Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

movies like Street Trash, Cabin Fever, Society, etc. Who are they for anyway?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

movies like Street Trash, Cabin Fever, Society, etc. Who are they for anyway?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-21, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: movies like Street Trash, Cabin Fever, Society, etc. Who are they for anyway?

I didn't feel like the people who were doing all those horrible things to Bjork were actually the ones doing them to her, it felt like the hand of the director was doing all of it throughout the movie. It felt like Lars Trier was the one torturing her. Which is sort of ironic, because he basically was torturing her off camera. I dislike most Von Trier films due to his egomania. His ego looms too large in almost all of his films. It distracts to the point that it takes me out of the film. Other times he's just blatantly jerking himself off. I really hated Dancer in the Dark, Dogville and Anti Christ. I didn't like Breaking The Waves, but I only saw it once a long time ago, so I should probably give it another go, especially since I noticed it on Scorsese's Top Ten films of the 90's list. I didn't like Element of Crime much, but didn't hate it. The only films of his I've really enjoyed were Melancholia and The House That Jack Built. Why I liked The House That Jack Built so much when the film is guilty of a lot of the things I dislike about LVT is anybodys guess. The rest I haven't seen.
Old 03-20-21, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: movies like Street Trash, Cabin Fever, Society, etc. Who are they for anyway?

This thread reminded me that I haven't seen Street Trash since I was much younger. I definitely need to revisit it soon.

I do find it amusing that the OP criticizes people who enjoy movies like these but then posts on another forum that Street Trash is one of their "personal favorite underrated" movies.
The following 2 users liked this post by EdTheRipper:
John Pannozzi (03-21-21), Kurt D (03-20-21)
Old 03-20-21, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts

I like these types of threads for the recommendations that people give. Out of the three titles in the subject heading, I've only watched Society, which I didn't think was a masterpiece but enjoyed it enough for its balls-out insanity in the finale. I'm one of those people who likes learning about how films are made was rather fascinated by how Brian Yuzna took a straightforward horror film and turned it into something so bonkers.

I also appreciate when folks like Paul_SD are able to break down their reasons for watching a movie. My reasons for seeing anything come down to 'is this something different than what I just watched?' and 'what do I have handy right now?' I'm rarely able to analyze my own motives beyond that.

I don't mind delving into movies that are really 'out there' that would upset a lot of casual moviegoers (e.g., I've been taking a tour of the New French Extremity recently...yes, I'm late to the party), but I just find I can't watch the same types of movies in succession. For instance, if you were to invite me to a Van Damme-a-thon, I'd probably turn you down because I'd find that mind-numbing. (No disrespect to all you Van Damme fans. I like action movies, but I happen to think JCVD is his best film.) I have to follow up The Dark Knight with something like Society to keep my brain engaged. I've never had a desire to watch Cabin Fever and have never heard of Street Trash, but it sounds like I'll have to slot those in after my next big budget four-quadrant blockbuster viewing.
Old 03-20-21, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,824 Likes on 1,225 Posts

^ hope that has included Inside! My fav of the french extremism
Old 03-20-21, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
Probably, though In My Skin and Ils are contenders.
Old 03-20-21, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
A good friend of mine recommended that one, and it was my most recent NFE viewing. I quite enjoyed it but was a bit baffled (of all things) by the repeated mentions of the 2005 French riots. I've noticed a political bent to a number of the NFE films I've watched, but the way Inside handles it is odd because it's not immediately obvious what the filmmakers were going for. In terms of the gore, I liked that the movie didn't hold back and was surprised by all the bodies that got dropped because I went in thinking it was going to be mainly a two-hander with the stalker and victim. I'm quite amazed at how well executed the film was given that the directors were so inexperienced.

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Probably, though In My Skin and Ils are contenders.
Ils is the next stop on my NFE tour. I'll give In My Skin a try
Spoiler:
so long it doesn't involve the heroine eating her own flesh. That sort of thing really bothers me.

Old 03-20-21, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

This just feels like a trolling thread. Who are they for? People who aren't so easily offended or judgemental.
The following 2 users liked this post by clckworang:
EdTheRipper (03-20-21), John Pannozzi (03-21-21)
Old 03-21-21, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott
Ils is the next stop on my NFE tour. I'll give In My Skin a try
Spoiler:
so long it doesn't involve the heroine eating her own flesh. That sort of thing really bothers me.
I haven't seen it in over a decade, so I can't say for sure, but I think there's a smidge of that. A nibble or two, not throwing a slab of thigh meat into the frying pan. It's a very interesting film, much more psychological than gory. And Ils has very little gore as I recall, but it's grim. It reminded me a bit of Eden Lake, but with less violence.
The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (03-21-21)