Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Most underrated gem in a director or writers resume?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Most underrated gem in a director or writers resume?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-21, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Most underrated gem in a director or writers resume?

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Sidney Lumet. That reminds me. Equus. Great film. But intense and depressing as hell.
Haven't seen that one in a long time, need to revisit. As for Lumet, one of his underrated gems for me is Q&A.
Old 03-09-21, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Miracles (aka Mr. Canton and Lady Rose) by Jackie Chan. A 2-hour epic with exactly two martial arts/action scenes, but it's proof that Jackie had great skill as a director. I say "had", because after some difficult productions he chose to just work in front of the camera rather than both act and direct.

This may seem a little odd since it's a fairly well-known film, but One Missed Call by Takashi Miike. The reason I include it though, is because Miike is known as an inventive and daring director, and here he is making a typical "scary girl" movie that were so prevalent in Asian horror in the late 90s/early 00s. But when you watch it, despite the usual tropes, it's definitely a Miike film, and his style jumps right through all the cliches
The following users liked this post:
Hubbub (03-12-21)
Old 03-09-21, 11:34 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
This may seem a little odd since it's a fairly well-known film, but One Missed Call by Takashi Miike. The reason I include it though, is because Miike is known as an inventive and daring director, and here he is making a typical "scary girl" movie that were so prevalent in Asian horror in the late 90s/early 00s. But when you watch it, despite the usual tropes, it's definitely a Miike film, and his style jumps right through all the cliches
Nice, I hadn't seen it, checked the usual streaming sites and found it for $2.99 on
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-09-21, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Haven't seen that one in a long time, need to revisit. As for Lumet, one of his underrated gems for me is Q&A.
Night Falls on Manhattan is a good one too. I guess he was a great filmmaker.
Old 03-09-21, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

I liked it, some of the logic/plot is weird. But if I were to pick something from Miike it would be Visitor Q.
Old 03-09-21, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Didn't expect so many Woody Allen responses. To me his most underated film is September. It's a fantastic film thats been nearly forgotten.
Oh man. Gotta disagree there. It's ok, but relatively speaking I think September is his worst of the 80's and the movie that ended one of the greatest prolonged stretches of classics any director has ever put out. (Depending on how one feels about a Midsummer's Sex comedy that is. I think it's fun.)
Old 03-09-21, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Miracles (aka Mr. Canton and Lady Rose) by Jackie Chan. A 2-hour epic with exactly two martial arts/action scenes, but it's proof that Jackie had great skill as a director. I say "had", because after some difficult productions he chose to just work in front of the camera rather than both act and direct.
I love Miracles. There's not a lot of action, but what's there is incredible. I will say having rewatched it recently (via the great 88 Films Blu), the first half hour and the last half hour are a blast, but that middle hour drags quite a bit.
Hubbub (03-12-21)
Old 03-09-21, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it's been a while since I've seen it (only have the US DVD, guess I gotta get that 88 Films Blu...), but I do love the movie. Big change of pace for Jackie, and I like the musical sequence.

While I'm mentioning Asian films, let me also add Park Chan-Wook's I'm A Cyborg But That's OK. He's well known for the "Vengeance" films and other movies like Thirst, Stoker, and The Handmaiden, but Cyborg may actually be my favorite of his. A young girl believes she's a cyborg and therefore doesn't need to eat. She's committed to a mental hospital where a young man falls in love with her. Unfortunately, she's dying because she's self-starving herself. The young man is the only one who can save her, and he does it by playing into her illness rather than getting her to face reality, and maybe her delusional world is better than the real one anyway. It's just a wonderful movie from beginning to end.
Old 03-09-21, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Paul Schrader

Cat People

I know many consider this to be Schrader's worst film and a shallow imitation of the original, but I've always enjoyed this over-the-top remake for its sleek stylism and for enthusiastically throwing in all the gore, nudity and cat effects that were only implied in the original. And it also features Nastassia Kinski at the height (and beginning of the end) of her Hollywood stardom.
Dr. DVD (03-09-21)
Old 03-09-21, 06:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by clappj
If you have a region-free BR player, there's a R2 Lionsgate release coming out in April. https://www.amazon.com/The-Limey-Blu-ray/dp/B084XT1HQ2

The film is also available for digital purchase in 4K UHD format from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Limey-4K-UHD-.../dp/B082LPTJ51
yeah, I actually bought that digital some time ago with the new cover art. Not sure if that means different version, but I figure streaming is streaming and most likely same as before if it was before. Are there extras? I would need extras on this puppy. I don’t know why we don’t have any physical in US. Soderbergh certainly has every other on his resume out. This happens to be upper echelon imo.
Old 03-09-21, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Paul Schrader

Cat People

I know many consider this to be Schrader's worst film and a shallow imitation of the original, but I've always enjoyed this over-the-top remake for its sleek stylism and for enthusiastically throwing in all the gore, nudity and cat effects that were only implied in the original. And it also features Nastassia Kinski at the height (and beginning of the end) of her Hollywood stardom.

That movie is so unabashedly 80s. Synth music score, gory practical effects, and a hot actress who isn't afraid to get naked. That's why I love it too.

My pick: Ridley Scott's Black Rain. Kind of underperformed when it was released, but it's aged really well and makes a good companion piece to Blade Runner. What's cool is that it's not elaborate sets Scott is using, but actual places in Japan.
Old 03-09-21, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Paul Schrader

Cat People

I'm not a big fan of Cat People (besides the totally gratuitous Annette O'Toole nude scene).
I recently discovered Light Sleeper streaming on Amazon Prime Video and really liked it. Dafoe is excellent. It's worth checking out.
inri222 (03-12-21)
Old 03-09-21, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm not a big fan of Cat People (besides the totally gratuitous Annette O'Toole nude scene).
Gratuitous? That scene was essential....for my enjoyment of Cat People. That scene and Ed Begley getting his arm ripped off.
Hubbub (03-12-21)
Old 03-10-21, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I recently discovered Light Sleeper streaming on Amazon Prime Video and really liked it. Dafoe is excellent. It's worth checking out.
I recall seeing "Cat People" with my girlfriend at the time, and I enjoyed it while she found it laughable. It was generally hated, as I recall. I was surprised when (pretentious, -but in a good way) SF magazine Cinefantastique printed a lengthy appreciation of the film. Paul Schrader's definitely has an interesting filmography.

Last edited by DWilson; 03-11-21 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-10-21, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Another underappreciated Scorsese pic is his Cape Fear remake.
Old 03-10-21, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Another underappreciated Scorsese pic is his Cape Fear remake.
From a listing of Scorsese's top-grossing movies :

It was nominated for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress Oscars, and was the inspiration for one of the 10 Best Simpson Episodes Ever. I don't think it's under-appreciated or underrated.
Old 03-10-21, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Dennis Hopper's best film as a director.

inri222 (03-12-21)
Old 03-11-21, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

PTA's Hard Eight.
Raimi's Quick and the Dead.
Old 03-11-21, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Stendhal Syndrome by Dario Argento
inri222 (03-12-21)
Old 03-11-21, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
PTA's Hard Eight.
Raimi's Quick and the Dead.
I keep forgetting Raimi directed that. Have the 4K and need to watch again
Old 03-11-21, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by rexinnih
I keep forgetting Raimi directed that. Have the 4K and need to watch again
I find it's the polished product of what he was trying to do with Army of Darkness and Darkman.. with a bigger budget, an incredible cast and a western setting. Before he changes does A Simple Plan, For Love of the Game and The Gift... which don't feel like Raimi films.
Old 03-11-21, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

It was nominated for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress Oscars, and was the inspiration for one of the 10 Best Simpson Episodes Ever. I don't think it's under-appreciated or underrated.
Critics at the time, even those who liked the movie, thought Scorsese was slumming it with a genre film.
Old 03-11-21, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Shortbus

Forget Hedwig. Shortbus is a far more affecting and compelling film in John Cameron Mitchell's, albeit, short filmography.

Last edited by PatD; 03-11-21 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-11-21, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
Shortbus

Forget Hedwig. Shortbus is a far more affecting and compelling film in his, albeit, short filmography.
I will never forget "Hedwig". And think "Rabbit Hole" is better than "Shortbus".
Old 03-11-21, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I will never forget "Hedwig". And think "Rabbit Hole" is better than "Shortbus".
To each their own (which was a running theme in Shortbus).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.