Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
10.94%
14.06%
39.06%
15.63%
6.25%
4.69%
4.69%
1.56%
1.56%
1.56%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-21, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

why did they release the back and white version on HBO MAX?, i thought they wait was for the dvd for that version
Old 03-29-21, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by lacubs
why did they release the back and white version on HBO MAX?, i thought they wait was for the dvd for that version
DVD version?

Both versions are HBO Max exclusives. Why would they release one on a streaming service and one on physical media? That would make absolutely no sense.
Old 03-29-21, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

I watched this last night, and really enjoyed it (aside from a few things like the Cyborg playing Robin Hood thing already discussed above, which bothered me for maybe thirty seconds, before I forgot about it and watched the rest of the movie). I didn't even notice the 4:3 aspect ratio after the first couple of minutes, but I watch a lot of 4:3 stuff anyway.

Last edited by Dimension X; 03-29-21 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-29-21, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
DVD version?

Both versions are HBO Max exclusives. Why would they release one on a streaming service and one on physical media? That would make absolutely no sense.
i know it's make no sense but it's schedule to be release on blu-ray on May 25 https://www.thevulcanreporter.com/ne...-release-date/
Old 03-29-21, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Found the interview I think they were referring to.
My mother saw I was into this comic called Heavy Metal magazine, so she got me a subscription. You could call it ”high-brow” comics, but to me, that comic book was just pretty sexy! I had a buddy who tried getting me into ”normal” comic books, but I was all like, ”No one is having sex or killing each other. This isn’t really doing it for me.” I was a little broken, that way. So when Watchmen came along, I was, ”This is more my scene.”

Ah yes, the perfect choice to direct a Superman movie.
As much as I enjoyed this version of the movie, I still had some criticisms of it. But that quote explains why I generally don't like Zack Snyder's stuff. I get what Draven is saying about it and I'm not going to tell him he's wrong for feeling that way. While I enjoyed the movie, I can't honestly say it's the version I wanted. I would've liked something closer to the Justice League animated series from back in the day. A little more light-hearted and fun. I don't remember HATING Whedon's version, but I've never had the desire to rewatch it. Snyder's a little dark for my tastes, but since it's the "multi-verse", I can accept what he did and enjoy it or what it was... however, I'm not going to be upset by them not continuing the "Snyderverse" or if they decide to continue with it since we're getting different versions of characters these days.
The following 2 users liked this post by MysterioMan007:
Draven (03-29-21), IBJoel (03-29-21)
Old 03-29-21, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I own all X-Men movies, MCU movies and DCEU movies on DVD or Blu-ray but I actually didn't buy Justice League, which I realized when I wanted to watch it again for comparisan. The Snyder Cut I will buy.
Old 03-29-21, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,069 Posts

I thought this was an interesting article about the differences in how the two cuts portray women. 1 or 2 times may be a coincidence, 17 seems pretty intentional.

https://www.insider.com/zack-snyder-...y-scenes-women
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (03-30-21)
Old 03-30-21, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I thought this was an interesting article about the differences in how the two cuts portray women. 1 or 2 times may be a coincidence, 17 seems pretty intentional.

Whedon is a faux-feminist monster. We know this now and we could see a lot of issues with male gaze in JL 2017. I do think some of those examples in the article are disingenuous. The "hammer women" use the same actors and shots for both versions, from what I recall. The infamous "butt shot" of WW is actually still in Snyder's cut (just, thankfully, cropped differently and more tastefully). Some of those examples I think are more interpretive (especially now that we can retroactively apply what we know about Whedon), but I'd say most are spot-on.

One thing I wish they mentioned in the article is that WW essentially doesn't have an arc in Snyder's version. In Whedon's, she's still hesitant to rejoin the world and lead the team, but Batman is encouraging her to take the role throughout the film and she eventually makes the decision to lead the League into battle. Let me be clear that I 100% think Snyder is better working with women (and frankly, people in general).
Old 03-30-21, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

As long as sex sells actors and actresses will always be sexualized in one way or another, it may be even necessary for the movie if the audience should receive the character in the same way as it is by other characters in the movie, but scenes like Flash lying face down on Wonder Woman's boobs is just unnecessary and just a wet dream of a teenage boy. Aquaman sitting on the lasso was a funny moment, but instead of using it to talk about Diana's hotness, he could've shown more of his insecurities.
IBJoel (03-30-21)
Old 03-30-21, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They missed at least one more - When Steppenwolf is retrieving the Mother Box from Atlantis, he shoves Mera up against a wall and chokes her. In the Snyder cut, he tells her "You can't escape," and she answers "I'm not trying to," and fights back using her hydrokinesis. She starts extracting all the liquid from Steppenwolf's body (out through his mouth, nose, and eyes), then, fighting for his life, he throws her to the floor. In the Whedon cut he just shoves her against the wall, then throws her to the floor, without her getting a chance to fight back and show off her superpower. Of course that could've been a studio cut to keep the violence down so they could get a PG-13 rating.

Last edited by Dimension X; 03-30-21 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-30-21, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

I didn’t realize that’s what she was doing.

I thought she was removing the water to make him heavy and gravity would take over.
Old 03-30-21, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whotony

I thought she was removing the water to make him heavy and gravity would take over.
That's just my guess, partly due to the red tint of the liquid.

They were in an air bubble, talking. She could only add water.

Old 03-30-21, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony

I think that's the scene right after. She is definitely manipulating the water/blood in his body when he's up close, then later (or before?) she drops him
Old 03-30-21, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Yeah, that was an awesome scene.
Old 03-30-21, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Well, I've made it through part 4 so far. Man, it's...a lot. SO....MUCH....slow motion! I swear half the movie so far is in slow motion. Music choices are bad, except for WW's theme. That creepy song the women sing for like ten minutes while Aquaman slowly goes in the water? Too long. Saving Iris? WAAAAYY too long. I like some of the choices. I like Barry, mostly. Don't like Cyborg at all. Batfleck is fine. WW is the best character, but it seems like she has less to do? Did she get the most scenes cut from the other version? Some of the plot is terrible. Darkseid just....forgot.... that he got his ass kicked on earth? You'd think he'd remember the one planet that defied him. Definitely seems darker and with less comedy. There is some good stuff. Love Alfred and fun seeing "J Jonah Jameson" as Gordon. Gonna finish up tonight, but this really could have been trimmed down a lot.
Old 03-30-21, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander
Darkseid just....forgot.... that he got his ass kicked on earth? You'd think he'd remember the one planet that defied him.
I've seen this mentioned many times. I don't think it's that huge of a deal.

There's a line from WW's narration as the ships are retreating along the lines of "fading from view, anonymous among a trillion worlds". Also, Darkseid wouldn't know since he's not anywhere near earth during JL. Steppenwolf is just bouncing around destroying worlds to get back into Darkseid's good graces, and wasn't there when Darkseid was defeated, so he doesn't know until the mother boxes tell him.
Why So Blu? (03-30-21)
Old 03-30-21, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
I've seen this mentioned many times. I don't think it's that huge of a deal.

There's a line from WW's narration as the ships are retreating along the lines of "fading from view, anonymous among a trillion worlds". Also, Darkseid wouldn't know since he's not anywhere near earth during JL. Steppenwolf is just bouncing around destroying worlds to get back into Darkseid's good graces, and wasn't there when Darkseid was defeated, so he doesn't know until the mother boxes tell him.
Maybe I'm misrembering the timeline, but don't the boxes tell him the equation is on Earth after he's already been fighting Atlanteans and Amazons? Didn't realize he was on Earth again?
Old 03-30-21, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I mentioned it before but that seems like a gigantic plot hole.

In his original invasion, it looks like the Anti Life Equation is etched in the ground when he first lands (I could be wrong). He then gets freaking defeated by an axe to the chest and leaves three motherboxes there, and forgets about it for thousands of years until Steppenwolf happens to come to Earth again (and even then he's like skeptical about Steppenwolf's findings).

How many worlds axed Darkseid in the chest? He just let that go?
Old 03-30-21, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Maybe I'm misrembering the timeline, but don't the boxes tell him the equation is on Earth after he's already been fighting Atlanteans and Amazons? Didn't realize he was on Earth again?
​​​​​​
It's Steppenwolf doing all that not Darkseid. Darkseid never sets foot on earth in the "current" timeline. Steppenwolf doesn't talk with Darkseid until the mother boxes tell him that the anti-life equation is "here".

​​​​Darkseid only sets foot on earth during the old gods battle and during the knightmare sequences. He only talked with Steppenwolf via whatever that morphing stone is and only saw earth during the final battle through that portal.
​​
Why So Blu? (03-30-21)
Old 03-30-21, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, I mentioned it before but that seems like a gigantic plot hole.

In his original invasion, it looks like the Anti Life Equation is etched in the ground when he first lands (I could be wrong). He then gets freaking defeated by an axe to the chest and leaves three motherboxes there, and forgets about it for thousands of years until Steppenwolf happens to come to Earth again (and even then he's like skeptical about Steppenwolf's findings).

How many worlds axed Darkseid in the chest? He just let that go?

Yeah, an ordinary axe by the God of War. It's already been mentioned that Ares could have kept going. Shit, he'd probably be able to take them all on. That'd be dull, though. Remember, WW killed Ares in the first WW film, so I guess they were going on the whole "only a god can kill another god" rule. Uxas was not a God yet, otherwise he'd be able to Omega beam everyone out of there.
Old 03-30-21, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
​​​​​​
It's Steppenwolf doing all that not Darkseid. Darkseid never sets foot on earth in the "current" timeline. Steppenwolf doesn't talk with Darkseid until the mother boxes tell him that the anti-life equation is "here".

​​​​Darkseid only sets foot on earth during the old gods battle and during the knightmare sequences. He only talked with Steppenwolf via whatever that morphing stone is and only saw earth during the final battle through that portal.
​​
Right, but how did he forget about Earth and the motherboxes that were there and the antilife equation etched on the ground during his "old gods" Lord of the Rings battle?
Old 03-30-21, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, an ordinary axe by the God of War. It's already been mentioned that Ares could have kept going. Shit, he'd probably be able to take them all on. That'd be dull, though. Remember, WW killed Ares in the first WW film, so I guess they were going on the whole "only a god can kill another god" rule. Uxas was not a God yet, otherwise he'd be able to Omega beam everyone out of there.
I'm not arguing that Ares couldn't take down young Darkseid, I'm saying how did Darkseid never go back and completely obliterate them as soon as he feasibly could? Certainly an army that could defeat him would stand out among the thousands of planets that succumbed to him.
Old 03-30-21, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm not arguing that Ares couldn't take down young Darkseid, I'm saying how did Darkseid never go back and completely obliterate them as soon as he feasibly could? Certainly an army that could defeat him would stand out among the thousands of planets that succumbed to him.

Well, ZS already answered it, so read what he says:

https://screenrant.com/zack-snyder-j...on-forgot-why/

ZS quote:

"He almost died when he returned to apocalypse [sic]. He was in a fight for power and much time passed before he was in a position of power again, and by then all who had been with him had been slayed."

Article quote:

Some might say that the one planet that defeated Darkseid might stay with him for all eternity, or wouldn’t his ship have had some sort of tracking device that could take him back to Earth. Still this explanation from Snyder makes sense. Darkseid loses this most ferocious battle and is mercilessly wounded by old gods like Ares. And if none of Darkseid's allies are alive to help track down the Anti-Life equation once again, it could be a bit of a struggle. As Snyder says, his most pressing issue when he returns to Apokolips is not heading straight back to Earth, but dealing with a power struggle on his own planet. A lot of time had passed and a lot of other planets were conquered before Darkseid is in a “position of power” again.
Old 03-30-21, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did those scenes just not make the 4 hour cut?
Old 03-30-21, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I don’t give a shit about Joss, but I think some of that stuff is a bit of a reach. Maybe looking for something that isn’t really there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.