Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Popular Movies You Just Don’t Get

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Popular Movies You Just Don’t Get

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-21, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts
Re: Popular Movies You Just Don’t Get

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I love The Princess Bride but I wonder how much of that love is clouded by nostalgia? I can see how it might play a little too generic for today’s audience.
For me, the appreciation of the movie is that I identify with Fred Savage's character; I don't wanna see some Once Upon a Time fairytale romance, but just like him I get engrossed in the story.

Originally Posted by Groucho
  • Boondock Saints -- apart from a very fetching Willem Dafoe, what's to love about this movie? Just another poorly made late 90's Tarantino clone
No argument there, but I love it anyway. All the quotable lines, like "rule of thumb", etc. It is indeed a Tarantino wanna-be, but way better than pretty much any of the others out there (like, ever see Keifer Sutherland's Truth or Consequences NM? It's like if you literally took Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, True Romance, and From Dusk Til Dawn's scripts and threw them in a blender.)
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (02-25-21)
Old 02-23-21, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
If I recall, what was not-so-great about it is that it seemed to be a cheap 1980s synthesizer score. I’d be down for a Lucas-esque update with an actual orchestra.
Correct, there's nothing wrong with the composition, it's the ridiculous synthesizers playing it.
Old 02-24-21, 02:47 PM
Slo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never liked blue velvet
Old 02-24-21, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

My lesbian failure moment... "Thelma and Louise". I've tried watching it a few times, but always shut it off after the first 10-15 minutes. I just could never get into it. It just never clicked with me.
Old 02-24-21, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
How did you feel about Us? I loved Get Out, but felt like Peele's follow-up shot itself in the foot by having massive plotholes, a word I never use as a criticism. Ironically, I thought by trying to explain the film's central conceit, it made even less sense.
I thought Us was an immensely disappointing follow-up to Get Out. So much of Get Out was a slow-burn of unease that evoked some of the classic paranoia films of the late-'60s and '70s. Us, though more thematically ambitious, was just a mess of ideas and techniques. Peele should have kept it simple.
IBJoel (03-02-21)
Old 02-25-21, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65
My lesbian failure moment... "Thelma and Louise". I've tried watching it a few times, but always shut it off after the first 10-15 minutes. I just could never get into it. It just never clicked with me.
Perhaps you don't think that men are evil.
Old 02-25-21, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
How did you feel about Us? I loved Get Out, but felt like Peele's follow-up shot itself in the foot by having massive plotholes, a word I never use as a criticism. Ironically, I thought by trying to explain the film's central conceit, it made even less sense.
Still have not seen it nor am I clamoring to do so. My wife caught it with my youngest and she did not care for it so I most likely will take a pass on this one. If I were to stumble across it on HBO or something flipping the dial I might watch but not likely to seek it out.
Old 02-25-21, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Scarface (1983) -- the perfect example of glorifying an asshole that we've been discussing in this thread, and just not that good (honorable mention in this category to The Wolf of Wall Street)
I never felt the Tony Montana character was represented irresponsibly by the film-makers. He is shown as greedy, paranoid, unhappy and ultimately he and everyone around him died from his misguided ambition.

It's interesting that many criminals were influenced by this film but a character like Tony Montana does possesses many of the characteristics and goals our society seems to hold in very high regard; wealthy, ambitious, driven, fearless, shrewd and fiercely competitive,
Old 02-25-21, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Is The Lighthouse considered a popular movie? It was very well reviewed a couple of years ago and ended up on many 10 Best movie lists. I found it totally unappealing and unpleasant. Really seemed pointless and boring, though I at least appreciated the acting of the two leads. But man, it was a struggle to finish. If my daughter wasn't so into it at the same time, I would have turned it off for sure.
Old 02-26-21, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Blue Ruin. Seems to get praise alot in the indie circuit. Blah - Did not care one bit for this redneck tale of revenge.
Old 02-26-21, 04:05 AM

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
Blue Ruin. Seems to get praise alot in the indie circuit. Blah - Did not care one bit for this redneck tale of revenge.
I liked that one. I enjoy every film the director Jeremy Saulnier has done so far with the exception of Murder Party. That was barely ok.
Old 02-26-21, 07:14 AM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I liked that one. I enjoy every film the director Jeremy Saulnier has done so far with the exception of Murder Party. That was barely ok.
I liked Blue Ruin also. Eve Plumb was pretty good in it - altho her part was pretty small.
Old 03-02-21, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

The Tom Holland Spiderman movies

They are not horrible but they make me fee old and i like the Maguirre/Dunst movies better and it was too soon to reboot.
Old 03-02-21, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

It's revered by many in my generation, but I never thought Caddyshack was all that great. It's fine; it has it's moments, but that's all it really ever was for me.
Old 03-02-21, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
The Tom Holland Spiderman movies

They are not horrible but they make me fee old and i like the Maguirre/Dunst movies better and it was too soon to reboot.
And that was the reboot after the reboot.
JeffTheAlpaca (03-03-21)
Old 03-02-21, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Princess Bride?!

Shawshank Redemption?????!!!!!!

Y'all are talking nonsense now.
Old 03-02-21, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Damn, some of my most beloved movies have been mentioned here, but I suppose that's the point of this thread to some extent.

I'm sure I'll come up with more, but here are some thoughts:
Scarface - big agreement here in regards to the remake.
300 - all of the stylistic choices in this movie just made me laugh or cringe. Snyder has largely had that effect on me
Wonder Woman - I know it's fashionable to hate on the character right now, but I did find this to be half of a great movie. It really fell apart at the end.
Blade - did not work for me at all, second was better but still meh
Forest Gump - just no
Mean Girls - people love this movie. I think it's OK. I remember it got a lot of Heathers comparisons. It is no Heathers.
Early Jim Carrey comedies - it doesn't help that these movies came out during a time when every boy in my age group had an impression. Broad Carrey characters are better served for sketches, but I'll give an exception for Truman Show.
Sound of Music - I know it's beloved, but it's so damn bland.
West Side Story - Another one I know is beloved but it just comes across way too silly to me. It's not that I can't do musicals, but this one ... just silly.
Old 03-02-21, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
It's revered by many in my generation, but I never thought Caddyshack was all that great. It's fine; it has it's moments, but that's all it really ever was for me.
Selective memory plays a part. Everyone remembers Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield, Ted Knight and Bill Murray— and they’re all great (especially Murray). But almost half the film is the caddy kid and the plain looking Scottish girl he knocks up and none of that stuff really works at all.
IBJoel (03-03-21)
Old 03-02-21, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Oh, I'll add Pitch Perfect. It's another one that people loved. It was much better than expected, but I don't get some people's crazy love for it.
Old 03-02-21, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

For me it's most comedies.

Napoleon Dynamite
Superbad
Office Space
Anchorman, Talladega Nights (Well most Will Ferrell movies
although I did enjoy Step Brothers and Elf)
Borat

I don't know maybe I just don't have a common sense of humor? Some are just okay but most are just really idiotic or gross.
Old 03-02-21, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Man, so many movies I love. Shawshank, Braveheart, Fifth Element, Wick, Deadpool, Princess Bride...

Alright, my turn.

Ted - once you get over the cursing bear 5 minutes into the film you're left with a paint-by-numbers rom-com and not even a good one at that.

Hangover - So much hype and so little humor. How did this turn into a trilogy?

MCU - The Mediocre Cinematic Universe, bland action sequences, lethargic scores, and movies that don't stand on their own because they're mostly setting up for the next big thing. They're saved by the near flawless casting except for Downey. Iron Man sucks.
Old 03-02-21, 10:59 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

See you in hell, Matrix...
Old 03-02-21, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by clckworang
Damn, some of my most beloved movies have been mentioned here, but I suppose that's the point of this thread to some extent.

I'm sure I'll come up with more, but here are some thoughts:
Scarface - big agreement here in regards to the remake.
300 - all of the stylistic choices in this movie just made me laugh or cringe. Snyder has largely had that effect on me
Wonder Woman - I know it's fashionable to hate on the character right now, but I did find this to be half of a great movie. It really fell apart at the end.
Blade - did not work for me at all, second was better but still meh
Forest Gump - just no
Mean Girls - people love this movie. I think it's OK. I remember it got a lot of Heathers comparisons. It is no Heathers.
Early Jim Carrey comedies - it doesn't help that these movies came out during a time when every boy in my age group had an impression. Broad Carrey characters are better served for sketches, but I'll give an exception for Truman Show.
Sound of Music - I know it's beloved, but it's so damn bland.
West Side Story - Another one I know is beloved but it just comes across way too silly to me. It's not that I can't do musicals, but this one ... just silly.
I agree with almost all of these!

Exceptions are The Sound of Music, which I’ve never seen and can’t comment on and Early Jim Carrey comedies. Granted, Ace Ventura and The Mask have aged very poorly and I won’t argue with you about them but god help me, I think Dumb and Dumber is comedy on genius levels. It’s hilarious from beginning to end!

I remember watching West Side Story in 6th grade or so, right about the time Boyz N the Hood came out, and I couldn’t quite accept the “gang” aspect of the movie. Even as I’ve gotten older, I still can’t accept the stylized musical dance numbers of those rival gangs. I realize I’m probably missing the point of the entire movie but my mind is made up now.
Old 03-02-21, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Yep. I remember the hype at the time, and seeing it and saying "is that it?". The first one is fine, which I guess makes it better than the sequels.
Old 03-02-21, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by story
I don’t hate The Matrix but I agree, I never quite got the insane love for it. It was alright but listening to my friends go on and on about how mind blowing it was thinking that steak wasn’t really steak was just too much for me.

I’ve always placed The Matrix on the list of movies that I would probably enjoy more if the crazy hype hadn’t ruined it for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.