Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
10.94%
14.06%
39.06%
15.63%
6.25%
4.69%
4.69%
1.56%
1.56%
1.56%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-21, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I had to stop at the beginning of part 5 (right after the MM reveal about 2:20 in) to get ready for work. Hopefully the night is slow enough to finish up. I will say I’m loving it so far. I’ve been doing to Facebook version of “live tweeting” as I watch, and here are my comments so far:

1. How much does Aquaman spend on shirts? Twice already he’s gratuitously removed his shirt and tossed it aside to go into the ocean.

2. Aquaman’s conversation with Vulko contradicts the events of the Aquaman movie, if I’m remembering that movie correctly.

3. DeSaad CGI looks like crap.

4. A Green Lantern!!!!

5. And Zeus! The flashback to Darkseid’s first attempt to take Earth is badass.

6. Amazing Flash intro. Can they recast and give us this Iris on the tv show?

7. Doom Patrol Cyborg > DCEU Cyborg

8. Looks like Snyder has removed some Whedon-esque humor, such as “I hear you can talk to fish,” and Barry using his speed to draw on the guy behind him in line at the prison.

9. So is Star Labs in Gotham or Central City in this? It would almost have to be Gotham if Cyborg could see the Bat signal.
Unless they’re meant to be twin cities, but Batman v. Superman already showed Gotham and Metropolis as twin cities.

10. OMG at that revelation at the 2hr 20 minute mark! I won’t even say what it is here, it’d be a travesty to have that spoiled.

Old 03-18-21, 05:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I was actually really surprised by this - I thought other than the
Spoiler:
epilogue, that went on too long
Snyder's cut was vastly superior.
Old 03-18-21, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
8. Looks like Snyder has removed some Whedon-esque humor, such as “I hear you can talk to fish,” and Barry using his speed to draw on the guy behind him in line at the prison.

Yep. And the macabre humor between Barry and Cyborg was gone when they were digging up Clark's coffin.

9. So is Star Labs in Gotham or Central City in this? It would almost have to be Gotham if Cyborg could see the Bat signal.
Unless they’re meant to be twin cities, but Batman v. Superman already showed Gotham and Metropolis as twin cities.
Star Labs is in Metropolis where the Kryptonian ship had crashed during the invasion in MOS (IIRC). Cyborg I believe lives in Gotham since he played for the Gotham football team.

10. OMG at that revelation at the 2hr 20 minute mark! I won’t even say what it is here, it’d be a travesty to have that spoiled.

Well this is the spoiler review thread. But it was a great reveal.
Old 03-18-21, 05:37 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

I had to stop at the beginning of part 5 (right after the MM reveal about 2:20 in)

Well...
Old 03-18-21, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
About 10 mins in and just wanted to say the 4:3 is horrible

#releasethewidescreencut
Damnit, we all missed the obvious ...

RELEASE THE WIDER CUT!!!!
Old 03-18-21, 09:14 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I'll get this out of the way up front. I pitched a bitch over the aspect ratio in the other thread. I still think it was a bad decision. But as the movie flowed I got lost in it and didn't notice it as much as I thought I would. I still think you should paint your picture for the canvas you have (HBO Max on 16:9 TVs), not the canvas you want (IMAX theaters 4:3).

I really enjoyed it. Far superior to the Whedon cut. Not a perfect movie mind you. But very very enjoyable. The stakes felt much grander and much more real. It also connected so much better to the previous two movies in the series. Whoever said this isn't the cut we would have got if Snyder stayed on, I agree. It would have been an edited down inferior cut. But for a 4 hour movie, there's not a lot that I felt was inessential. It all felt plot driven and necessary. Each character gets highlighted and time to shine.

Cyborg is clearly a much better character in this version, and gets a proper introduction. Flash still had some light moments and funny quips, but far less than the original. Which is good in my opinion. He feels more real in this vs a caricature in the original. Everything just makes sense. No more tacked on Russian family. Much more of a cohesive vision on why Steppenwolf is there / background on why Earth would be so important to Darksied. Just far superior in every way.

The epilogue sets up a movie I would very much like to see. I really don't think we'll get it. But that Knightmare scene had such a random pairing of contrasting characters. Now I may have misunderstood some of the Batman Joker banter. But how I took it was they insinuated Joker was the reason Lois Lane died. And that was the catalyst to why Superman snapped and joined Darkseid. In the process Superman killed Aquaman. And that lead to a successful takeover for Darksied. I have no idea why Deathstroke was with the group but Mera made sense. And I'd love for a film with a portion of that future. A threat so massive the villains and heroes have to team up. The wake up / a clearly not yoked current day Affleck meeting Martian Manhunter was whatever. But man. Shocked how much more I liked this version than I was expecting too.

I voted 3.5 over all am pleasantly surprised. There's definitely a chance WB sees all the positivity around this and decide for a DCEU HBO Max finale film. It's like 1 in a million. But you're telling me there's a chance! /Lloyd Christmas
The following users liked this post:
Abob Teff (03-18-21)
Old 03-18-21, 09:56 PM

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

Just finished it after watching it in two parts. Leading up to it I watched Man Of Steel, BvS and the og Justice League.
It’s better than the Joss version for sure, but this isn’t a good film. It’s too long, it looks like a video game and for fucks sake Snyder lighten up with the fucking slow motion. The 4:3 decision was a dumb choice, but every once in a while I’d forget about it.
Ive always disliked the casting of Ezra. I’m not sure if Asperger’s Flash was his choice or the way it was written, but it sucks. That being said, at least he was fleshed out here and the jokey bullshit was reduced.
I don’t give a shit about Cyborg. I wish he wasn’t in this and a real Justice League member was there. Same as with the Flash though, I’m glad he got a proper story.
I really liked Martian Manhunter. Sucks he wasn’t there from the beginning. Loved seeing Deathstroke expanded a bit.
Leto Joker still sucks. At least it wasn’t the pimp version though.
I’m not laying all the blame on Snyder for the state of the DCEU. I think Joel mentioned in the other thread about how much he cared for these characters. I really feel the same way. I grew up with all these guys and it’s just frustrating to see them treated like this. The worst thing they did was cast Eisenberg as Luthor. In my opinion it’s one of the worst casting decisions in the last 20 years. The guy is unwatchable.
Old 03-18-21, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Not sure what to say other than WOW! Fastest 4 hours has ever felt. I started with the intent to watch it to the halfway point, but couldn't bring myself to stop. If this eventually makes it IMAX theaters, I'll be there (and for the record, the aspect ration didn't bother me in the least). I have no idea how this would have worked as a 2 or 2-1/2 hour movie, so I'm glad we got to "see it all". Every character is improved and has a stake in the game now. The action was very visceral and a site to behold, which I think benefited from the R rating. Chapter 6 had me jacked up the entire time, and the way Steppenwolf went out was pretty awesome.

I sure would love to see the rest of this story play out, and the fact that this cut exists means you can never say never.
Old 03-18-21, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Toddarino, you reminded me of a couple of things ...

I wish I had gone back and watched the rest leading up to it. I found I couldn’t remember what happened in which movie.

I agree the slow-mo was done a few too many times, but I wanted to say I appreciated that I could see and follow the action scenes. No overwhelming shaky cam or fast pans and cuts.

Yes, Eisenberg made me cringe as always. I had hoped that was going to be excised ...

David Thewlis was listed in the credits. Anybody see Ares?
Old 03-18-21, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Toddarino, you reminded me of a couple of things ...

I wish I had gone back and watched the rest leading up to it. I found I couldn’t remember what happened in which movie.

I agree the slow-mo was done a few too many times, but I wanted to say I appreciated that I could see and follow the action scenes. No overwhelming shaky cam or fast pans and cuts.

Yes, Eisenberg made me cringe as always. I had hoped that was going to be excised ...

David Thewlis was listed in the credits. Anybody see Ares?

You missed Ares? Dude, he nearly killed Darkseid in the flashback!
Old 03-18-21, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Bloated. Yes, it was better than Whedon's version but...
WW's introduction fight with the terrorists could have been cut.
What's that conversation like with Martha and Lois at the farm with Clark? "Hey, thanks for the pep talk, Martha." "What pep talk?"
The Christ imagery after Clark dons the black suit.
The whole epilogue unnecessary. Especially the dream sequence, hey Bruce, didn't you already have those thoughts about keeping Superman in check in BvS?
No pay off for the Flash time travel with Bruce's vision of his warning from BvS.
Tired of the slow mo while in super speed. CW Flash handles simulating super speed much better. Also no Flash origin, is he just gifted with the speed force? The saving of Iris is also unnecessary.
Why show a Lantern other than to acknowledge Lanterns exist? And he wasn't even needed in the original fight with Darkseid, the Atlanteans, Amazons and Gods were enough to defeat him, only to have a Lantern die.
Same with J'onn J'onzz. It's a wasted throwaway moment. If I were Bruce. I'd ask... "well, where the fuck were you when shit went down? Thanks for nothing."
Flash can't hold a job, but he sure has a lot of tech.
Still don't care for THIS Cyborg. They made him overpowered.
Also, no matter how hard she fights, WW is ready for her glamour photoshoot.
Old 03-19-21, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I think mediocre is about the highest praise I can muster for this. I nodded off about 90 minutes in, then woke up at the 3 hour mark and managed to get through the whole thing after rewinding to where I fell asleep.

Honestly, I was surprised how much of the Whedon movie was in this. For some reason, I had it in my head that around 70% of Whedon’s version was shot specifically for it. I would guess 3/4 of the original is in the Snyder cut, albeit edited a bit differently in spots and padded out with an extra 2.5 hours.

Snyder has a nice eye for visuals, but he’s just so wildly inconsistent. There’ll be a nice scene/character moment/bit of dialog/whatever, and then there’ll be something incredibly stupid or unnecessary immediately following it. I will say this was a marked improvement over Batman v Superman, but that’s a low bar to clear.

Oh, and the epilogue was a complete waste. Leto’s Joker came off like someone trying to blend Ledger’s take with a Matt Frewer impersonation. Hopefully that’s the last we ever see of him in the role.
Old 03-19-21, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
You missed Ares? Dude, he nearly killed Darkseid in the flashback!
The guy with the dark hair and dark beard? That was Zeus.

I Googled ... apparently there is some controversy. Another actor claims he actually played Ares in that scene.

Again, reminds me of something I forgot earlier ... at that moment, did anybody else think

Old 03-19-21, 12:51 AM

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I Googled ... apparently there is some controversy. Another actor claims he actually played Ares in that scene.

Again, reminds me of something I forgot earlier ... at that moment, did anybody else think

Those were actors playing Zeus and Ares?? I seriously thought they were cgi rendered creations. They looked fucking horrible.
Old 03-19-21, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Watched the first 3 parts last night. Enjoying it a decent bit so far. Is it just perception due to the aspect ratio or does the film actually look like a product from the early 90's to anyone else? Do we know how Cyborg ended up with the cube (I haven't seen the films leading into this)?
Old 03-19-21, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Is ZSJL overlong? Assuredly. Is it loud, sometimes overbearing, entirely too reliant on slow-mo, and at times disjointed? Positively. Do the emotional scenes connect? Often, no. But is it a good movie? It's a GREAT movie.

DC was my first fandom and still my favorite. This hit so many sweet spots I was a 7 year old kid staying up past my bedtime reading comics all over again. This was a movie with vision, epic scope, and unlike anything seen in superhero movies.

8.5 out of 10 for me. Loved it. Now to see a chiropractor because 4 hours is a LONG time...

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 03-19-21 at 09:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
milo bloom (03-24-21), whotony (03-26-21)
Old 03-19-21, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Watched the first 3 parts last night. Enjoying it a decent bit so far. Is it just perception due to the aspect ratio or does the film actually look like a product from the early 90's to anyone else? Do we know how Cyborg ended up with the cube (I haven't seen the films leading into this)?
Keep watching.. it's explained later in the film.
The following users liked this post:
Noonan (03-19-21)
Old 03-19-21, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Keep watching.. it's explained later in the film.
Thanks. Wasn't sure if the setup was in BvS or another previous film.
Old 03-19-21, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Ares had the axe and the war helmet. Zeus shot the lightening bolts, and Artemis was the female with the bow and arrow. The Gods basically clinched it for everyone. Ares cleaved Darkseid nearly in half, Zeus separated the Motherboxes, and Artemis nearly shot down one of the space ships.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 03-19-21 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-19-21, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I get that some people are excited to have a longer flashback and have it feature Darkseid instead of Steppenwolf, but Zeus, Ares, Artemis and the Green Lantern were all in Whedon’s cut. I’ve seen so many people acting as if those are entirely new additions that I wondered if I was having a Mandela effect, but I just brought up the Whedon version and they’re all there.
Old 03-19-21, 10:19 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I get that some people are excited to have a longer flashback and have it feature Darkseid instead of Steppenwolf, but Zeus, Ares, Artemis and the Green Lantern were all in Whedon’s cut. I’ve seen so many people acting as if those are entirely new additions that I wondered if I was having a Mandela effect, but I just brought up the Whedon version and they’re all there.
Yea, I didn't understand that either.
Old 03-19-21, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Wow, what a great film!! Loved that we get an epic Superman moment too - wasn't expecting that from Snyder.

It's too bad we'll probably never see Snyder's remaining ideas for the other justice league films. I'm all for the new Superman idea that jar-jar Abraham's wants to do but there is no need to reboot it in full...create another universe for it (I believe the guy who wrote the screenplay had a unique idea anyway) and let Snyder finish his films out (well, if he even had plans too that is).

Really liked this...everything was improved - even the scenes from the first one.
Old 03-19-21, 11:20 AM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

No pay off for the Flash time travel with Bruce's vision of his warning from BvS.
Lois is the key is what Flash says in the vision. Lois was the key. When they bring Superman back to life he kicks the shit out of them until Lois gets him to remember who he was. Had Lois not been there, he would have killed them and Steppenwolf would have been successful. It's Martian Manhunter as a Martha look alike that gets Lois out of her funk and essentially puts her into place. Which doesn't totally fit. But that's how I took the scene and felt it was enough of a pay off. As you see later on in Bruce's dream sequence, if Lois gets killed Superman snaps and joins Darkseid.

Same with J'onn J'onzz. It's a wasted throwaway moment. If I were Bruce. I'd ask... "well, where the fuck were you when shit went down? Thanks for nothing."
See above.

Flash can't hold a job, but he sure has a lot of tech.
I'd have a lot of cool shit too if I had super speed. It's called stealing dawg lol.
Old 03-19-21, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Whedon’s version was not good. I watched it in theaters and barely remember it. The actual definition of forgettable.

I’ll probably revisit the Whedon one just out of curiosity.

In the Snyder Cut open, when Superman is yelling, I was thinking “was that how Justice League opened”?
Old 03-19-21, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

But we see lots of stuff from Whedon's version this. I don't think anyone thought this would be 100% Jossless. Not sure what you're saying

EDIT: I see why you said that. From the earlier post.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-19-21 at 12:56 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.