DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Sparks Brothers (2021, D: Edgar Wright) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/653002-sparks-brothers-2021-d-edgar-wright.html)

Daytripper 05-14-21 11:20 PM

The Sparks Brothers (2021, D: Edgar Wright)

This looks fantastic!

Toddarino 05-15-21 09:45 AM

Re: The Sparks Brothers (2021, D: Edgar Wright)

It was really good. I got to see it a few months ago at Sundance.

Alan Smithee 05-18-21 03:07 PM

Criminally underappreciated group. I first heard of them in the 80s when they were doing new wave, but was surprised when they put out their 2-disc compilation in 1991 that they started in 1972. I bought their very first album (in fact I ended up getting CDs with both the original Halfnelson title and another as Sparks) and it's truly ahead of its time.

Jaymole 05-19-21 03:15 AM

I definitely want to see this.

When I was a kid, I went to visit my relatives in 1974 and I remember "This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both of Us" as one of the songs always playing on the radio. They were always much bigger in Europe than the US but in the 80's I would hear them on the New Wave station WLIR here in NY.

Jack Straw 06-20-21 04:16 PM

I caught these guys open up for Van Halen (pre-debut) in '76 when they were their guitar focused band before all the synths that came later. I love their catchy short and fast songs that grab with an interesting hook and then move on. Kimono My House and Propaganda are my faves. Have not idea how Russell's androgynous singing reaches those high notes. Gotta give these guys credit for their staying power. No drug downfalls or manager theft stories to tell. Gotta think this won't be long in the theaters so I will definitely watch this when it comes around on cable. I understand it clocks in at 2hr 20mins, but has gotten great reviews from those who have actually seen it, usually knowing little or nothing about the band walking in.

Jason Bovberg 06-21-21 11:16 AM

Saw this at my local cineplex, was shocked to see it come to town--not at our indie theater but our biggest, most commercial theater. I went to a matinee Saturday morning, and the box office person told me I was the first person to buy a ticket for it. Including all Friday showings.

This is a great documentary, very energetic and fun.

d2cheer 06-21-21 11:33 AM

I wonder what streaming service will eventually get this? I want to see it but this isn't something that I would see in the theater.

Alan Smithee 08-24-21 02:36 PM

Disc comes out 9/28- my birthday!

dex14 10-28-21 09:24 PM

This is up on Netflix.

d2cheer 10-29-21 10:05 AM

Cool will check it out.

[email protected] 10-29-21 07:59 PM

This was quite good - it made me care about a band that I didn't really care about previously. I only knew a couple songs ("Cool Places" and "I Predict"). And, like many it seems, I always thought they were British! At 2h15m, I thought it would be too long, but it was actually paced quite well, and moved right along. There was a lot of history to cover!

OldBoy 10-29-21 08:10 PM

Is it anything like the movie Anvil, about the band that could have been?

The Antipodean 10-29-21 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 14004834)
Is it anything like the movie Anvil, about the band that could have been?

No, but it definitely means the end of the MCU.

OldBoy 10-29-21 09:35 PM

Never…gets…old!

Paff 01-11-22 12:43 PM

Finally saw this over the weekend and really dug it. The running time is interesting, as it's indeed long but only because it covers the entire career and not just the highlights and better selling records. The career lows are there as well. And there's no filler, like extended clips of performances (which I kinda wanted to see, actually). I think the only time it's drawn out is like the last 10-15 minutes where it shows the duo's daily life now (the gym, coffee shops, work in the home studio), that could have been trimmed a bit.

What really threw me for a loop is their recent 21-day series of concerts in England, where each night they played a different album in its entirety. Just relearning those songs for a one-time only performance had to be brutal.

Decker 01-11-22 12:50 PM

Yeah, it was a fun doc on a band I was barely aware of. Very entertaining and informative.
Like most, I never knew they were Americans.

Paff 01-11-22 08:38 PM

I also liked that Edgar Wright had some fun with the titles of the people that were being interviewed, more than just the usual "Bobbie Flekman - Polymer Records". For some of the people who were fans of one of the brothers, their title was "Team Russell". And for Beck, the subtitle was "see above", as in, it's fucking Beck, you should know who the hell he is.

RichC2 01-11-22 10:56 PM

"Weird Al Yankovic- Accordion Player"