Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Old (2021, W/D: Shyamalan) S: García Bernal, Wolff, Scanlen, McKenzie, Krieps, Sewell

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old (2021, W/D: Shyamalan) S: García Bernal, Wolff, Scanlen, McKenzie, Krieps, Sewell

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-21, 04:38 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

It’s only a matter of time.

Two brand new thrillers are on the way from M. Night Shyamalan and Universal, and the first one that will be released is titled Old. The trailer, we’ve learned, is coming this Sunday.

Deadline reports that the first trailer for Shyamalan’s latest will premiere during the Super Bowl this Sunday, and Shyamalan just took to Twitter to share a brief little teaser clip.

Early artwork had billed Old as “A New Trip from Writer/Director M. Night Shyamalan,” bearing the tagline: “It’s only a matter of time.” You can check out that art below.

The cast for the “weird and dark” (Shyamalan’s words) movie includes Gael García Bernal, Alex Wolff, Eliza Scanlen, Thomasin McKenzie, Embeth Davidtz, Rufus Sewell, Emun Elliot, Aaron Pierre, Abbey Lee, Nikki Amuka-Bird, Ken Leung and Vicky Krieps.

For now, no plot details are available.

The film’s current theatrical date is July 23, 2021.
Old 02-07-21, 05:48 PM

re: Old (2021, W/D: Shyamalan) S: García Bernal, Wolff, Scanlen, McKenzie, Krieps, Sewell

Old
Only In Theaters July
https://www.old.movie/​

This summer, visionary filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan unveils a chilling, mysterious new thriller about a family on a tropical holiday who discover that the secluded beach where they are relaxing for a few hours is somehow causing them to age rapidly … reducing their entire lives into a single day.

The film stars an impressive international cast including Golden Globe winner Gael García Bernal (Amazon’s Mozart in the Jungle), Vicky Krieps (Phantom Thread), Rufus Sewell (Amazon’s The Man in the High Castle), Ken Leung (Star Wars: Episode VII—The Force Awakens), Nikki Amuka-Bird (Jupiter Ascending), Abbey Lee (HBO’s Lovecraft Country), Aaron Pierre (Syfy’s Krypton), Alex Wolff (Hereditary), Embeth Davidtz (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), Eliza Scanlen (Little Women), Emun Elliott (Star Wars: Episode VII—The Force Awakens), Kathleen Chalfant (Showtime’s The Affair) and Thomasin McKenzie (Jojo Rabbit).

Old is a Blinding Edge Pictures production, directed and produced by M. Night Shyamalan, from his screenplay based on the graphic novel Sandcastle by Pierre Oscar Lévy and Frederik Peeters. The film is also produced by Ashwin Rajan (Glass, AppleTV+’s Servant) and Marc Bienstock (Glass, Split). The film’s executive producer is Steven Schneider.
Old 02-07-21, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
re: Old (2021, W/D: Shyamalan) S: García Bernal, Wolff, Scanlen, McKenzie, Krieps, Sewell

IDK, not much interest in this one.
Old 02-07-21, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Man my perceptions are so screwed up by COVID. I was thinking "not bad for a streaming service) and then they said in theaters only.
Old 02-07-21, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Shyamalan has disappointed more often than not but when he hits it right, they’re really good.

That quick ad didn’t do much to excite me. The premise seems a bit silly to me but I’ll check it out either way.

If nothing else, Shyamalan is does great with suspense. He can make even shitty movies feels suspenseful.
Old 05-27-21, 10:25 AM

Old 05-29-21, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Similar to the Hulk's pants, even though the kids got bigger - their swimwear grows with them.
Old 05-29-21, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Looks kind of like a variation on the Stephen King story The Raft. If you're told to stay away from an area, there's typically a good reason. My question from seeing the trailer is that it appears they drove to the beach, so why didn't they get back in the vehicle and leave if they felt something was amiss? I'm guessing either the truck is demolished by whomever lead them there or it just conveniently breaks at the wrong time.
Old 06-01-21, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

^^ Looks like they cannot go back thru the cave that they came through to actually get to the beach (run on sentence). In the trailer, when they go back into the cave, they pass out (at least that's what I heard them say). If they climb the exterior cave walls, they pass out, etc
Old 06-02-21, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

This looks pretty terrible. Hope I'm wrong and it's just a bad trailer. I enjoyed his last three films.
Old 07-19-21, 01:51 PM

This opens this week.

Old 07-19-21, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
This looks pretty terrible. Hope I'm wrong and it's just a bad trailer. I enjoyed his last three films.
Yeah, I’m typically a Shyamalan apologist but this one just doesn’t look very interesting. I’d love for the reviews to prove me wrong.

I’m sure most questions will be answered throughout the movie but things like “why are their clothes growing too?!” And “Why are they aging with freshly styled hair?!” Are going to bother me while watching.
Old 07-19-21, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'll be the odd man out. I think the trailer rocks. The clothing and hairstyles don't bother me one bit as long as the story and characters carry the film. I'm really looking forward to this one. It does seem to have more of a Stephen King vibe than Shyamalan like Dr. DVD said.

On the flipside, the concept could run long in the tooth for a full length movie. The concept also reminds me of the opening of the 2nd episode of Fringe.
Old 07-20-21, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Color me as someone who thinks Shyamalan is acutely aware of the stigma that some of his most recent movies have been duds or too reliant on just a 'twist'. As much as this trailer doesn't make the film look amazing, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt to not put out another The Happening.
Old 07-20-21, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Thinking of seeing it on Friday. The local theater isn't playing it but it will be at a Regal. Weird thing about Regal is that their Senior price is more than a regular Adult price. It's usually the opposite unless they just don't want elderly people hanging around.
Old 07-20-21, 10:02 AM

I’ll probably see it Thursday night.

I think the reviews embargo is lifted on Thursday, but here are some early Twitter comments:
https://www.slashfilm.com/old-early-...n-who-you-ask/
Old 07-20-21, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I initially saw The Happening (2008) in theaters, so I might as well as see this one too

I've really enjoyed the films that I've seen Thomasin McKenzie in (Leave No Trace, Jojo Rabbit). Even though I know it's in-line with the Plot of the film, hearing McKenzie speak in a child's voice in the trailer, unintentionally made me laugh quite a bit.

Originally Posted by dex14
I’ll probably see it Thursday night.

I think the reviews embargo is lifted on Thursday, but here are some early Twitter comments:
https://www.slashfilm.com/old-early-...n-who-you-ask/
I loved Body Horror films, so some of those reviews have me hopeful.
Old 07-21-21, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I just saw an advanced screening of the movie tonight. This movie is much more straight forward and makes more sense than the majority of his other movies. It's not the nonsensical mess like The Lady in the Water or the disaster that The Happening turned out to be. The twist was more of a revelation than a twist. Think of it as something like a murder mystery show where you find out who the killer is. The revelation/twist is similar to something like that. Once you find out what the revelation is, there won't be much need to go back and look for all the clues like you would want to with a movie like Sixth Sense.
The following users liked this post:
story (07-21-21)
Old 07-21-21, 10:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Interesting….

Nah, I’ll HBO this one.
Old 07-21-21, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by E Unit
Interesting….

Nah, I’ll HBO this one.
I wouldn't pay money to see it. It's worth streaming when it comes on Netflix or Amazon. The studio sent me a bunch of free tickets to see the movie, so I went since I haven't been to a movie in the theatre since February 2020.
Old 07-22-21, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Thinking of seeing it on Friday. The local theater isn't playing it but it will be at a Regal. Weird thing about Regal is that their Senior price is more than a regular Adult price. It's usually the opposite unless they just don't want elderly people hanging around.
That doesn't make any sense at all. They don't even give you the senior price unless you ask for it. Why would anyone ask for it if it's more?
Old 07-22-21, 11:50 AM

Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/old
Old 07-22-21, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
That doesn't make any sense at all. They don't even give you the senior price unless you ask for it. Why would anyone ask for it if it's more?
ikr? Not a lick of sense. I'd like to know their reasoning.
Old 07-22-21, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I plan to see this Saturday, but M Night has been very much a mixed bag for me as of late. Split was great. Glass was a massive disappointment. I also enjoyed The Visit. I haven't had the time to see his Apple TV + show Servant yet.

Old 07-22-21, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Yeah, I’m typically a Shyamalan apologist but this one just doesn’t look very interesting. I’d love for the reviews to prove me wrong.

I’m sure most questions will be answered throughout the movie but things like “why are their clothes growing too?!” And “Why are they aging with freshly styled hair?!” Are going to bother me while watching.
The mother packed an extra bathing suit, so the girl was covered. In one of the trailers they do talk about the boys pants being too tight. I don't know if they address it beyond that, but it could be presumed that his dad packed another one as well. I didn't check to see if he was wearing a different bathing suit when he became a full grown adult as he did when he was a child.
The following users liked this post:
GoldenJCJ (07-22-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.