Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
10.94%
14.06%
39.06%
15.63%
6.25%
4.69%
4.69%
1.56%
1.56%
1.56%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-21, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Re: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I'm sure you're going to tell me some reason why they couldn't, but I still think it was a poor use of supplies. I'm sure Snyder just needed to add another effect. Then leaving isn't enough!
Old 03-22-21, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by clckworang
I'm sure you're going to tell me some reason why they couldn't, but I still think it was a poor use of supplies. I'm sure Snyder just needed to add another effect. Then leaving isn't enough!

Nah, you're just not well-versed in interplanetary warfare/tactics. It would have been a 1-minute fight then you'd be complaining that it was too short and not had enough action.
Old 03-22-21, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Nah, you're just not well-versed in interplanetary warfare/tactics. It would have been a 1-minute fight then you'd be complaining that it was too short and not had enough action.
I would gladly take 1 good minute over 5 bloated ones. Of course, that one minute would probably be shown in slow motion, effectively making it 5.
The following users liked this post:
wearetheborg (03-22-21)
Old 03-22-21, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

And don't knock arrows. In the beginning of the movie, that's all you needed to take down a big space ship.
They really had that? I didn't notice
Old 03-22-21, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wearetheborg

They didn't. That's the joke.
whotony (03-26-21)
Old 03-22-21, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
Yes, it happened. I couldn't make up something so silly. Darkseid gets shot twice by magic arrow lady and shrugs it off. He gets axed. The mother boxes are knocked apart. Magic arrow shot at retreating space ship, triggers massive explosion. Quick edit to lady looking up. When it switches perspective back again, you can see the ship crash and blow up behind the characters. And then everyone shouts in slow motion for a couple minutes.

I guess the arrows were magic enough to take down a ship but not Darkseid. Still pretty damn magic, though.
wearetheborg (03-22-21)
Old 03-22-21, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For reference, we're talking about the 1 hour 5 minute mark. I doubted myself when our resident Snyder expert said it didn't happen. It definitely did. I just went back and checked to make sure I remembered correctly.
wearetheborg (03-22-21)
Old 03-22-21, 11:17 PM

For reference, we're talking about the 1 hour 5 minute mark. I doubted myself when our resident Snyder expert said it didn't happen. It definitely did. I just went back and checked to make sure I remembered correctly.

Old 03-22-21, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And it looked awesome but hey, MCU and all that jazz, right? Also, he took two arrows from a God, but was ultimately taken down by a diffrent God's axe. Uxas is also a god or at least a demigod. I get the purposeful nitpicking but don't stray into being a troll.
Old 03-22-21, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And it looked awesome but hey, MCU and all that jazz, right?
It looked stupid.
wearetheborg (03-22-21)
Old 03-22-21, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It looked stupid.

Sure.
Old 03-22-21, 11:29 PM

It looked stupid.
It was so silly I had blocked it out
Old 03-22-21, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And it looked awesome but hey, MCU and all that jazz, right?
I get that you love Snyder and his DC films and feel the need to champion them. That's great. I respect that. But isn't it possible that some people don't like these films simply on their own merits? I wish I liked the movies more. The characters deserve better.

Why keep bringing Marvel into it because not everyone agrees with you? But here, I'll give you something since you keep acting like people can't criticize Marvel, even though this isn't a Marvel thread. I watched Winter Soldier the other night with a friend. She hadn't seen it. It's probably my favorite Marvel, but I rolled my eyes some when Captain America took down an aircraft alone with his shield. At least it required more than one strategic hit at close range to do it.
The following 2 users liked this post by clckworang:
IBJoel (03-23-21), wearetheborg (03-23-21)
Old 03-22-21, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They didn't. That's the joke.
And it looked awesome but hey, MCU and all that jazz, right? Also, he took two arrows from a God, but was ultimately taken down by a diffrent God's axe. Uxas is also a god or at least a demigod. I get the purposeful nitpicking but don't stray into being a troll.
It looked awesome or it didn't happen? You're the one I feel is lurching into troll territory. We're judging a movie on its merits. Sorry if you disagree.

I didn't say whoever wasn't a god. I don't know him either way. I just said how it played out. How was my description wrong?
wearetheborg (03-23-21)
Old 03-22-21, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It looked awesome or it didn't happen? You're the one I feel is lurching into troll territory. We're judging a movie on its merits. Sorry if you disagree.

I didn't say whoever wasn't a god. I don't know him either way. I just said how it played out. How was my description wrong?
No you're not. The same shit I mentioned pages back about minutiae and all that, that's what you guys are digging into. You're in the weeds over nothing and are trolling at this point. I said it looked awesome, which it did. I said they didn't because you basically framed it as those characters used plain wooden bows and arrows to take down ships or whatever, and I clarified that it was one of the Gods using them. They weren't "ordinary." Then you call me some Mr. Knowitall. You trying to bust balls here or what?
Old 03-23-21, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I get that you love Snyder and his DC films and feel the need to champion them. That's great. I respect that. But isn't it possible that some people don't like these films simply on their own merits? I wish I liked the movies more. The characters deserve better.

Why keep bringing Marvel into it because not everyone agrees with you? But here, I'll give you something since you keep acting like people can't criticize Marvel, even though this isn't a Marvel thread. I watched Winter Soldier the other night with a friend. She hadn't seen it. It's probably my favorite Marvel, but I rolled my eyes some when Captain America took down an aircraft alone with his shield. At least it required more than one strategic hit at close range to do it.
I don't have a problem with that scene in Winter Soldier. In fact, Winter Soldier is still my favorite film out of the MCU. Actually, I don't remember him taking down a plane with the shield (haven't seen it in a while), but I remember him throwing a person into the engine and that took it down, which is even cooler and morbid as hell.
Old 03-23-21, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I read that and it does not sound optimistic to me at all. Lots of coded language.

"We at Warnermedia have neither the will nor the patience to craft an interconnected and coherent cinematic universe with the DC Comics characters like the one created by Disney and Marvel, so we're just going to exploit these properties in any way that we view as expedient and profitable, and call it a cinematic universe and hope you don't notice. And if you don't like or accept it, we will call you toxic fans in the press."

Reminds me of Lucasfilm... "Sit down, shut up, and buy more overpriced toys."
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
ddrknghtrtns (03-23-21), Why So Blu? (03-23-21)
Old 03-23-21, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No you're not. The same shit I mentioned pages back about minutiae and all that, that's what you guys are digging into. You're in the weeds over nothing and are trolling at this point. I said it looked awesome, which it did. I said they didn't because you basically framed it as those characters used plain wooden bows and arrows to take down ships or whatever, and I clarified that it was one of the Gods using them. They weren't "ordinary." Then you call me some Mr. Knowitall. You trying to bust balls here or what?
You're the one who keeps speaking up to explain the movie to everyone and tell us we're wrong about it. That's the clear role you've taken in this thread; that's why I made that point.

Did you also read my post a while back? About how if you don't bore me then I won't think about minutiae? I was excited about the new cut. I certainly didn't want to fall asleep the first couple times I tried to watch it, but that was its impact. And you can call it minutiae all you want. I will call it plot holes and lapses of logic. I will call it moments that take me out of the movie or make me roll my eyes.

And I don't give a shit who shot the arrow or how magical it was. I thought it was ridiculously silly. I still do. Your explanation didn't change that. You thought it was awesome. Good for you. Be more happy you enjoyed it.
Old 03-23-21, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 193 Posts

Finally got to sit down and watch this last night. I didn’t love the other version but I didn’t completely hate it either.

This version is almost perfect. I loved it. Many others have already pointed out what is great and what they have had issues with those echo my feelings as well. But man did this go beyond my expectations. I never bought the other version but this will be a day one purchase for sure. What an experience I am still digesting.

The whole epilogue scene for me was a bit much and really didn’t care for it. Probably because I think the Joker is one of the least interesting villains. Never cared for him in any format. It was funny watching Deathstroke walk up the stairs on the ship and I am thinking Deadpool??

Not shocking to see who didn’t like it. Must be exhausting wasting this much energy on something you don’t care for.

As far as the 4:3 after a few minutes you don’t even notice it but people need to complain so. But it is a very dark looking movie. I had to inch up the brightness a notch. As several others have mentioned too bad we will not see them together again…

The following 4 users liked this post by d2cheer:
DJariya (03-23-21), PhantomStranger (03-24-21), whotony (03-26-21), Why So Blu? (03-23-21)
Old 03-23-21, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
It didn't come from nowhere. Cyborg rigged it so she won the "Gotham Bank Jackpot" prize. This was specifically shown in the film with a big CONGRATULATIONS! message. Hell, someone had to win it.
I had assumed Cyborg put that messaging in so she wouldn't feel like it's a bank mistake and try to return it, not that there's an actual Gotham Bank Jackpot prize that he rigged for her to win.

As far as the arrow thing goes... I can no prize that away in my head easily because it makes for a decent shot and it's a staple of every large battle scene where you're left wondering "why didn't they just do that in the first place." I mean these are magical super powers so I'm fine with a magic arrow that can take down the ship, or the ship being so damaged as it was fleeing that it went down with one arrow, or Artemis needing time to charge it or whatever. I feel like that's consistent with comic book logic, whereas something like Darkseid forgetting where he misplaced the motherboxes after taking an axe to the chest stands out as plot logic that doesn't make sense to me.

Same with the drones thing, I mean does anyone actually want to see battles play out like that? Next we'll be discussing the uselessness of capes on a superhero. People come to the movie to see Batman doing cool stuff, not remotely piloting drones from his mansion.

Last edited by fujishig; 03-23-21 at 09:11 AM.
IBJoel (03-23-21)
Old 03-23-21, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Same with the drones thing, I mean does anyone actually want to see battles play out like that? Next we'll be discussing the uselessness of capes on a superhero. People come to the movie to see Batman doing cool stuff, not remotely piloting drones from his mansion.
To be fair, all Batman did in this movie was drive vehicles (which then exploded).
IBJoel (03-23-21)
Old 03-23-21, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Yes, it happened. I couldn't make up something so silly. Darkseid gets shot twice by magic arrow lady and shrugs it off. He gets axed. The mother boxes are knocked apart. Magic arrow shot at retreating space ship, triggers massive explosion. Quick edit to lady looking up. When it switches perspective back again, you can see the ship crash and blow up behind the characters. And then everyone shouts in slow motion for a couple minutes.

I guess the arrows were magic enough to take down a ship but not Darkseid. Still pretty damn magic, though.
To be fair, I'm pretty certain Darkseid is tougher than a ship. That's like saying "This missile could take out an aircraft carrier, but not Superman. Why?" Actually, my only quibble with the flashback scene is that it would have been cool to see some non-Greco-Roman deities in action. I guess you can say that Zeus and Odin or Ares and Tyr would've been one and the same, just the name WW uses for the proto-Indoeuropean gods. When I saw it in 2017, I originally thought Artemis was supposed to be a Native American figure until I looked at the cast credits.

Oh, and it would have been cool to see the GL ring choose another warrior to wield itself there on the battlefield. Nothing I hold against the movie, just would've been neat.

I've been checking out the Junkie XL score and while I think "The Crew at Warpower" isn't very good for the movie, the new Batman theme isn't too shabby. I think it's overall better than his previous one from BvS, "Men Are Still Good", but the latter has a better "peak", in my opinion.
Old 03-23-21, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You're the one who keeps speaking up to explain the movie to everyone and tell us we're wrong about it. That's the clear role you've taken in this thread; that's why I made that point.

Did you also read my post a while back? About how if you don't bore me then I won't think about minutiae? I was excited about the new cut. I certainly didn't want to fall asleep the first couple times I tried to watch it, but that was its impact. And you can call it minutiae all you want. I will call it plot holes and lapses of logic. I will call it moments that take me out of the movie or make me roll my eyes.

And I don't give a shit who shot the arrow or how magical it was. I thought it was ridiculously silly. I still do. Your explanation didn't change that. You thought it was awesome. Good for you. Be more happy you enjoyed it.
Then why fucking complain about it? You don't want an explanation? Then stop talking out of your ass on shit that's been explained onscreen. Pay attention while you watch shit instead of bellyaching that there's no reason for it or that it looks silly. Someone just posted about the nurse winning the jackpot and thought it was being stolen from regular folks until it was explained that it was the Gotham lottery. See how easy that was? You're bent on this whole ZS sucks, his movies suck, blah, blah, blah angle.
Old 03-23-21, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Then why fucking complain about it? You don't want an explanation? Then stop talking out of your ass on shit that's been explained onscreen. Pay attention while you watch shit instead of bellyaching that there's no reason for it or that it looks silly. Someone just posted about the nurse winning the jackpot and thought it was being stolen from regular folks until it was explained that it was the Gotham lottery. See how easy that was? You're bent on this whole ZS sucks, his movies suck, blah, blah, blah.
Wait, do people seriously believe there's a Gotham lottery that you win via ATM and it wasn't just made up by Cyborg so the woman would feel like that money wasn't stolen from elsewhere? Who needs to pay attention?
Old 03-23-21, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by IBJoel
To be fair, I'm pretty certain Darkseid is tougher than a ship. That's like saying "This missile could take out an aircraft carrier, but not Superman. Why?" Actually, my only quibble with the flashback scene is that it would have been cool to see some non-Greco-Roman deities in action. I guess you can say that Zeus and Odin or Ares and Tyr would've been one and the same, just the name WW uses for the proto-Indoeuropean gods. When I saw it in 2017, I originally thought Artemis was supposed to be a Native American figure until I looked at the cast credits.

Oh, and it would have been cool to see the GL ring choose another warrior to wield itself there on the battlefield. Nothing I hold against the movie, just would've been neat.

I've been checking out the Junkie XL score and while I think "The Crew at Warpower" isn't very good for the movie, the new Batman theme isn't too shabby. I think it's overall better than his previous one from BvS, "Men Are Still Good", but the latter has a better "peak", in my opinion.

I wish the Junkie XL score was available on vinyl. It buries the piece of shit one by Elfman. I think my favorite piece of music is during the end when Flash goes back in time. When the piano keys start at the beginning right before he takes off - it's badass. I also enjoyed the new WW Amazonian theme, and the more metal rocking instances in certain parts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.