Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Munsters (2022, D: Rob Zombie)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Munsters (2022, D: Rob Zombie)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-22, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: The Munsters (2022, D: Rob Zombie)

This looks sooooo bad. Lol
Old 07-13-22, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Somehow this make the teaser look like Citizen Kane, and that was a pile of shit. This looks abysmal. And also sounds awful. Did they use tin cans and string to record the audio?
The following users liked this post:
Throwing Copper (07-13-22)
Old 07-13-22, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

If you put a laugh track on it and put it in B&W it probably does fit with the old show.

It does look over the top horribly bad, but I'm still curious enough to give it watch.
Old 07-13-22, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I smell an Oscar in Mr. Zombie's future.
Old 07-13-22, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Another nail in the Peacock coffin...ugh, this looks terrible.
Old 07-13-22, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Looks like it was shot inside a Spencer Gifts.
The following 3 users liked this post by DaveyJoe:
Brian T (07-14-22), IBJoel (07-13-22), Why So Blu? (07-13-22)
Old 07-13-22, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I was mildly curious about this but after that trailer I think I’m out. Looks super weird, but then again it is a Rob Zombie film so I’m not overly surprised.
Old 07-13-22, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts

It looks so cheap. If I didn't know better I would think it was a fan made fake trailer.
Old 07-13-22, 03:53 PM

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

It appears his streak will continue.
Old 07-13-22, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
I smell an Oscar in Mr. Zombie's future.
imagination.
Old 07-13-22, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

WHAT is up with the production values on this thing?
Old 07-13-22, 04:44 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

This is a Universal 1440 co-production... their home video distribution entity who cranks out DTV sequels to their properties (Scorpion King, Jarhead, Bring It On, etc.) Their budgets are like $5-$10m.
IBJoel (07-13-22)
Old 07-13-22, 04:56 PM

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

The thing is, this could have had a $30 million budget and it still would have been terrible.
Old 07-13-22, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Looks like it was shot inside a Spencer Gifts.
I’m guessing the reason production looks so rushed was because Rob and the crew needed to be out of the Spirit Halloween store each morning before it opened for the day.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
IBJoel (07-13-22), Rival11 (07-14-22)
Old 07-13-22, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

This looks worse than I would have imagined. Even for a trailer it’s poorly put together.
Old 07-13-22, 05:57 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by alfredog1976
Did Fred Gwynn have a brother we weren’t aware of?
Ed is Fred’s twin brother who works for scale.
alfredog1976 (07-13-22)
Old 07-13-22, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I’m guessing the reason production looks so rushed was because Rob and the crew needed to be out of the Spirit Halloween store each morning before it opened for the day.
Plus I mean, you only have like, one month where all the merchandise is up and out on the floor.

But seriously, this might be my favorite post of yours
GoldenJCJ (07-13-22)
Old 07-13-22, 06:34 PM

Funny enough… there actually is a Spirit Halloween movie coming this year.
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/s...235271762/amp/
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
IBJoel (07-13-22), John Pannozzi (07-14-22)
Old 07-14-22, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
WHAT is up with the production values on this thing?
I slightly remember watching a BTS on "31" and the low budget caused some issues with location shooting.
Old 07-14-22, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
This is a Universal 1440 co-production... their home video distribution entity who cranks out DTV sequels to their properties (Scorpion King, Jarhead, Bring It On, etc.) Their budgets are like $5-$10m.
The budget was reportedly $30M-$40M
Old 07-14-22, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jaymole
The budget was reportedly $30M-$40M
I know that is what the OP article states when first announced, but there is no way that can be accurate. Zombie has never had a budget on a film more than $15mil and it isn't going to start on a home entertainment production. But he is co-producing with his production company, so he could've put up a big portion of his own money... even still that sounds absurd.
Old 07-14-22, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
I know that is what the OP article states when first announced, but there is no way that can be accurate. Zombie has never had a budget on a film more than $15mil and it isn't going to start on a home entertainment production. But he is co-producing with his production company, so he could've put up a big portion of his own money... even still that sounds absurd.
Perhaps they meant to say $30K - $40K which judging by the trailer, still looks like an overstatement.
Old 07-14-22, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Definitely not a theatrical quality production... it looks like they shot it with a consumer grade digital camera. Did not expect that. Reminds me of a present day Full Moon Features flick you'd stream for free on Tubi. Yikes.

Even the voiceover and font in the trailer comes across like a cheesy fan film. I don't know what kind of vocal affect Sheri Moon Zombie is using here, but it's pretty cringe and sure ain't Lily.

Last edited by joe_b; 07-14-22 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-14-22, 08:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'The Munsters.' 2022 Movie.

I reckon it's safe to assume that most if not all of the negative comments about the teaser and the trailer for Rob Zombie's upcoming 'The Munsters.' movie are very much down to an absolutely overwhelming love of the original 1960s TV Series. That being a sentiment which I definitely share and which, I sympathize, is incredibly hard to shake when looking at clips of the new movie.

That means that however good the new movie is I suspect that a lot of people who love the original TV Series simply won't think it compares favourably - which is a shame but, I think, inevitable.

Although I'm probably just as guilty of it as anyone else, I don't think it's fair to base too many expectations of the movie on just the teaser or the trailer. Although having said that I do think the teaser falls a bit flat in its obvious attempt to replicate the original TV Series opening so exactly.

On balance I think it was a mistake to introduce the new movie to the world in that way because it was almost guaranteed to be hammered with negative and quite microscopic criticism. Perhaps a less obvious homage (which I think the full trailer gets right) would have been wiser.

Also; just to reply to one of the other comments here; I can confirm that the original TV series was on British TV because I remember watching it when I was a kid.

Having now seen the full trailer I'd have to say firstly that it's pretty obvious that the portrayal of Herman Munster is absolutely nothing like Fred Gwynne's version. That's definitely a good thing since I don't think anyone could do a Fred Gwynne Herman Munster as good as Fred Gwynne did it!

The new portrayal of Herman doesn't seem bad though, in its own right - but part of me wishes that in the most recent trailer Jeff Daniel Phillips wasn't so obviously trying to copy Fred Gwynne's Herman Munster laugh. It unavoidably invites comparison and Phillips just doesn't have Gwynne's deep voice to quite pull it off.

I'd also say that from what I've seen so far, Daniel Roebuck seems to some extent to be channeling Al Lewis's version of Grandpa, without it being a slavish impersonation - which is good. And that leaves Sherri Moon Zombie, who appears to be doing her own unique version of Lily Munster.

I think Sherri Moon Zombie has the easier task playing Lily because that character was the most 'normal' of the three main characters in the TV Series. So she has a lot more leeway with her characterization and it'll probably be less open to comparison to the original Yvonne De Carlo version.

However; Sherri Moon's quite unique portrayal of Lily (which so far I quite like) actually makes me wonder whether, in the long run, it might have been better for Daniel Roebuck to do something with Grandpa which stands completely apart from the Al Lewis version? Then you'd have three new characters which uniformly stand apart from the originals, and which therefore wouldn't so easily invite terribly harsh comparison.

As it is there seem to be two quite new and fresh characterizations and one throwback, and I'm not sure that's wise. If what I see in the trailer reflects the whole movie then what we might get is a movie which in one area seems a bit copycat, but in other areas seems quite different from the TV Series. In other words it might have a bit of a confused identity.

But that opinion is based purely on a two and a half minute trailer, so perhaps making a judgement like that is a bit premature?

What I do like about the full trailer is that it introduces some new characters, which I think will greatly help the movie to solidify its own identity.

The overall tone of the trailer seems to depict more or less the same kind of humour as the original series, though updated for a modern (and apparently quite young) audience. It also looks quite zany, which I think is a good choice. Although perhaps the trailer could have had a bit of a slower and less breathless pace? I find it a bit dizzying.

Ultimately though, whether enough of the jokes and visual gags in the movie will land with the audience, whether new to 'The Munsters.' or long-term fans of the original TV Series, is anyone's guess - as is always the case with any comedy.

Anyway at this point I think I've seen enough to be able to say good luck to Rob Zombie with the new movie and I think it looks pretty good, if you can put the original out of your mind and give it a chance. But I think I'll stick with my 'The Munsters: The Closed Casket Collection.' DVD box set.

I might dip into a few minutes of the new movie when it drops on streaming but for me no one will ever do 'The Munsters.' better than Al Lewis, Yvonne De Carlo, Fred Gwynne, Butch Patrick and Pat Priest.

Then again I might quite easily appreciate this new movie on its own terms and end up watching the whole thing and loving it. Who knows?

In the long run my greatest hope is that this new version of 'The Munsters.' will be successful enough to persuade Universal to release the original classic 1960s TV Series, fully remastered, on blu ray. It's long overdue!!

In fact I'm posting that wish all over the place online in the hope that Universal Pictures Home Entertainment will eventually see it and act on it!

**"SOME ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS***

I've now had a week or so to digest the teaser trailer and the full trailer for Rob Zombie's new movie version of 'The Munsters.' and since it's now going straight to Netflix, which I think is too expensive these days and I therefore recently cancelled my subscription, I actually went ahead and placed a pre-order for the blu ray!

No way am I paying £15 to restart my subscription to Netflix in order to watch it!

With the blu ray, for about the same price I'll no doubt get better and totally stable image quality than I would streaming it, I'll get an hour or so of Special Features and I'll also get an audio commentary. That's much better value for money.

I'm also pleased to be able to say that the second full trailer, that's been released since I posted here last week, has definitely left me with more positive expectations of the movie than the teaser and the first full trailer did.

I also no longer fear that this new version of 'The Munsters.' will have a confused identity. From what I've seen so far I'm guessing that, whether I ultimately like the movie or not, it'll have a quite coherent and stable tone and identity.

Most importantly; over the past week I've come to the solid conclusion that even though I'm a huge fan of the original 'The Munsters.' TV Series, when I get the blu ray I'll do my best to put that as far to the back of my mind as possible, and try my best to enjoy the movie on its own terms.

It'll be impossible to put the original TV Series COMPLETELY out of my mind but I'm going to give this new 'The Munsters.' movie a chance, and now I'm actually looking forward to seeing it!

However I have a feeling that it's going to be quite some time before this movie, even if it's really really good, is going to be fully accepted on its own terms. After all; the original 'The Munsters.' TV Series casts a very long shadow.

Last edited by Friscokid; 07-25-22 at 12:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Friscokid:
John Pannozzi (07-14-22), RichC2 (08-06-22)
Old 07-14-22, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

There was more thought put into that post than it looks like Rob Zombie put into this movie.
The following 5 users liked this post by RichC2:
bchbdaddy (07-14-22), Friscokid (07-14-22), JayTL (07-16-22), TGM (07-15-22), Throwing Copper (07-15-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.