Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022, D: Coogler)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022, D: Coogler)

Old 11-12-21, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

Received 677 Likes on 513 Posts
Re: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022, D: Coogler)

I just read Winston Duke is the new Black Panther? Wow.
Old 11-12-21, 01:13 PM

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,878 Posts

No place legitimate is reporting that.
Old 11-12-21, 01:13 PM
Premium Member

Received 677 Likes on 513 Posts

Okay, I’m just scanning news at the airport. And now I can’t find the article. Probably just one of tons of rumors.
Old 11-12-21, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,102 Likes on 859 Posts

I mean, Shuri does become the Black Panther in the comics, but at this point I'm kind of hoping that doesn't happen as well.

In a similar vein if that did happen to Captain America before Winter Soldier, I could see them going through with the Bucky storyline and turning him into Cap as well.
Old 11-12-21, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 734 Likes on 600 Posts

Not that I donít like Shuri as a character, but seeing as weíve seen so little of TíChalla I would rather they keep him around. I know obviously they canít with Boseman being gone, but a Multiverse version of him could work. Not the ideal situation, but options are limited.
Old 11-12-21, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 451 Likes on 308 Posts

I really hope that rumor is true. He was my first choice when Boseman passed and they announced they wouldn’t recast the role.
Old 11-12-21, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
I just read Winston Duke is the new Black Panther? Wow.
Iíll be excited when they cast Bill Duke as Black Panther.
Old 11-12-21, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 717 Likes on 513 Posts

I think the rumor originated from a report on Giant Freaking Robot.
Old 11-12-21, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,331 Likes on 960 Posts

If they really want to think out of the box, go with Martin Freeman and make it a fish-out-of-water comedy.
Old 11-12-21, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 845 Likes on 579 Posts

If I'm Feige, I would give Letitia Wright her walking papers and find someone more akin to play Shuri who isn't a fucking nutjob. And if they need a temporary replacement for Black Panther they could easily bring Nakia (Lupita Nyong'o). Better actress and from what I understand, is not promoting bullshit in the interwebs.

As much as I love Chadwick Boseman, the best thing they can do is recast the character. Someone like John David Washington could certainly do a great job.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red Hood:
Goonies85 (11-15-21), Toddarino (11-12-21)
Old 11-15-21, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 845 Likes on 579 Posts

So far, Marvel wonít recast TíChalla

Old 01-14-22, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 454 Likes on 321 Posts

‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever’ to Resume Filming Next Week With Letitia Wright
The actor, who was injured in August, will be back on set in Atlanta.
BY
BORYS KIT, AARON COUCH
JANUARY 14, 2022 2:39PM

After several setbacks, among them a major on-set injury and COVID-19 infections, Marvel Studios’ Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is finally restarting production, with star Letitia Wright healed and back in Atlanta ready to resume her role as fan-favorite character, Shuri.

Production was initially to have restarted last Monday, but was delayed thanks to several cast and crew, Lupita Nyong’o among them, testing positive for COVID-19. Shooting is due to resume in Atlanta next week on the Ryan Coogler-directed picture for what sources say will be about a four-week period.

Last August, Wright suffered an injury while filming a sequence involving a stunt rig on-location in Boston. Production then shut down in late November after the Wakanda Forever team filmed as much as they could without Wright, while she continued to heal from home in London.

Eyes were on Wright, a British citizen, because she had expressed anti-COVID vaccine sentiment. The CDC late last year implemented rules requiring all non-immigrant, non-citizen air travelers to the U.S. to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination status before boarding a plane. While not commenting on her vaccinated status, several sources say those issues have been resolved.

Wright’s agent also did not comment, only telling The Hollywood Reporter, “She always intended to return but just needed to wait until she had fully recovered.”

Separately, sources say Winston Duke, who plays M’Baku, negotiated a hefty raise for his return to Black Panther, due to what is being described as an expanded role in the Panther mythos. What that expansion looks like is unclear.

Marvel had no comment.

Insiders say the restart is not expected to impact the movie’s release date, which currently stands on Nov. 11, 2022. It had already been moved once before, from July 8, 2022.

Wakanda Forever has trudged a rocky path so far. Black Panther star Chadwick Boseman died of colon cancer in August 2020 with Marvel and the filmmakers having to reconceive the project without the beloved actor. Wright, who became a breakout star in 2018 thanks to her work as Shuri, the sister of Black Panther T’Challa, was elevated to the lead of the sequel. It is unclear if that elevated status continues beyond this sequel into future movies or Disney+ series.

Wakanda Forever is one of three Marvel movies due out this year, including Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (May 6) and Thor: Love and Thunder (July 8). Marvel Studios’ Spider-Man: No Way Home, which was released by Sony last month, has topped $1.54 billion globally. Coogler and Marvel are also developing a Disney+ spinoff set in the fictional country of Wakanda that will feature actor Danai Gurira.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (01-15-22)
Old 01-16-22, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 320 Likes on 249 Posts

Theyíve been ďresolvedĒ meaning money is the only thing that matters.
Old 01-16-22, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,331 Likes on 960 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
As much as I love Chadwick Boseman, the best thing they can do is recast the character. Someone like John David Washington could certainly do a great job.
I'm thinking the same thing. Washington would have been a good replacement. So would Chiwetel Ejiofor if he wasn't already playing Mordo.

The MCU, post-Endgame, is at a really weird place now that they have lost so many actors/characters. Steve Rogers is no longer Captain America. Tony Stark is no longer Iron Man. T'Challa is no longer Black Panther. Thor will no longer be Thor (maybe; I don't know if Chris Hemsworth wants to move on, or if Natalie Portman wants to play Thor in more than one movie). Kate is looking like she's the new Hawkeye. Yelena is the new Black Widow.

It seems like a lot of change in a short period of time.

I think that I'd rather see most of these characters recast as actors move on, age out, or otherwise become unavailable, rather than passing the mantle to other characters. Find someone new to play Steve Rogers and Tony Stark. Ironically, Black Panther is a legacy character, and the easiest one to replace with a new character and actor, but it still seems weird to replace the character after only one solo movie and a handful of appearances in ensemble films, especially when they are (apparently) gearing up to a major conflict between Wakanda and Atlantis in the upcoming Black Panther film. Would have loved to have seen T'Challa squaring off against Namor.

Old 01-16-22, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I know people like Coogler had a great working relationship with Chadwick Boseman, who was a great actor. But the idea they can't recast T'Challa after Boseman's death is simply inane. If it's out of respect for Boseman, they have to realize that Boseman had no respect for them, otherwise he wouldn't have signed on to play a character over several films while knowing he wouldn't be able to fulfill that promise, or even make them aware of his condition.

It hurts to say it, I'm sure it hurts to hear it, but that's the truth of the situation. Boserman kept his very serious cancer diagnosis private while taking on a major role in the largest movie franchise in history. It would be wonderful if he had beaten it and was continuing to play T'Challa, but he didn't and he isn't. Recast with respect and move on.
Old 01-16-22, 09:00 AM

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Boseman had no respect for them, otherwise he wouldn't have signed on to play a character over several films while knowing he wouldn't be able to fulfill that promise, or even make them aware of his condition.
Boseman was cast in the role in 2014. He was diagnosed in 2016.
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (01-16-22)
Old 01-16-22, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 202 Likes on 164 Posts

I know people like Coogler had a great working relationship with Chadwick Boseman, who was a great actor. But the idea they can't recast T'Challa after Boseman's death is simply inane. If it's out of respect for Boseman, they have to realize that Boseman had no respect for them, otherwise he wouldn't have signed on to play a character over several films while knowing he wouldn't be able to fulfill that promise, or even make them aware of his condition.

It hurts to say it, I'm sure it hurts to hear it, but that's the truth of the situation. Boserman kept his very serious cancer diagnosis private while taking on a major role in the largest movie franchise in history. It would be wonderful if he had beaten it and was continuing to play T'Challa, but he didn't and he isn't. Recast with respect and move on.
A company that is so afraid of every public outcry, like Disney, can't recast the role, although they should have.
Old 01-16-22, 09:35 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 159 Posts

I don't put it on Boseman. He got a dire diagnosis, so what, he's supposed to just sit at home and die?

But, what is going on here, is the little sister slated to be the new BP? I've heard everything from Siri, to bringing back Adonis Creed, to recasting. What is the scoop, do we know?
Old 01-16-22, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I feel like if they couldn't come up with what they think is a satisfactory way forward than they would have recast. There is too much money riding on these things otherwise. It's not quite the same, but as I recall they originally said Carrie Fisher was not going to be utilized in archival footage in Star Wars IX and they reversed course. There will probably be a lot of stuff in the film about carrying on the legacy and "it was never just about one man."
Old 01-16-22, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Pretty sure they have to go through a physical exam before shooting for insurance purposes. If he couldn't have been insured, Disney would have known that much even without knowing the specifics of his condition.
Old 01-16-22, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,072 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Maybe Iím in the minority here, but I donít mind making another character the new Black Panther, in fact I prefer it.. This isnít like if Christopher Reeve had died before shooting Superman II and they decided to replace Kal El with another resident of Krypton to take over the Superman mantle. It makes sense that if TíChalla had died someone else would have become King of Wakanda and the next Black Panther (heck there was a battle for that title while TíChalla was alive). What great mythology will we be missing out on if someone else takes on the title? This way we acknowledge the tremendous loss, donít have to pretend that this totally different person is the same man we grew so attached to (something that I have a hard time doing on other shows like Game of Thrones), and can move the story forward in a realistic and logical way.
Old 01-16-22, 10:19 AM

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Maybe Iím in the minority here, but I donít mind making another character the new Black Panther, in fact I prefer it.. This isnít like if Christopher Reeve had died before shooting Superman II and they decided to replace Kal El with another resident of Krypton to take over the Superman mantle. It makes sense that if TíChalla had died someone else would have become King of Wakanda and the next Black Panther (heck there was a battle for that title while TíChalla was alive). What great mythology will we be missing out on if someone else takes on the title? This way we acknowledge the tremendous loss, donít have to pretend that this totally different person is the same man we grew so attached to (something that I have a hard time doing on other shows like Game of Thrones), and can move the story forward in a realistic and logical way.
You're right...Black Panther has been in what, 6 movies? And we've seen what, 3 or 4 people have that title already? lol
Old 01-16-22, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 202 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
That is actually what I'd wished for in the TV series Spartacus. When the lead actor died of cancer, they recast the part, but there would have been no problem in saying. The real Spartacus died in battle and his desciples decided on another slave to be Spartacus to keep the rebellion alive.

What you describe for Black Panther is even easier, since Black Panther is a "job". Winston Duke doesn't have to be Man-Ape or Daniel Kaluuya's W'Kabi could redeem himself by stepping up. Having Suri as Black Panther may work as well, but if the actress is problamatic they shouldn't keep her, just because they don't want to recast T'Challa.
Old 01-16-22, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 175 Likes on 134 Posts

Recognize that T'Challa passed and pass the mantle in the film. Black Panther is a title to anyone worthy and designated as just that. We don't need another T'Challa, just another Black Panther.
Old 01-16-22, 12:37 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 159 Posts

but how do you have him die that isn't lame for the character and not disrespectful to the actor? just the truth? cancer?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.