Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
10.94%
14.06%
39.06%
15.63%
6.25%
4.69%
4.69%
1.56%
1.56%
1.56%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-21, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

According to Snyder

I would destroy the movie, I would set it on fire, before I would use a single frame that I did not photograph.
and

That is a fucking hard fact. I literally would blow that thing up, if I thought for a second…Anything you see in this movie that reminds you of the theatrical release — which again, famously, I literally have never seen — would be because that was a thing that I had done, and was being borrowed for whatever, that Frankenstein’s monster that you got in the theater.

Source: https://collider.com/zack-snyder-jus...hedon-footage/

So any footage in the Whedon version that was in the Snyder Cut was shot by Snyder it would seem.
Old 03-19-21, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Re: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by New Lurker
Lois is the key is what Flash says in the vision. Lois was the key. When they bring Superman back to life he kicks the shit out of them until Lois gets him to remember who he was. Had Lois not been there, he would have killed them and Steppenwolf would have been successful. It's Martian Manhunter as a Martha look alike that gets Lois out of her funk and essentially puts her into place. Which doesn't totally fit. But that's how I took the scene and felt it was enough of a pay off. As you see later on in Bruce's dream sequence, if Lois gets killed Superman snaps and joins Darkseid.
Flash also says "you're right about him, you've always been right about him. Fear him"
I get that you could say Flash is just warning him about Supes if Lois is dead and he turns bad, however that warning makes no sense at that moment.

I haven't seen the movie yet but does Batman do something so save Lois? Does the Flash going back like that actually motivate him to do something differently that results in a timeline where Superman doesn't turn bad?
Old 03-19-21, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Flash also says "you're right about him, you've always been right about him. Fear him"
I get that you could say Flash is just warning him about Supes if Lois is dead and he turns bad, however that warning makes no sense at that moment.

I haven't seen the movie yet but does Batman do something so save Lois? Does the Flash going back like that actually motivate him to do something differently that results in a timeline where Superman doesn't turn bad?
Batman brings Lois to the memorial, which is what snaps Superman out of his need for a post-death coffee.

I watched most of this on my iPad, so the aspect ratio didn’t bother me.
Old 03-19-21, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
So any footage in the Whedon version that was in the Snyder Cut was shot by Snyder it would seem.
Yeah, I should’ve referenced that when I posted my original thoughts on the Snyder version. Given that I’d seen those comments, I was really surprised how much of the footage is in both. Other than the opening with the criminal on the roof, Flash and the sharpie in prison and the goofy save-the-family bit at the end, it felt like almost of all of what we got from Whedon was in the Snyder cut. Whedon also added some extra lines here and there, but it feels like he did less of a full rework than just following the studio’s directive to get it under two hours. There are lots of scenes that use the same footage in both, but Whedon cut them down to be much shorter.

Honestly, the Snyder cut makes me feel a bit more forgiving of the original’s weaknesses. Snyder shot a 3-hour movie when the studio wanted a 2-hour one. Whedon didn’t really have a great way to do that. And now, thanks to the Snyder cut, we can choose between versions that either an hour shorter or an hour longer than they should be.

Originally Posted by fujishig
No, that was going to be in one of the next two movies in the trilogy.
Old 03-19-21, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

In the Knightmare scenario, the death of Lois demoralizes Superman enough that it allows Darkseid to control Superman using the Anti-Life equation.
Old 03-19-21, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
According to Snyder

and

Source: https://collider.com/zack-snyder-jus...hedon-footage/

Since he has never seen the Whedon version how would he know that Whedon did use some of his footage? You gonna force him to watch it or something? Come on.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 03-19-21 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-19-21, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by New Lurker
I'll get this out of the way up front. I pitched a bitch over the aspect ratio in the other thread. I still think it was a bad decision. But as the movie flowed I got lost in it and didn't notice it as much as I thought I would. I still think you should paint your picture for the canvas you have (HBO Max on 16:9 TVs), not the canvas you want (IMAX theaters 4:3).

I really enjoyed it. Far superior to the Whedon cut. Not a perfect movie mind you. But very very enjoyable. The stakes felt much grander and much more real. It also connected so much better to the previous two movies in the series. Whoever said this isn't the cut we would have got if Snyder stayed on, I agree. It would have been an edited down inferior cut. But for a 4 hour movie, there's not a lot that I felt was inessential. It all felt plot driven and necessary. Each character gets highlighted and time to shine.

Cyborg is clearly a much better character in this version, and gets a proper introduction. Flash still had some light moments and funny quips, but far less than the original. Which is good in my opinion. He feels more real in this vs a caricature in the original. Everything just makes sense. No more tacked on Russian family. Much more of a cohesive vision on why Steppenwolf is there / background on why Earth would be so important to Darksied. Just far superior in every way.

The epilogue sets up a movie I would very much like to see. I really don't think we'll get it. But that Knightmare scene had such a random pairing of contrasting characters. Now I may have misunderstood some of the Batman Joker banter. But how I took it was they insinuated Joker was the reason Lois Lane died. And that was the catalyst to why Superman snapped and joined Darkseid. In the process Superman killed Aquaman. And that lead to a successful takeover for Darksied. I have no idea why Deathstroke was with the group but Mera made sense. And I'd love for a film with a portion of that future. A threat so massive the villains and heroes have to team up. The wake up / a clearly not yoked current day Affleck meeting Martian Manhunter was whatever. But man. Shocked how much more I liked this version than I was expecting too.

I voted 3.5 over all am pleasantly surprised. There's definitely a chance WB sees all the positivity around this and decide for a DCEU HBO Max finale film. It's like 1 in a million. But you're telling me there's a chance! /Lloyd Christmas

Superman didn't kill Aquaman. Darkseid did. You clearly see it when Darkseid stabs him with his own trident and impales him on one of those concrete columns in the water. That's why Mera wants revenge at the end in the epilogue. However Lois dies, looks like she gets burned to death since Superman is holding her skeleton. Obviously Superman blames Batman from what we saw in BVS.
Old 03-19-21, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Good movie, this story absolutely needed a slower pace. Still, the runtime could have been cut by 30 minutes, but not more than that. The epilogue scene did not quite fit unless they are setting up a future movie. I very much liked the longer screen time of Flash, and I agree that his dialogue should have been given a more serious tone.
Whedon's version was garbage. The narrative there was jarry and did not fit. Here it does. Cyborg's expanded storytime was an excellent addition
The fight scenes were better, the final battle scene was better, everything was better
Old 03-19-21, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I laughed when DC was planning a Cyborg movie.

Now I really, really want one. There are so many directions you could go with that character. Create a new Challengers of the Unknown with him, Mister Terrific, Dr. Midnight, Mister Miracle, Zatanna, Hawkgirl, The Atom, Dr. Light, Captain Atom, and Blue Beetle. I mean, why not? Have them chartered by the DoD like S.T.A.R. Labs, to investigate scientific anomalies around the Earth/Solar System.

Plenty of diversity there too, to satisfy that need. Cyborg as the tech guru, Terrific as team leader and science advisor, Dr. Midnight for biomedical, Mister Miracle for infiltrations, Zatanna for mystical, Hawkgirl as field commander and buttkicker, The Atom for microscopic/atomic knowledge, Captain Atom for quantum mechanics, and Blue Beetle for comic relief.

In fact screw a movie, make this an HBO Max series. Like a cosmic superhero X-Files or something.

I chased Xanax with Buffalo Trace. It's been such a week... :-\
The following 2 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
majorjoe23 (03-19-21), Why So Blu? (03-19-21)
Old 03-19-21, 09:21 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

This was better than expected

Superman scenes were so good

so was Flash turning back time

so, so much better than the the first movie we got
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (03-19-21)
Old 03-19-21, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I watched Justice League yesterday for the first time since the theater. Watched Snyder's cut today. Definitely better. Cyborg was more interesting. Steppenwolf looked and sounded more intimidating.

The epilogue chapter was the most interesting with Joker's appearance as well as Deathstroke. By the way, who is a rip off of who, Deathstroke or Deadpool?

Old 03-19-21, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

wearetheborg (03-19-21)
Old 03-19-21, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And kudos to Snyder for bringing us Asian hero Ryan Choi. His role was small in this but it was more than a simple cameo.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-19-21 at 11:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Giantrobo:
wearetheborg (03-19-21), Why So Blu? (03-19-21)
Old 03-19-21, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I guess i missed that Lois...
Spoiler:
Is pregnant? Was pregnant? Im confused about the timing

Old 03-19-21, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I guess i missed that Lois...
Spoiler:
Is pregnant? Was pregnant? Im confused about the timing

We saw Force Majeure pregnancy test in her nightstand drawer when she got out her Daily Planet badge.
Old 03-20-21, 12:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
We saw Force Majeure pregnancy test in her nightstand drawer when she got out her Daily Planet badge.
I don't think it was with Clark. Can you imagine what the force of ejaculation would do to a human female
Old 03-20-21, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts

I’m through the first 3 parts so I’ll give a few quick impressions for the first half. First of all, this has been really good so far. The story is much more cohesive and the characters have been able to be far more fleshed out. It’s refreshing to see a superhero movie slowly unfold rather than through a ton of chaotic action tossed at the screen for two hours. Steppenwolf also looks MUCH better in this version.

That being said, this movie would be an hour and a half long if Snyder didn’t use all that damn slo-mo! Also, IMO, the 1.33:1 aspect ratio was a mistake. There are FEET of empty space at the top and bottom of the screen for a lot of shots. There have been a few well framed shots so far but for every shot that makes good use of the 1.33:1 aspect ratio, there’s a dozen shots that feel claustrophobic and crunched. A shifting aspect ratio would have worked better. And make no mistake, I think there are some beautiful shots so far. If nothing else, Snyder has an eye for visuals!

Overall, I’m enjoying it.I’ll finish parts 4-7 tomorrow evening.
IBJoel (03-20-21)
Old 03-20-21, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Just finished it watching it with my 17-year old son who has no interest in DC movies in general and has only seen WW and WW84 - but he likes pop culture and likes watching movies with me.

Here are my thoughts:
  • Wonder Woman is the best part. Aquaman is a distant second (he's worse in this version than Whedon's). Everyone else is boring (Batfleck) to terrible (Cyborg).
  • Cut everything with Flash and Cyborg and it's a better movie. Fisher is the weakest link in the whole thing.
  • I laughed out loud at how stupid the first Martian Manhunter moment is. It literally makes no sense and if it had just been cut (but his conversation with Lois as Martha left intact), everything would have worked better.
  • Do you want your symbolism subtle? This is not the movie for you. They'll show it, then explain it, then explain it again. I'm surprised someone didn't say that Superman was just like Jesus because that couldn't have been more of an anvil-over-the-head moment
  • It is INCREDIBLY boring. Scenes that should be cut go on three times longer than necessary. Think a scene is over? There's 3 more unnecessary minutes on the way, don't worry. There's a reason they don't let directors do whatever they want without editors.
  • The 4x3 is so stupid and makes the entire film feel cramped. Another DUMB decision from Snyder.
  • Superman's entrance at the last fight finally gave the thing some much needed life and energy and he just kicks the shit out of Steppenwolf, proving once again that unless you're fighting a monster made of Kryptonite, every other JLA member is useless once Superman shows up.
  • Every slow-ass song that was added in felt out of place - perfect example was the car crash with Iris. Felt like I was watching the last 3 minutes of a Scrubs episode.
  • I think Steppenwolf said he "smelled the Motherbox" on people 127 times.
  • Steppenwolf discovers that the Equation is on Earth after we've seen it on Earth as Darkseid fights Atlanteans, Amazons and humans. They already knew it was there. That was just one of the disjointed moments throughout.
  • I was genuinely uncomfortable when the women in the village started singing that creepy-as-shit song when Aquaman was going into the ocean (did you miss him taking his clothes off and slow-walking into the sea? Don't worry, he'll do it two more times.)
  • Ah the return of Meera making air bubbles so she can talk to people. Do Atlanteans not talk unless Meera is around? The Aquaman movie solved this by just...having them talk underwater. What a concept!
  • The Epilogue was completely unnecessary and dragged the movie on even further. Snyder knows he's not making another one of these - why bother adding a cliffhanger back in? Ah, that's right - no one is saying "pump the brakes, guy" on this one.
  • Batman uses three vehicles in this movie and all of them are destroyed after they do one thing. I'd like at least one of these multi-million dollar vehicles to last longer than 2 minutes. Except for the ship at the end, which apparently Cyborg could completely fix despite it being a burning wreckage.
  • Speaking of - Cyborg can fix plastic too? Pretty slick how he recreated that tape recorder through...magic? What a stupid character.
  • Did I mention it's long? The Whedon version, the mess that it is, is preferable on duration alone.
If you liked it, I am truly glad for you. I genuinely like it when people like things. It just wasn't for me at all.
IBJoel (03-20-21)
Old 03-20-21, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Yeah i heard. I didn't see it on 1st viewing
Old 03-20-21, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
If you liked it, I am truly glad for you. I genuinely like it when people like things. It just wasn't for me at all.
While I do share some of your points, the creepy song, Steppenwolf's enlightenment moment and the taking his shirt of Aquaman, it kind of reads like you had your opinion made up before you watched the movie. Perhaps it's just the way you wrote it, but it reads like a self fulfilling prophecy.
whotony (03-26-21)
Old 03-20-21, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Yeah, some people's minds were made up long before watching as evidenced by the incessant shitposting in the lead up thread. Not sure why they'd even bother spending 4 hours on something they hate so badly.

As for the movie, I loved it. For the most part it was better all around. I'm going on memory though, I didn't rewatch the original leading up to this.

- Full frame was dumb. I have a 10' screen and that alleviated a bit, but it still was a poor choice.
- The score seemed like an improvement but was sad to see Elfman's Batman theme and Williams' Superman theme gone. Score 1 for Josstice League on that one.
- I wasn't a fan of the random pop songs during the film. Save that silliness for the credits or trailers. Didn't help that none of the songs chosen did anything for me.
- I missed Aquaman sitting on the Lasso of Truth on the ship.
- Similarly, Bruce Wayne taunting Aquaman with "I hear you talk to fish" was funny, sorry to see that go too.
- Batman seemed to have less to do during the final battle? I don't recall the original but everyone's fighting the good fight and he's just cruising around the town? Seemed weird.
- Looks like Affleck lost some weight. Some of the newer scenes he was clearly leaner in the face.
- Flash is growing on me. I didn't outright hate him in the TC but he only had a few decent moments. He seemed more likable in this.
- On the flipside, Flash seemed useless when they went to rescue the 9 scientists. In the TC didn't he run everyone out of the building? So in the Snyder Cut, he just runs up and down the stairs checking on people? Pretty lame.
- Cyborg was a huge improvement and also somewhat likable for such an emotionless brooding character. I mean he's supposed to have some remaining humanity in him right? That's what Snyder was trying to get across, but Fisher's performance didn't really have the gravitas to pull it off. I don't recall Fisher's beef with WB, but even after this version he's easily replaceable (if they were to continue on in some way)
- Steppenwolf was my biggest beef in the TC because he looked like a video game villain, he was a straight badass in this version.
- The addition of DeSaad was weird.
- Darkseid wasn't bad for what it was... leading up to a sequel film that will never happen.
- Eisenberg was still terrible. He's only in a single scene, they should have recast it.
- Cool seeing Martian Manhunter. I like how Snyder played it as MM didn't want to get involved in human affairs until he saw the JL together as a team.
- Black suit Superman looked cool but was pointless? Why? Unless there's a reason, I'll the red, blue and yellow anyday over that.
- Alternate timeline in the Epilogue was interesting but like the black suit is totally pointless given no sequel.
- Jared Leto, sigh. Sorry Eisenberg haters, Leto as the Joker is hands down THE absolute worst part of the DCEU so he gets a chance at a do over and it's somehow just as bad as the original incarnation? WTF? *shudder* so terrible. Part of me wants a sequel to see where all this goes, the other part says if Leto's Joker is involved I hope it never sees the light of day. Easy solution to that though, flip the roles and have Harley Quinn working with Batman and Joker's dead.

I'll be down for a BD/UHD in the future IF they put a widescreen version on there.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 03-20-21 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-20-21, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
The epilogue chapter was the most interesting with Joker's appearance as well as Deathstroke. By the way, who is a rip off of who, Deathstroke or Deadpool?
Deadpool was a ripoff of Deathstroke.
Old 03-20-21, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

The Snyder Cut gave me what I wished for. A consistent continuation of the Snyderverse. You may hate it, you may love it, but at least you now have a on going style and narrative. I like most of the MCU movies a lot, I don't hate one, but even those I like the least fit into the universe and that bothered me a lot with the TC. It continued a story but didn't feel like it.
Wonder Woman and Aquaman where lighter in tone, that's fine with me even within the DCEU, but they were never supposed to be the continuation of Man of Steel or BvS.
Watching the Snyder Cut there were a couple of scenes which could've been cut short which in total could have cut the movie to a more palatable length, but in the end I didn't mind the runtime. Cyborg isn't the most interesting character for me, but in this one at least he is a character.
Old 03-20-21, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
By the way, who is a rip off of who, Deathstroke or Deadpool?
Deathstroke was introduced in 1980. Deadpool in 1991. Deathstroke by a country mile.

And as far as fourth-wall breaking, Ambush Bug in 1982
Old 03-20-21, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
While I do share some of your points, the creepy song, Steppenwolf's enlightenment moment and the taking his shirt of Aquaman, it kind of reads like you had your opinion made up before you watched the movie. Perhaps it's just the way you wrote it, but it reads like a self fulfilling prophecy.
All of the marketing leading up to this made it look exactly how it ended up looking. And the Whedon version is a bad movie, so my assumption was that it would still be a bad movie but longer. It’s only a “self-fulfilling prophecy” because I knew what all of the pieces were.

A friend of mine who’s a movie critic loved it so that made me think there might be something there I was missing. And I was clear in the original thread that I’d put my money where my mouth was and do the time by watching the movie. And it’s a current pop culture milestone and I wanted to be part of the conversation.

But every step of the way, it was somehow worse than I thought it would be. So I wanted to share my opinion on that, as it’s impressive. At least the Whedon version had some humor. Snyder managed to remove all of that too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.