DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Cocaine Bear (2023, D: Banks, P: Lord/Miller) S: Russell, Liotta, Ehrenreich, Jackson, Ferguson (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/652578-cocaine-bear-2023-d-banks-p-lord-miller-s-russell-liotta-ehrenreich-jackson-ferguson.html)

dex14 03-09-21 04:17 PM

Cocaine Bear (2023, D: Banks, P: Lord/Miller) S: Russell, Liotta, Ehrenreich, Jackson, Ferguson

Elizabeth Banks has found her next directorial project with a bear-centric thriller that has Phil Lord and Chris Miller set to produce.

Universal is behind Cocaine Bear that is based on an untitled spec written by Jimmy Warden that is inspired by true events that took place in Kentucky in 1985.

The true story, as reported in 1985 by the New York Times, was that a 175-pound black bear consumed the contents of a duffle bag filled with over 70 pounds of cocaine that was dropped from an airplane by a local drug smuggler, Andrew Thornton. The bear was later found dead of an apparent drug overdose.

The exact plot details for the film, which is eyeing a summer shoot date, are being kept under wraps.

(Radio Silence — the filmmaking team consisting of Matt Bettinelli-Olpin, Tyler Gillett and Chad Villella that was behind Ready or Not — was set to direct a previous iteration of the project.)

The project will be produced under Lord Miller's first-look pact with Universal. Lord Miller president Aditya Sood brought the project to the studio and will also produce, along with Brian Duffield and Banks and Max Handelman via their Brownstone Productions banner. Executive vp production Matt Reilly and creative executive Christine Sun will oversee the pic on behalf of Universal.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...s2h06ebiWlIMSQ

Based on the title alone... SOLD. :lol:

E Unit 03-09-21 04:29 PM

re: Cocaine Bear (2023, D: Banks, P: Lord/Miller) S: Russell, Liotta, Ehrenreich, Jackson, Ferguson

Not a sequel to Brother Bear.

milo bloom 03-09-21 11:26 PM

re: Cocaine Bear (2023, D: Banks, P: Lord/Miller) S: Russell, Liotta, Ehrenreich, Jackson, Ferguson

175 lbs seems light for a bear, I’m right at 180 and I’m not big at all.

Coral 03-09-21 11:42 PM

I suspect there'll be a story line leading up to the events of the bear consuming the coke (or even after that event).

Unless it's focused on what the bear did while coked up - like partying Vegas with a young Charlie Sheen, etc.

Rob V 03-10-21 09:04 AM

What's the story here? Bear does lines with Boo-Boo, Smokey and Yogi and ODs... the end.

Decker 03-10-21 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13903317)
What's the story here? Bear does lines with Boo-Boo, Smokey and Yogi and ODs... the end.

It would still be better than the Charlie's Angels reboot.

Troy Stiffler 03-10-21 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13903317)

If I had to guess, it's about the people who dropped it from the plane and the people who were supposed to pick it up.

Or maybe the bear's journey into a life of partying, hookers, and eventual crack addiction.

milo bloom 03-10-21 09:43 AM

This story has been around a while, the best description I've read was along the lines of "for the last few hours of their life, that bear was the most dangerous predator that has ever walked the Earth".

Noonan 03-10-21 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13903332)
This story has been around a while, the best description I've read was along the lines of "for the last few hours of their life, that bear was the most dangerous predator that has ever walked the Earth".

So basically this will be that scene from The Revenant just with more people getting mauled? :lol:

I'm also curious what the actual film will be about.

cultshock 03-10-21 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13903226)

Yeah but the coke made him lose a lot of weight. :shrug:

Love the title. :lol:

wishbone 03-10-21 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by cultshock (Post 13903338)

https://y.yarn.co/3f936b58-e919-4920...c0_text_hi.gif

PhantomStranger 03-10-21 04:14 PM

I'll give them this - it's a catchy movie title. Doubt the movie is any good but a smart marketing campaign like the one they did for Snakes On a Plane could make it a moneymaker.

d2cheer 03-10-21 04:17 PM

Ummm... maybe not but are you.... ah... you know furry in all the right areas???

Michael Corvin 03-10-21 06:09 PM

Alright as one of the two resident Kentuckians I gotta say, this is the first I've heard of this story, but what a story. :lol: I mean with Lord & Miller and Banks it has to be a comedy right?

Not only that but he consumed over 1/3rd of his body weight? Sounds weird, but then again so does the whole damn thing.

Michael Corvin 03-10-21 06:30 PM

Alright, I had to know more...

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...25f75d6382.jpg

The blue bloods of Kentucky want you to associate their state with thoroughbred racehorses, or bourbon, or even Abraham Lincoln. They would rather not add Cocaine Bear to the roster of Kentucky immortals, but it's too late now. The bear has become an official state icon, thanks to Whit Hiler and Griffin VanMeter.

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/attr...ebear_ks17.jpg

Cocaine Bear was briefly famous in 1985, when it was found dead after eating roughly $15 million worth of coke from a duffle bag dropped from a drug smuggler's airplane. The smuggler, Andrew Carter Thornton II, was the wealthy son of an elite Kentucky horse-breeding family. According to a display at Georgia Bureau of Investigation headquarters (famous for exhibiting the Monkey From Mars), Thornton fell to his death when he bailed out of the plane, "hit his head on the tail of the aircraft," and didn't open his parachute until it was too late.

Thornton's body was found in a driveway in Knoxville, Tennessee. Nine coke-stuffed duffle bags were eventually recovered along his plane's flight path. Cocaine Bear was found three months later, in the woods just south of the Tennessee-Georgia state line, sprawled next to the ripped-open 10th bag. All of its coke -- about 76 pounds -- was gone.

Decades passed. Griffin and Whit, also sons of the Bluegrass State (like Thornton), made headlines in 2011 when they launched a tongue-in-cheek campaign to replace Kentucky's lame tourism slogan, Unbridled Spirit, with one of their own, Kentucky Kicks Ass. "A bureaucrat in the tourism office said, 'Those guys have a constituency of no one,'" Griffin recalled, "but those no ones bought a lot of our Kentucky Kicks Ass t-shirts."

Encouraged, Griffin and Whit opened a brick-and-mortar store -- the Kentucky for Kentucky Fun Mall -- as a marketplace for locals to sell quirky home-state items such as gold-plated KFC breastbone necklaces and fried-chicken-scented candles. They also wanted their store to showcase unusual Kentucky relics, and that's when they remembered Cocaine Bear. "Growing up here, I remember hearing about it a lot," said Whit. Could it possibly still be around?

Griffin and Whit spoke with the medical examiner who'd performed the bear's necropsy. Even after 30 years he remembered the bear. He told them:

"Its stomach was literally packed to the brim with cocaine. There isn't a mammal on the planet that could survive that. Cerebral hemorrhaging, respiratory failure, hyperthermia, renal failure, heart failure, stroke. You name it, that bear had it."

The bear looked good despite its catastrophic demise, so it was stuffed and put on display at a local recreation area -- without reference to its awkward past. But the bear's history was known to a few, and it somehow found its way into the hands of a Nashville pawnbroker. He sold the bear to outlaw country star Waylon Jennings, who gave it to a Las Vegas hustler who was familiar with Andrew Thornton. When both Jennings and the hustler died, the bear was bought by a Chinese herbalist in Reno.

When the herbalist died, his widow kept it -- until she was tracked down by Griffin and Whit. She gladly gave them the bear, who arrived in the Fun Mall in August 2015.

"You wouldn't think that a Cocaine Bear would be for all ages, but kids love it," said Griffin. "Everybody wants their picture with Cocaine Bear." The Fun Mall has a liberal policy with shutterbugs, who are encouraged to come into the store (a former parachute factory) and take as many photos with the bear in as many ridiculous poses as they want.

Griffin and Whit are attentive parents to their furry showpiece. Cocaine Bear is given regular cleanings and outfitted with a Kentucky hat and an oversized gold chain. Dangling from its neck is a flashy sign that gives the bear's proper name ("Pablo EskoBear") and ends with this warning: "Don't do drugs or you'll end up dead (and maybe stuffed) like poor Cocaine Bear."
Details on visiting Cocaine Bear:
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/50220

jpcamb 03-11-21 09:51 AM

so the bear ate all the coke and died next to the bag? Not as much a story as I had hoped... :(

Rob V 03-11-21 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by cultshock (Post 13903338)

And his cave was immaculately clean lol

milo bloom 03-11-21 03:11 PM

I lived in KY for years and never heard of that being there, I absolutely would have gone if I had known.

dex14 07-01-21 02:40 PM

EXCLUSIVE: In her second directorial feature for Universal, Elizabeth Banks has set quite the cast, tapping Keri Russell, O’Shea Jackson, Ray Liotta, Alden Ehrenreich and Jesse Tyler Fergusonto star in Cocaine Bear.

Production is set to begin August 23 in Ireland. Jimmy Warden wrote the script that’s described as a character-driven thriller inspired by true events that took place in Kentucky in 1985. Additional information is being kept under wraps.

Decker 07-01-21 02:43 PM

They buried the headline there. They're shooting a Kentucky-set fact-based movie in IRELAND?

milo bloom 07-01-21 04:41 PM

KY probably doesn't have any tax credit plans for filming.

There's certainly still plenty of wilderness areas they could use. Heck, you could walk a few hundred yards behind my BIL and MIL's places and be in the wilderness.

Michael Corvin 07-02-21 03:22 PM

Seriously, they can't film in KY? Lame.

dex14 08-20-21 06:35 PM

That logo rocks. I hope they keep it.

dex14 11-28-22 12:01 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...037d6b6212.png

Decker 11-28-22 12:03 PM

Re: Cocaine Bear (2023, D: Banks, P: Lord/Miller) S: Russell, Liotta, Ehrenreich, Jackson, Ferguson

Where's my trailer? :mad: