Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stowaway (2021) -- S: Anna Kendrick, Toni Collette, Daniel Dae Kim, Shamier Anderson -- Netflix

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stowaway (2021) -- S: Anna Kendrick, Toni Collette, Daniel Dae Kim, Shamier Anderson -- Netflix

Old 04-25-21, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Stowaway (2021) -- S: Anna Kendrick, Toni Collette, Daniel Dae Kim, Shamier Anderson -- Netflix

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I felt this had really strong performances, but was too poorly written to be anything but barely average. Too many perfectly timed coincidences, too many unanswered questions. Wanted it to be better than it was.
Spoiler:
Why was timing critical about filling the tanks? Once the (oh-so-conveniently-timed) solar storm hit, why couldn't they abort the mission and just try again a few hours later? They still had days remaining before things became critical. Was it because of the leaking air? No one has duct tape in space?

From my understanding, once they tapped into the liquid oxygen line, it would start leaking so they had to fill up as much as they could before all of it leaked out into space. Basically, it was a one-shot mission.
Old 04-25-21, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts
re: Stowaway (2021) -- S: Anna Kendrick, Toni Collette, Daniel Dae Kim, Shamier Anderson -- Netflix

Maybe it would have been a completely different movie if all the characters were selfish and decided one of them had to go and not just focused on the stowaway.

Maybe Kendrick was miscast since you don't think of her doing serious dramatic roles.
Old 04-26-21, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 179 Likes on 150 Posts

I thought it was fine but not that different from so many space movies I’ve seen before. Good cast, though.
Old 04-26-21, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts

It would have been a more interesting movie if it turned out the stowaway had purposefully hidden because he thought it was the only way he’d get on a Mars mission. That would still stretch credulity, but could be a bit more believable than how it happened.

I thought it was ridiculous the captain would let the ship’s doctor sacrifice herself when the botanist was willing to do so. A month into a 2-year mission, I would be pretty reticent to let the doctor go.

Also, I think the whole feel of the movie would have been improved if they stretched it out. Give them enough oxygen that they can make it 20 months with all four of them and have things get really bad when they’re halfway home. With everything in the movie happening so soon after launch and no real conclusion to the story, my main feeling when it ended was that the three left on the ship were likely fucked.
Old 04-26-21, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts

I am glad I have read this thread...no need to waste my time it sounds terrible.

Old 04-26-21, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post

I thought it was ridiculous the captain would let the ship’s doctor sacrifice herself when the botanist was willing to do so. A month into a 2-year mission, I would be pretty reticent to let the doctor go.

This, the botanist already said his mission had no further use after all the plants died. He had no further use. And why was the Dr doing all the mechanical stuff? Why wasn’t there an engineer on board? Stupid, just stupid.
Old 05-17-21, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 280 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: Stowaway (2021) -- S: Anna Kendrick, Toni Collette, Daniel Dae Kim, Shamier Anderson -- Netflix

I watched this last night. It's watchable, but not really good, and the whole "astronauts must do harrowing space-walk to repair something or they will all die" is a tired trope.