DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Francis Ford Coppola vs Sergio Leone (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/652492-francis-ford-coppola-vs-sergio-leone.html)

SeeingThings 02-24-21 02:09 PM

Francis Ford Coppola vs Sergio Leone

which
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...43099b4b5.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...af2e7e44b.jpeg

Which director do you like more?

E Unit 02-24-21 02:12 PM

Re: Francis Ford Coppola vs Sergio Leone

Yes.

Toddarino 02-24-21 02:19 PM

i really enjoy Coppola’s four films from 74-79. There’s no doubting they are classics, but Leone made the greatest western of all time among four other films that fall into that classic category.

Nick Danger 02-24-21 04:21 PM

Selected filmographies

Coppola:
Patton (Script)
Godfather
The Conversation
Godfather II
Apocalypse Now

Leone:
Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Once Upon a Time in the West
Duck You Sucker
Once Upon a Time in America

I love GBU and OUaTitW. But Coppola had one of the greatest runs of all time in the 1970s. I vote Coppola.

GoldenJCJ 02-24-21 05:10 PM

After checking their filmographies, color me surprised that Leone only directed 8 movies. I assumed there were far more than that. Of those 8, I love three (A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and GBU). I enjoy Duck, You Sucker but it felt about 30 minutes too long and as for as much love as OUATITW gets, I’ve never been able to finish it. It just bored me, despite the beautiful cinematography.

FFC had an amazing run in the 70s but his output has been shit for a long time now.

The choice is actually closer than I would have guessed. Ultimately, I think I prefer The Godfather movies and Apocalypse Now over The Man with No Name trilogy so I’ll go with Coppola. If you ask me this question tomorrow, I might have a different answer for you.

rexinnih 02-24-21 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13896389)
Yes.

This. But.........Apocalypse Now is on the all time favorite list of five if I ever had to choose a favorite movie so that makes my vote for FFC.

inri222 02-27-21 04:06 PM

Coppola’s record may be spotty, but I’m going to have to go with him for making four of the greatest films of all time: Apocalypse Now, Godfather I & II, and The Conversation. There are also a couple of others that while not on par with those four are also good: Rumble Fish, Tetro, and The Rain People.

I like Leone a lot, but for me three of his films stand out: Once Upon a Time in the West, Once Upon a Time in America, and The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. And of those three I would only classify Once Upon a Time in the West as greatest films of all time.

OldBoy 02-27-21 05:18 PM

I find Coppola’s movies much more rewatchable. From The Godfather to The Rainmaker, Outsiders, etc. I can watch those easier and faster than say, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. I mean it’s great, but long. And, though Once Upon a Time in America is among my favorites of all time, even I admit I have only seen twice and last time a very very long time ago. The 4 hour runtime is just daunting and I like to watch in one fell swoop, but may disregard given I do want to see again. So much so I forgot most, but do know I absolutely loved it. Coppola I find easier digestible if that makes sense.

SeeingThings 02-27-21 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 13897971)
Coppola’s record may be spotty, but I’m going to have to go with him for making four of the greatest films of all time: Apocalypse Now, Godfather I & II, and The Conversation. There are also a couple of others that while not on par with those four are also good: Rumble Fish, Tetro, and The Rain People.

I like Leone a lot, but for me three of his films stand out: Once Upon a Time in the West, Once Upon a Time in America, and The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. And of those three I would only classify Once Upon a Time in the West as greatest films of all time.

Don't forget Dracula, The Godfather III and also The Rainmaker, these are all solid films.

Did you vote? Regarding your point, AFI and TSPT actually ranked some of Leone's films in the top 100, can't like em but there's a wikipedia page that has all the movie there.

So i would say Once Upon A Time In America is an all-time great.

I don't see this as an easy win for either director.

inri222 02-27-21 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by SeeingThings (Post 13898015)
Don't forget Dracula, The Godfather III and also The Rainmaker, these are all solid films.

Did you vote? Regarding your point, AFI and TSPT actually ranked some of Leone's films in the top 100, can't like em but there's a wikipedia page that has all the movie there.

So i would say Once Upon A Time In America is an all-time great.

I don't see this as an easy win for either director.

I re-watched Bram Stoker’s Dracula recently and did not like it. Gary Oldman is excellent in it and so are the visuals, but everything else about the movie is weak.

rocket1312 02-27-21 08:20 PM

I prefer Leone, but will readily admit that Coppola's highs are probably higher and has had a much greater scope to his output.

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13897998)
I find Coppola’s movies much more rewatchable. From The Godfather to The Rainmaker, Outsiders, etc. I can watch those easier and faster than say, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. I mean it’s great, but long. And, though Once Upon a Time in America is among my favorites of all time, even I admit I have only seen twice and last time a very very long time ago. The 4 hour runtime is just daunting and I like to watch in one fell swoop, but may disregard given I do want to see again. So much so I forgot most, but do know I absolutely loved it. Coppola I find easier digestible if that makes sense.

Length seems to be a pretty odd distinction to make when comparing these two. We're not talking Leone vs. Woody Allen (who rarely makes a film over 100 minutes). We're talking about Coppola. His 3 most famous films average about 180 minutes.

OldBoy 02-27-21 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312 (Post 13898062)
I prefer Leone, but will readily admit that Coppola's highs are probably higher and has had a much greater scope to his output.

Length seems to be a pretty odd distinction to make when comparing these two. We're not talking Leone vs. Woody Allen (who rarely makes a film over 100 minutes). We're talking about Coppola. His 3 most famous films average about 180 minutes.

yes, but Leone’s preferred extended cut of Once Upon a Time in America is over 4 hours. That’s a little harder to watch than probably the just over 2 hour The Rainmaker or whatever. Leone is epic, but really know more for his westerns. I believe OUaTiA was a complete bomb. Made for like 30mil which back in 80’s was quite the sum for such a sprawling epic about popular mafioso. Though highly regarded movie, I think it barely made back a sixth of production costs. Said Leone doesn’t have an Oscar though. If any director deserves it’s him. I guess only way now is honorary. That’s fine, but we all know the meaning.

whotony 02-27-21 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 13897971)

This movie The Rain People, what is it about I don’t recall it.

Hazel Motes 02-27-21 11:32 PM

Coppola easily. But I love Leone.

inri222 02-27-21 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 13898084)
This movie The Rain People, what is it about I don’t recall it.

It’s about a pregnant housewife who leaves her husband and goes on a road trip to discover her self. It’s stars Shirley Knight, James Caan, and Robert Duvall.

SeeingThings 03-01-21 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 13898031)
I re-watched Bram Stoker’s Dracula recently and did not like it. Gary Oldman is excellent in it and so are the visuals, but everything else about the movie is weak.

Should see The Rainmaker or Tetro which are at least solid films then.

inri222 03-01-21 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by SeeingThings (Post 13898556)
Should see The Rainmaker or Tetro which are at least solid films then.

Tetro is excellent. I remember liking Twixt, but it's been a while, need to check it out again. Have not seen The Rainmaker yet.

flansered 03-01-21 10:04 AM

I voted Leone, even though I think that Coppola's run in the 70s is better than Leone's filmography. The problem is that Coppola kept making movies, and some of them aren't great.

clckworang 03-01-21 10:06 PM

Another minor Coppola that I remember enjoying was Peggy Sue Got Married. Kathleen Turner was great. You've got an oddball Nicolas Cage performance and an early Jim Carrey appearance.

Wow. Been a long time since I watched it. Did it ever get a Blu-ray release? Need to look into that.

Hokeyboy 03-01-21 11:05 PM

Godfather, The Conversation, Godfather Part 2, Apocalypse Now... only The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is up at that level.

Hazel Motes 03-02-21 03:22 AM

If you took Coppola's films from the 70's out of the equation, I'd still pick Coppola.

davidlynchfan 03-02-21 11:01 AM

Sophia Leone :drool:

SeeingThings 03-03-21 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 13898568)
Tetro is excellent. I remember liking Twixt, but it's been a while, need to check it out again. Have not seen The Rainmaker yet.

You should see it, yeah Tetro is good but i barely remember anything about Twixt.. thought that it was meh.

There's some other films he did that i forgot though.