Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stowaway (2021) -- S: Anna Kendrick, Toni Collette, Daniel Dae Kim, Shamier Anderson -- Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stowaway (2021) -- S: Anna Kendrick, Toni Collette, Daniel Dae Kim, Shamier Anderson -- Netflix

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-21, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

On a mission headed to Mars, an unintended stowaway accidentally causes severe damage to the spaceship’s life support systems. Facing dwindling resources and a potentially fatal outcome, the crew is forced to make an impossible decision. Directed by Joe Penna and starring Anna Kendrick, Daniel Dae Kim, Shamier Anderson and Toni Collette. Coming to Netflix April 22nd.

Old 03-24-21, 01:22 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
re: Stowaway (2021) -- S: Anna Kendrick, Toni Collette, Daniel Dae Kim, Shamier Anderson -- Netflix

Ridiculous premise, but could be good with that cast. I'll give it a try.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (03-25-21)
Old 03-24-21, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts
re: Stowaway (2021) -- S: Anna Kendrick, Toni Collette, Daniel Dae Kim, Shamier Anderson -- Netflix

^ Based on that short plot description, I’m thinking the stowaway is just a squirrel who chewed the ships wires?

I can’t help but think of Brad Pitt’s character in Ad Astra when I read the premise though. And that was pretty ridiculous.
Old 03-24-21, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 278 Likes on 232 Posts

I am with Bando, there has been a surprising number of films/shows lately that involve someone involved in a long-term space mission to go to Mars, etc., who end up having to deal with a crisis a jillion miles away from help on Earth. However, the cast for this film is rock solid so I am on-board.
John Pannozzi (03-25-21)
Old 03-24-21, 03:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
^ Based on that short plot description, I’m thinking the stowaway is just a squirrel who chewed the ships wires?
The trailer immediately explains it.

Looks pretty good from the trailer, I'll probably give it a spin.
Old 03-24-21, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
The trailer immediately explains it.
I miss funny Groucho.
Old 03-24-21, 11:02 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

The plot sounds a bit similar to the classic sci-fi short story The Cold Equations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cold_Equations

If anyone's interested, they can read the story here:

The Cold Equations - Lightspeed Magazine
Cellar Door (04-24-21)
Old 03-25-21, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

Anna Kendrick = Streaming Queen. This is her fourth different show for four different streaming services in the past 18 months (Noelle - Disney + , Love Life - HBO Max, Dummy - Quibi )
John Pannozzi (03-25-21)
Old 03-25-21, 07:41 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Anna Kendrick = Streaming Queen. This is her fourth different show for four different streaming services in the past 18 months (Noelle - Disney + , Love Life - HBO Max, Dummy - Quibi )
And voiced an animated series for Facebook Watch.
John Pannozzi (03-25-21)
Old 04-22-21, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Bump

This is up today
Old 04-22-21, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

At least it's a movie and not some series.
Old 04-22-21, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TomOpus
At least it's a movie and not some series.
I feel like every time a new Netflix original series comes out, there’s virtually no excitement for it. This forum is probably like ugh that’s 8 to 10 more hours of backlog that I have no time for.
Old 04-22-21, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
I feel like every time a new Netflix original series comes out, there’s virtually no excitement for it. This forum is probably like ugh that’s 8 to 10 more hours of backlog that I have no time for.
Just seems like everything new is YA series that just isn't interesting to me. I'm close to dropping Netflix because of it.
Old 04-22-21, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Exactly, brotha, exactly.
Old 04-22-21, 03:52 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I feel like every time a new Netflix original series comes out, there’s virtually no excitement for it.
It's so hard to have "water cooler talk" about a series when all of the episodes are dumped in one go, since everybody is on a different episode.
Boondock Saint (04-23-21)
Old 04-22-21, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
It's so hard to have "water cooler talk" about a series when all of the episodes are dumped in one go, since everybody is on a different episode.
It also doesn't help that most of the series Netflix is putting out now are pretty blah and banal.

It doesn't seem like they've had many mainstream hits like House of Cards or Orange is the New Black in a while. And Stranger Things, but that hasn't really been buzzy or water coolerly since the first season.

I think Tiger King was the last one that really captured the public's imagination. Which was funny at first, then you realize those are real people and it's all true, then it became depressing.

Old 04-23-21, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Really didn't enjoy this starting with why this person was able to stow away. Didn't buy it. And it went down from there. Ending was kinda meh.
Old 04-24-21, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I liked this, a lot. It was intense and incredibly sad. All four leads turned in really strong performances. I had never heard of Shamier Anderson before and was especially impressed by him. He has such a kind face and a sweet soul. You really root for him. Two thumbs way up. 8.5/10 rating.
Old 04-24-21, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

This was decent, but it felt like a sketch of a movie with a lot left out, including an ending. The four performances were good and it had some nice scenes, but was fairly forgettable overall.
Old 04-24-21, 02:53 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
This was decent, but it felt like a sketch of a movie with a lot left out, including an ending. The four performances were good and it had some nice scenes, but was fairly forgettable overall.
Agree with this.

There are worse ways to spend two hours than to watch Anna Kendrick as an adorably sweet doctor/astronaut.
Old 04-24-21, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The whole thing made no sense. The stowaway was in the rocket that brought them up. The air thingy that he damaged was in there. The whole other space lab living area had no air thingy? And only one on a 2 year mission?
Old 04-24-21, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Watched about 45 minutes. Snooooozefest.

There have been a lot of these “realistic” space movies these days. And a majority of them have been duds.

For the recent movies, I’ve only liked Interstellar, The Martian, and Life (2017)

Last edited by MLBFan24; 04-25-21 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-25-21, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk God

I finished this yesterday. For a movie with only 4 principal actors, it's pretty long. But, there was some good acting and some good dramatic tension. But, the idea of how Michael got trapped in the overhead of the ship and left unconscious without anyone knowing he was missing was a little bit of a stretch.

The ending felt abrupt and incomplete. But, I guess we're supposed to assume that:

Spoiler:

Kendrick's Zoey died from the radiation poisoning and the fate of the crew was left open for interpretation.

Old 04-25-21, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I felt this had really strong performances, but was too poorly written to be anything but barely average. Too many perfectly timed coincidences, too many unanswered questions. Wanted it to be better than it was.
Spoiler:
Why was timing critical about filling the tanks? Once the (oh-so-conveniently-timed) solar storm hit, why couldn't they abort the mission and just try again a few hours later? They still had days remaining before things became critical. Was it because of the leaking air? No one has duct tape in space?

Old 04-25-21, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
I felt this had really strong performances, but was too poorly written to be anything but barely average. Too many perfectly timed coincidences, too many unanswered questions. Wanted it to be better than it was.
Spoiler:
Why was timing critical about filling the tanks? Once the (oh-so-conveniently-timed) solar storm hit, why couldn't they abort the mission and just try again a few hours later? They still had days remaining before things became critical. Was it because of the leaking air? No one has duct tape in space?

It was so obvious that was coming. I was expecting solar flares once they went out to space walk.

And how the fuck do you have a stowaway and not know about it upon take-off?

A really stupid movie. 2 hours I won't get back.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.