Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
10.94%
14.06%
39.06%
15.63%
6.25%
4.69%
4.69%
1.56%
1.56%
1.56%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-22, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I have the 4K version in physical and am happy enough with it. Having seen where Snyder was going to go after this version, I can comfortably say I'm not interested in its continuation. Interestingly, here is some guy who thinks that despite having a physical version, I should continue to pump money into this project by getting the digital as well. Maybe if one day it goes all the way down to $5, but not until then.

Old 07-20-22, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Deftones
Claims that Snyder spearheaded online campaign to get it released through an ad agency and fake accounts:

"How the ‘Justice League’ Snyder Cut Was Driven by Bots & an Ad Agency – Rolling Stone" https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movi...s-1384231/amp/

Whoa that was a crazy read. But there did seem to be a lot of speculation and the article did seem to be written with a clear intent in mind. It is still insane that the Snyder cut actually made it through production to release. Didn't really know about Snyder "stealing" hard drives and working on the movie independently. Out of all the creative choices the 4:3 aspect ratio has to be the most bizarre choice. That or the Finnish girls choir that was singing to Aquaman that went on for quite some time.
Old 07-20-22, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Everytime this thread gets bumped it pushes me a little closer to actually watching this thing, just to see what all the fuss is about.

Then I read something like that Rolling Stone article and it turns me off of the whole deal again. Even if the stuff in that article isn't true, that it was even written shows that this world has already devoted far too much time and energy to a Zack Snyder movie. Best just leave it alone.
Old 07-20-22, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I really hadn't been invested in many of the DC movies at all, and wasn't really following the issue, but my friend wanted us to watch so we could do a podcast so we fired it up and watched it over a couple of nights and I'm glad I did.
I know there's the argument against overly grimdark superhero movies, but this one actually managed to make it an enjoyable experience, especially given breathing room to explore its ideas.
Old 07-20-22, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Did HBO Max give viewing numbers for the Snyder cut? Was it a hit? Or were bots able to game that too (and how do I hire these bots to game some other series I like but that don't have great metrics?)
Old 07-20-22, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Did HBO Max give viewing numbers for the Snyder cut? Was it a hit? Or were bots able to game that too (and how do I hire these bots to game some other series I like but that don't have great metrics?)

It was a hit. Then Godzilla Vs Kong came out and stole its thunder (via the article). The Snyder Cut is better than that POS, though.
Old 07-20-22, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Everytime this thread gets bumped it pushes me a little closer to actually watching this thing, just to see what all the fuss is about.

Then I read something like that Rolling Stone article and it turns me off of the whole deal again. Even if the stuff in that article isn't true, that it was even written shows that this world has already devoted far too much time and energy to a Zack Snyder movie. Best just leave it alone.
Do you like seeing more movie about characters you don't care about but less actual screen width? Have I got a film for you.
Old 08-05-22, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

So with all the other Warner Bros. Discovery stuff this hasn’t been talked about at all yet. I mean not that I expected the Snyderverse to be restored but a weird statement to make given that it was the more well received version of the film.

I’m sure there are lots of executives pissed at Snyder for essentially forcing the film out and for more money to be spent on completing it though.

Warner Bros. Reportedly Distancing Itself from Zack Snyder's 'Justice League'

Published 21 hours ago

I guess the SnyderVerse won’t be restored.
Image via Warner Bros.New reports relate the recent canceling of Batgirl with Warner Bros. Discovery wanting to move further away from the SnyderVerse, the name used to define the DC Extended Universe movies made under the supervision of filmmaker Zack Snyder. Besides scrapping Batgirl — a movie directly connected to the SnyderVerse — Warner Bros. Discovery informed documentarist Leslie Iwerks that the only official version of Justice League was the one finished by Joss Whedon in 2017, not acknowledging the version released in 2021 completed by Snyder.

Iwerks is currently involved in developing a docuseries highlighting the extent of the DC universe in comics, movies, series, and everywhere else. So, it’s fair to assume the showrunner will cover the recent films made for the DCEU, including the ones directed by Snyder. However, as The Rolling Stone reveals, Iwerks was refused access to license clips from the 2021 Justice League, also known as The Snyder Cut. This is because Warner Bros. Discovery claims the only official version of Justice League was released in 2017.

Warner Bros. Discovery's willingness to distance itself from the SnyderVerse might also help explain what led to Batgirl’s cancelation. While the first reports blamed bad reception on early screening tests, the company’s official statement cited a change of strategy, suggesting DC movies should be made only for theatrical release. Since then, we’ve also discovered that Batgirl would be used for a tax write-down, an unprecedented move in Hollywood history regarding a big IP production. Since Warner Bros. Discovery is so determined to erase Snyder’s version of Justice League from history, it would make sense if Batgirl’s cancelation was another step away from the SnyderVerse.
https://collider.com/warner-bros-dis...-cut-comments/

Last edited by Mike86; 08-05-22 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-05-22, 11:55 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

They need to re-title is as “WB distancing itself from Zach Snyder” That will calm people more.
Old 08-05-22, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well yeah, this was an HBO Max original that they spent a ton of money on, which is something that the Discovery guys hate.
Old 08-05-22, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Ha, Imagine if discovery takes Snyder cut away. Bros lose it
Old 08-05-22, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Well yeah, this was an HBO Max original that they spent a ton of money on, which is something that the Discovery guys hate.
I mean I get that but the money is already spent and again this version of the film was better received.
Old 08-05-22, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
I mean I get that but the money is already spent and again this version of the film was better received.
I guess it's the same question: how well received was it and how much of a boost did it do for Max subscribers (and is a boost for Max subscribers even a worthwhile use of the money)?

In my eyes they won't hesitate to rotate it off the service if it means they can bleed more people dry and make them buy the physical media or on demand or rental or whatever.

Last edited by fujishig; 08-05-22 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-05-22, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

I liked the Snyder Cut quiet a bit. I appreciate the new direction WB is going with DC content but I’m glad these new guys weren’t in charge earlier because they would have nixed the Snyder Cut in a heartbeat.
Old 08-05-22, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wasn't part of the whole Snyder cut cult stuff at all, but when it came out my friend wanted me to watch it so we blocked out the time and got through it and I actually really enjoyed it. It really should have been something closer to this in the first place. For the new leadership to distance themselves from an actually good product isn't a great idea in my opinion.
Old 08-05-22, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
It was a hit. Then Godzilla Vs Kong came out and stole its thunder (via the article). The Snyder Cut is better than that POS, though.

I agree....to disagree with you sir.
Old 08-06-22, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

My 3 word review of the ZSJL: Fuck Joss Whedon.
Old 08-07-22, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
So with all the other Warner Bros. Discovery stuff this hasn’t been talked about at all yet. I mean not that I expected the Snyderverse to be restored but a weird statement to make given that it was the more well received version of the film.

I’m sure there are lots of executives pissed at Snyder for essentially forcing the film out and for more money to be spent on completing it though.

https://collider.com/warner-bros-dis...-cut-comments/

The WB people (read Hamada et al) wanted nothing to do with Snyder after the Batman v Superman failure. They were already too far into preparing Justice League to fire him immediately, which is why we got Whedon's hybrid Justice League movie with some Snyder footage.

Snyder's Justice League cut was only finished because HBO MAX people, completely separate and independent from the WB movie executives, sunk a ton of money into it as a lossleader for their streaming service.

I don't think Snyder himself will ever work with WB again, but I expect to see several Snyderverse characters return to the screen under Discovery.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (09-02-22)
Old 08-07-22, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I really enjoyed this. It lived up to the hype for me and wish we'd get a follow-up to this continuity. However, the interconnected DC films have really been mismanaged and I wouldn't be surprised by a complete reboot once the current upcoming slate of movies are released.
The following 2 users liked this post by RocShemp:
E Unit (08-07-22), PhantomStranger (08-08-22)
Old 08-07-22, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

RocShemp is back after like seven years? Welcome back!
E Unit (08-07-22)
Old 08-07-22, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Zack Snyder brings everyone together!
Old 08-30-22, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
Zack Snyder brings everyone together!
Not everyone, it appears:

WB Execs Reportedly Regret Greenlighting Zack Snyder’s Justice League Cut (forbes.com)

In a lengthy article about the future of WB and DC, Variety has an interesting section which revisits one of the highest profile decisions made about the DCEU in the last few years, the release of the Snyder Cut of Justice League, after years of fan demands:

“Privately, studio insiders have lamented that “Zack Snyder’s Justice League” never should’ve happened. Rather than quiet the unceasing online campaigning to #ReleasetheSnyderCut, the four-hour HBO Max feature only further entrenched the vocal and extremely online “Snyderverse” fanbase in opposition to the leadership at the studio in general and at DC in particular.”

This news item has of course, riled up Snyder fans yet again, and it’s interesting to examine what actually happened here.

It’s true, releasing the Snyder Cut was seen as a victory for Snyder’s fans after their online movement steered by Snyder himself bore fruit. But WB execs misread how that would be viewed. It brought WB itself no sympathy or credit, as it was seen as a victory for Snyder and the fans over the very WB execs who approved it. Like the fans had become too loud and important to ignore. It wasn’t WB giving fans what they wanted, it was fans celebrating the idea that they forced WB’s hand.
Old 08-30-22, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I wish someone would start a campaign for a widescreen Snyder cut.
The following 2 users liked this post by Maxflier:
GoldenJCJ (08-30-22), John Pannozzi (09-02-22)
Old 08-30-22, 07:51 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

^ While I really enjoyed the Snyder Cut, I agree it would've been considerably better in a normal widescreen format rather than the format "his vision" called for.
The following 3 users liked this post by kd5:
GoldenJCJ (08-30-22), John Pannozzi (09-02-22), Michael Corvin (08-30-22)
Old 08-30-22, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They’re taking the opposite lesson from all that. Snyder should have been able to make his version in the first place. They should have taken the time to make it right the first time.
John Pannozzi (09-02-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.