Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Reminiscence (2021, W/D: Lisa Joy) S: Hugh Jackman, Rebecca Ferguson

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-19-21, 08:27 AM

Received 1,610 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Warner Bros. has put Westworld co-creator Lisa Joy’s feature directorial debut Reminiscence back on the calendar after temporarily pulling it off; the Hugh Jackman sci-fi thriller set to hit theaters and the HBO Max service on Sept. 3, Labor Day weekend.

Pic follows Nick Bannister (Hugh Jackman), a private investigator of the mind, who navigates the darkly alluring world of the past by helping his clients access lost memories. Living on the fringes of the sunken Miami coast, his life is forever changed when he takes on a new client, Mae (Rebecca Ferguson). A simple matter of lost and found becomes a dangerous obsession. As Bannister fights to find the truth about Mae’s disappearance, he uncovers a violent conspiracy, and must ultimately answer the question: how far would you go to hold on to the ones you love?

Thandie Newton, Cliff Curtis, Marina de Tavira, Daniel Wu, Mojean Aria, Brett Cullen, Natalie Martinez, Angela Sarafyan, Nico Parker also star.

Joy wrote and she produces with Westworld co-creator Jonathan Nolan, Michael De Luca and Aaron Ryder.
Old 06-03-21, 09:10 AM

Re: Reminiscence (2021, W/D: Lisa Joy) S: Hugh Jackman, Rebecca Ferguson

From writer/director/producer Lisa Joy comes Warner Bros. Pictures’ action thriller “Reminiscence,” starring Hugh Jackman, Rebecca Ferguson and Thandiwe Newton.

Nick Bannister (Jackman), a private investigator of the mind, navigates the darkly alluring world of the past by helping his clients access lost memories. Living on the fringes of the sunken Miami coast, his life is forever changed when he takes on a new client, Mae (Ferguson). A simple matter of lost and found becomes a dangerous obsession. As Bannister fights to find the truth about Mae's disappearance, he uncovers a violent conspiracy, and must ultimately answer the question: how far would you go to hold on to the ones you love?

Alongside Oscar nominee Jackman (“Les Misérables,” “The Greatest Showman”), Ferguson (upcoming “Dune,” the “Mission: Impossible” films) and Newton, (“Solo: A Star Wars Story”), the film stars Cliff Curtis (“The Meg,” “Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw”), Oscar nominee Marina de Tavira (“Roma”), Daniel Wu (TV’s “Into the Badlands,” “Warcraft”), Mojean Aria (TV’s “See” and “Dead Lucky”), Brett Cullen (“Joker”), Natalie Martinez (“The Stand” and “The Fugitive” series), Angela Sarafyan (“Westworld”) and Nico Parker (“Dumbo”).

Joy (“Westworld”) makes her feature film directing debut with “Reminisence,” and directs from her own original screenplay. The film is produced by Joy, Jonathan Nolan, Michael De Luca and Aaron Ryder. The executive producers are Athena Wickham, Elishia Holmes and Scott Lumpkin.

Joy’s creative team includes several of her “Westworld” collaborators, including director of photography Paul Cameron, production designer Howard Cummings, editor Mark Yoshikawa and composer Ramin Djawadi, along with costume designer Jennifer Starzyk (“Bill & Ted Face the Music”).

Warner Bros. Pictures Presents A Kilter Films / Michael De Luca / Filmnation Production, a Film by Lisa Joy, “Reminiscence.” The film will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures. It is set for release nationwide in theaters on August 20, 2021 and will be available on HBO Max in UHD, HDR10, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos on supported devices for 31 days from theatrical release.

“Reminiscence” is rated PG-13 for strong violence, drug material throughout, sexual content and some strong language.
Old 06-03-21, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 880 Likes on 609 Posts

Looks like some pretty decent visuals, if nothing else. The story (what I could gather from the trailer) isn’t really grabbing me. “A private investigator of the mind” sounds like goofy Hollywood mumbo-jumbo that was used in a pitch meeting.

Since it’ll be streaming in HBOmax, I’ll watch it but I’m not sure this would warrant a trip to the theater, otherwise.
Old 06-03-21, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanie Newtons the bad guy. Calling it now.
Old 06-03-21, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Jackman hallucinates EVERYTHING in the movie (including when he thinks he's not using the device). Calling it now.
Old 06-03-21, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 441 Likes on 359 Posts

Got some major Dark City vibes. Even Ferguson is a lounge singer like Connelly was in the former.
Old 06-03-21, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

I think given her background on Westworld and the looks of this, Lisa Joy could probably make a pretty good adaptation of the game Bioshock.
Old 06-03-21, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 304 Likes on 255 Posts

Rebecca Ferguson looks hot in the movie. Calling it now.
The following users liked this post:
tommyp007 (06-04-21)
Old 07-29-21, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 88 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Got some major Dark City vibes. Even Ferguson is a lounge singer like Connelly was in the former.
I just watched the trailer and reminded me of Source Code but Dark City does seem like an apt comparison.

Anyway, will probably check it out on HBO Max.
Old 07-29-21, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,320 Posts

That looks pretty cool. Will definitely watch this.

How fortunate that Johnathon Nolan and Lisa Joy, apparently the two people who seem most interested in memory in storytelling, found each other and fell in love?
Old 08-18-21, 11:49 AM

Out this week. Reviews starting to drop: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rem...ometer-reviews
Old 08-18-21, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,177 Likes on 876 Posts

Love Jackman and Ferguson, but I think I'll be checking this out on HBO Max this week. I'll be seeing The Protege in theaters on Friday and I'm planning to see Night House on Saturday.

I don't think this is going to do very well box office wise.
Old 08-18-21, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 880 Likes on 609 Posts

I’ll probably watch this this weekend for my wife. Hugh Jackman and this type of movie is right up her alley.

To me, this is giving off similar vibes as Transcendence, the shitty Johnny Depp movie from a few years ago. From the convoluted sounding plot right down to the needlessly goofy title.
Old 08-18-21, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
To me, this is giving off similar vibes as Transcendence, the shitty Johnny Depp movie from a few years ago.
It is a lot of the same people.

I'll happily give it a chance, since it's a lot of cast and crew from Westworld. I hope the sound mixing guy took it easy on the score.
GoldenJCJ (08-18-21)
Old 08-20-21, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk God

This is now up on HBO Max
Old 08-20-21, 10:57 PM

I really liked the neonoir feel, production design, and visuals. Rebecca Ferguson can by a femme fatale any day.

I was into the movie, but it lost my interest a little after the first hour around when Cliff Curtis’ role comes into it. In the end, didn’t care for the plot. I know it is a common trope, but watching Jackman pine over this woman was annoying and pathetic.

Last edited by dex14; 08-21-21 at 05:53 AM.
Old 08-20-21, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts

Tapped out around the 40 minute mark. What a piece of shit.
Old 08-21-21, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Made it to the halfway point then felt the need to go to bed. Looked good and I still stand by my claim that Joy should look into making a Bioshock movie, but just got too love story oriented.
Old 08-21-21, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Made it to the halfway point then felt the need to go to bed. Looked good and I still stand by my claim that Joy should look into making a Bioshock movie, but just got too love story oriented.
Her next project is the TV adaptation of Fallout... so maybe one day.
Dr. DVD (08-22-21)
Old 08-22-21, 12:34 PM
Premium Member

Received 414 Likes on 326 Posts

This seemed like the script was half baked, and way too damned slow. Show me Rebecca Ferguson all day wearing sexy clothes, but have her do something. Great cast who acted the hell out of a really bad script. Great concept, crap execution.
csant (08-22-21)
Old 08-22-21, 12:43 PM

No surprise, but this was a huge bomb.
Old 08-22-21, 12:51 PM
Premium Member

Received 414 Likes on 326 Posts

I would have been pissed if I watched this in a theater.
Old 08-22-21, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 539 Likes on 440 Posts

Glad I didn’t bother. I sort of thought the tv spots looked good for it.
Old 08-22-21, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk God

I just finished it. I watched about an hour late last night and finished the rest this morning.

I agree with dex's assessment. The movie had a very nice look to it. Beautifully filmed and good production design. I did feel like Joy was heavily influenced by Blade Runner and Westworld. It started out decent. But once they brought Cliff Curtis into it and it went that route with the story with:

Spoiler:

Mae was nothing more than a grifter who was conning Nick and working with Curtis.

It went downhill from there and Jackman's character became pathetic with his obsession over Ferguson's character. Daniel Wu was wasted in his small part.

Ferguson did look stunning in this and it was a nice bonus that she spent most of the movie in very sexy dresses, I did think she and Jackman had pretty decent chemistry.

It was a decent first effort by Lisa Joy from a production and technical standpoint, but she could have used a 2nd run through with her script. I saw she was solely credited for the story.

the ending was also very unsatisfying with Jackman's character basically:

Spoiler:

Sentencing himself to an eternity living a fantasy love story with a woman who wasn't real and betrayed him.
Old 08-22-21, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
No surprise, but this was a huge bomb.

Forgot they actually put this in theaters. I have a feeling this was going be a late August dumping ground one regardless of the pandemic.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.