DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Captain America: Brave New World (2025, D: Onah) -- S: Anthony Mackie (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/652877-captain-america-brave-new-world-2025-d-onah-s-anthony-mackie.html)

DJariya 04-23-21 03:40 PM

Captain America: Brave New World (2025, D: Onah) -- S: Anthony Mackie

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...source=twitter

Malcolm Spellman is picking up Captain America's shield once again.

The head writer and show creator behind Disney+ and Marvel's The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is developing a fourth installment of the Captain America film franchise for Marvel Studios. Spellman will co-write the script with Dalan Musson, a staff writer on Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

No castings for the project are officially known but Friday’s episode offers plenty of roads for the feature to take. Up until this point, Chris Evans has played Captain America via the Steve Rogers character, appearing in a trio of solo movies, Avengers outings, and assorted Marvel movies. And the question of who is entitled to carry the shield or be Captain America was central to the show.

The feature is likely to continue the story of Sam Wilson, played by Anthony Mackie, and the current wielder of the shield. But as the writers get to work, it will interesting to see how the story unfolds with there now being multiple people who have been Captain Americas in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

No director is attached and Evans’ involvement or return remains unconfirmed. Marvel was tight-lipped as usual.

Falcon and the Winter Soldier, which also stars Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes/The Winter Soldier, has earned strong critical and fan reaction. Spellman assembled a nearly all-Black writer's room for the series, which has been praised for bringing the Black experience to the forefront not quite like any other superhero film or TV show before it. The series has tackled issues as every day as discriminatory lending practices, to the original sins of America building itself on the backs of Black people.

The series premiered March 19, to what Disney+ said was its biggest series debut ever, topping popular shows such as Marvel's WandaVision and Lucasfilm's The Mandalorian.

Evans toplined three previous Captain America films, including Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Captain America: Civil War (2016), and retired the role with Avengers: Endgame. When events pick up in Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Wilson opted to forgo the title of Captain America, and sees the government give the role to John Walker (Wyatt Russell), a white member of the military.

Spellman was previously a writer/co-executive producer on Fox show Empire and also acted as a consulting producer on crime show Truth Be Told before getting the chance to take the lead on Falcon. He is repped by CAA and Industry Entertainment.

Musson was the credited writer of what is considered among the strongest of the show's installments, episode 5. He is a rising scribe whose previous credit was on Iron Sky: The Coming Race, an action thriller centered on Nazis on the moon. He is repped by Verve and Industry.

dex14 04-23-21 04:29 PM

re: Captain America: Brave New World (2025, D: Onah) -- S: Anthony Mackie

:thumbsup:

Why So Blu? 04-23-21 04:35 PM

They need to nail down a good director, otherwise it will be mediocre just like the show. Don't think the Russo Brothers will be available anymore.

Mike86 04-23-21 04:39 PM

Not that I didn’t expect it, but it seems like a lot of places online have been spoiling this. Regardless I’m interested in a Sam Captain America film. The show has been good so far (haven’t watched the last episode yet).

rocket1312 04-23-21 06:20 PM

So no need to watch that last F&WS episode I guess.

Hokeyboy 04-23-21 06:27 PM

The show was hit-or-miss and uneven but mostly OK. I'd rather a different creative team be involved with CA4. Then again, one of my main criticisms was that the story would have worked better as a taut 140 minute movie than a bloated 6 hour miniseries. Let's see what they can do.

Koby 04-23-21 10:41 PM

Hopefully Bucky is still around.

clckworang 04-23-21 11:01 PM

The creative team will need to up its game from the show.

Shannon Nutt 04-24-21 06:12 PM

Were the Chris Evans rumors that he is returning just that? I thought Captain America 4 would maybe jump back and forth between Sam in the present and Steve in the past (after he jumped back in Endgame). That would be interesting...but I'm seeing news stories that Evans won't be involved at all in Captain America 4.

dex14 04-24-21 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13925488)
Were the Chris Evans rumors that he is returning just that? I thought Captain America 4 would maybe jump back and forth between Sam in the present and Steve in the past (after he jumped back in Endgame). That would be interesting...but I'm seeing news stories that Evans won't be involved at all in Captain America 4.

While not confirmed sources say the project Spellman is writing could be one focused on Anthony Mackie’s Sam Wilson character while the possible Chris Evans Captain America project would be separate. Deadline first told you that Evans is in talks to reprise Steve Rogers.

Ranger 04-25-21 09:09 AM

Unexpected but cool news.

rexinnih 04-27-21 10:28 PM

I'm ready for this.

Noonan 04-28-21 08:57 AM

Apparently, Mackie found out when he was in a store and a worker saw the article online and showed it to him. The team hadn't even called him into LA for meetings yet.

DJariya 08-18-21 02:00 PM

Mackie has officially signed on.

TheMovieman 08-18-21 02:21 PM

Nice :thumbsup:

Decker 08-18-21 02:39 PM

:lol: Like he might have said no.

JayTL 08-18-21 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13972315)
:lol: Like he might have said no.

I'm kind of laughing my ass off to the fact that Disney announced the movie before getting the star back lol.

Deftones 08-18-21 02:43 PM

Let's just hope it has a better plot than the show.

DJariya 08-18-21 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by JayTL (Post 13972316)
I'm kind of laughing my ass off to the fact that Disney announced the movie before getting the star back lol.

Like I posted back in April, it was reported they just hired a writer to begin the process of the script. No castings were announced.

Obviously it took months of negotiations for him to sign on. I'm sure working with the same guy who was the showrunner of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier certainly helped. Mackie obviously had to either read the script or hear the outline before signing on.

devilshalo 08-18-21 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13972318)
Like I posted back in April, it was reported they just hired a writer to begin the process of the script. No castings were announced.

Obviously it took months of negotiations for him to sign on. I'm sure working with the same guy who was the showrunner of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier certainly helped. Mackie obviously had to either read the script or hear the outline before signing on.

Or he wanted to make sure he wouldn't get Black Widowed when it came to the money.

Noonan 08-18-21 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 13972329)
Or he wanted to make sure he wouldn't get Black Widowed when it came to the money.

Pretty sure Mackie would jump at the chance to bring home the $20m Johansen got for BW.

TGM 08-18-21 04:56 PM

Anthony Mackie is not a big enough name, or talent, to carry this film.

Groucho 08-18-21 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 13972372)

Clearly you haven't seen his rap battle i scene in "8 Mile".

TheMovieman 08-18-21 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 13972372)

IDK, think he'll be fine, especially if they surround him with veteran actors.

Mike86 08-18-21 06:24 PM

Nice to see it confirmed. I didn’t really have doubts that we would get a movie featuring him eventually though.