DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Ice Road (2021, D: Hensleigh) S: Liam Neeson, Laurence Fishburne - Netflix (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/653031-ice-road-2021-d-hensleigh-s-liam-neeson-laurence-fishburne-netflix.html)

dex14 05-19-21 05:53 AM

The Ice Road (2021, D: Hensleigh) S: Liam Neeson, Laurence Fishburne - Netflix

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...a0bd77383f.jpg

After the collapse of a diamond mine in northern Canada, ice road truckers (Liam Neeson and Laurence Fishburne) race against the clock, before the ice thaws and the miners are trapped. Will they make it in time and intact?

JeffTheAlpaca 05-19-21 08:05 PM

Re: The Ice Road (2021, D: Hensleigh) S: Liam Neeson, Laurence Fishburne - Netflix

Wish this came out earlier and will not be that much fun with the weather getting warmer.

GoldenJCJ 05-19-21 08:52 PM

Re: The Ice Road (2021, D: Hensleigh) S: Liam Neeson, Laurence Fishburne - Netflix

So this is a different movie than the one where he drove a snowplow? I look forward to his next movie where he drives an Arctic Cat through the snow to save, I don’t know, his wife or something...

mickey65 05-20-21 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13935765)
So this is a different movie than the one where he drove a snowplow? I look forward to his next movie where he drives an Arctic Cat through the snow to save, I don’t know, his wife or something...

Cold Pursuit. Out to revenge the death of his son.

Why So Blu? 05-20-21 12:12 PM

Cold Pursuit is pretty good. Dark as fuck black comedy, too.

DJariya 05-22-21 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13935753)
Wish this came out earlier and will not be that much fun with the weather getting warmer.

:lol: What difference does it make when a movie comes out with when it takes place? So Netflix should have held this until Christmas?

I noticed this movie is directed by Jonathan Hensleigh, who wrote Armageddon, Die Hard with a Vengeance and directed The Punisher. I looked at his IMDB and he hasn't done much at all in the last decade. He must be living off his wife's salary (Gale Anne Hurd, the EP of the Walking Dead shows)

It looks alright and pretty typical for what Neeson makes these days.

Why So Blu? 05-22-21 01:24 PM

The soundtrack to this is also getting a big push. Rob Zombie, Nikki Sixx, John 5 and Tommy Clufetos have a supergroup going and a song on it.

mickey65 05-22-21 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13936009)
Cold Pursuit is pretty good. Dark as fuck black comedy, too.

I just watched it a couple of weeks ago. I agree! I really love Liam's action movies tho.

Troy Stiffler 05-22-21 05:37 PM

I like movies like this. It's refreshing to watch an action-adventure sometimes that doesn't base itself around dudes shooting and fist fighting.

dex14 06-25-21 05:15 AM

This is out today.
Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_ice_road

DJariya 06-26-21 02:52 AM

I just finished it. I did not care for this movie at all. Boring, by the numbers and very forgettable. Fishburne has a very small part in this.

Even the truck action sequences are boring. D+ skip it. Neeson needs to retire from action movies. I can see why this was sold as a streaming movie.

TheBigDave 06-26-21 04:50 AM

Meh. Not bad for a Netflix movie. But if I paid to watch it in a theater, I'd be really disappointed. The action wasn't exciting. Some of the CGI looked like cheap SyFy Channel effects. And there was lots of ridiculous stuff, like the indestructible villain. I wish it was better. But it was just blah.

dex14 06-26-21 05:09 AM

Another lame Neeson movie.

DJariya 06-26-21 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 13950060)
Meh. Not bad for a Netflix movie. But if I paid to watch it in a theater, I'd be really disappointed.

I don't believe in this kind of review/justification. A bad movie is a bad movie and a good movie is a good movie regardless of how it was delivered.. This seems to imply because you valued it a little more because you didn't actually have to pay to see it, which doesn't really make sense. If Honest Thief was a Prime Video exclusive, would that make more people like it more because they didn't have to pay money to see it? Of course not.

Jonathan Hensleigh, who wrote and directed this is not a good filmmaker. That's why he hasn't been hired to do any major studio work in many years.

RichC2 06-26-21 02:01 PM

Anymore it's either worth the time or it's not.

Why So Blu? 06-26-21 02:35 PM

A friend of mine saw this and said it sucked. Out of Neeson's last three pics, Honest Thief, The Marksman, and Ice Road, Honest Thief is the better film.

Also, as far as Jonathan Hensleigh being a bad filmmaker, etc., I think he's still married to Gale Ann Hurd, so he doesn't really need to do anything. He's living large.

DJariya 06-26-21 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13950176)
A friend of mine saw this and said it sucked. Out of Neeson's last three pics, Honest Thief, The Marksman, and Ice Road, Honest Thief is the better film.

Also, as far as Jonathan Hensleigh being a bad filmmaker, etc., I think he's still married to Gale Ann Hurd, so he doesn't really need to do anything. He's living large.

Yeah I said that earlier in this thread. His wife is making bank off Walking Dead residuals as it's EP. He doesn't really need to work. But as I said, he hasn't made anything good or notable in years.

And this is definitely the worst movie of Neeson's recent output.

GoldenJCJ 06-26-21 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13950144)
I don't believe in this kind of review/justification. A bad movie is a bad movie and a good movie is a good movie regardless of how it was delivered.. This seems to imply because you valued it a little more because you didn't actually have to pay to see it, which doesn't really make sense. If Honest Thief was a Prime Video exclusive, would that make more people like it more because they didn't have to pay money to see it? Of course not.

While I think your reasoning is sound and I can’t really argue with your logic (I agree a bad movie is a bad movie) but something can be said for the time, effort, and money put into seeing a movie. If I plan for an evening out, pay for a babysitter, take the time to drive to the theater, pay $20+ for two tickets and another 20+ for drinks and popcorn. It’s going to effect my enjoyment of the movie on a different level than if I just happen to flip by the same movie for free while flopped on my couch at home.

For me personally, I put a lot more stock and consideration into what movies I’m going to see at the theater than those I’ll stop to watch while channel surfing.

I’ll take my chances on A LOT more shitty movies at home than I will at the theater. Sometimes while taking those chances I’ll stumble upon something that surprises me.

I felt that way about Neeson’s The Honest Thief. Streamed it rather than seeing it in the theater and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t terrible. That doesn’t mean it was good enough to warrant a trip to the theater. All personal opinion, of course.

Now, all that being said, you and I probably don’t differ much on this. A shitty movie is a shitty movie but our level enjoyment of that movie depends on the amount of time, effort, and money spent to see it.

Koby 06-27-21 12:51 AM

It wasn't terrible, but wasn't outright good either. Decent enough time killer though and I don't feel like it was wasted time. Much preferred spending time watching this versus the time wasted on Pixar's Luca.

Runaway 06-28-21 02:39 AM

I watched The Ice Road and The Marksman on the weekend and while we aren't in Bruce Willis territory, Neeson's movies have declined from enjoyable to watchable. I'm really hoping he makes true on his promise and stops making those movies.

Giantrobo 06-28-21 11:46 AM

Saw it. It was ok. Wife fell asleep on it. I finished it but if i'm honest, I kinda lost interest when they got rid of one enthusiastic interesting character early on so Liam could be the Wooden Hero. :(

Off topic, I'd love to see Liam and Harrison Ford do a film together. :lol: Just 2 guys grumbling their barely audible lines...Oh wait, I forgot about K19 Widowmaker. :lol: Love that film.

MrX 06-28-21 12:04 PM

I watched it the other night and was bored.

I did crack up at

Spoiler:
When the truck slid back and crushed the brother against the gate, how she only moved it a few feet and stopped it again. I was hoping it would slide again and crush both of them so the movie would be over

JeffTheAlpaca 07-04-21 07:17 PM

The Marksmen was better.

The girl looked like a dead ringer for Aubrey Plaza.

I wish Neeson would do more dramas since he has done great work in that genre too which people forget.

Runaway 07-05-21 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13953460)
The Marksmen was better.

I wish Neeson would do more dramas since he has done great work in that genre too which people forget.

I guess 'Marlowe' will be his next serious movie, but there are a couple of action thrillers to come before that. Liam Neeson will evenantually go back to more dramatic movies, but it's not where he earns his money. 'Mark Felt' is a way better movie than most of his action movies, buth nobody watched Mark Felt.

Troy Stiffler 07-05-21 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13953460)

You should see her and Aubrey on Legion. I didn't realize they were two actresses for almost the whole season. I thought she was playing both sides in some alternate makeup. Plus the show was so dense I'm always lost anyways.