Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

CINEFEX is shutting down after 41 years.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-21, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

https://cinefex.com/media/Message_fr..._022232021.htm

CINEFEX (1980-2021)

A year ago this month, Cinefex celebrated its 40th anniversary.

Historically, it was a publishing landmark few magazines achieve, and we were immensely proud of our accomplishment and grateful to those whose support and dedication helped us to achieve it.

Then the world upended.

Within weeks, the coronavirus pandemic swept across the planet, deadly and implacable; and to this date, its inexorable march through countries, communities and families remains largely unchecked.

The human toll has been devastating, but so, too, the toll upon businesses, countless numbers of which shut down due to economic necessity or government mandate.

More than 100,000 of those businesses, in the U.S. alone, will never reopen.

We are deeply sad to announce that Cinefex will be among them.

The pandemic deprived us of subject matter, retail outlets, and, most critically, advertisers, many of whom, like us, struggled to remain afloat in a climate of intense turmoil and uncertainty.

We did our best to weather the storm, but ultimately the storm prevailed.

We have just shipped the final issue of a magazine that has documented and celebrated one of the most vibrant and exciting art forms in entertainment history. It has been our great honor and privilege to do so. We bid you a fond farewell.

Gregg Shay
Publisher
Old 03-01-21, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: CINEFEX is shutting down after 41 years.

I had no idea they were still around. I never had a sub, but I'd grab the occasional issue back in the day. It was always a quality publication. Sorry to see them fold.
Old 03-01-21, 10:58 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

It was a quality publication mag but sadly the newsstand market has been dying. Other than seeing the magazine at the B&N and airport newsstands, I don't know where else was it available.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (03-05-21)
Old 03-01-21, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Magazines were in trouble before the pandemic.
Old 03-01-21, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Magazines were in trouble before the pandemic.
It's been a slow death spiral since the rise of the internet. Websites can now publish the same content that was once exclusive to magazines (and newspapers) with no lead time. "Old news for $5.95 a month" now had to compete with instant and free.
Old 03-01-21, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

I like print/physical media.

I still collect those "Art of/Making of" books for a variety of films (I think I have the entire Marvel collection, with some still on preorder). This publication was a nice alternative, when certain films didn't release any extensive behind-the-scenes material.
The following 2 users liked this post by candyrocket786:
Brian T (03-01-21), John Pannozzi (03-05-21)
Old 03-01-21, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Other than seeing the magazine at the B&N and airport newsstands, I don't know where else was it available.
I still have a few issues from the olden days when the production methods involved far more hands-on craftsmanship, but whenever I'd visit a B&N during trips to the states, I'd always skim through the latest issue but never felt compelled to buy one because I basically knew how the vast majority of the special effects were achieved today: CGI. One could only view so many 'before' shots of actors posed in front of green screens beside 'after shots' of elaborate, ultra-photorealistic final composites (something I'd already watched in the films themselves and knew how they did it) to realize I wasn't going to learn anything revelatory because the majority of modern effects work involves people sitting motionless at computer desks, which isn't very exciting. I think regarding the special effects industry in particular, the genie really came out of the bottle in the era of exhaustive DVD supplements (and certain LD supplements before that), and even moreso in the era of YouTube, where everyone and their mother could not only deconstruct the "magic" of any new film, but also create digital effects sequences of near-equal quality with off-the-shelf or cloud software accessible to all. Nothing surprises me anymore, but as long as the digital trickery is in the service of a compelling story backed up by confident technique (which is also easier with today's limitless tech), I'm fine with that. You kinda know the era of 'discovery' for this kind of stuff is over when it's practically second nature to public school kids.

Last edited by Brian T; 03-01-21 at 12:41 PM.
Red Hood (03-01-21)
Old 03-01-21, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Sad to hear, I collected them from 97-2008.

I echo Brian's thoughts 100% - behind the scenes making of films isn't nearly as interesting at it was before CG became commonplace. I was actually considering unloading my collection, other than my favs... maybe I'll pause that for now. Wish they were available to purchase digitally!
John Pannozzi (03-05-21)
Old 03-01-21, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I hung onto one that had the Millenium Falcon on the cover (probably late 90s) for the longest time. It's probably still in a box here somewhere.

I was always impressed how they even covered flicks I wasn't a fan of but still made it interesting.
Old 03-02-21, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Only time I truly had credits listed (company thank you splash pages) because of contractual limitations in features. I have a handful of issues during the 95-98 years because of the effects houses I worked in.

What I miss was the old Movie Magic/Mega Movie Magic tv show which was a great companion to Cinefex.
Old 03-03-21, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 445 Likes on 251 Posts

I use to buy it back in the days when practical effects were still being done, but I lost interest when CGI came around. I have no interest in reading about that, nor watching special features on Blu-rays that talk about CGI.