Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Nolan Fincher film by film

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-06-21, 04:30 AM
Cool New Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty simple premise. Both have directed almost exactly the same amount of feature films. Both are staples of 00s/10s in their respective genres and have a similiar style.

Chronologically film by film. Which film do you prefer.

Alien≥ vs Following (wins)

Se7en (wins) vs Memento

The Game (wins) vs Insomnia

Fight Club vs Batman Begins (wins)

Panic Room vs The Prestige (wins)

Zodiac vs The Dark Knight (wins)

The Curious Case.. vs Inception (wins)

The Social Network (wins) vs The Dark Knight Rises

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo vs Interstellar (wins)

Gone Girl (wins) vs Dunkirk

Mank vs Tenet draw

6-4-1, Nolan wins for me. Nolan was better in the 00s, and Fincher was better in the 10s.

Old 02-06-21, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Re: Nolan Fincher film by film

No way does Fight Club lose to Batman Begins. Both great movies, but Fight Club is another level.
The following users liked this post:
inri222 (02-10-21)
Old 02-06-21, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 237 Likes on 188 Posts

Yep. Memento and Se7en are a tie for me, and Fight Club beats Batman Begins (though these are probably my two favorite movies of theirs). I'd also take Alien 3 over Following.
inri222 (02-10-21)
Old 02-06-21, 07:38 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Yep. Memento and Se7en are a tie for me, and Fight Club beats Batman Begins (though these are probably my two favorite movies of theirs). I'd also take Alien 3 over Following.
Alien 3 assembly cut is decent but what do you think about the rest? Iíd say that Mank and Tenet were both disappointing but overall both directors have produced a lot of quality films.

i donít see a easy win for either guy, even though I think Fincher is better at crafting things

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
No way does Fight Club lose to Batman Begins. Both great movies, but Fight Club is another level.
I think that Fight Club is overrated and one of Fincher's weakest films. Besides Tyler Durden, I really don't see how it can be considered better than Zodiac, TSN, Se7en or Gone Girl.

Begins is 3rd best Nolan film after TDK and Inception for me, so not an hard choice r
Old 02-06-21, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

Panic Room is better than The Prestige. I do not understand the love for the latter film, it's boring.
Old 02-06-21, 08:27 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
Panic Room is better than The Prestige. I do not understand the love for the latter film, it's boring.
What about the rest?
Old 02-06-21, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 118 Likes on 90 Posts

I used to like the Prestige better than Panic Room, but you make a compelling argument. Panic Room it is.
Old 02-06-21, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 170 Likes on 121 Posts

Alien 3 vs Following

Se7en vs Memento

The Game vs Insomnia

Fight Club vs Batman Begins

Panic Room vs The Prestige

Zodiac vs The Dark Knight

The Curious Case.. vs Inception

The Social Network vs The Dark Knight Rises

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo vs Interstellar

Gone Girl vs Dunkirk

Mank vs Tenet

7 - 3

Ill admit, that surprised me.
Old 02-06-21, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SeeingThings View Post
What about the rest?
I only included films where I've seen both. Fincher is probably one of the most talented directors who makes films I'm not that interested in seeing.

Se7en (wins) vs Memento

Panic Room (wins) vs The Prestige

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
I used to like the Prestige better than Panic Room, but you make a compelling argument. Panic Room it is.
Haha, no I don't. I've watched Panic Room multiple times, it's a well made, suspenseful thriller. I've only seen The Prestige once, it didn't click for me at all, and I feel like films that rely so much on a big twist don't hold up to repeat viewings. But I'm in the minority on this opinion and there's nothing wrong with that, both filmmakers do good work.
Old 02-06-21, 09:13 AM
Cool New Member

I only included films where I've seen both. Fincher is probably one of the most talented directors who makes films I'm not that interested in seeing.

Se7en (wins) vs Memento

Panic Room (wins) vs The Prestige

Haha, no I don't. I've watched Panic Room multiple times, it's a well made, suspenseful thriller. I've only seen The Prestige once, it didn't click for me at all, and I feel like films that rely so much on a big twist don't hold up to repeat viewings. But I'm in the minority on this opinion and there's nothing wrong with that, both filmmakers do good work.
so you arenít interested or havenít watched the rest? Would you give the edge to Nolan in this case?

i would recommend seeing gone girl and girl with dragon tattoo. But if itís not your cup of tea is ok
Old 02-06-21, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SeeingThings View Post
so you arenít interested or havenít watched the rest? Would you give the edge to Nolan in this case?

i would recommend seeing gone girl and girl with dragon tattoo. But if itís not your cup of tea is ok
I have little interest in Benjamin Button, The Social Network, Dunkirk(enough with the WWII movies), or Mank. I actually blind bought Gone Girl on bluray but haven't watched it yet, I think it might be something I enjoy. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo sounds good but I'm not sure if I'd rather read the books, or watch the Swedish versions since they adapted the entire trilogy.
Old 02-06-21, 09:58 AM
Cool New Member

I have little interest in Benjamin Button, The Social Network, Dunkirk(enough with the WWII movies), or Mank. I actually blind bought Gone Girl on bluray but haven't watched it yet, I think it might be something I enjoy. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo sounds good but I'm not sure if I'd rather read the books, or watch the Swedish versions since they adapted the entire trilogy.
I'd give every one of them a watch, you should enjoy Gone Girl. Itís thrilling and has great acting and storyline.

did you saw Tenet or TDKR or Interstellar?

Old 02-06-21, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 228 Likes on 169 Posts

I'd rather see a Fincher film before Nolan.
inri222 (02-10-21)
Old 02-06-21, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 288 Likes on 241 Posts

Mank was an unbelievable chore to get through.
Old 02-06-21, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 494 Likes on 355 Posts

Alien≥ vs Following - If weíre talking about the ďAssembly CutĒ. Itís actually a very good movie. The theatrical cut is pretty bad though. Not sure we can totally blame Fincher for it though.

Se7en vs Memento - I re-watched Memento about a week ago. It doesnít hold up quite as well as I remembered. Se7en is a masterful thriller.

The Game vs Insomnia - Neither are particularly memorable. The Game doesnít hold up under any scrutiny.

Fight Club vs Batman Begins - Fight Club is great for the first 2/3. It completely falls apart in the 3rd act though.

Panic Room vs The Prestige - Prestige isnít perfect but hold up much better on repeat viewings.

Zodiac vs The Dark Knight - Iíve really tried to like Zodiac. It just doesnít click with me.

The Curious Case.. vs Inception - IMO, these are the film best from each director. Benjamin Button lags a bit in the middle and could use some slightly tighter editing. Inception is Nolanís masterpiece.

The Social Network vs The Dark Knight Rises - Social Network is a great film. The Dark Knight Rises isnít.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo vs Interstellar - I love the atmosphere of Dragon Tattoo. Such a letdown that the trilogy never got made from Fincher. Interstellar is good but wears out its welcome by the end.

Gone Girl vs Dunkirk - Iíve only seen Gone Girl once and really should re-visit it. I just read-watched Dunkirk last week. I appreciate the more intimate approach that Nolan took.

Mank vs Tenet - Mank is a complete disappointment. Tenet doesnít make a ton of sense and loses itself a bit in the premise but it was a damn fun movie to watch.

4-7 in favor of Nolan. Both Fincher and Nolan are two of my favorite directors working today.
SeeingThings (02-06-21)
Old 02-06-21, 11:25 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Mank was an unbelievable chore to get through.
Good directing, good acting and great writing but yeah the third act is a bit boring.

not something I would revisit but it was better done that Tenet, which is a more fun movie thatís why I picked it, at least I did enjoy it
Old 02-06-21, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

I'll wait till stvn1974 weighs in.
DaveyJoe (02-06-21)
Old 02-06-21, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Se7en is probably my favorite film from either director. It's fantastic.
Old 02-10-21, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 144 Likes on 102 Posts

Alien≥ vs Following (never seen Following)

Se7en vs Memento -- both films are exceptional

The Game vs Insomnia -- both films are somewhat underrated

Fight Club vs Batman Begins -- another exceptional pairing, and BB is probably the best Batman movie ever made. But FC is next level, even if mindless dipshits around the Internet mistook it as a male empowerment movie for decades and continue to do so, turning it into an Incel National Anthem of sorts.

Panic Room vs The Prestige -- Panic Room is a bit Fincher-lite but enjoyable entertainment

Zodiac vs The Dark Knight -- probably the 2nd best matchup after Seven v. Memento

The Curious Case.. vs Inception -- I'm nor the biggest Inception fan, although I do like it very much. Benjamin Button is nigh-unwatchable

The Social Network vs The Dark Knight Rises - this was an easy choice. I like TDKR but it has its flaws. TSN is a masterful piece of work

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo vs Interstellar -- two subpar efforts, Dragon Tattoo is the better movie but neither is a slam dunk

Gone Girl vs Dunkirk -- haven't seen GG. Dunkirk is a quality film.

Mank vs Tenet -- haven't seen Mank. Tenet is a compelling piece of WTF Did I Just Watch.

So from what I've seen, it's a 4-4 tie.
Old 02-10-21, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Alien≥ vs Following

Se7en vs Memento

The Game vs Insomnia

Fight Club vs Batman Begins

Panic Room vs The Prestige

Zodiac vs The Dark Knight

The Curious Case.. vs Inception

The Social Network vs The Dark Knight Rises

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo vs Interstellar

Gone Girl vs Dunkirk

Mank vs Tenet (Have not not seen either)

Fincher wins 7-3

Best film of all is definitely Fincher's mastrpiece Zodiac