Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla vs. Kong (Wingard, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Godzilla vs. Kong (Wingard, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
2.33%
11.63%
34.88%
23.26%
13.95%
4.65%
4.65%
2.33%
0%
0%
2.33%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Godzilla vs. Kong (Wingard, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-21, 02:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Re: Godzilla vs. Kong (Wingard, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

that's not bad. not bad at all. just look at that US number. in another time, without this fucking virus, that would be triple. hell, i might have seen it in theaters, given reviews. unbelievable the impact of this dreaded disease in so so many ways. if you can't see at least the economic impact from that number nothing will convince ya...
Old 05-03-21, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Finally watched this (just before it left Max). Yeah, plot holes galore. I understand you can't just have two hours of fighting but man they had a way in with the whole human Kaiju thing and just wasted it being split across all these characters that I just don't care about and yet luck into being at the right place at the right time and having the exact right skills to do everything that needed to be done (I did chuckle at the html class line).

It was Martha levels of rolling my eyes when the little girl convinces Kong that the dude that almost killed him was not his enemy, then he goes and teams up flawlessly with Godzilla to take out Doomsday, I mean MG, and then they end up with some kind of mutual respect even though the whole premise of the movie is that there can be only one alpha and Godzilla has to like kill him. You'd think Godzilla would have the overwhelming advantage since he can shoot a laser through half the Earth, but that's countered by Kong's Flash-like speed to climb up a hole from the middle of the earth in a couple of minutes.

Also man MG was ugly.
Old 05-03-21, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Legendary needs to make a deal with the Kadokawa Corporation and bring Gamera to the MonsterVerse. My boyhood dream was to see Godzilla vs Gamera.
The following 2 users liked this post by The Valeyard:
IBJoel (05-04-21), John Pannozzi (06-23-21)
Old 05-04-21, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Gamera vs Godzilla would be fun.

From what I understand, Kadokawa would be willing to do a crossover with Godzilla, but Toho doesn't want to play ball. I wonder if Legendary could side-step Toho and cut a deal with Kadokawa, or if Toho has veto power of what Legendary does.

(I don't if I've ever actually seen a Gamera movie; I might have when I was a kid.)
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
IBJoel (05-04-21), John Pannozzi (06-23-21)
Old 05-04-21, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I would think Toho has veto rights over a lot: you also get into that age old problem of neither license holder wants their license to look weaker than the other in any way.

I would think that's why we haven't seen Bambi crossover into this universe yet...
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-23-21)
Old 05-04-21, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Gamera vs Godzilla would be fun.

From what I understand, Kadokawa would be willing to do a crossover with Godzilla, but Toho doesn't want to play ball. I wonder if Legendary could side-step Toho and cut a deal with Kadokawa, or if Toho has veto power of what Legendary does.

(I don't if I've ever actually seen a Gamera movie; I might have when I was a kid.)
Given how restrictive Toho is on things like DVD extra features, it's a good bet they wouldn't allow any type of side stepping like that. They probably even have enough veto power to not have to uphold their end of deals. IIRC, Sony was supposed to be able to have an exclusive time period to put out films after Godzilla 1998, but after it was perceived so poorly by audiences, Toho must have clawed back those rights and rushed Godzilla 2000 into production the very next year.
Old 06-21-21, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Finally

FWIW, it's the second highest grossing movie of the year in the U.S. , and it did most of its business with close to only 50% of movie theaters open at limited capacity and the option open to many to watch at home, whereas AQP 2 was a theater exclusive. Do I think AQP 2 was a better movie, yes. But this movie did accomplish something significant given the circumstances.
Old 08-26-21, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Watched last night and thought it was great. Way more fighting then expected. I was expecting slow burn up to the fighting.
When Kong sits on his throne with the battle axe I thought of Conan. KONG THE BARBARIAN!
The goofy conspiracy guy and the kids sucked. I understand their subplot was utilized to unfold what the evil corporation was up to. Saved us a Blofeld type monologue from villain. They should have dropped the kids and replaced conspiracy guy with Bond type undercover agent. Everything that happens to them happens to him instead.
Old 08-26-21, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Watched last night and thought it was great. Way more fighting then expected. I was expecting slow burn up to the fighting.
When Kong sits on his throne with the battle axe I thought of Conan. KONG THE BARBARIAN!
The goofy conspiracy guy and the kids sucked. I understand their subplot was utilized to unfold what the evil corporation was up to. Saved us a Blofeld type monologue from villain. They should have dropped the kids and replaced conspiracy guy with Bond type undercover agent. Everything that happens to them happens to him instead.

I kind of liked the conspiracy guy. They could have dropped the kids easily but I guess they wanted a link to the second movie, and Millie Bobbie Brown's name recognition.
Old 08-26-21, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,823 Likes on 1,224 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
It looked like the Kong on the throne shot was a direct reference to Conan -or at least that's what I want to believe.
Old 10-13-23, 12:08 PM

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Now on Amazon Prime. Good, clean Godzilla fun. I don't like Marvel movies because it's just CGI but CGI monsters fighting is ok. Maybe because it's not all that different than guys in rubber suits fighting. I like that it's relatively short, it could have lost the teenager sub-plot to bring it down to 90 minutes. But we need "kids in danger" and someone to do exposition. Silly Hollow Earth plot but maybe that reminded me of Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959).