Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Things that great on you in movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Things that great on you in movies

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-21, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts
Re: Things that great on you in movies

Originally Posted by Groucho
When they use the most obvious musical cues to "set the mood". Flashback to the 1960's? Get ready to hear Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth"! Scene set anywhere in Asia? Prepare to hear a GONG! etc...
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a Vietnam War movie that didn’t use CCRs “Fortunate Son” or Jimi Hendrix’s “All Along the Watchtower”.
The following users liked this post:
ddrknghtrtns (03-14-21)
Old 03-13-21, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

1. When someone has a sack of groceries, and there's a giant baguette or stick of French bread poking out of the top of the bag. And it's never wrapped.

2. When someone drops a sack of groceries, a dozen loose oranges roll out.

3. Phone rings. Wakes someone up. All the caller will say is "turn on your tv." Then they turn on the tv, and the exact information they need is shown. What if they were watching HBO when they fell asleep?

4. "There has a been a change in your friend's condition." "What is is it?" "You need to see for yourself." Instead of just telling him he's out of the coma.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
andicus (03-13-21), ddrknghtrtns (03-14-21)
Old 03-13-21, 06:17 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
4. "There has a been a change in your friend's condition." "What is is it?" "You need to see for yourself." Instead of just telling him he's out of the coma.
"Come with me!"

"Why?"

"There's no time to explain!"
ddrknghtrtns (03-14-21)
Old 03-13-21, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts

1. When someone has a sack of groceries, and there's a giant baguette or stick of French bread poking out of the top of the bag. And it's never wrapped.
Michael Clayton FTW

The following 3 users liked this post by Decker:
ddrknghtrtns (03-14-21), IBJoel (03-14-21), Rocketsfan (03-15-21)
Old 03-13-21, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

This was just on The Walking Dead a couple of weeks ago, they had to show Maggie that Hilltop was gone instead of just telling her. Plus, it's the zombie apocalypse. A trip to Hilltop isn't something you can buzz down the freeway for, it's a friggin' JOURNEY now.
Old 03-13-21, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Phone rings. Wakes someone up. All the caller will say is "turn on your tv." Then they turn on the tv, and the exact information they need is shown.
And then they turn the TV off immediately after, so we don't get to see what the station showed next.
Old 03-13-21, 09:30 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Instead of telling you, how about you see if you can spot it in these clips.

Old 03-13-21, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

When a character starts coughing to indicate that they have a dire illness that's going to kill them.

Spoiler:

ddrknghtrtns (03-14-21)
Old 03-14-21, 05:06 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

People always leaving huge plates of food sitting uneaten while they jump up to do.......whatever.

I guess that's better than watching them masticate.
Old 03-14-21, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

The overuse of music to tell you exactly how to feel in a given scene.
Kurt D (03-14-21)
Old 03-14-21, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,078 Likes on 585 Posts

I also cringe when a movie uses crass behavior to show that a character is "stupid". I watched part of "Dumb and Dumber" to oblige a friend, and the jokes weren't "dumb", they were crass.
The people in Idiocracy were stupid, but much of what was shown was merely bad taste.
Kurt D (03-14-21)
Old 03-14-21, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
People always leaving huge plates of food sitting uneaten while they jump up to do.......whatever.

I guess that's better than watching them masticate.

I feel that way when character A goes over to character B’s house. Character A gives that person something to drink (homemade tea, freshly opened beer bottle), and then Character B takes a sip and has to leave unexpectedly. How rude!!!! Haha

Old 03-14-21, 11:32 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I don't think I noticed it when I first watched this film, but since I was looking for something, I spotted it right away...and yeah, super annoying.
Old 03-14-21, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Kurt D (03-14-21)
Old 03-14-21, 03:02 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Straight white teeth when there shouldn't be any. See 10,000 BC for the worst offender.
Old 03-14-21, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts

There is no such thing as "movie amnesia" where you have normal cognitive functioning but can't remember who you are and where you are from. I like The Bourne Identity as much as the next person, but that is bullshit that never happens in real life.
Maybe Memento amnesia is possible at least in theory.
IBJoel (03-15-21)
Old 03-14-21, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I watch a lot of westerns, both movies and old TV shows, on the Western Channel. The heroes always get into fistfights where each party is clearly damaged, wounded and would have heavy bruise marks on their faces and bodies, what with punches, broken chairs, etc., as well as broken knuckles from hitting another guy's jaw, yet in the next scene they're all clean and mended and back to work as if nothing had happened. And, worse, when the hero gets shot, it's always a "graze" or a "flesh wound" or when it's worse, like a bullet or arrow in the shoulder he wears a sling for a scene or two before the wound has miraculously healed. Yet when he shoots an Indian or a bad guy, they die right away from one shot. (We see modern versions of this kind of thing in numerous action franchises like the John Wick movies.)

The more realistic version of a physical fight happens so rarely that when it does you really remember it. In one episode of "Wanted Dead or Alive," Steve McQueen gets into a fight with a Korean laborer on a rail gang (played by Japanese actor Robert Kino), who does martial arts on McQueen, seriously injuring him and leaving him out of action for most of the episode. I'm speculating that McQueen, who later studied under Bruce Lee, clearly understood that after such a fight he would not have been able to be up and about and insisted the script reflect that to demonstrate the power of the character's particular martial art. (The episode is called "Black Belt.") But it was so rare.
I liked in Last Action Hero when Arnold gets shot in the chest and is dying, then they get him back to the movie world and the doctor says something like “Why are you wasting my time with this? It’s just a flesh wound!”
IBJoel (03-15-21)
Old 03-14-21, 10:33 PM

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
also can't stand how Lando Calrissian pronounces 'Han' like 'hand' when everyone else pronounces it like 'dawn'.
This reminds me of a thread I started 15 years ago about filmmakers remembering movies incorrectly. George Lucas has some fascinating pronunciations for the characters in his galaxy far, far away.
Old 03-14-21, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan

Okay, care to share what it is? I've watched twice and don't see it (I'm embarrassingly ignorant about scientific stuff, so if it's something like "shadows in space don't move that fast" I have no idea what's realistic and what isn't).
Old 03-14-21, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by story
This reminds me of a thread I started 15 years ago about filmmakers remembering movies incorrectly. George Lucas has some fascinating pronunciations for the characters in his galaxy far, far away.
lotta Han talk in that thread. I liked the reply stating "people pronounce words differently all the time", yeah words maybe, not names. It's not like some people say Fred and others say Frid.
Old 03-15-21, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Okay, care to share what it is? I've watched twice and don't see it (I'm embarrassingly ignorant about scientific stuff, so if it's something like "shadows in space don't move that fast" I have no idea what's realistic and what isn't).
It's something more basic. Something no one does in real life, but they're doing here.
Old 03-15-21, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

I don't like when they say the name of the movie in the movie. I make some exceptions when the title is generic or if they use some some derivative, but I really don't like it most of the time. Even when The Dark Knight does it, I'm like, "ugh".

I also hate that almost every zombie movie takes place in a world where zombie movies don't exist, so half the runtime is spent arguing about what's going on.
Kurt D (03-15-21)
Old 03-15-21, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IBJoel
I don't like when they say the name of the movie in the movie. I make some exceptions when the title is generic or if they use some some derivative, but I really don't like it most of the time. Even when The Dark Knight does it, I'm like, "ugh".
IBJoel (03-16-21)
Old 03-15-21, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a Vietnam War movie that didn’t use CCRs “Fortunate Son” or Jimi Hendrix’s “All Along the Watchtower”.
Were either of those used in Platoon? I know they weren't on the official soundtrack album, but I don't remember them being used in the film.
Old 03-15-21, 12:43 PM

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
It's something more basic. Something no one does in real life, but they're doing here.
Actually... I... am doing it... right... now...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.