Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fabelmans (2022, D: Spielberg) - S: Williams, Rogen, Dano, LaBelle, Butters

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-21, 08:34 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Steven Spielberg’s next feature film is picking up steam as he has found the next A-lister to join the ensemble of the film which is loosely based on the director’s childhood growing up in Arizona. Sources tell Deadline that Seth Rogen is set to play the favorite uncle of young Spielberg in the untitled pic from Amblin that already has Michelle Williams on board to play a role inspired by Spielberg’s mom, but with a separate and original voice.

Given how personal the story is, this also will mark the first time since 2001’s A.I. that Spielberg will partake in screenwriting duties, co-writing the script with Tony Kushner, who has penned several Spielberg movies. The film will start shooting this summer with an expectation it will be released sometime in 2022. Spielberg, Kushner and Kristie Macosko Krieger are producers.

As with anything that involves Spielberg, the casting process has been super secretive, leading to the town buzzing at who would land these coveted roles of the family and friends that inspired the filmmaker growing up. With the adult roles coming together, Spielberg now will look to cast the remaining roles, which includes children at multiple age levels, one of which will play the part inspired by the young storyteller.

Throughout the years, Spielberg has talked about how growing up in Arizona was an inspiration for so many of his films from story themes to actual characters. The 2017 HBO documentary Spielberg came the closest to diving into his past, but this will be the first time Spielberg is truly able to give perspective on the early years of one cinema’s greatest storytellers.
https://deadline.com/2021/03/steven-...le-1234719603/
Old 03-23-21, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts
re: The Fabelmans (2022, D: Spielberg) - S: Williams, Rogen, Dano, LaBelle, Butters

Finn Wolfhard seems like a perfect choice for a teenage Spielberg.

The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (07-27-21)
Old 07-27-21, 02:18 PM

re: The Fabelmans (2022, D: Spielberg) - S: Williams, Rogen, Dano, LaBelle, Butters

Steven Spielberg has added a new generation to the fictional family at the center of his semi-autobiographical film, which has the working title of “The Fabelmans.”

Oscar nominees Judd Hirsch (“Ordinary People,” “Independence Day”) and Jeannie Berlin (“The Heartbreak Kid,” “Succession”), and veteran stage and screen actors Robin Bartlett (“Mad About You,” “American Horror Story”) and Jonathan Hadary (“Veep,” “Girls5eva”) will play the older relatives of a young, aspiring filmmaker — played by Gabriel LaBelle (“The Predator”) — who is loosely based on Spielberg’s experiences as a kid in Arizona.

Hirsch, Berlin, Bartlett and Hadary are joining a high-powered ensemble cast led by Michelle Williams and Paul Dano, who are playing versions of Spielberg’s late mother and father; Seth Rogen, who is based on Spielberg’s favorite uncle; Julia Butters, playing the stand-in for Spielberg’s sister; and Sam Rechner, Oakes Fegley, Chloe East and Isabelle Kusman, who are playing high school classmates.

Spielberg co-wrote the screenplay with regular collaborator Tony Kushner (“Lincoln,” “West Side Story”), and both men are producing the film with Kristie Macosko Krieger, backed by Amblin Partners. Production is currently underway, with a release planned for 2022.
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/s...ns-1235027950/
Old 07-27-21, 04:17 PM

I have never heard of Gabriel Labelle. I assume that he killed it on the audition. He's not much of a dead ringer in appearance

Old 07-27-21, 04:32 PM

I don’t think looking like him is a requirement…
Old 07-27-21, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Since this doesn’t sound like “The Steven Spielberg Story” and is just loosely based on Spielberg’s childhood, I’m ok with the kid not being a dead ringer.

I wonder if this movie will cover his entrance into Hollywood, which is a “Truth is stranger than fiction” situation that’s so unbelievable that no one would buy it.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
IBJoel (06-23-22), John Pannozzi (07-27-21)
Old 07-27-21, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by dex14
Sure. But I think the overall look is important to the character. If Spielberg looked like a Matinee idol growing up, he might not have ended up as creative as he was.
Old 07-27-21, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I mean they could at least have gotten a child with a beard.

Last edited by Toddarino; 07-28-21 at 01:07 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Toddarino:
JeremyM (11-23-22), Rocketsfan (09-12-22)
Old 08-09-21, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I thought Ready Player One was the worst movie of his career. I hated it. I’m really excited for this though. I’m glad he’s going from probably the least personal film he’s ever made to what one would assume will be the most personal film of his career.
Old 02-04-22, 01:51 PM

David Lynch has joined the cast of Steven Spielberg’s upcoming drama “The Fabelmans,” Variety has learned. His role remains a closely guarded secret.

“The Fabelmans” will mark the first collaboration between Lynch and Spielberg, both seminal directorial talents that emerged in the 1970’s. Lynch has accumulated a celebrated body of work over the course of his filmmaking career, drawing acclaim for directing films such as “Mulholland Drive,” “Eraserhead,” “Blue Velvet,” “The Straight Story” and “Lost Highway.” His 1980 historical drama “The Elephant Man” received eight Oscar nominations, including one for Lynch’s directing, while his crime romance “Wild at Heart” won the Palme d’Or at the 1990 Cannes Film Festival. Lynch received a second Oscar nomination for best director for “Mulholland Drive.” His most recent feature, “Inland Empire,” was released in 2006, inspiring praise from critics groups.

Lynch is also one of the minds behind the television series “Twin Peaks,” which he co-created with Mark Frost. Lynch directed six episodes in the series’ two-season run in the 1990’s, as well as the 1992 prequel film “Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.” In 2017, Lynch returned to “Twin Peaks,” directing an 18-episode sequel series for Showtime.

Beyond directing, Lynch has done the odd acting gig. He played FBI agent Gordon Cole across all iterations of “Twin Peaks” and his other credits range from guest appearances on “Louie” and “The Cleveland Show” to a supporting role in the 2017 Harry Dean Stanton vehicle “Lucky.”

Though Spielberg is currently immersed in a flurry of awards conversation for his reimagining of “West Side Story,” the director is also in post-production on “The Fabelmans.” Universal Pictures has set a release date around the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday.

While plot details remain under wraps, “The Fabelmans” is described as a semi-autobiographical project, drawing from Spielberg’s time growing up in Arizona.

Lynch joins a cast that includes Michelle Williams, Seth Rogen, Paul Dano, Julia Butters and newcomer Gabriel LaBelle. Williams and Dano are expected to take on characters drawn from Spielberg’s parents, while Rogen’s role is said to be influenced by Spielberg’s uncle. LaBelle stars as aspiring filmmaker Sammy, a Spielberg analog, while Butters portrays his sister, Anne. “The Fabelmans” ensemble also features Judd Hirsch, Sam Rechner, Oakes Fegley, Chloe East, Julia Butters, Jeannie Berlin, Robin Bartlett, Jonathan Hadary and Isabelle Kusman.

Spielberg co-wrote the script with his frequent collaborator, Tony Kushner, marking the director’s first screenplay credit since 2001’s “A.I. Artificial Intelligence.” The pair recently teamed on “West Side Story,” with previous collaborations including 2005’s “Munich” and 2012’s “Lincoln.” Spielberg and Kushner also serve as producers, alongside Kristie Macosko Krieger.
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/d...rg-1235172006/
Old 02-04-22, 02:08 PM

Re: The Fabelmans (2022, D: Spielberg) - S: Williams, Rogen, Dano, LaBelle, Butters

Unexpected, but cool!
Old 06-23-22, 07:04 AM

Re: The Fabelmans (2022, D: Spielberg) - S: Williams, Rogen, Dano, LaBelle, Butters

Universal Pictures announced today that Steven Spielberg’s latest film The Fabelmans will open exclusively in L.A. and NY on Friday, November 11—expanding on the film’s previously announced release date of November 23rd.
https://deadline.com/2022/06/steven-...se-1234885646/
Old 09-11-22, 09:01 AM

Reviews from TIFF:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_fabelmans
Old 09-11-22, 09:32 AM

Old 11-21-22, 06:28 AM

Expands to a wide release on Wednesday.

Old 11-23-22, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Well, I didn’t figure this to be considered an arthouse release but neither of my local theaters are getting this. Unreal.

Yet somehow, they both got She Said, a movie that probably me and like 5 other people on earth want to see.
Old 11-23-22, 02:46 PM

It’s not playing at many of my local theatres either. I wonder if they’ll put it in more theatres next week. I’m planning on seeing it on Friday.
Old 11-23-22, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

This was really good. A lot of the family moments and filmmaking anecdotes were shared in interviews throughout his career, and it was cool to see them all play out in this way.
The following users liked this post:
Crocker Jarmen (11-23-22)
Old 11-24-22, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

For some reason I got lucky and this came to one of my local theaters. Caught this yesterday and I would say this movie is to Spielberg what Almost Famous was to Cameron Crowe: a highly fictionalized account of actual events for the director in his youth. If you are a fan of Steven Spielberg and his movies, this is a must view. While he may not be a dead ringer for now, I thought by the end of the move LaBelle looked pretty dang close to the Spielberg who made Jaws. I remember from interviews back in the day him talking of the rough experience of his parents' divorce and dealing with anti-semitism when moving to CA, so that was obviously based on fact. It was also cool seeing some Easter eggs sprinkled throughout that were obvious early inspirations for moments in his movies.

I didn't even know David Lynch was in the movie until I saw it, and it took me a while to recognize him, but it's a great moment!
The following 3 users liked this post by Dr. DVD:
[email protected] (01-04-23), DJariya (01-01-23), philo (11-24-22)
Old 11-24-22, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I didn't even know David Lynch was in the movie until I saw it, and it took me a while to recognize him, but it's a great moment!
Been looking forward to seeing his part in the movie since hearing about it. What I'd give to see both of them filming the scene or just talking.
Old 11-24-22, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

So enjoyable. I could have watched another hour of this, would loved to have seen the beginning of Spielberg's studio career dramatized. It took me a few minutes to realize who was playing Benny, the "uncle". This has got to be the best performance I've ever seen him give.
Old 11-25-22, 12:52 AM

I loved it. So cool to see something this autobiographical from one of the all time greats. And seeing so many of the stories that I had heard about in books, interviews and that HBO Documentary. It must be hard to be that honest about yourself and be able to mine a film about just your own early life. Didn't expect it to be exactly as it was, thought it was going to be more of a love letter to movies, but I like this better.
Michelle Williams was outstanding. Oscar nominee for sure. The lead actor was really good as well.
Old 11-27-22, 11:11 AM

I was hoping more would people here would see it this weekend, but I guess not. (Apparently it only made $2.2M on 600 screens this weekend — a huge box office disappointment). I watched some of the Spielberg doc again on HBO. It’s amazing how much of this movie is directly taken from Spielberg’s real life. There’s a shot included in the doc of Steven filmed of his mom clinging to a tree at a camp site as she swings back and forth, exactly like Williams does in the film. Plus plenty of discussion of the monkey (apparently Steven’s dad actually liked it!).

I saw Jeffery Wells ask a very salient question : If this movie wasn’t tied directly to Steven Spielberg’s life, if it were just a family drama, would it still be considered a great film. I actually don’t know the answer to that. I’d like to think so — it’s well made, moving, well-acted. But the fact that it is autobiographical, so honest, and an informative historical document by and on one of cinema’s all-time greats elevates it so much. Who wouldn’t have wanted to see this sort of a movie made by Hitchcock or Billy Wagner or John Huston — or John Ford?

Last edited by Decker; 11-27-22 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-27-22, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

Is this playing in many theatres? Seems like lots of people are posting in this thread the movie isn't at their cinemas.

I don't think I consider this a "great" film, but it is certainly a very good one, better than most. I didn't see that Spielberg documentary and don't know much of anything about his growing up, and the story and its emotions worked as perfectly for me as if it were a family drama about fictional characters.
Old 11-27-22, 11:57 AM

I enjoyed it overall.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.