Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Parallel Mothers (2021, D: Almodovar) - S: Penelope Cruz

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-21, 06:30 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

éSony Pictures Classics has taken all rights in North America, Australia and New Zealand to Pedro Almodóvar’s Parallel Mothers (Madres Paralelas), repping the 13th collaboration between the distributor and the filmmaker’s production company El Deseo. Production began last month on the film in Madrid. The movie also reunites the director with longtime collaborators Penélope Cruz, Julieta Serrano and Rossy de Palma.

Parallel Mothers is a drama that centers on three mothers, portrayed by Cruz, Aitana Sánchez Gijón and Milena Smit. The film expands Almodóvar’s previous depictions of womanhood by turning his focus on imperfect mothers, in a departure from his prior work exploring mothers and motherhood.

Written by Almodóvar, the film also stars Israel Elejalde.

The film is produced by Agustín Almodóvar and Esther García through El Deseo.

Sony Pictures Classics recently released Almodóvar’s short film The Human Voice, starring Tilda Swinton, in theaters alongside a digitally restored re-issue of Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. It will be available to stream on HBO Max starting April 30.

Almodóvar won two Oscars for best foreign language film for All About My Mother and original screenplay for his 2002 title Talk to Her (Hable con Ella).
https://deadline.com/2021/04/sony-pi...as-1234742413/

Always down for more from Almodóvar.

I saw that short with Swinton back during the NYFF. It was pretty good. Cool that it is coming to HBOMax.
Old 06-06-21, 04:06 PM

re: Parallel Mothers (2021, D: Almodovar) - S: Penelope Cruz

El Deseo, the Madrid-based production label of Oscar-winning Spanish director Pedro Almodóvar and his Bafta-winning producer brother Agustín, has wrapped shooting on its latest feature production, “Madres paralelas,” starring Penélope Cruz. To celebrate the occasion, El Deseo has released a pair of first-look images as well as a behind the scenes clip of the COVID-era shoot.

Joining Cruz as key cast members are Israel Elejalde (“Veneno”) and two long-time Almodóvar collaborators and “Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown” co-stars, Julieta Serrano and Rossy de Palma.

“Madres paralelas” – parallel mothers in English – turns on a trio of mothers — played by Cruz, Gijón and Smit — and expands Almodóvar’s previous depictions of womanhood by turning the film’s focus on imperfect mothers.

Almodóvar began developing “Parallel Mothers” several years ago, but as weeks of Spanish lockdowns turned into months, the filmmaker finally had to time to finish up the screenplay and begin pre-production in October. Shooting then kicked off in late March in and around Madrid, as can be seen in the clip released today, which even in its unedited format bears many of the hallmarks that define Almodóvar’s work.

Masks and protective equipment can be seen on set, as was the case with Almodóvar’s previous production, the award-winning short “The Human Voice” starring Tilda Swinton, one of the first Spanish productions to enlist foreign talent as lockdown restrictions were loosened last summer.

“With ‘Madres paralelas’ I return to the female universe, to motherhood, to the family,” Almodóvar said in a casting announcement for the film in February. “I speak of the importance of ancestors and descendants. The inevitable presence of memory. There are many mothers in my filmography, the ones that are part of this story are very different.

“As a storyteller, imperfect mothers inspire me most at this time. Penélope Cruz, Aitana Sánchez Gijón and the young Milena Smit will play the three mothers in the film, accompanied by Israel Elejalde as the main male character. It is also a collaboration with my beloved Julieta Serrano and Rossy de Palma. ‘Parallel Mothers’ will be an intense drama. Or so I hope,” he added.

“Madres paralelas” is produced by Agustín Almodóvar and Esther García at El Deseo, with Spanish broadcaster RTVE and Netflix both contributing. A theatrical release is planned for Spain by Sony Pictures Entertainment Iberia, while North American, Australian and New Zealand rights were picked up in August by Sony Pictures Classics in a continuation of a longtime relationship which has seen the company collaborate on 12 previous El Deseo productions.
Old 08-23-21, 11:46 AM

re: Parallel Mothers (2021, D: Almodovar) - S: Penelope Cruz

Two women, Janis and Ana, coincide in a hospital room where they are going to give birth. Both are single and became pregnant by accident. Janis, middle-aged, doesn’t regret it and she is exultant. The other, Ana, an adolescent, is scared, repentant and traumatized. Janis tries to encourage her while they move like sleepwalkers along the hospital corridors. The few words they exchange in these hours will create a very close link between the two, which by chance develops and complicates, and changes their lives in a decisive way.
Old 10-09-21, 06:38 AM

Re: Parallel Mothers (2021, D: Almodovar) - S: Penelope Cruz

I saw this last night. It was another fantastic Almodóvar film.

Penelope Cruz was so good. One of the best performances of her career.
Old 01-25-22, 03:12 PM

This started playing in more theatres last weekend and goes wider this weekend.

Highly recommended.
Old 01-25-22, 04:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

would love to see this. they make a great pair and Almodovar's movies are so distinct, so personal, so good.
hopefully it streams not so long from now.
Old 02-09-22, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Good news. Feb. 18 on VOD.
Old 02-10-22, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I saw this two weeks ago. Highly recommended. And I'm so glad Cruz got nominated for her performance. She truly is Almodovar's muse. "Volver" is still my favorite collaboration. I would love to see him make another over the top comedy like "Women on the Verge" though at some point.