Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

Old 07-21-23, 11:51 AM
  #126  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 22,660
Received 525 Likes on 384 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

Originally Posted by Artman
Are we sure this movie isn't some elaborate joke by Marvel? Just looking at this trailer (and posters, lol) who does this appeal to? A section of the MCU fans I suppose. Probably headed to 450m worldwide...


Yeah. Thatís what I got from the preview. Sure. Yep.
Old 07-21-23, 12:05 PM
  #127  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 76,965
Received 3,182 Likes on 2,315 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

Looks fun to me. I’m happy to see Brie Larson back as Captain Marvel. It’s not like Marvel movies are coming out every month. This was postponed from summer to Fall.
Old 07-21-23, 12:09 PM
  #128  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,576
Received 257 Likes on 190 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

It's seems incredibly lazy to intercut the same song into both of the trailers. I wonder if the song will even be in the movie.
Old 07-21-23, 01:26 PM
  #129  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 33,712
Received 634 Likes on 460 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

Originally Posted by windom
It's seems incredibly lazy to intercut the same song into both of the trailers. I wonder if the song will even be in the movie.
Did you complain about this in Thor Ragnarok, too?
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (07-21-23)
Old 07-21-23, 01:50 PM
  #130  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,551
Received 785 Likes on 485 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

I don't know of a nicer way to put this but the girl playing Ms. Marvel seems even more annoying and insufferable in this than in her own show.

And I don't see where people are getting the "fun" vibe. From the song playing?

This looks silly and derivative to me. Can probably also add in annoying due to the actress playing Ms. Marvel if she is in it a lot.

An easy pass for myself. This movie has Fast Forward button written all over it.
Old 07-21-23, 02:09 PM
  #131  
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 355
Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

Originally Posted by Artman
Just looking at this trailer (and posters, lol) who does this appeal to? A section of the MCU fans I suppose.
You can apply that quote to any movie. You could have posted the same thing for Ant-Man, Shang-She, Eternals or Guardians of the Galaxy. I mean, why is it so bad that this film appeals mostly to a young female demographic? Not every Marvel character is Spider-Man or Wolverine that appeal to everyone. I'm 100% sure that Thor doesn't appeal to everyone. Same with Captain America. Why is it that the female driven ones like Captain Marvel and the Marvels get the hate?

Honestly this movie looks fun. May not be memorable, but when you look at other films that other companies have released like Morbius or the last Fantastic Four or X-Men: Dark Phoenix, the Marvels will most likely be 100 times better. I hope this movie does well. Teyonah Pariss and Iman Vellani are great at their roles. We need lead female superhero roles beyond Wonder Woman.
The following 5 users liked this post by The Spectre:
actionjackson29 (07-25-23), Boondock Saint (07-21-23), DJariya (07-21-23), IBJoel (07-21-23), story (07-23-23)
Old 07-21-23, 02:16 PM
  #132  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,551
Received 785 Likes on 485 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

Originally Posted by The Spectre
Why is it that the female driven ones like Captain Marvel and the Marvels get the hate?
It is statements like these that I do not understand.

The last Shazam movie was lambasted along with Black Adam, The Flash, the most recent Ant-Man, Thor and the list goes on and on.

It isn't that there are some females in a super-hero role or are headlining a movie. It is because the movie looks like the silly, derivative crap that Marvel and DC have been churning out lately. When it is a good female driven movie, it gets praised. Not because it was female driven but because it was GOOD. Same as any male driven movie.

Yeah, yeah, I know there are some shit head alpha males who get pissy if there is a female driven movie but those relative few don't control the box office receipts. The quality of movie does (typically).
The following users liked this post:
bchbdaddy (07-21-23)
Old 07-21-23, 02:23 PM
  #133  
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 355
Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
It is statements like these that I do not understand.

The last Shazam movie was lambasted along with Black Adam, The Flash, the most recent Ant-Man, Thor and the list goes on and on.

It isn't that there are some females in a super-hero role or are headlining a movie. It is because the movie looks like the silly, derivative crap that Marvel and DC have been churning out lately. When it is a good female driven movie, it gets praised. Not because it was female driven but because it was GOOD. Same as any male driven movie.

Yeah, yeah, I know there are some shit head alpha males who get pissy if there is a female driven movie but those relative few don't control the box office receipts. The quality of movie does (typically).
None of those films you mentioned get the hate that Captain Marvel, Ms Marvel, The Marvels or Brie Larson gets. And no one questioned who the film appeals to with any of those films either. Black Adam got the hate because it became another dull Dwayne Johnson vehicle and he is getting blamed for shutting the door of the Snyderverse. Flash gets the hate because Ezra Miller is a horrible person and the movie is bad. Thor gets hate because it was too much failed comedy and Ant-Man because it was formulaic. But no one questioned who they appealed to. Almost no one was hating on those films months before it got released. Everyone was on a wait and see how it goes and then give an opinion. With Brie Larson and anything Captain Marvel (or She-Hulk) it gets the hate before being released. The films and TV shows get ratings bombed by losers to the point that IMBD and Rotten Tomatoes have had to make a systematic change on how voting and ratings are done.
The following 4 users liked this post by The Spectre:
Brian T (07-22-23), IBJoel (07-21-23), JayDerek (07-23-23), story (07-23-23)
Old 07-21-23, 02:54 PM
  #134  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,576
Received 257 Likes on 190 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Did you complain about this in Thor Ragnarok, too?
I probably would have if I had noticed it. Did they really use the same song in both of those trailers? I think I remember one used some Led Zeppelin song. Was that song in the movie?
Old 07-21-23, 03:13 PM
  #135  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 21,867
Received 1,764 Likes on 1,230 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

Originally Posted by windom
I think I remember one used some Led Zeppelin song. Was that song in the movie?
Yes, Led Zep's The Immigrant Song was in the movie as well (something that would have been unheard of back in the day when Zep very rarely licensed their music for film soundtracks, other than to Cameron Crowe).
Old 07-21-23, 04:21 PM
  #136  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,551
Received 785 Likes on 485 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

Originally Posted by The Spectre
None of those films you mentioned get the hate that Captain Marvel, Ms Marvel, The Marvels or Brie Larson gets. And no one questioned who the film appeals to with any of those films either. Black Adam got the hate because it became another dull Dwayne Johnson vehicle and he is getting blamed for shutting the door of the Snyderverse. Flash gets the hate because Ezra Miller is a horrible person and the movie is bad. Thor gets hate because it was too much failed comedy and Ant-Man because it was formulaic. But no one questioned who they appealed to. Almost no one was hating on those films months before it got released. Everyone was on a wait and see how it goes and then give an opinion. With Brie Larson and anything Captain Marvel (or She-Hulk) it gets the hate before being released. The films and TV shows get ratings bombed by losers to the point that IMBD and Rotten Tomatoes have had to make a systematic change on how voting and ratings are done.
One person asked about the appeal here, not a plethora.

I guess I just don't pay as much attention to the "pre-hate" of a movie or show because I always stay away from most every article, review and whatnot because I never want anything spoiled. The most info I get is here and everyone seems to be pretty good at staying away from much of that. I always judge a movie by its merits and skip the "Fox News/ Clickbait" type articles, so I really never thought it was that prevalent. But you are wrong on the wait and see for some of the male movies. I saw plenty of headlines declaring what a disaster The Flash, Black Adam, Shazam, Justice League, and others were going to be. Actually declaring them to be a disaster before they come out seems to be the model for every superhero film after Endgame. But I typically just saw the headline and moved on. I hate spoilers as I said and want to judge the movie blind.

I rewatched Captain Marvel a few weeks ago in prep for the Secret Invasion show and found it pretty plodding and dumb. I thought it was just okay in the theater, but my second viewing wasn't as generous, and I just wanted the movie to be over with. Nothing to do with the female lead or the actress herself. I just thought the movie was pretty blah. I don't recall a lot of hate for that movie before it came out. I do remember the negative reviews after it was released and in pre-release and they seemed to be warranted after my rewatch.

I wasn't a huge fan of She-Hulk but I didn't hate it either. I could definitely understand the hate for it with some of the ridiculous stuff they had in the show. It got better as the show went along so if it was judged on the first few episodes, the hate is well understood.

I guess I am confused over the hate you mention for Brie Larson. The little stuff I have seen is every fanboy thinks she is the hotness and liked her in the role. They just thought the writing and final product was poor. Wasn't there a recent massive internet meltdown just because she showed her flat stomach in the first trailer? Guess I must be looking at the wrong articles.
Old 07-21-23, 04:27 PM
  #137  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,551
Received 785 Likes on 485 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

Originally Posted by cultshock
Yes, Led Zep's The Immigrant Song was in the movie as well (something that would have been unheard of back in the day when Zep very rarely licensed their music for film soundtracks, other than to Cameron Crowe).
I remember being irritated in the theater because they used that song twice in the movie itself. It took the coolness and impact out of the use of the song.
Old 07-21-23, 06:02 PM
  #138  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 37,698
Received 1,098 Likes on 845 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

I'll Disney+ this. I tried watching She Hulk and Ms Marvel but stopped a couple of episodes in. Have yet to start Secret Wars and still haven't watched Quantumania. GoG3 was the last MCU film I watched.

MCU = Mediocre Cinematic Universe
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (07-21-23)
Old 07-21-23, 06:09 PM
  #139  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 21,867
Received 1,764 Likes on 1,230 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I remember being irritated in the theater because they used that song twice in the movie itself. It took the coolness and impact out of the use of the song.
Yeah, I thought the same.


Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Have yet to start Secret Wars
Man, you have a really advance copy of that one!
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (07-21-23)
Old 07-21-23, 06:17 PM
  #140  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 37,698
Received 1,098 Likes on 845 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

Originally Posted by cultshock
Yeah, I thought the same.




Man, you have a really advance copy of that one!

Whatever the Nick Fury one is called. See, it's so unremarkable I can't even remember what it's called. lol
Old 07-21-23, 06:29 PM
  #141  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,551
Received 785 Likes on 485 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'll Disney+ this. I tried watching She Hulk and Ms Marvel but stopped a couple of episodes in. Have yet to start Secret Wars and still haven't watched Quantumania. GoG3 was the last MCU film I watched.

MCU = Mediocre Cinematic Universe
She-Hulk grew on me. The couple of episodes with Daredevil are fun and there is a major Meta happening near the end that is either the most amazing or annoying thing you have ever seen. Depends on your perspective and how much "Meta" you like but it skewers the Mediocre Cinematic Universe massively. It also makes fun of the angry minority that The Spectre was talking about. Forgot about that. I guess they really rankled the writers. I must be visiting the wrong message boards.
Old 07-21-23, 08:04 PM
  #142  
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 355
Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
One person asked about the appeal here, not a plethora.


I guess I am confused over the hate you mention for Brie Larson. The little stuff I have seen is every fanboy thinks she is the hotness and liked her in the role. They just thought the writing and final product was poor. Wasn't there a recent massive internet meltdown just because she showed her flat stomach in the first trailer? Guess I must be looking at the wrong articles.
The hate for Brie Larson is so bad that almost every project she does gets reviewed bombed for no reason other than sheís Captain Marvel. Itís as bad as the Snyderverse cult hating on anything that isnít Snyder directed. Itís so bad that it made
Iman Vellani decide to close all her social media accounts because the same hate that Brie gets was now redirected to her for no logical reason. This is not like some recent news or anything. This shit has been brewing since Brie got the part and was put as one of the most powerful beings in the MCU. The toxic fandom shows for the Marvels shows up like clockwork to the point YouTube and other sites have limited the comments on the trailers.

Also my friend, what is a plethora?
The following users liked this post:
ntnon (07-24-23)
Old 07-21-23, 08:28 PM
  #143  
DVD Talk Hero
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 33,303
Received 348 Likes on 258 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

Iím totally stoked for it. I love Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel was great too.
The following users liked this post:
The Questyen (07-21-23)
Old 07-21-23, 10:13 PM
  #144  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 21,867
Received 1,764 Likes on 1,230 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

I really liked She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel and I think the new trailer for The Marvels looks fun and am looking forward to seeing it. So sue me.
Old 07-21-23, 10:15 PM
  #145  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 21,867
Received 1,764 Likes on 1,230 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Whatever the Nick Fury one is called. See, it's so unremarkable I can't even remember what it's called. lol
Secret Invasion. It started off slow and unremarkable for me, but I'm digging it more now. And with the strikes, we'll be lucky to see Avengers: Secret Wars before 2030, hope I'm still alive.
Old 07-21-23, 10:55 PM
  #146  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 25,527
Received 326 Likes on 240 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

The interactions between the three were interesting. At least it creates some chaos to follow. These movies have been reliable but non-special.

Please pick something to go nuts. We got mutants, multiverse. Iíve heard more interesting predictions from the Nerdist guy. Feige should hire that guy. At least bring in something eventful and exciting.
Old 07-21-23, 11:07 PM
  #147  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,278
Received 487 Likes on 360 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

That's probably my favorite MCU trailer there's ever been. Loved everything about it and can't wait to see it.
The following 3 users liked this post by The Questyen:
Goldberg74 (07-21-23), ntnon (07-24-23), The Spectre (07-22-23)
Old 07-22-23, 11:16 PM
  #148  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 28,007
Received 1,011 Likes on 703 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
It is statements like these that I do not understand.

The last Shazam movie was lambasted along with Black Adam, The Flash, the most recent Ant-Man, Thor and the list goes on and on.

It isn't that there are some females in a super-hero role or are headlining a movie. It is because the movie looks like the silly, derivative crap that Marvel and DC have been churning out lately. When it is a good female driven movie, it gets praised. Not because it was female driven but because it was GOOD. Same as any male driven movie.

Yeah, yeah, I know there are some shit head alpha males who get pissy if there is a female driven movie but those relative few don't control the box office receipts. The quality of movie does (typically).
I do agree there have been plenty of bad films that have also get lambasted, but it comes down to one line that jumps out at me:

"I don't even know who this is made for!"

In other words, because it wasn't made for ME (who? ME, ME, ME!) it is derivative stupid shit and the MCU sucks and its all poop and the filmmakers are dumb-dumbs ... .

I look at movies all the time and pass on them. My wife watches plenty of stuff that isn't for me and that I have no desire to watch. I'm glad she has things that she relates to and enjoys. I don't need to shit on it.

I'm glad to see more diversity in casting and product choices in the MCU. Sure, sometimes it might feel a bit forced by a profit-driven megalithic company ... that's because it is. Doesn't mean it is bad just because it isn't for you.
The following users liked this post:
The Spectre (07-23-23)
Old 07-22-23, 11:34 PM
  #149  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,766
Received 473 Likes on 367 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

This looks like good, silly fun. If that's all it is, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Not every super hero flick has to be dark or aiming for deeper meaning (although there's room for those too).
Old 07-23-23, 10:49 AM
  #150  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Posts: 2,402
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) (2023, D: Nia DaCosta) S: Larson, Vellani, Parris

The first Marvel retailer that's really appealed to me in ages. And personally, I think Iman Vellani is the best casting find they've had since Tom Holland.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fielding Mellish:
DJariya (07-23-23), The Spectre (07-23-23)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.