Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Untitled Star Trek Film from Discovery writer

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-04-21, 06:26 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Kalinda Vazquez has been set by Paramount Pictures to write a Star Trek movie. JJ Abrams’ Bad Robot is producing.

Vazquez has written on Star Trek: Discovery, and insiders said this is a blind deal for an original movie that she hatched, one that expands her role in the Trek Universe. Vazquez was a co-executive producer on Fear the Walking Dead. She also got her name from the original Star Trek series, after a character from the second-season episode “By Any Other Name.” In the 1968 episode, the character’s name was Kelinda.

Vazquez just made a splash in teaming with Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin on an HBO series adaptation of the Roger Zelazny sci-fi novel Roadmarks. Vazquez’s TV credits include Marvel’s Runaways, Once Upon a Time, Nikita, Human Target and Prison Break, and she recently adapted Barrier, based on a Brian K. Vaughan graphic novel, for Legendary Television.

The most recent big-screen voyage of the Starship Enterprise came in 2016’s Star Trek Beyond. There have been several attempts at mounting another movie, including one by The Revenant‘s Mark L. Smith that Quentin Tarantino and Abrams hatched, and another by Fargo‘s Noah Hawley. Both of those cooled: Tarantino stepped out of the first project, and Hawley told Deadline last year that Paramount wanted to go another way with the franchise and pushed pause on his film.

Vazquez is represented by Kaplan/Perrone Entertainment and Bruce Gellman at Hansen, Jacobson, and she recently returned to the fold at WME.
https://deadline.com/2021/03/star-tr...nt-1234706899/
Old 03-04-21, 06:35 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Untitled Star Trek Film from Discovery writer

I hope it stars Michael Burnham!

(said nobody ever)
The following users liked this post:
The Antipodean (04-10-21)
Old 03-04-21, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Old 03-04-21, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I feel like these writers could do something much more interesting with Trek if freed from the confines of the Discovery crew. The second season with Pike kinda proves that point.
John Pannozzi (03-05-21)
Old 03-05-21, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 953 Likes on 661 Posts

Untitled Star Trek film
....from Discovery writer
Old 03-11-21, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I would be all in if it was set in the Discovery universe but the Pike crew. Anson was boss in the role, and so was Romjin as Numero Uno. Spock was cool too. Fine to have some cameos from Saru and Burnham (dear god no Tilly) but I want to see Pike kicking ass across the universe.

I watched Beyond recently and honestly see no reason to continue with that crew.
Old 03-11-21, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I would be all in if it was set in the Discovery universe but the Pike crew. Anson was boss in the role, and so was Romjin as Numero Uno. Spock was cool too. Fine to have some cameos from Saru and Burnham (dear god no Tilly) but I want to see Pike kicking ass across the universe.

I watched Beyond recently and honestly see no reason to continue with that crew.
You know they're making a Pike series with Anson Mount, right? They're getting their own show.

And I can't understand the hate for Beyond - they finally broke ground into a new story idea with the younger crew and gave us a rousing adventure. We should have had 5-6 films with that cast by now.
IBJoel (03-11-21)
Old 03-11-21, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
And I can't understand the hate for Beyond - they finally broke ground into a new story idea with the younger crew and gave us a rousing adventure. We should have had 5-6 films with that cast by now.
I like the three "new" movies a lot and I was exicted by the idea of the 2 Kirks in a fourth installment.

Although it's not the reason why, I'm glad they didn't continue the series after Anton Yelchin's death.

Star Trek has to take a step into the future. I get why the restarted the movie franchise with the most famous characters, but I don't get why the didn't continue the tv series after TNG/DS9/VOY. Jump ahead in the story like they did with TNG. Discovery is the best looking Star Trek show to date, but it starts even befor TOS? The technolgy is even more advanced than in Voyager or the last TNG movies.
Picard isn't a great show either, but at least it took the franchise into the future.

So please take the movie into the future, too. You shouldn't look more futuristic than Star Trek: Nemesis if you're in the past.
John Pannozzi (03-12-21)
Old 03-11-21, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

And I can't understand the hate for Beyond - they finally broke ground into a new story idea with the younger crew and gave us a rousing adventure.
1. They blew up the Enterprise at the beginning of the movie.
2. Another antagonist with a vendetta against Starfleet. Third in a row...
3. It was boring and hard to follow.

We should have had 5-6 films with that cast by now.
This, however, I agree with.

I think the Kelvinverse was huge wasted opportunity, where they could have done things that weren't possible in the Prime Universe.

Like, say, what if, after Khan went to Qonos in Into Darkness, he ended up as the Klingon leader, and set the whole Klingon Empire against the Federation? A big budget remake of "The Doomsday Machine?" Kirk, Spock, and crew vs. the Borg? A crossover between the TOS and TNG crews, which would then be used to spin off a Kelvinverse TNG movie series.

Old 03-12-21, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
1. They blew up the Enterprise at the beginning of the movie.
2. Another antagonist with a vendetta against Starfleet. Third in a row...
3. It was boring and hard to follow.
I think dipping into the ENT era for that one character helped make a difference. Shows that Starfleet makes mistakes.

This, however, I agree with.

I think the Kelvinverse was huge wasted opportunity, where they could have done things that weren't possible in the Prime Universe.

Like, say, what if, after Khan went to Qonos in Into Darkness, he ended up as the Klingon leader, and set the whole Klingon Empire against the Federation? A big budget remake of "The Doomsday Machine?" Kirk, Spock, and crew vs. the Borg? A crossover between the TOS and TNG crews, which would then be used to spin off a Kelvinverse TNG movie series.
Yeah, agreed, a lot of missed opportunities. Instead of remaking Wrath of Khan (which relied on both the real and fictional passage of time since Kirk met Khan, and we didn't see in the new movies), instead they should have remade Space Seed. That would have been something interesting to see with a feature film budget.

And you've read the theory about the planet-killer from The Doomsday Machine being theorized as an anti-Borg machine, right? That's a crossover I'd love to see on the big screen.
Old 04-09-21, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Paramount Studios Announces New Star Trek Movie Release Date

Here's what we know.

Today, Paramount Studios announced that they will be releasing an untitled Star Trek Universe movie on June 9, 2023. As of now, the film is untitled.

This will be the first new Star Trek film since the last installment in the Kelvin-verse series, Star Trek Beyond, director Justin Lin's 2016 installment. As of now, there is no official information concerning the director of this latest movie, nor do we know whether or not we'll be exploring more of the Kelvin-verse, perhaps pick up from where Star Trek: Nemesis left off with The Next Generation films, or if the film will follow a new plot entirely through the Prime timeline.

Stay tuned to StarTrek.com, your only official source for Star Trek film news, for more details.
https://www.startrek.com/news/paramo...hKKpTm0o6lCC18

Not sure if this new film is the one this thread is referring to or another one. Either way looks like we’re supposed to get something new on June 9th, 2023.
Old 04-09-21, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally. I can't understand why Paramount sleeps on this franchise.
Old 04-09-21, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Star Trek has long seemed to be the red headed stepchild of Paramount. It’s no surprise to me.
Old 04-09-21, 05:18 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I miss the Trek of old where they actually had dialogue rather than blowing shit up all the time.
Old 04-09-21, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
I miss the Trek of old where they actually had dialogue rather than blowing shit up all the time.
Seconded.

We will never see anything warm, tender and human like Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home as a Trek movie again. It's all The Fast and the Furious in Space. Hard pass.

Last edited by PatD; 04-10-21 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-10-21, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope they try something new and in the future. No old characters, no Enterprise.
Old 04-10-21, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Runaway
I hope they try something new and in the future. No old characters, no Enterprise.
No audience.

As we have seen, the Star Trek brand isn't a guarantee for success. Launching a new franchise under the Star Trek banner at a nine-figure budget film is a huge risk.

It can be done, but it's a huge gamble that mainstream moviegoers will show up for something they aren't familiar with. It's why every single movie has been centered on the Enterprise and a crew of familiar names.

They also sort of walk a tightrope where a Star Trek needs to be a big special effects-driven action movie, but still be Star Trekkish enough to satisfy the Star Trek fans. (Again, to pull in the casual fans and mainstream viewers.)
IBJoel (04-12-21)
Old 04-10-21, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As much as I don’t necessarily want to see it I can totally envision an alternate timeline version of TNG at some point in the future. It would make some sense and would be easier to market than a fresh crew.
Old 04-10-21, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Honestly, I don't think we need feature films for Star Trek in this day and age. The only one that really massively connected with all audiences was Star Trek IV, released at Christmastime 1986 and became the family movie of the season. Not to say they didn't have better movies ("Wrath of Khan") or blockbuster hits ("Trek 2009"), but if Paramount's gonna invest in this franchise, they want something that will play to the Disney/Marvel crowd. Or their wallets.

I'd rather they continue what they're doing with their streaming shows. I was mixed on Picard but Discovery and Lower Decks are quality. I'd like to see them push the franchise forward. No more prequels, remakes, early days, etc.
Old 04-10-21, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think that Paramount really screwed the pooch with the Kelvinverse.

They should have approached this as an alternate universe, much like Marvel's Ultimate Universe, where they updated the classic characters for a new audience. Big, loud special effects movies full of action and excitement.

But Into Darkness and Beyond were such bland, shitty stories that they killed the franchise. They should have looked at this like, hey, we have big budgets and 21st century special effects technology, let's do some crazy shit we couldn't have done with the old crew. Have the Klingons find the Botany Bay, Khan fights his way to leadership of the Klingons, and starts a war with Earth. Have Kirk and Spock face off against the Borg. Update The Doomsday Machine into some kind of crazy Lovecraftian/Unicron type of monstrosity instead of just a big foil cone. Do things that couldn't be done thirty or forty years ago.

And, the kicker, do a Kelvinverse crossover with the full TOS and TNG crews in their primes, which would then lead into a TNG series of films doing cool stuff like an ultimate Q continuum storyline (a war between the Q and other god-like beings like Trelane, the Organians, the Travelers, the Metrons?), a TNG "Mirror" movie, a super-evolved Borg returning after their defeat by Kirk (with 7 of 9?), a Dominion arc (and DS9 appearance/spin-off?) etc.

The tv series/streaming series would continue to explore and expand the "Prime" universe, while the Kelvinverse was the exclusive domain of the movie theaters.
John Pannozzi (04-11-21)
Old 04-10-21, 06:56 PM

The more they try to make Trek mainstream, the more I love Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Old 04-11-21, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
No audience.

As we have seen, the Star Trek brand isn't a guarantee for success. Launching a new franchise under the Star Trek banner at a nine-figure budget film is a huge risk.

It can be done, but it's a huge gamble that mainstream moviegoers will show up for something they aren't familiar with. It's why every single movie has been centered on the Enterprise and a crew of familiar names.

They also sort of walk a tightrope where a Star Trek needs to be a big special effects-driven action movie, but still be Star Trekkish enough to satisfy the Star Trek fans. (Again, to pull in the casual fans and mainstream viewers.)
They just could go back to making cheaper movies though. Don't spent 150 million on a Star Trek movie. We have seen two attemps in cinemas. The first one was a continuation of a TV series which is a hard sell for the general audience especially if the movies themselves are telling an ongoing story like most of the TOS movies. The second attempt was the reemagination of TOS with a much higher budget. So why not trying a new Star Trek, new for fans and the general audience as well, but on a reasonable budget.

TV shows like Star Trek: Discovery or Lost in Space look awesome, better than a lot of big budget movies and I doubt that an episode costs 50 million. The although some extra funds for better screenwriting wouldn't have hurt.
Old 04-11-21, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Runaway
They just could go back to making cheaper movies though.
This. The Motion Picture was the most expensive but not the most well received (though I've grown to adore it). Wrath of Khan was given a comparatively TV movie-level budget (compared to TMP) and it's the one that is the most remembered even 40 years later. Yeah, yeah, that was nearly four decades ago, but I think the principle still applies. But giving a Trek movie an Avengers: Endgame level budget and expecting a box office return on par with A:E, is utterly idiotic. Trek needs a new TWOK that isn't simply a mindless rip-off of TWOK. Make Trek THOUGHTFUL, MEANINGFUL and FUN and they might have something again.
John Pannozzi (04-11-21)
Old 04-11-21, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But isn’t it still an issue that Trek movies don’t do well outside of North America? And modern movie production requires funding from Asian countries and they’re not as likely to invest in something like this.

The TOS movies did well enough because the original cast had so much cultural karma built up.

The Abrams films did okay just because they were done as big action films.

I just don’t think Trek should bother with movies until they get another cast that builds up a cache of goodwill with the fans and even then they shouldn’t dump a lot of money into it.
John Pannozzi (04-11-21)
Old 04-11-21, 10:44 AM

But isn’t it still an issue that Trek movies don’t do well outside of North America? And modern movie production requires funding from Asian countries and they’re not as likely to invest in something like this.

The TOS movies did well enough because the original cast had so much cultural karma built up.

The Abrams films did okay just because they were done as big action films.

I just don’t think Trek should bother with movies until they get another cast that builds up a cache of goodwill with the fans and even then they shouldn’t dump a lot of money into it.
Yeah, you're right. However the TNG cast had a mondo public goodwill after their seven season run and it didn't help them in their last two movies. But then the TNG movies just needed a consistent vision of where they were going and better writing.
John Pannozzi (04-11-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.