threaten your life and help unburden you of anything of value you might be carrying.

One of the things that this sequel clarified (for me, at least) was Regan's hearing aid. The first film introduced that element so late that it wasn't entirely clear if any loud noise would incapicitate/kill the Death Angels, especially since they apparently stayed away from the waterfall. The sequel makes a pretty big deal of the sound that the hearing aid emits so I guess that settles that.

On the Prime version, subtitles came on every time the Abbotts used sign language, but they weren't the 'burnt in' type but rather switchable subs that the stream forced on if you didn't already have closed captioning turned on. For those of you who were lucky enough to see this movie theatrically, were there on-screen subs for the signed parts of the dialogue?
Old 07-15-21, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Do we have any idea why they travelled or were transported to earth? Did they come to earth for the resources or just to kill everyone? I figured we'd have a little more knowledge about them after the 2nd movie, but we got nothing.
This is what JK told Collider:

https://collider.com/a-quiet-place-monsters-explained/

They are absolutely aliens. They’re from another planet. Where I developed the idea of them and what I wanted them to look like was most alien movies are about takeovers, agendas, they’re a thinking alien creature, and for me this idea of a predator, this idea of a parasite, this idea of something that is introduced into an ecosystem [was interesting]. One of my favorite movies I love to watch is RocknRolla and they tell that whole story about the crawfish in the Thames and that’s what I mean, the introduction of something that can’t be held back.

The idea behind all that is they’re definitely aliens and they’re an evolutionarily perfect machine. So the idea is if they grew up on a planet that had no humans and no light then they don’t need eyes, they can only hunt by sound. They also develop a way to protect themselves from everything else so that’s why they’re bulletproof and all these things. I had to make it make sense. I needed the rules of the monster to adhere as tightly to the rules of the family. The family, we had set up all these incredible rules, and I needed the monster to not just be convenient.

And the other idea was [the armor is] also the reason why they were able to survive kind of the explosion of their planet and then survive on these meteorites, because they’ve evolved to be bulletproof. Until they open themselves up to be vulnerable, they’re completely invulnerable.
Old 07-15-21, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,157 Likes on 1,587 Posts

It's been almost 2 months since I saw it in the theatre, but if I recall correctly there were burnt in subtitles for the sign language dialogue.
Old 07-15-21, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
It's been almost 2 months since I saw it in the theatre, but if I recall correctly there were burnt in subtitles for the sign language dialogue.
Thanks...that makes sense. I have friends who found online copies of the film and complained that there was no subtitling for the ASL parts. You get what you pay for, I suppose.
Old 07-16-21, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 683 Posts
Re: A Quiet Place Part II: Die Quieter (2021, D: Krasinski) - S: Blunt

Saw this last night. Enjoyed it but the ending was fuckin' Meh. Downright, "Is that it?!" And why did they cast and then kill a certain actor? That role could've gone to a lesser known actor. But maybe they wanted this reaction from folks so...well played?

Anyway, part 3 needs to be a full on action film where Humans are really figuring this out and rising up to take these fuckers out around the world. That would be a great ending for the franchise
Old 07-16-21, 11:59 AM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,211 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
And why did they cast and then kill a certain actor? That role could've gone to a lesser known actor. But maybe they wanted this reaction from folks so...well played?
Brian Tyree Henry was originally cast in that role and dropped out last minute.
Old 07-16-21, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Brian Tyree Henry was originally cast in that role and dropped out last minute.
Spoiler:
I'm talking about Djimon Hounsou's role on the island. Was Brian gonna play his character?

Old 07-16-21, 12:21 PM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,211 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Spoiler:
I'm talking about Djimon Hounsou's role on the island. Was Brian gonna play his character?

Yes.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (07-16-21)
Old 07-18-21, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

Just watched this and felt pretty much the same about it as I did the first movie. Solid direction and excellent acting in really well-crafted suspenseful scenes with cool looking monsters that are so stupidly conceived that I spent the whole movie thinking things like ‘why aren’t they attacking those crickets and frogs?’, ‘why don’t they attack the trees when the wind blows through them?’ and ‘how do they know to jump through windows?’ Seriously, I feel like Krasinski and the other writers put tons of thought into the aliens, but all of it’s built on an idiotic central conceit that none of them gave a moment’s consideration.
Old 07-19-21, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 645 Likes on 399 Posts

^I agree with much of that. The monsters really don't make any sense, but the direction, acting, and writing (nonsensical aliens aside) are good enough that I still enjoy both of these movies.
Old 07-19-21, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 182 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
Just watched this and felt pretty much the same about it as I did the first movie. Solid direction and excellent acting in really well-crafted suspenseful scenes with cool looking monsters that are so stupidly conceived that I spent the whole movie thinking things like ‘why aren’t they attacking those crickets and frogs?’, ‘why don’t they attack the trees when the wind blows through them?’
My explanation for this would be that the creatures have learned to ignore certain sounds because they've come to realize that those sounds are inconsequential. As humans, we hear lots of sounds every day, but we largely ignore them because we've come to learn that most of them aren't important. However, when we hear a certain sound (a siren, a scream, etc) we suddenly perk up because we know that sound has significant meaning to it. In the same way, the creatures have learned to pinpoint which sounds are likely to emanate from human prey and also to ignore other sounds which they deem unimportant. So, maybe the creatures did attack rustling trees at some stage in their lives, but then soon realized how pointless it was and stopped doing it.
Old 07-19-21, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Walking around in the dark, you can usually tell the difference between a big creature and one you can ignore. Generally at least.

Curious how they got there though, they don't seem like the kind that'd discover space travel.
Old 07-20-21, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 150 Posts

^ Somehow it will be tied to the Alien franchise...

Old 07-30-21, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I think while the movie is effective in many places it just ultimately feels like a mostly insubstantial connection between movies 1 and 3. Or more specifically, a little too episodic. It offered nothing new, just more.

Still good though. Also watching it without the right sound system will hamper it.
This is how I feel. The movie is very pointless. I wish they had done more with Krasinski. The prelude was great but maybe have a parallel story to go along with the main story.
Old 08-01-21, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Good, not great, follow up. Some good suspense-filled scenes and solid emotive performances since there's not a whole lot of dialogue. The first one was better as a whole but this is a worthwhile sequel, simplistic which is a plus, no unnecessary drama on the human side. Don't know if I'll revisit it anytime soon but as a one-off viewing, it works well enough. ***½/*****
Old 08-08-21, 05:54 PM

Received 1,221 Likes on 725 Posts

I'm just starting to dip my toes back into the water as a theatergoer, looks like it's out of the theaters in my area now, bummer.
Old 08-09-21, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by story View Post
I'm just starting to dip my toes back into the water as a theatergoer, looks like it's out of the theaters in my area now, bummer.
Ironically, it was probably safer to go to the theater when this first came out than now.
Old 08-09-21, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 524 Likes on 255 Posts

It's on Paramount+. You can probably get a free trial if you haven't signed up before.

It's also available for rent or buy on a number of services, including Amazon Prime Video.

It's also on Blu-ray already.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 08-10-21 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-09-21, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,157 Likes on 1,587 Posts

You can just go to your local Redbox and rent the DVD or BD right now as well.

Old 08-09-21, 03:19 PM

Received 1,221 Likes on 725 Posts

True, all of that, and that will do, of course.

I'll never forget seeing the first one, spoiler-free, during a late show at a second-run theater, just me and two other people in the theater. When it was over, we all had to laugh a bit at each other for how much we jumped or yelped or gasped. I kinda-sorta wanted that again. But it's okay.
Old 08-10-21, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Or if you're in the US, you can just hop on a Paramount+ free trial and stream it.
Old 08-10-21, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 524 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Or if you're in the US, you can just hop on a Paramount+ free trial and stream it.
Or you can just read the post 3 posts above yours where I said just that.
Old 08-10-21, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm blind

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.