Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Goodnight Mommy - US remake (2022, D: Sobel) - S: Naomi Watts

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-21, 06:29 PM

Received 4,609 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Naomi Watts is set to star in and executive produce the English-language remake of the hit Austrian psychological thriller “Goodnight Mommy,” set up at Amazon Studios.

The streamer will mount the remake with indie prestige label Animal Kingdom and production company Playtime. Released in 2014, the original film became a cult classic and was selected as the Austrian entry for best foreign language film at the Academy Awards.

Matt Sobel (“Take Me To The River”) is directing from a script by Kyle Warren. David Kaplan, Joshua Astrachan, Valery Guibal and Nicolas Brigaud-Robert are producing. In addition to Watts, the original film’s directors Severin Fiala and Veronika Franz will serve as executive producers.

Playtime acquired the remake rights and developed the new film with Playtime. Amazon is financing and releasing worldwide.

“Goodnight Mommy” follows twin brothers who, when sent to stay with their mother, are surprised to find her swathed in bandages from a recent procedure. As her behavior grows increasingly erratic and unusual, the twins become convinced she is an imposter. Their suspicion sets off a roller-coaster of emotional mind games and misunderstandings between mother and her children, that eventually explodes with irreparable and heartbreaking consequences.

“My favorite films are those that invite the audience to step inside their protagonist’s journey. In our re-imagining of Goodnight Mommy, fear of abandonment — and the dreadful realization that those close to us may not be who they seem — create an immersive nightmare, with visceral sensations front and center. I can’t wait to create this heart-stopping story with Amazon and the peerless Naomi Watts,” said Sobel.

Watts is a two-time Academy Award nominee, for Alejandro Gonzalez Iñarritu’s “21 Grams” and, later, Juan Antonio Bayona’s “The Impossible.” She can currently be seen in the TIFF-selected family drama “Penguin Bloom,” the Netflix original based on the true story and best-selling book about a mom coping with the aftermath of a harrowing accident. She will next be seen in Phillip Noyce’s “Lakewood” and is currently filming the thriller “Infinite Storm” for Bleecker Street. She is a producer on both films.

Watts is repped by CAA and Untitled Entertainment. Sobel’s “Take Me To The River” premiered at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival. He is repped by WME, Cinetic Media and Sloane Offer Weber Dern. Franz and Fiala are repped by WME and Jackoway Tyerman. Kyle Warren is repped by Writ Large.

Playtime is a Paris-based hybrid finance, sales and international production company active since 1997 and committed to giving a voice to talents from around the world. It has been a key enabler for movies by Céline Sciamma, Jacques Audiard, François Ozon, Robin Campillo, Naomi Kawase, László Nemes, Claire Denis, and many others. Recent successes include the Oscar-winning “Son of Saul,” Cannes winner “BPM,” and Berlin winner “By The Grace of God.”

Founded in 2012, Animal Kingdom has been responsible for some of the most distinctive and acclaimed American independent cinema of the past near-decade, including: “Short Term 12,” “It Follows,” “Paterson,” “It Comes at Night,” “Beach Rats,” and “The Dead Don’t Die.” The Brooklyn-based company’s mission is to elevate singular voices, challenge convention and to make vivid, beautiful and original work.
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/n...234944894/amp/
Old 04-06-21, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
re: Goodnight Mommy - US remake (2022, D: Sobel) - S: Naomi Watts

Will make a fun companion with The Ring remake and the Funny Games remake.
Old 08-24-22, 08:25 AM

Received 4,609 Likes on 3,125 Posts
re: Goodnight Mommy - US remake (2022, D: Sobel) - S: Naomi Watts

Goodnight Mommy arrives on Prime Video September 16, 2022.

When twin brothers (Cameron and Nicholas Crovetti) arrive at their mother’s (Naomi Watts) country home to discover her face covered in bandages—the result, she explains, of recent cosmetic surgery—they immediately sense that something doesn’t add up. She sets strange new house rules, smokes in her bathroom, and secretly rips up a drawing they gave her—things their loving mother would never do.

As her behavior grows increasingly bizarre and erratic, a horrifying thought takes root in the boys’ minds: The sinking suspicion that the woman beneath the gauze, who’s making their food and sleeping in the next room, isn’t their mother at all.
Old 08-24-22, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 131 Posts
Re: Goodnight Mommy - US remake (2022, D: Sobel) - S: Naomi Watts

Nope, there is no way this is going to be as good as the original. Trailer sucked as well.

It's completely devoid of all the tension from the original.
Old 08-24-22, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 291 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Nope, there is no way this is going to be as good as the original. Trailer sucked as well.

Agree. The original was creepy AF and it's trailer made it a must see film. Had I not known anything about the story, this new trailer did nothing for me. Felt bland with zero of the first's tension.
The following users liked this post:
Rival11 (08-25-22)
Old 08-25-22, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Will make a fun companion with The Ring remake and the Funny Games remake.
Not the same vibe, but she also starred in the 2005 King Kong. Any other remakes that Watts was in that we're missing here?

Originally Posted by Rival11

As flat as the trailer for this remake feels, at least it doesn't mislead you with a shot of
Spoiler:
a giant beetle crawling into the mother's mouth (which IIRC is a dream sequence) and then cut to her chewing on it.
That's not the filmmaker's fault, but that was some pretty underhanded editing.
Old 08-28-22, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Absolutely love the original film.

Definitely agree that the trailer for the remake feels flat.
Old 09-02-22, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,306 Likes on 950 Posts

If anyone wants to check out the original, it's on Tubi and Vudu (free w/ads).
Old 09-16-22, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This dropped on Prime.
Old 09-16-22, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Just finished watching it. My first thought is that I applaud the people behind this remake for not simply doing a shot-by-shot rehash of its Austrian predecessor. When I saw how the American version started differently, I had hopes that it would try to change things up a bit to surprise people who are familiar with the original. The remake definitely does that, changing some of the plot details and taking a detour in the last act.

Having said all this, I found this new version a lot less intense than the original. The remake feels like it was toned down to try to give it wider appeal; the sadism in the Austrian film has been removed completely, leaving a declawed version of the story. With the changes to the plot, I went into the final minutes with a lot of trepidation, fearing that the new Goodnight Mommy would be another fiasco like the remake of The Vanishing. Fortunately it isn't, but the movie says something different than the original as it attempts to preserve the Austrian film's spirit while going in a slightly different direction.

Spoiler:
In the original movie, we see at the end that Elias's delusion has such a powerful hold over him that his mother's revelation about Lukas's death has no effect on the boy. Elias is traumatized to the point where he can't acknowledge reality at all which leads to the tragic ending.

In the remake, Elias becomes increasingly upset as his mother tries to get him to remember the tragedy that took Lukas's life. After he accidentally kills her, Elias sees his mom and Lukas and she tells him that nothing was his fault. The message in the remake seems to be that Elias can't accept responsibility for either the death of his mother or his brother which is suggested by his imagined family members absolving him of any blame.

I've never taken Psychology, but I thought the mother forcing her son to recall an event that's left him unable to accept the loss of his brother is probably not the smartest thing to do. I was concerned that Elias would be miraculously cured by remembering the accident that killed Lukas because that would condone the mom's actions. I'm glad the story largely kept to the original ending and thus delivers the lesson that forcing someone to confront an incredibly traumatic incident can't lead to anything good.

This remake isn't terrible, but it just doesn't have the same bite as the Austrian version. I suspect it'll work better for people not familiar with the original so I'm curious to hear from folks who've only seen this English language version.
Old 09-17-22, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Naomi gives it a good effort. I watched the original recently.
Old 09-17-22, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 732 Likes on 597 Posts

It had Watts so I had to check it out.

It was not horrible but not great either but a good time killer probably.