Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
10.94%
14.06%
39.06%
15.63%
6.25%
4.69%
4.69%
1.56%
1.56%
1.56%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-21, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Re: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

And Dan Murrell isn't some paid studio "shill" He's actually a pretty well respected pundit and reviewer. He recently moved from Los Angeles to Arkansas. So he has no access to studios or premieres.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-17-21 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-17-21, 09:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

This thread isn’t legit until there’s a STUCKMAN review up in this bitch.
Old 03-18-21, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm actually working from home tonight until 3am PT. As of right now, my shift is in standby mode, so I might be able to turn this on at Midnight and get 3 hours in. I'll watch Falcon and the Winter Soldier tomorrow at Midnight

Last edited by DJariya; 03-18-21 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-18-21, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Despite what I said earlier, I doubt I’ll stay up for this. I broke out the good Scotch for our tornado weather.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom Banjo:
Bandoman (03-18-21), IBJoel (03-18-21)
Old 03-18-21, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Wow. There's the 4:3 aspect ratio warning. 👍🏾 its like watching a movie on tv in 1986

I gottta go to bed so im only gonna watch 20min or so.

Edit: 30 or so in ..the vibe is soooo different. . Feels way more dramatic and heavy. Colors are muted and it feels right.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-18-21 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-18-21, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Just finished it. Wow. That was quite a marathon. I’m way too tired to really analyze this. All I’ll say is that Zack’s version is so much better than the 2017 version. I cannot watch that version ever again after this. It’s a very different film from the tone, colors and also the story. The aspect ratio didn’t bother me at all. And it’s very long, but it’s edited pretty well where I didn’t feel it was a slog.

Ray Fisher was right to be upset about the previous version. He got the shaft. Victor Stone/Cyborg IMO is the heart and soul of this movie. He had a very compelling storyline. Also Barry Allen’s storyline was also improved as well. They got rid of a lot of the goofy shit that Whedon added in the previous film. And dark suit Superman was badass. And yes it does kind of tease a sequel at the end with the newly shot nightmare sequence and Martian Manhunter.

There’s no post credit scene. They dumped the goofy race between Superman and Flash.

okay off to bed.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-18-21 at 06:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
majorjoe23 (03-19-21), Why So Blu? (03-18-21)
Old 03-18-21, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk God

I guess I was the only one with the stamina to watch it from Midnight until 4am It did help that I had to be awake anyways for work until 3am, so I just decided to finish it.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/zac...justice_league

Current RT scores. 77% and 97% audience score

I heard that a Making of documentary is supposed to be available later today. I'll check it out when it pops up.

Since this was such a massive time commitment, I doubt I'll watch it again anytime soon, but as I said early this morning, I enjoyed it. Maybe sometime down the road.
Old 03-18-21, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Well he repaired it.

Maybe the new Suicide Squad will fix that problem too.

It’s fun to see these movies. I hope the DCU doesn’t die.
Old 03-18-21, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I spent all morning watching this. I wasn't hyped for this as I am not really a fan of Zack Snyder. Outside of the Dawn of the Dead remake, I haven't liked his movies and I haven't liked what he did with the DC characters in Man of Steel and Batman Vs. Superman. I don't feel like he understands the characters well. That said, I don't remember a thing about the Joss Whedon version. I plan to rewatch it soon, but I can say for sure it doesn't touch this version at all.

Zack Snyder made a fantastic movie. It was epic in every sense of the word. It was fantastic seeing Darkseid in a live action viewing, and Steppenwolf is made more of a threat. Obviously, this was more of a setup movie for more Darkseid down the line. Cyborg and The Flash get a lot more to do. Appearances from Iris West, The Joker, Deathstroke, and The Martian Manhunter. Far superior to what I remember Whedon's version to be. It dragged at certain points, but it was worth the hype and exceeded any expectations I had for it, which I didn't have much.

Was it perfect? No. I don't like the standard screen format. I saw nothing that warranted it. While I enjoyed it a lot, I am not sad to see the "Snyderverse" end. I'm not sure how much I would've enjoyed it in the direction they were taking it. Jesse Eisenberg is a talented actor when in the right role, but Lex Luthor he is not. Still, it's good to know that Snyrder does have some talent in the tank. Great movie.
The following 2 users liked this post by MysterioMan007:
DJariya (03-18-21), Giantrobo (03-18-21)
Old 03-18-21, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Watching now and the 4:3 ratio is nonsense. Being "creative" just to be creative and making me think about the ratio the whole time is stupid. It brings nothing to the table, IMO.
The following users liked this post:
MysterioMan007 (03-18-21)
Old 03-18-21, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk God

The new opening sequence that takes picks up around Batman vs Superman with the death of Superman was very effective to set up the movie. I can't believe a WB suit approved the Whedon footage with the goofy cell phone video and the embarrassing CGI chin.

Also, glad they got rid of the Russian family from the climatic sequence. Dostoevsky!! I feel like the changes made to the 2017 version from Whedon sabotaged it.
Why So Blu? (03-18-21)
Old 03-18-21, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I really don’t understand why the aspect ratio is such a sticking point for so many people. There are plenty of films in widescreen in an aspect ratio that leaves bars on the top and bottom. This puts bars on the side instead. Shouldn’t be that big of a deal.
Old 03-18-21, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I would argue that there is much more happening in an action event on the sides than at the top... why prevent us from seeing it all? This was a "creative" decision, not one intended to provide more context or insight into this universe. It's stupid.
Old 03-18-21, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I really don’t understand why the aspect ratio is such a sticking point for so many people. There are plenty of films in widescreen in an aspect ratio that leaves bars on the top and bottom. This puts bars on the side instead. Shouldn’t be that big of a deal.
IMO, it makes things look too claustrophobic.
Old 03-18-21, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

People act like Whedon made the movie that he wanted to make. He didn't. He made the movie that WB wanted him to make. What Whedon wanted to make was Batgirl, and "fixing" Justice League was what they wanted him to do, and then they would give him Batgirl.

Now that all changed when it bombed horribly and Whedon's name was dragged though the mud, but I firmly believe that was the deal.

Even if Zack Snyder had stuck it out and finished the film, this version is not what we would have gotten, not even close. WB wanted it cut to no longer than two hours and wanted the tone lightened, which is what Whedon did. These demands were made long before Snyder was off the project though and before his daughter passed away. He was already working on some of those changes, but WB continued to push for more. This story could not have been told in two hours and given everyone their due. If that's what they wanted, there should have been more than 3 films leading up to this. But they wanted to rush to that Avengers payday, without understanding why Avengers worked.

Yes Snyder quit becuase of his daughter, but in many ways he really didn't. He actually worked on the film for a while after her death. He just didn't have the will to continue to fight WB in the wake of everything else. Even if he did, he would have conceded on some things, and the film that came out today would not exist.
DWilson (03-19-21)
Old 03-18-21, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

*This is the spoiler thread, so fuck off if you don't want to be spoiled

Just finished it and it fucking rocked. Buries the bullshit Whedon the hack directed. Wow, was this version leaps and bounds better. The opening credits sequence alone is better than all of what Whedon did on his cut. I agree with DJ in that Ray Fisher really got screwed over. Glad they restored his story arc.

Darkseid looked and sounded awesome. Steppenwolf also looked and sounded awesome. They added more blood and some gore to the kills. Considering the way this version ends, it's fucked up that we'll not be seeing a proper JL2 since it's not canon.

The 4K DV and Atmos looked and sounded great! Man, I will definitely be getting the 4K disc upon its released.

The joker cameo was creepy and great. Looks like there's an implication that Batman sent Robin to kill Joker. Joker kills Robin and Batman kills Harley Quinn. The way Joker looks at him after he tells him that was priceless.
The following 2 users liked this post by Why So Blu?:
DJariya (03-18-21), Giantrobo (03-18-21)
Old 03-18-21, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Makes it look like an 80s TV show. Even TV doesn't do 4:3 anymore.
Old 03-18-21, 03:38 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

It isn't about the bars being on the sides instead of the top and bottom. It's about the scope of the film looking small.

Old 03-18-21, 03:40 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

This was a much more realized, fuller version. It definitely feels complete compared to what we previously got. As it's been mentioned... getting rid of that atrociously bad cell phone footage opening in the original version is justification enough for this to exist. I wouldn't go overboard and say it was amazing or anything. I rated it 3.5.
Old 03-18-21, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

I have to agree with Obi-Wan, this is not the film we would have gotten. The benefit of hindsight greatly helped with this massive upgrade. Without the "unusual" circumstances this made under, it would never have been this.

The Good: This is a vastly improved version with a story that flows much better (though there are some hiccups with the cut together nature of the film), makes more sense, and hits much harder. I had said before that I felt Cyborg was short-shifted in the Whedon cut, and the Snyder cut fixes that. Even the Flash additions add more value and character* (more on that in a bit).
  • I honestly don't think it felt like four hours, but I will admit I started early in the morning and nodded off at one point, so I basically broke it into two sessions.
  • The Steppenwolf character design is VASTLY improved. I'm not a comic book person, so I'm not making that comparison. This Steppenwolf felt other-worldly and evil. Whedon's just felt like a vanilla CGI baddie.
  • Lots of cheese was cut out. It makes for for a few unusual jumps and some things had to stay, but it works better.
  • Martian Manhunter!!!
The Bad: 4:3? Really? I can't say it bothered me much while I was watching it, but why waste half of my TV? Did anybody else notice "rounding focus" in several scenes (the corners were rounded off like looking down a black tube)? Curious, did we lose the sides or gain more up-down?
  • Aquaman was ... pointless? Maybe I just don't remember that in the Whedon cut, but he seemed pretty pointless here. So did anything with Atlantis.
  • Some of the editing was a little rough, but that was to be expected with something that has been put together, torn apart, and recobbled multiple times.
  • The "chapters" didn't seem to serve much purpose to me. I really didn't feel like those were good "episode" breaks. I can see what Snyder was going for thematically, but I just found it a mild annoyance.
  • Where were the Lanterns!? They are talked about like they were a significant part of repelling Darkseid the first time, but we only see one in that battle and never again.
The Ugly: Ezra Miller* ... yeah, I like the added Flash stuff, but it highlighted how annoying this portrayal of the character is. Though that was a common complaint with the Whedon cut, I really did not feel it that much there. Here ... ugghhh ... his voice just grates on me like he is doing an annoying AF Adam Sandler character. It works at moments ("I need friends") but his trying to ham it up and be cutesy almost every time he was on screen was awful.
  • Likewise, this version highlights the bad idea of Ben Affleck as Batman. Thankfully it reduces his screen time, but those limitations bring forth the ego of the character and Affleck's bland portrayal.
  • Oh yeah, Jared Leto Joker still sucks. For small moments I was digging it ... but it still came off as Jared Leto trying too hard.
  • This still suffers from the common problem all superhero movies suffer from: what is "superpowered"? I didn't create it, but nobody has named it so I will claim it: The Teff Effect -- The level of a superhero's powers are determined in direct relation to the current situation, not a common, ongoing baseline.

OK ... even at four hours, I will watch this again at home (maybe not in one sitting). If goes IMAX, I will go see it.

Now ... RELEASE THE GEORGE MILLER CUT!
Fine, I'll settle for the Gareth (Rogue) One!

Last edited by Abob Teff; 03-18-21 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-18-21, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The joker cameo was creepy and great. Looks like there's an implication that Batman sent Robin to kill Joker. Joker kills Robin and Batman kills Harley Quinn. The way Joker looks at him after he tells him that was priceless.
I took it as Joker killed her (or left her for dead) and Batman was there at the end.

This was a great kick in the balls scene ... I wish they had the gumption to greenlight the movie that follows that.
Why So Blu? (03-18-21)
Old 03-18-21, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Definitely an improvement over the Whedon version and as a DC fan, enjoyed plenty of the character moments (and the addition of MM) but the story did feel off even though the film is nearly four hours long, in addition the alternate timeline part at the end felt tacked on and unnecessary. The visual effects looked like something from a video game but I can forgive that since I'd imagine it'd cost an additional $100M to make it look cleaner and more realistic.

Given what Snyder had to work with and the fact in reality the studio should've been patient and given him and his family to mourn and re-group later, I am glad this did become a reality, shame that outside of maybe The Flash movie there won't be a follow-up with Darkseid. ***½/*****
Old 03-18-21, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

About 10 mins in and just wanted to say the 4:3 is horrible

#releasethewidescreencut

Last edited by stingermck; 03-18-21 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-18-21, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

It didn't bother me but I don't know why he went with that aspect ratio... Doubt it will happen, but hopefully once it's released on 4K UHD, maybe there will be a widescreen option.
Old 03-18-21, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Yeah, I'm really curious about the 4x3. This film certainly wasn't shot for this aspect ratio. So how did they get there? Remove the mattes? Crop the sides? I'd think even the camera negative would be closer to 1:85 if they matted for 2:35. Very weird decision.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.