DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   I Care a Lot (2021, D: Blakeson) S: Pike, Dinklage, González, Wiest, Messina (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/652339-i-care-lot-2021-d-blakeson-s-pike-dinklage-gonz%E1lez-wiest-messina.html)

dex14 02-03-21 12:23 PM

I Care a Lot (2021, D: Blakeson) S: Pike, Dinklage, González, Wiest, Messina

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...3934bb764f.jpg

A crooked legal guardian who drains the savings of her elderly wards meets her match when a woman she tries to swindle turns out to be more than she first appears. Starring Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, Eiza González, Dianne Wiest, and Chris Messina.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9893250
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/i_care_a_lot

dex14 02-19-21 11:22 AM

Re: I Care a Lot (2021, D: Blakeson) S: Pike, Dinklage, González, Wiest, Messina

This is out today.

Crocker Jarmen 02-20-21 02:23 AM

Re: I Care a Lot (2021, D: Blakeson) S: Pike, Dinklage, González, Wiest, Messina

The first twenty minutes had me wondering if I had the endurance to make it through the entire movie, given how frightening and evil what was happening was. As the story unfolded I was riveted. The drama of the fight between these two forces was so absorbing, I felt I watching storytelling on the supreme level of something like the Coen Brother's Fargo.

Alas, it could not hold. During the last half, the tone turns into that of an entirely different, more conventional movie. It was exciting watching these evil people face opponents who were just as bad as they were, but with the ability to fight back. I enjoyed being in the position of questioning who I was rooting for. But once the movie came fully down on the side of Marla, it weakened.

It's not that the last half of the movie is bad, but it suffers from the greatness of the beginning by comparison.

TomOpus 02-20-21 03:19 PM

Knew nothing about this movie but noticed it was trending on Netflix when I put Netflix on. Rosamund Pike gives a great performance. She's so despicable, most of the movie I was trying to think what bad things could happen to her. And I thought the end was a bit of a cop-out.

csant 02-20-21 06:31 PM

Damn, hella of a movie this one is. Pike was awesome in this and overall very entertaining movie. I have to agree with TomOpus the ending seem like a cop-out but then again. This movie aint like something I have ever seen before. The beginning was terrifying.

Trelach24 02-20-21 10:41 PM

I feel like they had the ending and then they just.....kept going.

Daytripper 02-20-21 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Trelach24 (Post 13894562)
I feel like they had the ending and then they just.....kept going.

Agree. That was a safe and predictable ending. It's a great film, but I can see many people hating it. Aside from Jennifer Peterson (Diane Wiest), there is not one likeable character in the movie. All were truly detestable. Pike is officially now the go to actress to play the villain.

maxfisher 02-21-21 05:59 AM

I feel like the writer put a lot of thought into the scam and most of the plot, but very little into the ‘business proposition’ at the end. Still, it was a great little cat and mouse game and very entertaining for most of its run time. I doubt the scam would be sustainable to the point Pike’s character took it, as someone would eventually expose it, but I’m guessing similar injustices happen on a smaller scale all the time, which is pretty tragic.

RichC2 02-22-21 03:56 PM

I don't think I've ever wanted a character killed off as much as Marla in this movie. They made the bumbling "bad guys" way more enjoyable.

Macon Blair was the most likable character in the movie.

MLBFan24 02-24-21 11:55 PM

I thought this was fantastic. I don’t recall another film where I didn’t know who to root for.

Rosamund Pike is just great everytime I see her. Eiza Gonzalez is stunning of course. Plot was interesting and fresh. Not bad for a Netflix film.

Also had to look up Alicia Witt to remind myself where I saw her before. Hallmark movies!

:thumbsup:

Daytripper 02-25-21 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 13896644)
I thought this was fantastic. I don’t recall another film where I didn’t know who to root for.

Rosamund Pike is just great everytime I see her. Eiza Gonzalez is stunning of course. Plot was interesting and fresh. Not bad for a Netflix film.

Also had to look up Alicia Witt to remind myself where I saw her before. Hallmark movies!

:thumbsup:

I don't watch Hallmark. But I knew who Witt was immediately and remembered her from the "Cybil", "Friday Night Lights" and "The Upside of Anger".

Giantrobo 02-26-21 01:53 PM

This movie was...Hoooleee fuck. :eek:

Giantrobo 02-26-21 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 13896646)
I don't watch Hallmark. But I knew who Witt was immediately and remembered her from the "Cybil", "Friday Night Lights" and "The Upside of Anger".

And DUNE 1984 playing Paul's young sister.

OldBoy 02-26-21 07:44 PM

Fuck McDormand and whoever else nominated for GG and eventually Oscar, how bout fucking Rosamund Pike? Holy shit is she killing it!

Giantrobo 02-26-21 08:28 PM

Between this an Gone Girl...Pike has nailed fucked up scary women people hate. :lol:

Decker 02-27-21 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13897730)
Fuck McDormand and whoever else nominated for GG and eventually Oscar, how bout fucking Rosamund Pike? Holy shit is she killing it!

Pike is nominated for a GG. In the Musical/Comedy category. She could very well win.
An Oscar nomination seems likely as well. But the award is going to McDormand or Mulligan.

OldBoy 02-27-21 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13897871)
Pike is nominated for a GG. In the Musical/Comedy category. She could very well win.
An Oscar nomination seems likely as well. But the award is going to McDormand or Mulligan.

well, there you go. very deserving and yes, i believe she will be nominated, but unfortunately not win. actually, i would love Carey Mulligan to win Oscar, but not this year and too bad because PYW was amazing!

RichC2 02-27-21 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 13896646)

I'm marathoning House of Lies, she's on there too just defiantly busting out her boob to akwardly feed a 3 year old.

mphtrilogy 02-28-21 08:33 AM

Pretty good, hard to watch as it was finishing without having anyone to root for, however well done overall
2.5/4

james2025a 02-28-21 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy (Post 13898145)
Pretty good, hard to watch as it was finishing without having anyone to root for, however well done overall
2.5/4

That was my problem. From the start there wasnt anyone to root for. Just a film populated by horrible people. It felt like a movie created to anger and frustrate. Dont know who it appeals to. I hated it.

Crocker Jarmen 02-28-21 11:25 AM

What appealed to me (specifically about the first hour of the movie) is the storytelling. People don't have to be likeable if the story is interesting (Goodfellas).

While I wasn't rooting for a person, I was rooting for an outcome. I wanted to see her destroyed. There was great satisfaction in seeing her scam threatened by the mafia. She spent years picking on people who couldn't defend themselves, now the tables have turned and it looks like she's the one in over her head now. The fact that bad people are the ones doing it to her (and that I'm rooting for them) doesn't matter. First, they have so many resources it's like the mafia is a force of nature, you just accept that there is this badness in the world. Also, the mafia is never going to be viewed by anyone as other than bad people, while she has cloaked herself in the law and pretending to be a caring person. That kind of hypocrisy is more infuriating than a scum-bag who knows they're a scum-bag and behaves that way.

Which is why the latter half of the movie disappointed me when so much power swung back her way. I really wanted a more clever solution to the story. She still could have triumphed in the end, but watching the film it's clear the filmmakers are leading the audience to root for her to triumph. I imagine the Coen brothers would probably have come up with a more nuanced second half of this movie.

brainee 02-28-21 01:27 PM

I hardly ever turn off movies mid-way through (at least after watching for at more than 30 min). But I bailed shortly into the second half when it became apparent that Marla was turning into some kind superhero that I was supposed to be rooting for. Count me as firmly on the side of the Russian mafia in this one. Sure they’re murderous drug smugglers, but I’ll take that over Marlas brand of evil easily.

I did read the synopsis of what I missed after I stopped watching and fast-forwarded to the very end. That was no where near the kind of payoff I was looking for, and I’m glad I cut my losses and stopped watching. Sure, Pike and Dinklage were great but at a certain point as a viewer I have to ask myself what I’m getting out of it. 80% at RT though so clearly I’m in the minority. I’ve watched and enjoyed many movies with unlikable leads before but this one just didn’t do it for me.

RichC2 02-28-21 02:04 PM

80% critics, 36% viewers. You're part of the majority one way or another.

OldBoy 02-28-21 08:33 PM

Yes!!! Pike for the win!!!!

Rob V 03-01-21 07:19 AM

This movie was scary and excellent until the ending. I despised Marla so much but I couldn't root for Dinklage's character either --- he was really bad at his job. Overall, excellent film!